• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How It Could Change the World if Nintendo Had the Most Powerful Console

Woopah

Puh-lease.

Nintendo's output on the Switch, especially given how well it's sold, has been abysmal.

The person I quoted was whining about the Gamecube supposedly taking 6-12 months between major releases, and if anything sounds like they were confusing the Switch with the Gamecube. Gamecube's output was great.

The irony is you're the "revisionist" who is trying to paint the Gamecube as something less than what it is.

There's a reason why so many of Gamecube's games were ported/remastered (RE0, RE-Remake, RE4, LoZ Twilight Princess, LoZ Windwaker, etc.). In case you want to act obtuse, because they're great games.
When was the last time Switch had a 6-12 month gap? As I noted above Nintendo publishes a game almost every month.

Beechos

Nintendo is the last of the big three that this would happen to. No one has games on the level of Mario Kart, Zelda, or Smash bros.
Forget smoking, you’ve been sniffing some good shit if you think Sega’s comparable.
Not at all, ms can eat 100 system failures if they wanted to with their money. Sony is the market leader and has various divisions that they can sell/help subsidize a bomb. What does nintendo have to support a bomb system? They can def go the way of sega and just release software on every platform. It can even be argued that would even make them more money. If the wii was a failure nintendo would be out of the hardware business by now.

Last edited:

Skeptical

Neo Member
When was the last time Switch had a 6-12 month gap? As I noted above Nintendo publishes a game almost every month.
Not to be the "in fairness" guy, but in fairness... If you look solely at Nintendo EPD and not their internal and external partners, delete all their ports/remasters/remakes, and knock out their quirky casual game team (which has been productive) for good measure, Nintendo EPD's output is not impressive outside of 2017 and 2023:
2018 - Sushi Striker
2019 - Mario Maker 2
2020 - Animal Crossing
2021 - I'll be generous and give them Bowser's Fury
2022 - Splatoon 3

Again, that is looking ONLY at EPD. Fortunately, their other internal and external teams (outside of Retro) have maintained a steady output, so overall Nintendo published games look good year-on-year as you stated. But yes, Nintendo developed games are a different story, and hopefully fixing this is part of their investment strategy.

As for the original topic, not to harp on the terrible business decision that would be too much, but...
PS2 (156 Million) + XBox (24 million) = 180 million consoles
PS3 (87 million) + XBox360 (84 million) = 171 million consoles
PS4 (117 million) +XBox One (58 million) = 175 million consoles

Hate to break it to you, but the high end console market is stagnant, and there is no indication the current gen is going to break out of this ~180 million upper limit. And you really think Nintendo should abandon the sub-market where they are a monopoly to try to break into the stagnant sub-market in which their competitors have either a 4-year or 20-year head start (depending on your point of view)? Does that make any sense at all?

I don't think mini-DVDs of 1.5GBs was really an issue, as the Xbox 360 used DVDs of 6.8GBs. Well it must been depend on the kind of game that doesn't work with disc swapping.

There are games on Gamecube with 2 discs: https://gamicus.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_multi-disc_GameCube_games

There are games on Xbox 360 with 4 discs like Lost Odyssey, LA Noire(Complete Edition). However very few ones.
There are games on PS4 and soon to be PS5, Series X on multiple discs as well.

Not to be the "in fairness" guy, but in fairness... If you look solely at Nintendo EPD and not their internal and external partners, delete all their ports/remasters/remakes, and knock out their quirky casual game team (which has been productive) for good measure, Nintendo EPD's output is not impressive outside of 2017 and 2023:
2018 - Sushi Striker
2019 - Mario Maker 2
2020 - Animal Crossing
2022 - Splatoon 3
"If you ignore basically everything, Nintendo has basically nothing."

Last edited:

Deerock71

That was due to the mini dvd. It was the secodn most powerful during that gen
Mini dvd and one shoulder button instead of two were the majorest 'Nintendo being Nintendo' moments on the GameCube. Way to piss third parties off for having to come up with alternate solutions to a MISSING FUCKING BUTTON, Nintendo!

Deerock71

Like the same game.....but with better graphics? That's not the same game then, is it.
You keep saying, but then you just say it's prettier. What revelation have you discovered you can do in 4K at 480fps that couldn't be duplicated on the Switch? I think there's a fundamental disconnect here.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not at all, ms can eat 100 system failures if they wanted to with their money. Sony is the market leader and has various divisions that they can sell/help subsidize a bomb. What does nintendo have to support a bomb system? They can def go the way of sega and just release software on every platform. It can even be argued that would even make them more money. If the wii was a failure nintendo would be out of the hardware business by now.

