• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lenovo is working on a Windows PC gaming handheld called the 'Legion Go'

Topher

Gold Member
because the face is funny and it looks like he's tripping balls.

About as good a reason as any.

Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

Last edited:

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Even factoring in the track pads, it just dwarves GPD Win 4 which is about the size of a Vita.
Not at all.
The trackpads are exactly what makes the difference. Where else in that setup would you put the dpad and the XYAB buttons?

I could imagine a version without the trackpads and that version could be smaller, about Switch size even, but it would also limit what you can play on the Deck.
Right now, you can play a lot more different kinds of games than on any other handheld or any console really - and that's due to the trackpads enabling surprisingly precise mouse-like input.
Not suitable for all games, but something like Baldur's Gate for example suddenly becomes very much an option without having to resort to analog sticks as a shitty mouse replacement.

And the additional space at the bottom for your wrists is extremely welcome, too - after all, what do controllers have there for a very good reason? Exactly.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I could imagine a version without the trackpads and that version could be smaller, about Switch size even, but it would also limit what you can play on the Deck.
Right now, you can play a lot more different kinds of games than on any other handheld or any console really - and that's due to the trackpads enabling surprisingly precise mouse-like input.
The trackpads are a bit of a difficult issue to solve. One solution i've seen was to move them further down the handheld so you can spread the dpad and analog stick out vertically. This reduces horizontal size which is good. an example of this is the newly announced Ayaneo Kun because Ayaneo seems to come up with a new handheld every time one of their employees breathe.

7mZgfrV.png

I'm not much of a big fan of the circular shape, here. I wish they were bigger and square shaped for maximum comfort.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Not at all.
The trackpads are exactly what makes the difference. Where else in that setup would you put the dpad and the XYAB buttons?

Not suitable for all games, but something like Baldur's Gate for example suddenly becomes very much an option without having to resort to analog sticks as a shitty mouse replacement.

And the additional space at the bottom for your wrists is extremely welcome, too - after all, what do controllers have there for a very good reason? Exactly.
You're still omitting the quite substantial amount of bezel dead space present on Deck. Regarding the track pads I agree that they are great. But personally I've never used more than one in my games. I feel like movement of character is best controlled with stick whereas of course mouse movement or aiming is superior with the track pad. Maybe controversial but I would be all up for a Deck v2 with slimmer bezels and just one track pad just to get rid off some of that sheer width of it.

Klosshufvud

If only vale would make SteamOS available for download and installation outside of the deck:

Or if only the opensource community would have created a community version of it:

Isn't that what SteamOS 3.5 is meant to do?

Topher

Gold Member
If only vale would make SteamOS available for download and installation outside of the deck:

That's not the SteamOS used on Steam Deck. That was the one used for Steam Machines.

Or if only the opensource community would have created a community version of it:

Somehow I doubt Valve is going to allow anyone to use that for anything other than personal use.

GHG

Somehow I doubt Valve is going to allow anyone to use that for anything other than personal use.

Well that's all that's needed really considering the open source nature of Linux. ChimeraOS wouldn't exist if not for that as well.

Letting people install SteamOS on any device they want to (without driver issues) would be a big deal. If that were an option then I'd likely trade my Steam Deck for an Ally or something else more powerful, but as it stands there's no way I want windows on a handheld device that's purpose made for gaming.

If Microsoft were to release a lite version of windows that ran the Xbox UI out of the box then that would alleviate a lot of the issues, but they don't seem to be interested in that at the moment for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
The Steam Deck's flaws are not power but size. And if Valve aren't going to address that in the future someone else will.

too big.

This is a comparison with the Deck and the Lite. One is ridiculously large. One is not.
av85sf1h4mg81.jpg
The size does seem silly at first, but the Steam deck is the only handheld I know of that has proper controller ergonomics.

I like the size of the screen and having a handheld that doesn't kill your hands after 40 mins.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Well that's all that's needed really considering the open source nature of Linux. ChimeraOS wouldn't exist if not for that as well.

Letting people install SteamOS on ant device they want to (without driver issues) would be a big deal. If that were an option then I'd likely trade my Steam Deck for an Ally or something else more powerful, but as it stand there's no way I want windows on a handheld device that's purpose made for gaming.

