• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lenovo is working on a Windows PC gaming handheld called the 'Legion Go'

Minsc

Gold Member
So this is what happens when there's a large demand for something that's going unfulfilled.

I have nothing against Lenovo, I actually think they're one of the best laptop brands and cover many markets outside of just gaming - their yoga line is incredible, maybe even better than Apple in a lot of ways, but the pics do nothing for me.

Klosshufvud

Really nice. I love this handheld heat. 8' display sounds great. Hopefully it's also VRR and the battery is a big 60Wh kind. Lenovo makes some of the most price competitive electronics so this is really interesting.

Ally sold around 500k.
In japan is top#1 wayyyyyy ahead steam deck already.

So, there’s market. I returned my ally coz shit was buggy

StereoVsn

Exactly. And they are all having to create their own proprietary software versus one native UI experience that Steam OS would provide. Valve is missing the boat here, I think.
Valve has a few hundred people total. They are supporting Steam itself, their MP games, developing something I am sure, Index Hardware and Steam Deck.

Supporting an OS for different manufacturers with drivers, utilities, etc... is not going to work with their available engineering resources. And considering how Valve is structured, they can't just expand/hire easily.

ReBurn

Gold Member
holy shit lol thanks.

I'm just glad that the Steam Deck was the catalyst that let these companies expand out into portable handhelds.
If more are jumping in then hopefully it at least spurs some good competition.

It would be pretty cool if these other handhelds could run the Steam Deck's OS or if Microsoft would release a stripped down version Windows for gaming so that these things wouldn't be burdened with all of the extra services taking up resources.

StereoVsn

If more are jumping in then hopefully it at least spurs some good competition.

It would be pretty cool if these other handhelds could run the Steam Deck's OS or if Microsoft would release a stripped down version Windows for gaming so that these things wouldn't be burdened with all of the extra services taking up resources.
Rumor is MS working on OS mode for handhelds, but who knows if it's true or when it would release. Might be Win 12 by then.

Topher

Gold Member
Valve has a few hundred people total. They are supporting Steam itself, their MP games, developing something I am sure, Index Hardware and Steam Deck.

Supporting an OS for different manufacturers with drivers, utilities, etc... is not going to work with their available engineering resources. And considering how Valve is structured, they can't just expand/hire easily.

Not saying sell/support an OS. I'm talking about Valve doing something similar to what they did with Steam Machines.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Lenovo probably makes the best laptops so the hardware is going to be solid. That said, that rendering is ugly as sin. Companies should copy the deck ergos (except for L1 and R1).

But miss me with anything running windows that isn't super powerful. Win 11 is such a trash OS. NT needs a huge overhaul/replacement, and microsoft seems to forget how to make a decent GUI every other release.

Ally sold around 500k.
In japan is top#1 wayyyyyy ahead steam deck already.

So, there’s market. I returned my ally coz shit was buggy
Really? Where did you see that?

Rickyiez

One day these things would be mainstream and it's awesome .

I'm wondering why couldn't some of the big companies like Lenovo , Dell just buy the whole Aya or WinGDP company and be done with it instead of making their own .

Ozriel

M$FT
Steam should open up their Steam Deck OS to other companies. I want to see Nintendo get destroyed in the portable space to force them to release better hardware.

They’re launching their next gen Switch next year.
It’s not like they had that many options or choices for chipsets to use in the Switch in 2017.

Also, no chance these things have a meaningful dent on Nintendo handheld sales

The sucess of Steam Deck is not the hardware, is the software.

Eh, It launched buggy as hell. It was still killing SD cards when I finally got my preorder copy shipped, months after launch.
The success is really in the form factor, bringing the ability to play PC games on the go, and the attractive pricing.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
One day these things would be mainstream and it's awesome .