Nintendo is the market leader, not Sony. Their games are evergreen sellers doing numbers Sony and Microsoft can only dream of. They’ve got a theme park in the works, and just came off a hit Mario movie. Their franchises are household names.

Sure Microsoft can eat one hundred failed consoles, but you really think they would? If anything the Xbox division would be cut off.
Sony does a lot better, but they’ve never had to survive on first party games before. Nintendo’s the only company that can.

They are far from being a Sega.

vanillaFace

Neo Member
Huh? The Gamecube was very well liked back in the day (I had one). I was trying to say that many people look back fondly on the system and you know the internet would be on fire if Nintendo ended their next direct by saying "Gamecube 2 coming fall 2024". Though it could be any nostalgic Nintendo name that they have... I just picked the gamecube because it was their last powerful system.
liked by the niche. It was the odd one out. I had one, I remember when they had them in stores. Luigi's Mansion was one of the launch titles and it was just underwhelming in terms of first impressions. People wanted to see what the system could do, and there you had Luigi with a vacuum cleaner at a semi fixed camera angle third person ala Resident Evil 1. It was just very strange and... underwhelming. You couldn't even pick up and play the game at the retailers it was being demo'd at because nothing really happens in it for a while. Total flop.

DDTT-878

Neo Member
liked by the niche. It was the odd one out. I had one, I remember when they had them in stores. Luigi's Mansion was one of the launch titles and it was just underwhelming in terms of first impressions. People wanted to see what the system could do, and there you had Luigi with a vacuum cleaner at a semi fixed camera angle third person ala Resident Evil 1. It was just very strange and... underwhelming. You couldn't even pick up and play the game at the retailers it was being demo'd at because nothing really happens in it for a while. Total flop.
Launch titles can't be used as an example of the power of a console.

Games like Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario Sunshine shows the power of the Gamecube.

nintendo doing a balls-to-the-wall-hardware console is a dream of mine.
but it'd only work if they rekindled 3rd party support in a big way.

probably wont happen... so much easier for nintendo to keep doing their own thing.

Rat Rage

How is it a "massive" disadvantage?

You hit the "realism and expectations are too high" and the "diminishing returns, high budgets are not viable anymore" barrier first, after you've cultivated a fanbase that is still asking for bigger and better graphics and cinematic experiences you can't provide anymore.
Nintendo on the other hand, never went for the "cinematic" route and opted out of the hardware arms race early enough, all while successfully cultivating a fanbase that doesn't give a shit about realism and hardware power.

I'm so tired of people thinking "more power" would suddenly make the people who don't like Nintendo, like Nintendo. Only people who aren't, and never have been, Nintendo fans want them to be like the companies they do like. It's fine to dream a dreamer's dream though.

You hit the "realism and expectations are too high" and the "diminishing returns, high budgets are not viable anymore" barrier first, after you've cultivated a fanbase that is still asking for bigger and better graphics and cinematic experiences you can't provide anymore.
Nintendo on the other hand, never went for the "cinematic" route and opted out of the hardware arms race early enough, all while successfully cultivating a fanbase that doesn't give a shit about realism and hardware power.

You're talking about conditioning fans. That doesn't put anyone at a massive disadvantage. I can see getting annoyed by it but not put at a disadvantage. One can argue the reverse about low power consoles..

If nintendo has the most powerful console they will be like Sony.
Game will take longer to release. Chasing graphic, more budget pour in,..
There's no way they can release a lots of game like they usually do. Because fan will ask for better graphic non stop.

Nintendo is the market leader, not Sony. Their games are evergreen sellers doing numbers Sony and Microsoft can only dream of. They’ve got a theme park in the works, and just came off a hit Mario movie. Their franchises are household names.

Sure Microsoft can eat one hundred failed consoles, but you really think they would? If anything the Xbox division would be cut off.
Sony does a lot better, but they’ve never had to survive on first party games before. Nintendo’s the only company that can.

They are far from being a Sega.
Also, Nintendo is, for reasons like this, the one major player that does not follow the razorblade model. And they're called greedy for one of the things keeping them in the black. Damned if you do...

A 3rd party Nintendo would make LESS money. They'd have to do more work optimizing games for other platforms, deal with approval standards for other platforms, and pay royalty publishing fees.

Woopah

2018 - Sushi Striker
2019 - Mario Maker 2
2020 - Animal Crossing
2022 - Splatoon 3

Again, that is looking ONLY at EPD. Fortunately, their other internal and external teams (outside of Retro) have maintained a steady output, so overall Nintendo published games look good year-on-year as you stated. But yes, Nintendo developed games are a different story, and hopefully fixing this is part of their investment strategy.