If Microsoft were to release a lite version of windows that ran the Xbox UI out of the box then that would alleviate a lot of the issues, but they don't seem to be interested in that at the moment for whatever reason.

I actually installed the Steam Deck OS on a little mini PC and was using it as my main PC for a little while, but I had to return it as the general performance wasn't where I wanted it. Sucks that this ISO only supports AMD GPUs though. I dual boot my PC with Windows and Linux and I'd love to use this instead of Nobara, which is what I'm currently using.

I saw a video from ETA Prime using Steam OS on Ally and it left a lot to be desired. What would be awesome is if Windows and Steam had native handheld versions and people could choose either at the time of purchase. But still early in the handheld space for PCs so maybe that's coming one day.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

I actually installed the Steam Deck OS on a little mini PC and was using it as my main PC for a little while, but I had to return it as the general performance wasn't where I wanted it. Sucks that this ISO only supports AMD GPUs though. I dual boot my PC with Windows and Linux and I'd love to use this instead of Nobara, which is what I'm currently using.

I saw a video from ETA Prime using Steam OS on Ally and it left a lot to be desired. What would be awesome is if Windows and Steam had native handheld versions and people could choose either at the time of purchase. But still early in the handheld space for PCs so maybe that's coming one day.

If I'm not mistaken that video from Eta prime with the Ally is him running ChimeraOS which is a very unofficial version of steamOS.

The reality is that nothing is completely ready at the moment on the Linux side other than what Valve is developing on the Steam Deck. The AMD vs Nvidia gaming experience on Linux in general is also an issue. Things are rapidly changing now though the appetite and interest in Linux is increasing, especially with DX12 shitting the bed. Give it a couple of years and I think the landscape will look very different, for the better.

Topher

Gold Member
If I'm not mistaken that video from Eta prime with the Ally is him running ChimeraOS which is a very unofficial version of steamOS.

The reality is that nothing is completely ready at the moment on the Linux side other than what Valve is developing on the Steam Deck. The AMD vs Nvidia gaming experience on Linux in general is also an issue. Things are rapidly changing now though the appetite and interest in Linux is increasing, especially with DX12 shitting the bed. Give it a couple of years and I think the landscape will look very different, for the better.

I'm hopeful you are right about the next couple of years. I'd love to see both handhelds and gaming PCs sold with Steam OS preinstalled at some point.

X-Wing

That's not the SteamOS used on Steam Deck. That was the one used for Steam Machines.

It's written in big fat letters:
Steam Deck Image

But again, as someone who games on Linux. You don't need SteamOS.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's written in big fat letters:
Steam Deck Image

My mistake. I thought you were linking the their old Steam OS page. Either way, that's the recovery image, not an ISO for installation on non-Steam devices. Granted, that's what the guys on GitHub used to create their ISO, but it isn't like you are just going to copy this image onto Ally and install it.

But again, as someone who games on Linux. You don't need SteamOS.

Not for desktop PC gaming, no, but if you install vanilla Linux on Rog Ally then how are you going to make all the handheld functionality work?

Edit: Watched the ETA Prime video again and there is more out of the box functionality there than I realized so yeah, you might be right here.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The size does seem silly at first, but the Steam deck is the only handheld I know of that has proper controller ergonomics.
I get that but at the same time ROG ally is (well, only a tiny bit) smaller and has ergonomics that are not that far off. Ayaneo 2/geek's ergonomics are also very good.
you can definitely have good ergonomics on a smaller handheld. I'm just hoping the next deck variant is sooner than later

X-Wing

My mistake. I thought you were linking the their old Steam OS page. Either way, that's the recovery image, not an ISO for installation on non-Steam devices. Granted, that's what the guys on GitHub used to create their ISO, but it isn't like you are just going to copy this image onto Ally and install it.

Not for desktop PC gaming, no, but if you install vanilla Linux on Rog Ally then how are you going to make all the handheld functionality work?

A huge part of it will work out of the box since it is in essence still a PC. Controller support will be handled by Steam. So just have the OS boot into Steam big picture mode. This is in a very simplified manner what SteamOS does on the deck, and this is also how a lot of people made "consoles" out of gaming PCs to play in the living room. Manufacturers could absolutely go that route, but I imagine Microsoft partners with them. To be clear, Valve wasn't innocent when they decided to go with Linux and Microsoft took notice.