I'm wondering why couldn't some of the big companies like Lenovo , Dell just buy the whole Aya or WinGDP company and be done with it instead of making their own .
I hate it but i also want it. Ayaneo being bought by a big company like MS or HP to then work on their ayaneo systems without having to worry about indiegogo funding, lower subsidized prices for all the systems, better support and more advertising due to being HP, it'd be incredible.

X-Wing

Probably because it is cheaper/easier to create the utilities and drivers needed to make Windows work as a handheld. That and Microsoft's willingness to partner with Asus on their handheld is probably enticing possibility for companies like Lenovo.

I just wish Steam would make Steam OS publicly available for other manufacturers to use. Heck, make a desktop version while they are at it. I'd jump all over that.

It's certainly not cheaper. Also you don't need Steam OS to use proton, so I don't know why everyone is repeating that. Literally any Linux distro launching Steam on boot would achieve the same with little effort.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Eh, It launched buggy as hell. It was still killing SD cards when I finally got my preorder copy shipped, months after launch.
The success is really in the form factor, bringing the ability to play PC games on the go, and the attractive pricing.
Other than price, all of that existed before the steam deck.

The software is the only reason I even considered it.

Ozriel

M$FT
Other than price, all of that existed before the steam deck.

The software is the only reason I even considered it.

All that existed with niche Chinese brands at exorbitant prices. Why go “other than price” when it’s such a big part of the mass market appeal?

I hung around to preorder the Steamdeck the very day it went up for preorder. I’d have done the same if Valve had launched it as a Windows handheld, and it’d have probably had the same level of commercial success. Especially when it’d have launched with out of the box support for the most popular multiplayer games in the market.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also you don't need Steam OS to use proton, so I don't know why everyone is repeating that. Literally any Linux distro launching Steam on boot would achieve the same with little effort.
Maybe, but Steam OS's features are better suited towards a handheld, like a superior sleep mode, and better plugin compatibility.

ChimeraOS works but having an officially suported distro from Valve is better. Especially since when it becomes open source people can make forks that improve upon the OS experience, so even if Valve ceases development there will still be people making stuff for it.

Topher

Gold Member
It's certainly not cheaper. Also you don't need Steam OS to use proton, so I don't know why everyone is repeating that. Literally any Linux distro launching Steam on boot would achieve the same with little effort.

Of course it's cheaper. Lenovo already has developers that program utilities for Windows on their current computers. Asus reused Armory Crate, which they have on every Asus gaming computer, for Ally. Creating another dev team to handle doing the same for Linux would cost quite a bit when they have teams in place that can do it in Windows.

I didn't say Proton required Steam OS. Steam OS is nothing more than all of Valve's own application software and drivers built on top of Arch Linux. Yeah.....Steam could have used Pop OS or Fedora or any other Linux. Not sure what your point is.

Last edited:

Three

The biggest selling point of steam deck isn’t hardware. It’s the software and console like experience.
As long as they continue putting windows on it there’s no chance for them to compete.
The biggest selling point of the Steam Deck is the Steam/Valve association. Software and console like experience it isn't really, at least not any more than others, especially as it often relies on hot fixes.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Of course it's cheaper. Lenovo already has developers that program utilities for Windows on their current computers. Asus reused Armory Crate, which they have on every Asus gaming computer, for Ally. Creating another dev team to handle doing the same for Linux would cost quite a bit when they have teams in place that can do it in Windows.

I didn't say Proton required Steam OS. Steam OS is nothing more than all of Valve's own application software and drivers built on top of Arch Linux. Yeah.....Steam could have used Pop OS or Fedora or any other Linux. Not sure what your point is.

