• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Jez Corden] We're getting a Lenovo Legion Go 'Lite' — Lenovo is potentially working on a more affordable PC gaming handheld

Topher

Gold Member
The PC gaming handheld wars are just heating up, with the Steam Deck, ASUS ROG Ally, and Lenovo Legion Go all rocking it out as the front runners.

The Lenovo Legion Go is my current go-to PC gaming handheld out of the ones I've tested. Its huge 8.8-inch screen is great for games clearly designed for monitors and TV sets, and the kickstand and detachable joysticks add some ergonomic flair that competing offerings don't. That being said, I would still probably generally recommend the ASUS ROG Ally overall as a better experience, with more-polished software, a higher-quality display (if smaller), and a more lightweight, less-bulky build. Lenovo might have a slimmer option available soon too, though.

Indeed, the Lenovo Legion Go is a heavy, bulky boy. All the features and beefy cooling packed into this PC gaming tablet adds a ton of weight to the overall package. Indeed, the Lenovo Legion Go weighs almost 200g more than the ASUS ROG Ally, accommodating features like that kickstand and a larger display. Sources familiar with Lenovo's plans tell us a less prolific version of the Lenovo Legion Go may be on the way.

Dubbed the Lenovo Legion Go Lite, the "Lite" version will sport the same Z1 range from AMD, but will sport some refinements over its predecessor. We're not entirely sure exactly what those refinements will be, but the "Lite" moniker could give us some hints. Perhaps it will have a slightly smaller display, maybe it'll ditch the detachable joysticks like the similarly-named Nintendo Switch Lite. "Lite" also hints at a more affordable price point, perhaps shying away from the Lenovo Legion Go's starting $630 price range for something more palatable. ASUS has a cheaper version of its Ally that uses the regular Z1 chipset from AMD, rather than the Z1 Extreme. So, it's entirely possible that this "Lite" version could also drop the "E" as well to impart some savings on customers.

It shouldn't be too long until Lenovo debuts its Legion Go Lite so we can get a better look at the real differences, but expect more of an iteration or evolution, rather than revolution.

Taking native PC gaming on the go has been something I've wanted for decades. I'm not a huge fan of Nintendo games and have little nostalgia for them, but you can't help but admire how the Nintendo Switch forced hardware makers to rethink portable gaming, and we're seeing the fruits of that now across the board. The vast majority of "core" AAA gaming is designed for higher-end chips and large desktop displays, but the efficiency of x86 chips has improved to a point where devices like the ROG Ally and Lenovo Legion Go can provide a PC-like experience without compromises. Well, besides battery life, of course.

Debated posting this because of Corden's "it was just speculation" bullshit of late, but he is claiming this as an "exclusive" report which typically means it is based on reliable information. Take that as you will.

So if this "Lite" exists then I'm guessing it will be just like Switch Lite in that it will not have detachable controls. I'm personally fine with that. Question is how big will the screen be and what much will it cost?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I would like to see a smaller sized Go with a 7.5-8” horizontal screen, non removable controls (to cut down overall size), ARR and either 24GB or 32GB of RAM. Oculink compatible port would be a bonus.

If they could manage above for a reasonable price, without cutting down battery size, it could be quite an interesting competitor. Mind you we won’t see any performance increases till late this year or even into 2025.

amigastar

All those Gaming Handhelds started because of the Switch, right? I don't really need one but good for those who like them.

Topher

Gold Member
I would like to see a smaller sized Go with a 7.5-8” horizontal screen, non removable controls (to cut down overall size), ARR and either 24GB or 32GB of RAM. Oculink compatible port would be a bonus.

If they could manage above for a reasonable price, without cutting down battery size, it could be quite an interesting competitor. Mind you we won’t see any performance increases till late this year or even into 2025.

I'm guessing they are probably going to be laser focused on cutting costs with this. If I had to guess, I'd say the RAM would stay as is. I fear, though, that it might have just one USB C port rather than two. If the battery stays the same then that would be ideal.

Really wish Oculink would become more of a standardized port for the eGPU market.

feynoob

Gold Member
Keep them coming more
episode 1 lol GIF by AwesomenessTV

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I just bought a Legion Go, and am loving it so far (other than wishing Windows 11 would debloat itself). If a 'Lite' version is the next iteration, I'm happy to have the current version.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I hope the surface team do design one.

Love my rog ally but after the recent reports I don't really wanna give them more business. Even though I want one with higher memory etc.

StereoVsn

I'm guessing they are probably going to be laser focused on cutting costs with this. If I had to guess, I'd say the RAM would stay as is. I fear, though, that it might have just one USB C port rather than two. If the battery stays the same then that would be ideal.

Really wish Oculink would become more of a standardized port for the eGPU market.
Unless they can price it for around $500, is there a point though until new chipsets come out? Either way it will be interesting to see what happens.

I do have a fear the manufacturers are oversaturaring the market and result could be underwhelming sales with everyone quitting this particular market niche.

proandrad

Good these companies need to put all their effort in expanding the market and not overpriced handhelds for a small niche of gamers. Handheld pcs have solved the intimidating factor of pc building now they have to tackle pricing. Steam is playing it the best, waiting for step up hardware to become cheap enough to mass produce before they make Steam Deck 2.

Ozriel

M$FT
I do have a fear the manufacturers are oversaturaring the market and result could be underwhelming sales with everyone quitting this particular market niche.

You’re kinda making a mistake treating these things like consoles. These manufacturers like Asus, Acer, MSI, Lenovo, Razer, Dell and others put out gaming laptops every year. it’ll be a while before we hit saturation point, really.

Also, as these get more and more powerful, look to more people replacing their computers at home with these. Dock for home use, take out for computing and gaming on the go.

Hohenheim

I love that we're getting all these handhelds. I definitly prefer the Rog Ally to the Legion Go, and will get the Ally X as a new companion to my Oled Steam Deck. But the more the marrier!

StereoVsn

You’re kinda making a mistake treating these things like consoles. These manufacturers like Asus, Acer, MSI, Lenovo, Razer, Dell and others put out gaming laptops every year. it’ll be a while before we hit saturation point, really.

Also, as these get more and more powerful, look to more people replacing their computers at home with these. Dock for home use, take out for computing and gaming on the go.
Let’s hope so, I guess we will see over next couple of years.

Topher

Gold Member
Kind of interesting to see that Asus is looking to go for a higher price point while Lenovo is targeting a lower price point.

Shooting from the hip here, guessing what the lineup will be like when Ally X and Go Lite hit the market....

Asus Rog Ally X-----------------$799
Lenovo Legion Go 1 TB -------$750
Lenovo Legion Go 500 GB -----$699
Rog Ally Z1 Extreme -----------$699
Lenovo Legion Go Lite ---------$599
Rog Ally Z1 ---------------------$499

MSI-----------------------who cares

Top Bottom