• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How It Could Change the World if Nintendo Had the Most Powerful Console

Celcius

°Temp. member
No really, hear me out: The truth is that none of us know what these companies are going to do for future hardware. People have been rumoring a Switch Pro or PS5 Pro for years and none of that has happened or seems likely for the rest of this year. Nintendo's current system is a hybrid console/handheld but they certainly don't have to do this again. We all know they like to do something different each generation.

Microsoft has already said that they're not doing a "Pro" console this generation and there's a high chance that Sony follows the same path. Let's imagine that last generation is an exception and this gen base consoles are all we get.

Nintendo could absolutely make their next system console only (no handheld mode), while still maintaining backwards compatibility with the Switch - those games would just run in permanent "docked mode". If they keep nvidia as a partner again (very likely) then they would have access to superior ray tracing than either MS or Sony has access to combined with other technologies such as DLSS, and maybe even enhancements for Switch games running in backwards compatibility mode like higher resolutions or faster loading. Plus, assuming it comes out next year then they would be releasing 4 years after PS5 and Xbox which means that newer / more powerful hardware would be possible for the same price points and it could go unmatched for years until the PS6 or next Xbox in probably 2027.

Now if that were to happen and Nintendo shocks the world with a $450-$500 box that is also the world's most powerful console, how could this change the gaming world? For years having "the world's most powerful console" has been a major part of Xbox's identity and one of their main selling points over PS5. For Sony, they know that people are going to buy Nintendo games anyway but console gamers buy most multiplatform games on PlayStation because they have powerful hardware combined with their great software library.

If Nintendo had the most powerful console then many people would begin buying much more multiplatform stuff for their console to go along with their excellent first party software. They could even take a loss on the hardware because they know how many copies Pokemon sells, Zelda sells, etc... and plus their first party games stay at full price rather than going on sale. They could even get games that wouldn't normally get a Nintendo port, like Grand Theft Auto 6 or Call of Duty 2023. They could really take a bigger chunk of the market away from Sony or MS if they were to go this route.

"But Celcius, they're just going to make a Switch 2 and print money."

How much more powerful would a Switch 2 even be compared to something like the Steam Deck? Is that going to provide a much different gameplay experience to most people? Probably not. Plus that would be boring from a design perspective... it would be much more interesting for Nintendo to shock the world by going the high-power route again. They could even give it a cool name like Gamecube 2 and sell people on nostalgia. Maybe even give it a flip top lid like older disc consoles instead of just another black/white sleek media box.

"But Celcius, people would miss handheld gaming."

I recently created THIS thread here on NeoGaf to see how most people use their Switch and as of now only 31% of Switch users use their Switch exclusively in handheld mode. Most gamers (Nintendo buyers or otherwise) just aren't playing handheld most of the time these days and if their next console doesn't have portable functionality then they would certainly adapt, just like when Sony killed off the Vita. I've never docked my Switch (I'm in the 31%) but if the next Nintendo system gets rid of handheld functionality then it wouldn't be a big deal to me for example. I think most people on the go just do stuff on their phones these days.

What do you guys think... if they were to go this route then do you think they could actually take most of the market from Sony and MS? are there any other implications from this that you can imagine? does anyone want this, or do you all really just want them to slap more power into the Switch and call it a day?

800px-Nintendo_GameCube_console.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think Nintendo releasing a follow-up to the Switch that didn't have handheld functionality would be a massive mistake.

Even if only 31% of the people on a gaming enthusiasts forum play exclusively in handheld mode, having the option to do so is one of the system's selling points and, I think, a big reason for its success.

If they want "the most powerful game console" title, it's going to need to be done with a dedicated GPU in the docking station - so that when the system is docked it can take advantage of that to become more powerful than the PS5 or Series X. In handheld mode, it could be scaled way back to provide better battery life at the expense of lowered resolution.

idk if anyone has crunched the numbers, but does the switch make up the difference of nintendos 2 previous rev streams (handheld and home console) becoming just one stream?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Is this a trend? A lot people have been writting huge Topics all of a sudden. I will read it, just give me a minute.

EDIT: Ok... So here is my opinion. I really don't think Nintendo will go that way, for a couple of reasons. One is, they will not engage in a loss leading strategy. So they would have to relay the entire hardware cost on the MSRP(the price). That would result in a very expensive product.

Second, we would get less games. If they jump a few gens there will be a bigger learning curve for Nintendo's internal teams.

Also, we are deeper and deeper sinking into diminishing returns. Just think about it. The Wii was only one gen behind the norm, and people were losing their minds. The Switch is two gens behind now, and most people are still ok with it. That is entirely due to diminishing returns.

So in short, they don't have to do what you're suggesting. They might, anything is possible, but probably not.

Would it change the scenario? Sure. But not necessarily for the better..

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Robb

Gold Member
idk if anyone has crunched the numbers, but does the switch make up the difference of nintendos 2 previous rev streams (handheld and home console) becoming just one stream?
I think so, iirc they broke the record of most profitable year for a system ever back in 2021, beating out the previous record which was Wii+NDS.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
What do you guys think... if they were to go this route then do you think they could actually take most of the market from Sony and MS?
No. Nintendo isn't interested in paying money for 3rd party exclusives. They aren't interested in promoting the "super serious mature gamer adults only" image, and that image has an audience. And the more expensive their console is, the less people will buy it as a secondary device. And the less casual gamers will buy it. And the less they will be bought for kids that may destroy it.

Gamecube, N64 and Wii U are attempts at keeping somewhat close to what's out. Wii and Switch are the opposite.

Woopah

No. Nintendo isn't interested in paying money for 3rd party exclusives. They aren't interested in promoting the "super serious mature gamer adults only" image, and that image has an audience. And the more expensive their console is, the less people will buy it as a secondary device. And the less casual gamers will buy it. And the less they will be bought for kids that may destroy it.

Gamecube, N64 and Wii U are attempts at keeping somewhat close to what's out. Wii and Switch are the opposite.
Nintendo does deals for timed or full third parties all the time. They are definitely interested in that.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nintendo does deals for timed or full third parties all the time. They are definitely interested in that.
They can get a few if it's a series that's incredibly important in Japan, like Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter. Not a ton more than that. And they only have that relevance in Japan because it's handheld. And they're not even exclusive for long. I can't really think of anything on Switch that's a big 3rd party exclusive.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't get the obsession with console power. You have no control over how it gets used except maybe to pick between pre-determined performance levels. With a PC you usually get to pick where you put the extra power to use in games but with consoles you get what you get. What difference would it make if Nintendo made the most powerful one yet? Maybe they would finally do anti-aliasing I guess.

Fredrik

It’s a nice thought, in theory.

But in reality I think they would end up like everyone else, too long game development time and focusing too much on the visuals and not work enough on the underlying systems that make games like TOTK so great.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Let us picture Nintendo releasing a console that’s on par with the latest PlayStation, and releases very close to it.
This console (let’s call it GC2 for shits and giggles) has no disadvantages against PSW(hatever). GC2 gets every single third party game that’s also released on PSW. Digital Foundry must enhance screens at 2000x to find pixel-level differences in the same game between the two consoles, if any. Total parity. GAF has no more use for DJ Khaled gifs.

Now what happens?

It happens that the only thing differentiating the two consoles is exclusives. And people who like PSW exclusives probably don’t like, nor need, Nintendo exclusives. The opposite happens on GC2’s side.
So now one of the two (most likely Sony) or both start moneyhatting third parties, because they need more exclusives. They also moneyhat temporal exclusivity, because many third parties also release on PC and if PC gets big titles day and date the consoles suffer, so the PC crowd is understandably pissed.
It’s really not this splendid scenario, if you ask me.
Plus Pokémon really, really benefits from being portable and Pokémon being pretty much what kept Nintendo afloat in their darkest times these last 25 years means you aren’t getting a home-only console from Nintendo.

Matsuchezz

Not even worth discussing something that will never happen, Nintendo said goodbye to state of the art visuals generations ago.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Nintendo could absolutely make their next system console only (no handheld mode), while still maintaining backwards compatibility with the Switch
ryan reynolds hd GIF

I mean if the idea is to put out an expensive high-powered device, they might as well go all in with Switch and make the second one use an eGPU dock and solve your power concerns without killing their best feature. That also has the added bonus they could sell 'Pro' Upgrades to people later without having them buy a whole new console.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Things wouldn't change much, the problem third parties have always had with Nintendo is not console performance but Nintendo audience. Barely anyone with a Switch is running to buy RDR3 day one on the platform, most of their audience is into other stuff like JRPG, gameplay focused stuff, stylish graphics, etc.

Normal western AAA games could sell decently on Switch but never to the point of surpassing the competition, the same would be otherwise, remember Sonic games selling more on Wii U than on competitors platforms?

Fbh

Nintendo has found a formula that has worked really well for them, they've managed to create their own separate approach with a system that doesn't really have any direct competitor and that doesn't put them in direct competition with Sony/MS, and they've had incredible success with it.
I don't know why some people insist they need abandon all that and go compete in the teraflop race with MS/SONY with a $500 home console.

Also I think you are mistaking the average GAF user with the average Switch user.
The official data we have is dated but it showed that docked and handheld use are pretty even and, in fact, there's more people that primarily played in handheld mode than those who primarily play in docked mode

No.
Look at the Wii numbers and the ds numbers. Wiiu and 3ds did not do that well

Consoles sales isn't the only metric that matters.
Software attach rate on Wii was pretty poor because it turns the new hyper casual audience they got was fine just owning Wii Sports and Mario Kart.
In 2011 there were almost 90 million Wiis sold and yet Skyward Sword "only" had lifetime sales of like 3.5 million units. Meanwhile Tears of Kingdom sold 10 million in 3 days.

Nintendo has not benefited from having the most powerful console. The Gamecube was more powerful and cheaper than the PS2 and had amazing games that are still extremely valuable. I have gamecube games worth more than my entire PS2 collection. It would be the same now. I would love a really powerful Nintendo system but I know deep down it would fail. Every one of their handheld systems were weaker than their competitors and yet dominated. Why would they change their strategy.

scydrex

Nothing. Because Nintendo wants to maximize the profits. Making games with higher budget because of more powerful hardware is not a their way anymore. Make games with lower budget and selling them for $60 or $70 is their way of doing things now or strategy. Their last attempt was the GC. Don't expect them doing that anymore.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nintendo chases gameplay, not graphics. They'll never bother again with the most powerful console.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Generally speaking, other than the WiiU, the weakest or second weakest console of a gen ends up "winning" it, at least since 5th gen.
PS1 beat N64
PS2 beat GC and Xbox
Wii beat PS3 and 360
Switch beat PS4 and XB1.

Nintendo realized this after the gamecube.

Chastten

Banned
There is so much wrong with the OP that I don't even know where to start. Gonna adress a few obvious ones though.

How much more powerful would a Switch 2 even be compared to something like the Steam Deck? Is that going to provide a much different gameplay experience to most people? Probably not.

PS5 and XSX are basically an overclocked PS4/XBO that provide quicker loading times. There is no different gameplay experience here. We have been playing the same games for 3 generations. Expecting something different from a new Nintendo console is dillusional.

They could even give it a cool name like Gamecube 2 and sell people on nostalgia.

Because the GameCube set the world on fire, for sure. You'll probably sell a whole 3 consoles more by going that route.

If Nintendo had the most powerful console then many people would begin buying much more multiplatform stuff for their console to go along with their excellent first party software.