Drivers are provided for the Linux Kernel. Valve may have some for specific custom hardware in the steam deck but that is irrelevant to these manufacturers since their hardware will already be widely supported. The point is that saying manufacturers go with Windows because valve doesn’t release SteamOS is wrong and has most likely nothing to do with their decision.
Going back to your other post, you don’t need a SteamOS desktop. Fedora with Steam gives you just the same experience. It’s how I have been playing on PC for years now.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Drivers are provided for the Linux Kernel. Valve may have some for specific custom hardware in the steam deck but that is irrelevant to these manufacturers since their hardware will already be widely supported. The point is that saying manufacturers go with Windows because valve doesn’t release SteamOS is wrong and has most likely nothing to do with their decision.
Going back to your othe

I never said manufacturers use Windows because Valve doesn't release Steam OS. I simply said I wished Valve did, similar to what they did with Steam Machines. What I said is that these manufacturers, such as Lenovo and Asus, "probably" use Windows because they can reuse teams and resources they already have in place supporting Windows.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
All that existed with niche Chinese brands at exorbitant prices. Why go “other than price” when it’s such a big part of the mass market appeal?

I hung around to preorder the Steamdeck the very day it went up for preorder. I’d have done the same if Valve had launched it as a Windows handheld, and it’d have probably had the same level of commercial success. Especially when it’d have launched with out of the box support for the most popular multiplayer games in the market.
Because of windows jank. These aren't mass market devices.

Steam deck can play multiplayer games. Just not many FPS games. Then again, why would you play those with a controller? And since it seems most people are playing these on an outlet, might as well just stream from your PC.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Lenovo probably makes the best laptops so the hardware is going to be solid. That said, that rendering is ugly as sin. Companies should copy the deck ergos (except for L1 and R1).

But miss me with anything running windows that isn't super powerful. Win 11 is such a trash OS. NT needs a huge overhaul/replacement, and microsoft seems to forget how to make a decent GUI every other release.

Really? Where did you see that?

On the sales numbers, it just got announced. 500k units. That's an amazing start for a brand new device from a manufacturer. These things are just going to become much more of the norm and hopefully it drives Microsoft to be working on a gaming overlay for the devices and Windows.

The Ally was a amazing first attempt for Asus, I'll be there day one for the second one. Just move the SD slot, and increase the battery size and its perfect. Maybe tighten up the sticks and add hall sticks.

Being able to just jump to each launcher and I haven't had one game that I can't get running. It's the true amazing handheld I dreamed of.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
If Windows did develop a handheld-specific version, sure, but I very strongly doubt they will and if they did, how good would it be?

Microsoft by now earns WAY more money with its cloud services than with Windows and its toolsets.
And within their cloud services, most servers run what? Linux, so yes MS earns more money with an OS that is not Windows :LOL: The part that does run Windows tends to run the "special" server edition - and that actually isn't special at all, inheriting all the flaws from its big brother which is why it is really only used by those devs afraid to learn to use Linux, which is an ever-shrinking part of developers...
So my faith in MS developing a good, non-resource-intensive variant of their OS is pretty damn low.

With Windows, you'll have to make the device more powerful to achieve the same level of power as the Deck for running games, thus increasing price.

I'd get it if the library was very limited on the Deck, but it's just not - almost everything runs fine on Proton - and if not on the default one, there are by now good tools to use other Proton branches on the Deck.
The only games that tend to be reliably problematic are some multiplayer games that go braindead when seeing you're not on Windows and treat you like a cheater :rolleyes:
So if someone wanted to use their handheld primarily for that, I'd get it.
Everyone else just gets the downsides of having an OS running on it that was quite simply not made for that kind of usage.

If I wanted something beefier than the Steam Deck, I'd simply wait for the next Steam Deck.
Afaik, the plan is to work on a console-like lifetime schedule.

Being able to just jump to each launcher and I haven't had one game that I can't get running. It's the true amazing handheld I dreamed of.
Having to jump to different launchers for games sounds absolutely awful for a handheld experience.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
If Windows did develop a handheld-specific version, sure, but I very strongly doubt they will and if they did, how good would it be?