Topher

Gold Member
A huge part of it will work out of the box since it is in essence still a PC. Controller support will be handled by Steam. So just have the OS boot into Steam big picture mode. This is in a very simplified manner what SteamOS does on the deck, and this is also how a lot of people made "consoles" out of gaming PCs to play in the living room. Manufacturers could absolutely go that route, but I imagine Microsoft partners with them. To be clear, Valve wasn't innocent when they decided to go with Linux and Microsoft took notice.

I edited my post above, but this is the video that confirms much of what you are saying.

Klosshufvud

Speaking of small handhelds. Look at this tiny cute thing

Supposedly 7840u performance in the smallest possible form factor. Now we don't know how well it will be cooled, battery size and so on. But it's a nice prototype of a clamshell compact design with a larger display seemingly being viable even on high-end x83 chips. It's fun times being a handheld enthusiasist. So many different design prototypes being tested.

StereoVsn

The Lite is larger than the PSP, Which is large in comparison to the GBA SP. The Lite isn't even that small when it comes to handheld systems, it barely fits in my pocket when compared to a 3DS.

The deck is too large. simple as. You can easily get a big screen on a small handheld through removing bezels. There are a few other PC handhelds which have done a good job of trimming down the size.

Deck vs the Ayaneo Air, another PC handheld. there are newer models of the Air running on 6800u chips and a new model titled the Ayaneo Air 1S is suited to come out soon.
vM57vPzx6oUgcsEwdkNHzg-1920-80.png.webp
Air has a 6" screen and terrible ergonomics compared to the Deck. And the latter has a huge plethora of control options that make life a lot easier in quite a few games without good controller support.

That said, yeah, if Valve could find a better quality screen with smaller bezels and either make the device smaller or screen bigger, that would be great.

StereoVsn

Supposedly 7840u performance in the smallest possible form factor. Now we don't know how well it will be cooled, battery size and so on. But it's a nice prototype of a clamshell compact design with a larger display seemingly being viable even on high-end x83 chips. It's fun times being a handheld enthusiasist. So many different design prototypes being tested.

I would love this form factor with 8" screen and larger battery.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

This is a recovery image for the actual Steam Deck and isn't really a full "Steam OS 3" release.

It's going to assume your hardware/drivers are what a Steam Deck needs not whatever device you have it on.

IS that community edition an attempt to solve the driver issues?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

I am really not a fan of GPD products for one major reason- their insistence on shoving a keyboard into everything they make.

what would've been an otherwise absolutely perfect handheld design was sullied by a bunch of tiny keys shoving all the real gaming controls up to the top. They really could've used the space better, like giving us a bigger touchpad.

That being said this form fact is the endgame in my eyes. if there were a steam deck mini that were more like this it'd be the greatest handheld gaming system ever made.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Not suitable for all games, but something like Baldur's Gate for example suddenly becomes very much an option without having to resort to analog sticks as a shitty mouse replacement

The same Baldur’s gate that’s on consoles, playable with controllers?

You don’t need trackpads for that

Ozriel

M$FT

Why are they wasting everyone’s time with that keyboard?

Klosshufvud

I am really not a fan of GPD products for one major reason- their insistence on shoving a keyboard into everything they make.

what would've been an otherwise absolutely perfect handheld design was sullied by a bunch of tiny keys shoving all the real gaming controls up to the top. They really could've used the space better, like giving us a bigger touchpad.

That being said this form fact is the endgame in my eyes. if there were a steam deck mini that were more like this it'd be the greatest handheld gaming system ever made.
I agree that the keyboard is just dead space. Track pads in its place and bigger face buttons would be much more ideal. It feels like on a daily basis, I find another Chinese handheld I feel is a 10/10 design

OneXFly for instance has nice haptic sticks and triggers. 120hz display. 48Wh battery. All in a form factor way smaller than a Steam Deck with a better chip. I am also intrigued by the Aok Zoe 1 Pro. It's a chunky boy but compensates by having a large ass battery (68Wh), nice 1200p 8' display and supposedly quiet and potent fans. I think I'll buy one of these one of these days. This technology is just too exciting not to play around with.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Klosshufvud

So….this or the Ally?
They are sidegrades. Ally can be found for pretty cheap refurbished though. It has smaller display and worse battery life.

