• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is it that The X-Files never had a bigfoot/yeti/sasquatch episode?

Idk why but I thought I had a memory of a bigfoot episode as a child. I've been rewatching The X-Files over the past few months and it looks like there is no bigfoot episode. I'm thinking my memories have been distorted and just mixed up random scenes from the Jersey Devil/lochness monster/Detour episode.

pretty strange that a show like The X-Files never covered bigfoot. what gives?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Xl68jQZWF2LNSaB3DenJ9-vdgLDd5BG_Gco0XNY_-_I.jpg
They did?

Xl68jQZWF2LNSaB3DenJ9-vdgLDd5BG_Gco0XNY_-_I.jpg
They did?

1st season too. And the "bigfoot" was pretty hot, feral cannibalism aside.

I actually watched this episode last night.

That’s the Jersey Devil episode that I mention in the OP. He’s looking at a picture of what he thought was a Neanderthal still alive today but turns out to be a feral woman (or the twist being the police were covering up that she was actually a Neanderthal). Bigfoot never even came up. The episode was actually about cannibalism and stuff and ends with a shot of the woman’s feral child.

Last edited:

That’s the Jersey Devil episode that I mention in the OP. He’s looking at a picture of what he thought was a Neanderthal still alive today but turns out to be a feral woman (or the twist being the police were covering up that she was actually a Neanderthal). Bigfoot never even came up. The episode was actually about cannibalism and stuff and ends with a shot of the woman’s feral child.

Like a lot of X-Files episodes, it suggests that the broader myth is based in something different than what is on the surface within the universe. In this case, the suggestion is that there are more of these Neanderthals across the country and world who are what is actually seen in cases of "wildmen" and cryptohominids.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Yeah, they don’t use the word bigfoot but the image is still a homage to bigfoot, it practically mirrors the stance of the creature in the GIF you used.

Yeah, they don’t use the word bigfoot but the image is still a homage to bigfoot, it practically mirrors the stance of the creature in the GIF you used.
I saw it as more as a little joke hidden in the episode. The wild men/feral people/yahoo in Australia/etc are a completely different phenomenon than Bigfoot. Plus Bigfoot lore doesn’t typically include the eating of humans.

I saw it as more as a little joke hidden in the episode. The wild men/feral people/yahoo in Australia/etc are a completely different phenomenon than Bigfoot. Plus Bigfoot lore doesn’t typically include the eating of humans.

Actually, wildmen lore has a lot of stories about them eating people. And there is lore about man-eating giants across the world too.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I can relate.

I remember a show from that timeframe with Bigfoot footprint measurements taking place. I think we are mixing up our childhood memories.

Elysion

Banned
I found it annoying that a lot of the episodes dealing with cryptids were joke episodes, like the Loch Ness one, or the one about Chupacabras, if I remember correctly. Missed opportunity, imo.

I always preferred the episodes with terrifying, undiscovered (but terrestrial) animals/organisms that defy standard biology the most (like that creepy aquatic humanoid with the gaping, round mouth from one of the earlier seasons).

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I found it annoying that a lot of the episodes dealing with cryptids were joke episodes, like the Loch Ness one, or the one about Chupacabras, if I remember correctly. Missed opportunity, imo.
I think it was the right idea. The underlying plot of the show is aliens and alien abduction, and it’s terribly serious from the get go. Mulder discovering actual Nessie would be corny as hell. They did a very good job subverting trite tropes and going for more original stuff, and I always liked how they made some joke episodes to lighten up things a bit. The X-Files’ worst monsters were practically always human anyway, from government men to the unforgettable Eugene Tooms.

Madevil

It's Yowie in Australia. Good post.

INC

I did a rewatch of the xfiles last year. amazing. I do one about every 5-10 years.

Hope to do my next one in about 7 years from now with my son.

Same, but I always lose interest as soon as the T1000 turns up, then it goes to shit.

Is the new series any good?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Same, but I always lose interest as soon as the T1000 turns up, then it goes to shit.

Is the new series any good?

I admit the show was not great at the end but there are some good episodes in those last seasons, usually the monster of hte week episdoes, and not the central storyline ones. I prefer T1000 to Agent Reyes she really annoys me.

Season 10 was terrible, 11 was better (I didnt rewatch that one yet). But again, the central mythology arc is what drags down seasons 7-11 in my opinion. It was too convoluted and made no sense anymore and wasnt as interesting.

INC

I admit the show was not great at the end but there are some good episodes in those last seasons, usually the monster of hte week episdoes, and not the central storyline ones. I prefer T1000 to Agent Reyes she really annoys me.

Season 10 was terrible, 11 was better (I didnt rewatch that one yet). But again, the central mythology arc is what drags down seasons 7-11 in my opinion. It was too convoluted and made no sense anymore and wasnt as interesting.

I think x-file goes to shit just after the first film.

Before that tho, still a legit great show, it got too caught up with its threaded story line.

Plus the early episode you see loads of "before they were famous" cameos

QSD

I think x-file goes to shit just after the first film.

Before that tho, still a legit great show, it got too caught up with its threaded story line.

Plus the early episode you see loads of "before they were famous" cameos
Yeah, the X-files was the first show that basically suffered from the syndrome that series like Lost and Game of Thrones are now famous for. I.E. write an increasingly complicated 'mystery box' story, but have no idea how to resolve all the threads in a satisfying way.

I actually did like the 2 new agents in the later seasons, especially Robert Patrick who was great and gave a real new perspective on the show.

It's Yowie in Australia. Good post.

I thought the yahoo fit more with the episode, but yeah yowie kinda fits too

Joyner's interest has been in the nineteenth century phenomenon known as the yahoo (also called the hairy man, Australian ape or Australian gorilla), a shadowy creature then seen as an undiscovered marsupial but one that was presumably extinct by the early twentieth century.

Last edited:

Madevil

I thought the yahoo fit more with the episode, but yeah yowie kinda fits too

Joyner's interest has been in the nineteenth century phenomenon known as the yahoo (also called the hairy man, Australian ape or Australian gorilla), a shadowy creature then seen as an undiscovered marsupial but one that was presumably extinct by the early twentieth century.
Shit, don't mind me. You're absolutely right. I completely forgot about that. Apologies dude.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
My perception is that it mostly centered around aliens? I've only seen a handful of episodes. I should probably get around to watching it all one day.

Last edited:

Coconutt

Yo I decided to start watching X-FIles on a whim and I'm loving it, currently on season 5. I figured a show with so many seasons must be somewhat decent but I never hear it brough up or talked about.

Seasons 3 through 6 are really the best of the best....the faux mulder and scully episodes do bring it down but 10 and 11 make up for it and are great. 10 has much tighter writing.

I also think the second movie is very underated, people didnt like it because it wasnt aliens...but i liked its focus on Mulder and Skullys complicated relationship and Mulders obsessions.

We were never supposed to get so many seasons and it was supposed to become a film franchise but the film was so popular they demanded more seasons instead. Still i think the season after the first film has some really great weird episodes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom