• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Square Enix financial situation at the moment?

Square Enix had some real financial problems in the last generation due to some reasons (ff14 disaster, low sales on western games / SE expecatations too high, Crystal Engine was a failure --> no licensing possible)

im not sure, but i think the financial hell took place between 2010-2013 with its peak in 2013.

Its last financial year saw a catastrophic loss of 13.7bn yen (around £83m)
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-05-final-fantasy-14-helps-square-enix-swing-back-to-profit

-in 2013 also Yoichi Wada stepped back

- the former CEO of Squaresoft wrote on twitter, that as of now (in 2013) Square Enix is in a worse financial shape, that Squaresoft was after the movie disaster.

Here is actually a good summary of their financial evolution http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744184

I was really worried for the future of this studio.
But it looks like they got back on track again.

- Reformation of the studio with new CEO Matsuda
- FF14 a Realm Reborn was a succes and made/makes money
- unexptected succes of bravely default (toough i dont know if this is big in comparison to their AAA Games)
- Their mobile Games are booming
- Microsoft Money for Tomb Raider? (speculation)
- the financial reports from 2014 were positive (black numers, profit)

So my question is : How is the financial situation of Square Enix right now in comparison to

a) Squaresoft at their peak

b) the big western studios (activision,ubisoft,ea)

c) the big japanese studios (konami, Namco, Sega)

Turkoop

Banned
I think they are in a worse situation
But they getting better
If FFXV, Hitman and Tomb Raider are successful they shouldn't anymore in a worse situation
But if they fail, who knows if SE will be alive in the next few years

Capcom is now more connected to Sony, I think Sony paid a lot of money for Deep Down and SFV
And there's coming Resident evil 7 and Dragons Dogma Online /2

I guess we have to wait. But they are in a better way than the last year's

Culex

Banned
They are in a terrible situation currently because outside of iOS/android titles there is little revenue coming in. If any of the future titles flops, expect more restructuring and financial losses.

Rixa

They are in a terrible situation currently because outside of iOS/android titles there is little revenue coming in. If any of the future titles flops, expect more restructuring and financial losses.

I thought that FFXIV:ARR is making money again?

Bluth54

I thought that FFXIV:ARR is making money again?

It probably is now, but have they made up for all the money they sunk into development of the game and the time they had to redevelop the game and let people play for free?

BokehKing

Banned
They can always do what they did with Microsoft (maybe do it with Sony or Microsoft again) and sell off exclusivity to get bonus cash flow

I wouldn't like it though

If it weren't for their purchase of SCi several years ago I'd say they would be almost completely irrelevant by now. What this company needs is proper investment in some new IPs that they can build up to be as strong as Deus Ex and Tomb Raider, and so on. But they're terrified of trying anything outside their comfort zone and instead want to make a million FF spin offs. Bravely Default was a step in the right direction, but they need more successes like that. Wasn't it only localised because Ninty did it themselves?

They've been horribly mismanaged for about a decade now and really need to expand their catalogue so they're not leaning so heavily on Final Fantasy.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
SE is fine with their new CEO

Stock-value almost tripled since his arrival with operating margins increasing as well.

Top Bottom