Watching some reviews of Legion GO, I think it's a few changes away from greatness. And my initial worries were right.

-If they had ditched the detachable controllers, it would've resulted in a better handheld. They could've increased the battery size and probably shrinked it down slightly. Those extra millimeters in width are pretty vital from it feeling like a handheld versus a tablet. I don't find FPS mode appealing, Deck's solution is absolutely better with a trackpad with tactile feedback.

-The screen is great, and I think any PC handheld should be 8' and above. Even the issue with portrait and no VRR, I'd still choose this display over a 7' display with all that. Modern high resolution games simply don't lend that well on smaller displays. And neither does Windows OS. Those bigger displays are just so more pleasant and lenient on the eyes. And it also allows greater distance from the face.

-Cooling seems ok. But no custom fan control which is a bummer, and according to Taki, the fan is pretty loud. Which is a BIG negative for any handheld.

-The 7840U (Z1E) really shines at 18-20W TDP. Neither this or ROG Ally have the battery life to support that kind of wattage. You're losing a ton of performance by them cheaping out on battery. Which is really sad. Despite the 1600p resolution, this device could just as well have been 1200p given the performance you're getting.

Klosshufvud

This video highlights well what a dramatic difference going from 7' to 8,8' makes. He says it feels like playing two completely different games. I'm inclined to agree. There is a superior sense of immersion, clarity and precision. I don't think 7' is sufficient for these high-end handhelds.

Also, the 7840U chipset is so damn good. Look just what massive gains there are on Deck. Sometimes as much as 100% perf gain. Absolutely beastly.

Dream-Knife

Banned

This video highlights well what a dramatic difference going from 7' to 8,8' makes. He says it feels like playing two completely different games. I'm inclined to agree. There is a superior sense of immersion, clarity and precision. I don't think 7' is sufficient for these high-end handhelds.

Also, the 7840U chipset is so damn good. Look just what massive gains there are on Deck. Sometimes as much as 100% perf gain. Absolutely beastly.

Size is relative. People say the same thing about portables in general vs monitors and tvs.

Klosshufvud

Size is relative. People say the same thing about portables in general vs monitors and tvs.
Well that's comparing apples to oranges, isn't it? I was just playing Ace Combat 7 on my 8' handheld and I was barely keeping track of all the information, HUD icons and so on despite the larger display. I think this is worth considering if you intend to buy a PC handheld with the intention of playing fairly fast-paced modern games. But for older or slower games, it's obviously not as important.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Well that's comparing apples to oranges, isn't it? I was just playing Ace Combat 7 on my 8' handheld and I was barely keeping track of all the information, HUD icons and so on despite the larger display. I think this is worth considering if you intend to buy a PC handheld with the intention of playing fairly fast-paced modern games. But for older or slower games, it's obviously not as important.
Why not get a 12" tablet and bolt controllers to the side sony style?

For around the house I could even see a 24".

Darko

If you are interested in playing older games then don't get the Legion Go. The screen has been confirmed to be in portrait mode which causes some games to crash.

Here's a video describing the issue (timestamped):

that’s my main issue but I’m sure someone will find a fix for it if not already…

Edit: just watched the video.. guess it can be fixed with some titles and tools

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
that’s my main issue but I’m sure someone will find a fix for it if not already…

Edit: just watched the video.. guess it can be fixed with some titles and tools

Yeah.....could be. I'd wait for the software a cook a bit more before pulling the trigger. Some of the reviews on best buy have some good info, but not exactly glowing early on.

E1tgo9f.png

Last edited:

Darko

Yeah.....could be. I'd wait for the software a cook a bit more before pulling the trigger. Some of the reviews on best buy have some good info, but not exactly glowing early on.

E1tgo9f.png

I got it from best buy so I can return it easy.. until January lol…. I heard this app will fix most issues in games

Go has a ton of issues with software that need to be ironed out but I have faith

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Top Bottom