Microsoft by now earns WAY more money with its cloud services than with Windows and its toolsets.
And within their cloud services, most servers run what? Linux, so yes MS earns more money with an OS that is not Windows :LOL: The part that does run Windows tends to run the "special" server edition - and that actually isn't special at all, inheriting all the flaws from its big brother which is why it is really only used by those devs afraid to learn to use Linux, which is an ever-shrinking part of developers...
So my faith in MS developing a good, non-resource-intensive variant of their OS is pretty damn low.

With Windows, you'll have to make the device more powerful to achieve the same level of power as the Deck for running games, thus increasing price.

I'd get it if the library was very limited on the Deck, but it's just not - almost everything runs fine on Proton - and if not on the default one, there are by now good tools to use other Proton branches on the Deck.
The only games that tend to be reliably problematic are some multiplayer games that go braindead when seeing you're not on Windows and treat you like a cheater :rolleyes:
So if someone wanted to use their handheld primarily for that, I'd get it.
Everyone else just gets the downsides of having an OS running on it that was quite simply not made for that kind of usage.

Having to jump to different launchers for games sounds absolutely awful for a handheld experience.

You just sign into the launchers once you have purchased the device and then click the launcher, your games are there and once you have booted it once its just in the armoury crate overlay.

Using multiple launchers is unfortunately the nature of PC. it's not ideal but not bad at all.

I'm currently playing exoprimal on gamepass and I've had no issues at all with the xbox launcher and man, that screen...120hz vrr makes the deck screen look like hot poo poo.

It's an incredible device, I imagine you only play in one console? You don't have to sign into services on that?

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Using multiple launchers is unfortunately the nature of PC.
Indeed - and the PC experience is not what I want in a gaming handheld.

Though it is nice to be able to just switch to desktop mode with the Deck, plug in a hub, add periphery and basically have a desktop in front of me if I need one for development or whatever.
That's also what allowed me to turn the Deck into an emulation machine via https://www.emudeck.com/ (btw, that will support the Ally, too, in the future).
I'd assume the Ally offers a similar desktop mode?

and man, that screen...120hz vrr makes the deck screen look like hot poo poo.
I paid 500€ (I think?) for my Deck over 2 years ago. If I now paid 800€ for something comparable and the screen wasn't better, I'd be pissed.
But that's not much of a point to make, considering the age and price difference.

I imagine you only play in one console?
Stop imagining.
I basically never play on console - unless you count the Deck. Other than that, I do all my gaming on PC.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Indeed - and the PC experience is not what I want in a gaming handheld.

Though it is nice to be able to just switch to desktop mode with the Deck, plug in a hub, add periphery and basically have a desktop in front of me if I need one for development or whatever.
That's also what allowed me to turn the Deck into an emulation machine via https://www.emudeck.com/ (btw, that will support the Ally, too, in the future).
I'd assume the Ally offers a similar desktop mode?

I paid 500€ (I think?) for my Deck over 2 years ago. If I now paid 800€ for something comparable and the screen wasn't better, I'd be pissed.
But that's not much of a point to make, considering the age and price difference.

Stop imagining.
I basically never play on console - unless you count the Deck. Other than that, I do all my gaming on PC.

Yeah, I loved my Deck too but couldn't afford to own both so I went with the Ally for wider compatibility.

Yeah the Ally is just in Windows at all time so you just minimise armoury crate and you are in Windows. I got the Asus psu that has hdmi out, 1 USB and power for when I'm travelling. When I'm at home I use my old steamdeck Dock and it's just in desktop mode.

The screen really is amazing on Ally, it was my onky issue with my top end steam deck. Tilt that screen and it looks awful. I've had games drop to mid 20fps before tweaking settings on Ally and you can't really notice due to the vrr, I've only spotted it becuase of the fps counter.

Steam deck is amazing but I personally feel the Ally is the perfect device for what I want.

Klosshufvud

People overstate the role of SteamOS for Deck's success. Bare in mind this was the first PC handheld that could play AAA games across the board at an affordable price. It hadn't been done before. The Chinese devices prior to it cost twice as much minimum and used terrible Vega iGPU good for fuck all. Deck was a massive paradigm shift in the cost/performance ratio. I am certain a Windows Deck with a dedicated handheld control software by Valve would have been just as successful.

