• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is the iOS keyboard so good?

cormack12

Gold Member
So I'm an android user mainly, android phone and tablet. I hate iOS in general on the iPad, hate the app store design, hate the padding on the icons and just pretty much dislike everything about the software. However the keyboard.......that sweet delicious keyboard. I've tried the native Android keyboard, gBoard, Swype etc. and they are all just lacking in one way or another.

I mainly have issues fast typing on the Android board. I can type like on a keyboard on the ipad and it seems to keep up, like store the inputs in a buffer, on Android it seems to block certain inputs if done too quickly. Onenote mobile is irritating because it doesn't do ink-to-text either which means I have to use the keyboard or import to the desktop app.

The little quality of features as well like pull down for the numbers instead of swapping between contexts is really useful. Is this a technical thing, software limitation or just Google aren't really interested in making the keyboard best-in-class?

It could be the low touch latency of the screen that makes the iPhone keyboard seem so good. I remember Google prioritized this on the Pixel phones but it never got as good as Apple. For whatever reason, it seems like a lot of Android phones don't get this right although I haven't personally tried one for a while now.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Definitely the touch response latency. On iOS, user touch operations take priority over and all other CPU tasks. It's a decision made over a decade ago that still stands out.

Makariel

Strange, I feel the opposite, when using my iPhone I get annoyed by the keyboard. I much prefer SwiftKey on my Android phone.

p.s. yes I have 3 phones.

Pagusas

Elden Member
for sure the latency and how the OS prioritizes touch, than gui response, over all other operations. It was probably the best choice apple made with the iphone, as to this day it still sets it apart. I have no clue why Android hasnt copied this. Its the first thing I notice when switching back and forth between android and iphone, and other than imessage, its what keeps me on iphone.

Nymphae

Banned
I think all mobile keyboards are shit. I've been using them for like a decade and still just can't find one that works well. Autocorrect is still a frustration no matter what I use, and turning it off is more frustrating.

I've settled on Swiftkey for android, but I hate how you can't remove the period key, many users seem to accidentally hit it when going for the space bar quite frequently, and they don't seem interested in allowing you to customize the layout.

Top Bottom