Yeah, this is not going to happen. The only reason people jumped ship from Xbox to PS is because Microsoft fucked up royally. People are not going to leave the PS ecosystem for slightly better graphics. I mean, if they wanted better graphics, they would've jumped to
PC long ago. When you have 15 years of achievements, purchases, and history in an ecosystem you're not gonna leave for slightly better graphics. The only way that's gonna happen is if Sony fucks up royally (worse than they did with PS3/Vita) and I don't see that happening.

What do you guys think... if they were to go this route then do you think they could actually take most of the market from Sony and MS?

Big nope. At best they would maybe gain 5% from people who jump ship from Sony and Microsoft, but they lose the 30% that want a handheld. Resulting in a huge net loss.

A couple things:

One is that Nintendo wouldn’t even know how to make the most powerful console in the world, because they haven’t prioritized using state of the art technology in a Console since the GameCube.

Two: Is that because of One, no doubt there isn’t really anyone working in Nintendo that would have the know-how about how to go about creating a state of the art bleeding edge console, given that the engineering approach for every system starting with the Wii is using older technology that’s come down in price, in a unique way, that creates differentiation in the market for their product.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I like the world we live in with Nintendo as is. Chasing power would be for the worse.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

It’s a nice thought, in theory.

But in reality I think they would end up like everyone else, too long game development time and focusing too much on the visuals and not work enough on the underlying systems that make games like TOTK so great.

People need to stop using "it increases development time" as an excuse. It's not like it didn't take 6 years between breath of the wild and tears of the kingdom. And there's still no sequel to mario odyssey.

Also let's not pretend like good "underlying systems" (i.e. gameplay) and good graphics are mutually exclusive.

They could even give it a cool name like Gamecube 2 and sell people on nostalgia.

Let's remember the commercial powerhouse that GameCube was compared to its competition.

GameCube - 22 million
Xbox - 24 million
PlayStation 2 - 155 million

If you think Nintendo should name their next console the GameCube 2, i highly suggest you avoid a career in marketing.

I love how your argument is basically what Nintendo tried with the GameCube, and other than Wii U it was their worst-selling console ever.

And you even mention the GameCube directly as if it is some game console gold standard. Dude, a lot of us lived through the GameCube era. It was awful, as a Nintendo fan. 6-12 months between big games, horrible software droughts, and lots of third-party ports getting canceled after being initially promised. *GameCube was not a popular system when it was in the market.*

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You don't have to convince me, I basically said they should do this a couple months ago on this very board......

Only of course they also simultaneously release the switch 2. The more powerful home console would play switch 1 games enhanced, and switch 2 games naitively enhanced.

Last edited:

RCU005

I think Nintendo releasing a follow-up to the Switch that didn't have handheld functionality would be a massive mistake.

100% a mistake. However, I wonder if the next switch could have improved specs for TV mode. This could allow 3rd party games to release and they could make game modes specifically for portable or TV mode. I imagine the price would have to be higher (since there should be tech in the dock itself, but still at $400/$500 for the next switch with “Pro specs” while docked could be great.

For me personally, I would have loved a TV-only switch version.

Celcius

°Temp. member

I love how your argument is basically what Nintendo tried with the GameCube, and other than Wii U it was their worst-selling console ever.

And you even mention the GameCube directly as if it is some game console gold standard. Dude, a lot of us lived through the GameCube era. It was awful, as a Nintendo fan. 6-12 months between big games, horrible software droughts, and lots of third-party ports getting canceled after being initially promised. *GameCube was not a popular system when it was in the market.*
Huh? The Gamecube was very well liked back in the day (I had one). I was trying to say that many people look back fondly on the system and you know the internet would be on fire if Nintendo ended their next direct by saying "Gamecube 2 coming fall 2024". Though it could be any nostalgic Nintendo name that they have... I just picked the gamecube because it was their last powerful system.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Let's not pretend like the switch is any different. It's been 6 years since it came out, and outside ports/remasters there hasn't been a whole heck of a lot.

Top Bottom