• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is it possible that Telltale's engine is this awful

While the engine itself is still pretty awful (facial animation just has to get better and overall character animation has a way to go as well; the most reliably hilarious animation in gaming is the "quick walk" animation in Telltale games), I have to say that the classic TTG crashes, save corruption and performance issues haven't plagued my last few playthroughs, being TWAU on PC and GOT & Borderlands on PS4. And it's also worth mentioning that the reason all these problems have always gotten a pass is because the writing - the most important aspect of games like these - has almost always been consistently good with Telltale. Just thought it was worth injecting a bit 'o love into the thread.

Hey, it's what you get when customers preference goes to story before gameplay/graphics ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What's with this annoying trend of people pinning up everything wrong with games on the one aspect they don't enjoy as much as other people?

bon

It's baffling that they still haven't gotten their act together in this regard. Use some of that Walking Dead money to make a decent engine.

Montresor

The Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us games chug occasionally on XB1. It's pathetic. They are wonderful, fantastic games, but the rare chug on the XB1 versions is unacceptable.

I love the art style in the new Game of Thrones game. The blurry water colour filter is beautiful. But the game is a mess otherwise. The story in episode one was boring. House Forrester is boring as hell.

There were some laughable moments early on. Episode one starts off at the "you-know-what wedding", a significant moment at the end of season 3 of the show. The main character is bound by duty to protect his lord's son, Rodrick, during an attack. So the main character, like an idiot, is yelling "Rodrick!!!!!!" while Rodrick is busy fighting traitors. Surprise surprise, Rodrick is attacked and dies due to the distraction. It's so awful.

Also, both Borderlands and GOT have spelling errors in dialogue. GOT misspells entirely as "eniterly" or something similar - I don't remember the context. Borderlands misspells the word friend as "freind" - I don't remember the context. Pretty embarrassing.

Check this video. It's the GOT theme song in Telltale's game. First impression was "Oh gosh, this is incredible, based TellTale, they did it, they actually did it!!!! They got the HBO theme song! And they're going through the world's geography just like in the show!!!"

http://xboxclips.com/OdadjianActual/ee175ce9-2108-4112-a55d-a15c979ac0d3

First: The graphics during the theme song are horrendous. This is a cut scene and it is incredibly choppy. Second: the textures at King's Landing and The Wall are embarrassingly bad, as if this was a D+ student's remedial OpenGL project. Third: after the camera pans past The Wall, the song skips awkwardly in a pathetic attempt to accelerate the theme song. Seriously, listen closely once the geography pans over The Wall: the music skips inexplicably like a Sony Walkman falling down Mount Everest.

Most importantly, TellTale has the balls to show The Wall during the theme song but The Wall ends up not even being a location you visit in episode one - just awful.

Even Borderlands was boring, although that game was miles more polished than GOT - it had good graphics, a far better story, good performance, and decent characters. But the stakes in these two games are so low. How can these stories possibly compare to post-apocalyptic zombie environments (Walking Dead) or a gritty, dark, rated-M tale about poverty, murder, prostitution, and slavery (Wolf Among Us)?

Squozen

TWAU runs great on my Macbook Pro - usually framerates between 40-60 fps at 1280x800 with everything on high + AA, on an integrated graphics card.

I wonder if it's just on consoles.

I had multiple crashes and heaps of graphical glitches on my i7 imac. I won't buy their games anymore with this engine.

Bio

I really thought with the new console generation they were going to do something cool and develop a game without Jank

But then GoT was the same ol problems

Why can't they get their games to run properly?

styl3s

Telltale games seem pretty ok on PC.
I have yet to run into any performance issues or bugs/glitches on TWD S1, TWD S2, TWAU S1 or the first episode of Borderlands/GOT on PC.

And i played through S1 of TWD on both PS3/360 and both ran great aside from maybe 2 stutter instances which seemed more like FPS drops then actual engine problems. I always hear horror stories of saves being deleted etc. but i guess i just got lucky.

Top Bottom