Fake

Without Steam OS Steam deck would never stand a change.

Would be another Windows generic mobile. And is not like Windows devices are not buggy lmao.

Because many people just want Windows. It’s a more familiar OS, has better compatibility and you can play Gamepass games natively.

Never thought I’d see the day where PC gamers would complain about options.
PCMR talking to console peasants about options.
52ru6j.jpg

PCMR when somebody suggests they use anything other than Steam.
48952b9e884da7e000edfb4a7798f00a.jpg

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Step away from the Steam Cool-Aid for a minute and it's easy to see how advantageous having Windows support on these devices is. Access to every game on all launchers, games running natively with the APIs they were designed for (no searching for the right Photon version), no anti-cheat issues, etc.

Gaming is a big reason for Windows dominance in the home space, MS would be smart to work on an alternate UI designed to function on a TV/Handheld with a controller. Make it something that can be toggled on inside any Windows install, a "gaming" mode of sorts.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If I wanted something beefier than the Steam Deck, I'd simply wait for the next Steam Deck
that's an unknown time from now.
The Steam Deck's flaws are not power but size. And if Valve aren't going to address that in the future someone else will.

Not to mention you can still install Linux on it at the end of the day. HoloISO or ChimeraOS are 2 very good alternatives until Valve gets their shit together.

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
This is a comparison with the Deck and the Lite. One is ridiculously large. One is not.
av85sf1h4mg81.jpg
Seems to me one is ridiculously small for a proper handheld and the other is not.

I'm quite happy I have a screen more than just marginally larger than my fucking smartphone to play on.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Seems to me one is ridiculously small for a proper handheld and the other is not.
The Lite is larger than the PSP, Which is large in comparison to the GBA SP. The Lite isn't even that small when it comes to handheld systems, it barely fits in my pocket when compared to a 3DS.

The deck is too large. simple as. You can easily get a big screen on a small handheld through removing bezels. There are a few other PC handhelds which have done a good job of trimming down the size.

Deck vs the Ayaneo Air, another PC handheld. there are newer models of the Air running on 6800u chips and a new model titled the Ayaneo Air 1S is suited to come out soon.
vM57vPzx6oUgcsEwdkNHzg-1920-80.png.webp

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
The Lite isn't even that small when it comes to handheld systems, it barely fits in my pocket when compared to a 3DS.
I and most others with a desire for a proper handheld system have no desire for anything that would fit into a pocket.

Yeah, I guess if you want something that fits into a pocket, the Deck is too big.
But it is aimed at people who want something that doesn't fit into a pocket.
And if something doesn't fit into a pocket, you might as well make it comfortably large so you can have both a big screen and a comfortable, ergonomic grip.
Otherwise you end up with something like the Switch, which makes your hands hurt the moment you touch these teeny tiny joycons attached to it... and I actually have pretty small hands.

The deck is too large. simple as.
Is that why you are the only one complaining?
Well, you and two reddit threads that got downvoted into oblivion for obvious nonsense...
Man, I bet Valve can't sleep at night.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Time for you to hit the weights my man

Working Out GIF
you're talking to a person who owned a Wii U and gamed on nothing but the gamepad for the entirety of its life. No pro controller. Just that fat fucking gamepad and it's touchscreen. And I LOVED it. The only people who are stronger than me are the Sega Game Gear owners.

That being said however swole i may become my pockets cannot get larger.

Klosshufvud

I'm quite happy I have a screen more than just marginally larger than my fucking smartphone to play on.
The Deck screen really isn't in proportion to its sheer width. There is the AokZoe1 Pro which has an 8' display and is as wide, if not slightly less, than the Deck. There is the Aya Neo Geek 1S with the display as large but significantly smaller body. Just removing the bezel dead space would put the Deck more in line with traditional handhelds, while still being exceptionally big for handheld standards.

