• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption can run at 60 fps on a hacked Switch

mrcroket

So I was curious about how red dead redemption would run on my hacked switch, because you can unlock the framerate and also overclock the console. So yeah... I tested it.

This is on portable mode with the gpu at 690mhz and the cpu at 1428mhz and it runs at stable 60 fps with some framedrops at mid 50 in armadillo. Also the game runs great, without any noticiable bug on videos or gameplay (THB I only play for about 10 minutes). This raises the question... Why is not this game 60 fps on ps4? let alone ps4 pro or ps5...

UPDATE: after a couple of hours of gameplay and a handful of completed missions, the game hasn't given me any bugs and everything works perfectly. Which makes rockstar even more questionable.

Last edited:

Denton

And the fuckers lock it to 30 and forgo the PC and next gen versions to boot. Take2, go fuck yourself.

Unless you are working on proper remake.

In which case, go fuck yourself even harder for not announcing it and instead fleecing people out of 50 bucks for 13 year old game.

Last edited:

Kilau

dave-chappelle-customer.gif

skit_data

Does anything else get affected? Some have speculated other parts of the games systems are tied to the framerate and start behaving wierd or breaking

mrcroket

I have complete a few missions and the game works great, the shooting part is waay more enjoyable at 60fps because it feels more responsive.

It's a shame that it can't be enjoyed like this on modern consoles at 4k. Maybe if they get enough noise they deign to make a F patch to have 60 fps.... heck they could even make it 120...

Deerock71

They're just waiting to jack up the price when it'll be 1080p/60 handheld and DLSS 4K/60 docked on the Switch 2. R*'s maneuvering to not be left behind on Nintendo's next console.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

Oh, so they can rerelease a 60fps port for Switch 2 in like a year, makes perfect sense. Sell the same port twice.

Last edited:

PeteBull

And the fuckers lock it to 30 and forgo the PC and next gen versions to boot. Take2, go fuck yourself.

In which case, go fuck yourself even harder for not announcing it and instead fleecing people out of 50 bucks for 13 year old game.
Ofc they working on proper remake, its classic ff7 situation, remember we got ff7(non remake) annoucment/trailer and not long after proper remake too ;)

IC3M@N FX

Neo Member
I don't know why Rockstar has not added 60 fps mode for PS4/Pro & PS5.
50 bucks for a Game without see able improvements that's ridiculous and arrogant.
Whoever buys this for 50 Bucks supports companies that don't give a shit about customers and are only out to maximize profits with as little effort as possible.

Robb

Gold Member
Not surprised it runs flawlessly at 60fps. It’s a PS3/360 game that has barely been upgraded.

Should’ve been 60fps on Switch and it should’ve been 60fps baseline on Ps4/Ps4 Pro with the option to go even higher.

VulcanRaven

I don't know why Rockstar has not added 60 fps mode for PS4/Pro & PS5.
50 bucks for a Game without see able improvements that's ridiculous and arrogant.
Whoever buys this for 50 Bucks supports companies that don't give a shit about customers and are only out to maximize profits with as little effort as possible.
Rockstar doesn't want it to run better than the backwards compatible Xbox version.

Three

This is amazing and also sad that they cannot do a tiny little bit of work to give millions a SIGNIFICANTLY better experience!
As much as I consider it lazy that they didn't aim for a 60fps mode These aren't standard clocks. They couldn't have offered these framerates with standard, especially undocked, clocks on a standard non-hacked switch.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
As much as I consider it lazy that they didn't aim for a 60fps mode These aren't standard clocks. They couldn't have offered these framerates with standard, especially undocked, clocks on a standard non-hacked switch.
Ok, fair enough, forget about the Switch. The PS4 launch could have easily utilized the more powerful GPU/CPU to unlock the framerate, but no, they'll nickel and dime it down the line :cool:

Can you not buy this on steam then to work on a steam deck? I think I will bite when Steam Deck Gen 2 or more than likely a Switch 2 when it is announced to get myself back in the handheld game.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Why not? What's the benefit of not having the new $50 release run better than the cheaper backwards compatible version?
Giving the same experience to everyone is the easiest route. They didn't think Xbox players would buy this for 50 dollars and they don't want to update the old one.

Last edited:

mrcroket

ANY game can run 60FPS on OC'ed Switch with higher resolution. No exceptions.
But that is not the point but the performance on ps4 and the more powerful consoles. Even with overclock the ps4 is much more powerful than the switch, so there is no reason to have a 30 fps cap, especially when it doesn't require any extra effort for the developers, moreover costing $50.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
But that is not the point but the performance on ps4 and the more powerful consoles. Even with overclock the ps4 is much more powerful than the switch, so there is no reason to have a 30 fps cap, especially when it doesn't require any extra effort for the developers, moreover costing 50$.
Ah, I see. Probably game is not meant to be 60fps or animations looks weirder in 60. Or just lazy, greedy port :messenger_grinning_smiling:

phant0m

Buy a Switch copy or X360 disc and play your backup on your emulator of choice!

Folks must been ignorant to think 60fps as a standard is something new

The PS2 from 2000 ran games at 60fps as standard like Metal Gear Solid 2, Devil Man Cry 3, Burnout.

While GTAs, Metal Gear Solid 3, Red Factions ran poorly but those were exceptions

Top Bottom