• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is your Xbox One X fan during Red Dead Redemption 2?

Skyn3t

Banned
Do The game looks downright gorgeus, but after playing a while at night and taking hedphones from my head I've noticed that my Xbox One X fan is constantly wooshing. Nothing like PS4 Pro level od noise, but still. Guess the game pushes the hardware really hard.

I'm picking the game up tomorrow but after playing like 30 enhanced games on the system the most I've ever heard from it is a quick like 3 second burst to expel heat then it immediately went silent again, this happens rarely.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What's this PS4 Pro level od noise business?
Mine is generally low volume, although COD and GOW's main title screen seems to make it whirl a bit.
Should I be expecting to higher the volume with RDR2?

Mine is generally low volume, although COD and GOW's main title screen seems to make it whirl a bit.

My Pro fan isn’t blaring constantly but does kick into full gear occasionally every session for sure.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Didn't notice any noice last night while sitting 4 feet away, but I did have the speakers up. I will have to pay more attention and see if it is louder than normal.

TacosNSalsa

I sit at a desk and play on a monitor and it's about 4 feet from me ...I don't remember hearing it over the 4 hours I've put in..to be honest though I wasn't particularly listening for it though..that's good though right? I it wasn't noticeable

Xyrmellon

I noticed this immediately last night on my X. It blasts pretty hard for almost the entire time the game is running.

Drewpee

Banned
I must be incredibly lucky because I have owned an X since just after launch and have never heard the fan once, regardless of what I am doing on the system.

MayauMiao

I think we should also mention the room temperature to be sure. If the room air is cold then it may help to cool down the console thus requiring less workout for the fan.

kingwingin

I didnt notice mine last night, i sit close enough to reach over and touch my X but ill pay more attention next time im on

Calibos

We were just talking about this at work in general. Lately, with some games, my X1X fans run at full speed during pause screens and in game menus. State of decay being one....hit the inventory and boom, the fan kicks into high gear. On exiting inventory, its like someone pulled the plug...completely silent during gameplay. No clue as to why, but Red Dead is also kicking my fan on in strange places. Seems like a bug or something. CoD BO 4, PubG during parachute, etc...

edit: At least with Red Dead I can understand...this game is drop dead gorgeous on the X!

Last edited:
Not a peep, sit two-three feet from my XBO:X, and it does its job well. And I know it's working because my game room gets hot AF if I don't turn the ceiling fan on and/or open the doors.

BizarroPete

I only got a chance to play about a half hour this morning. I could hear the fan, and it was annoying me a bit as I had the volume pretty low but that's typically what I get with my launch unit when I play more demanding games. The room was about 70F.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I sit about 10 feet away from my TV and it's about 65F in the living room. When out and about in the world it was completely silent. However when going into a store and opening the catalog? The fan kicked on HARD.

Caayn

Monster Hunter World (in performance mode) and RDR2 are the two games that manage to make my Scorpio edition rev up the fans.

The unit is standing vertically on the official stand with plenty of breathing room in all dimensions, room temperature is around 19c degrees.

Last edited:

I brought my Xbox to work and I’m sitting here with my left arm on it. I don’t hear a single bit of noise from it.

Barakov

Gold Member
I pretty close to it when I play so I can definitely hear it. But it's no louder than FH4 or AC:O. Even when playing enhanced games it's still pretty quiet compared to my PS4 which depending on the game, I can hear the disc drive spinning and fan going.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
2ft from mine, i thought i could hear it, so put tv on mute, very quiet turns out it was a stream i was riding by and the wind.

Last edited:
it spins up pretty loud at some points. playing at 4k/hdr if it makes a difference. nowhere near as loud as my ps4pro was during some sections of god of war

looks amazing

Alebrije

Silent....but air conditioning room could be helping. Have the base PS4 on the same place and It sounds like hell running RDR2 so altought air conditioning helps XboneX does a great job handling the game

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned
Completely silent from 5 feet away. I think it’s all about setup. I don’t get much noise from Pro either (except on really challenging scenes). Folks have gotta give these consoles airflow on the sides and rear.

ggr2k5

Neo Member
A bit!
Jees, you must be really lucky. I've stopped using my PS4Pro due to the noise it makes. Its fine on standard PS4 pro games, but stick in any PS4Pro enhanced title, and it nearly takes off. The noise is the worst I've ever heard from any piece of technology. I'm afraid the PS4Pro is a terrible piece of hardware design. I can run my PC with GTX1080 at full pelt and its a fraction of the noise of the Pro.

A bit!
Jees, you must be really lucky. I've stopped using my PS4Pro due to the noise it makes. Its fine on standard PS4 pro games, but stick in any PS4Pro enhanced title, and it nearly takes off. The noise is the worst I've ever heard from any piece of technology. I'm afraid the PS4Pro is a terrible piece of hardware design. I can run my PC with GTX1080 at full pelt and its a fraction of the noise of the Pro.

It’s especially disappointing compared to the cooling performance of the X

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
blowin' and a goin'

Stuart360

I always find these fan sound threads are a bit exaggerated. I have a heavy overclock on my 980ti and i run the fans at 80%, its loud as fuck (much louder than the Pro i'd bet), yet after a few mins, i dont even hear it, your hearing adjust to it.

Bazookaxp

I hear the fan running on my Xbox One X. Was hitting up to around 41 dB. However their is no high pitch sound just a low fan noise.

Night.Ninja

Banned
I'm going to send my in for repair, I just feel its too loud I can hear the fans when I'm gaming and silent when doing anything else

Calibos

I'm going to send my in for repair, I just feel its too loud I can hear the fans when I'm gaming and silent when doing anything else

Starting to get nervous about mine... seems to be constantly running now with Red Dead and 50/50 during Blackout matches. Maybe time for a new one...

Top Bottom