GPD_WIN_4_mit_Steam_Deck.jpg

Also, here is Steam Deck compared to GPD Win 4 (which has a superior AMD chip inside). Even factoring in the track pads, it just dwarves GPD Win 4 which is about the size of a Vita.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The Deck screen really isn't in proportion to its sheer width. There is the AokZoe1 Pro which has an 8' display and is as wide, if not slightly less, than the Deck. There is the Aya Neo Geek 1S with the display as large but significantly smaller body. Just removing the bezel dead space would put the Deck more in line with traditional handhelds, while still being exceptionally big for handheld standards.
Not to mention that smaller handhelds like the Ayaneo 2/Geek 1S and AYN Loki still have remarkably good ergonomics while also not being really large. This isn't that much of a tradeoff.

I get it, i loved the ergonomics of the Wii U gamepad, it's the most comfortable handheld device i own (other than maybe the original Nintendo 2DS)
but yeesh dude. These are portable gaming consoles at the end of the day. There's a major aspect in making them small and portable so that your home isn't the only place you can play them.
The Wii U gamepad can afford to be fat because you need to be around a Wii U console to use it. You don't need to be around jack shit when you're using a Deck, so if you're talking it out with you on a trip, it should naturally be very easy to take with you. The packaging literally says "your games will be going places." They should lean into that more.

With all the smaller competition that is coming out i think Valve should respond with a revised, superior lite model with a better screen and much smaller bezels. I want something that's smaller than the ROG Ally, at the very least.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Not to mention that smaller handhelds like the Ayaneo 2/Geek 1S and AYN Loki still have remarkably good ergonomics while also not being really large. This isn't that much of a tradeoff.

I get it, i loved the ergonomics of the Wii U gamepad, it's the most comfortable handheld device i own (other than maybe the original Nintendo 2DS)
but yeesh dude. These are portable gaming consoles at the end of the day. There's a major aspect in making them small and portable so that your home isn't the only place you can play them.
The Wii U gamepad can afford to be fat because you need to be around a Wii U console to use it. You don't need to be around jack shit when you're using a Deck, so if you're talking it out with you on a trip, it should naturally be very easy to take with you. The packaging literally says "your games will be going places." They should lean into that more.

With all the smaller competition that is coming out i think Valve should respond with a revised, superior lite model with a better screen and much smaller bezels. I want something that's smaller than the ROG Ally, at the very least.
I completely agree. I'd say that Valve should use the Geek 1S as a template for a Lite revision. Despite being smaller, it still comes with a larger battery.

ayaneo_geek_1-1160x653.jpg

This thing is so ridiculously sexy and elegant. Like you could just take it with you anywhere and its excellent design just fits in wherever you are. I was considering getting one of those but unfortunately import taxes are just too high for me to stomach the risk of buying from unknown brand.

Topher

Gold Member
you're talking to a person who owned a Wii U and gamed on nothing but the gamepad for the entirety of its life. No pro controller. Just that fat fucking gamepad and it's touchscreen. And I LOVED it. The only people who are stronger than me are the Sega Game Gear owners.

That being said however swole i may become my pockets cannot get larger.

I hear ya bro. Gotta ask.......why you got Mattyp Mattyp as your avatar?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I was considering getting one of those but unfortunately import taxes are just too high for me to stomach the risk of buying from unknown brand.
and that's exactly why we need folks like Valve to adopt what the industry is doing. They can produce the most consoles, have the best support (not just in house but community wise thanks to all the Deck software being open source) and subsidize them the most, bring them pretty much anywhere. they're best suited for this.

And like I said, they don't need to make a more powerful console, just a smaller one. We can work out all the other kinks down the line but a smaller, more elegant console around the size of the OLED Switch would do wonders.

I hear ya bro. Gotta ask.......why you got Mattyp Mattyp as your avatar?
because the face is funny and it looks like he's tripping balls.

Top Bottom