As for the original topic, not to harp on the terrible business decision that would be too much, but...
PS2 (156 Million) + XBox (24 million) = 180 million consoles
PS3 (87 million) + XBox360 (84 million) = 171 million consoles
PS4 (117 million) +XBox One (58 million) = 175 million consoles

Hate to break it to you, but the high end console market is stagnant, and there is no indication the current gen is going to break out of this ~180 million upper limit. And you really think Nintendo should abandon the sub-market where they are a monopoly to try to break into the stagnant sub-market in which their competitors have either a 4-year or 20-year head start (depending on your point of view)? Does that make any sense at all?
Nintendo is investing a lot into internal development, but yes if you arbitrarily restrict Nintendo's output to half of EPD's teams, you are going to find gaps.

But it would be like claiming that PlayStation has droughts based on the games put out by studios that have "Sony" in the name.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Nintendo is after another market. I'm surprised that almost 20 years after the release of the Wii there is still people that don't realize that Nintendo is not interested in competing with Sony, Microsoft and whoever else decides to enter the market.

They don't need to and they are making bank with their current strategy? Why change? Why Fanboys want Nintendo to go that route? Just to see another Mario Kart in 4K? If they did the most likely scenario would be a close repeat to the GC days.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
No. I like having one of the major companies reject the dominant trends and focus on other aspects in their flagship titles. If anything, I want them to run the exact opposite direction from products Xbox/PSX would ever dream of making.

And I like Nintendo staying "light" with their development. With no dedicated handheld, we've already lost some of the delightful small-scale franchises like Wario Land--because people expect more on a Switch--but the situation will be much worse if every title is expected to carry industry-leading high end assets.

Games that take massive teams to build and that have entire departments of people just making the assets for the world... kind of suck as a rule. The cost of high-end games seems to be one of the things that has ruined the medium and gradually made it as corporate / committee-driven as Disney movies. No thanks.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You keep saying, but then you just say it's prettier. What revelation have you discovered you can do in 4K at 480fps that couldn't be duplicated on the Switch? I think there's a fundamental disconnect here.

The only disconnect here is the idea that better graphics have no value, and it seems to be on your end. I don't care what your excuses are for the hardware, it's old and we can do better in 2023.

No. I like having one of the major companies reject the dominant trends and focus on other aspects in their flagship titles. If anything, I want them to run the exact opposite direction from products Xbox/PSX would ever dream of making.

And I like Nintendo staying "light" with their development. With no dedicated handheld, we've already lost some of the delightful small-scale franchises like Wario Land--because people expect more on a Switch--but the situation will be much worse if every title is expected to carry industry-leading high end assets.

Games that take massive teams to build and that have entire departments of people just making the assets for the world... kind of suck as a rule. The cost of high-end games seems to be one of the things that has ruined the medium and gradually made it as corporate / committee-driven as Disney movies. No thanks.
Well said. I have both Series X and PS5, but I rarely use them or buy games for them. I prefer Nintendo because they are different from the competition. No trophies, no achievements? Yes please.

THE DUCK

Well said. I have both Series X and PS5, but I rarely use them or buy games for them. I prefer Nintendo because they are different from the competition. No trophies, no achievements? Yes please.

Great, but how does the amazing teams at Nintendo having more powerfull hardware hamper thier ability to deliver different great games that have no acheivements or trophies? (that just happen to look even better than they would have otherwise)

There seems to be a very strong trend in the thread of people who think that different or Nintendo great are somehow divorced by from great graphics. You do realize that many of those Nintendo games you know and love where cutting edge at the time and also still had great gameplay, right?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Great, but how does the amazing teams at Nintendo having more powerfull hardware hamper thier ability to deliver different great games that have no acheivements or trophies? (that just happen to look even better than they would have otherwise)

I think that was clearly a matter of saying, "I'm glad that Nintendo doesn't follow the big industry trends as a matter of habit, including all the obnoxious things like achievements which ruin the other consoles." There wasn't any assertion that achievements and power are intertwined.

There seems to be a very strong trend in the thread of people who think that different or Nintendo great are somehow divorced by from great graphics. You do realize that many of those Nintendo games you know and love where cutting edge at the time and also still had great gameplay, right?

But there's a real problem of scale these days. Mario 64 was cutting-edge, but it was made by an absolutely tiny group of close-knit developers and designers: https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Super_Mario_64_staff

Even Mario Galaxy had a whole staff size that is equivalent to just half of one sub-department of the giant corporate development groups that make games like Ass Creed etc.

Games that are made to fit very high production levels require much larger teams. They become giant corporate products with a million middle managers. And they have started to suck as a consequence. Yes, there are gems, but I'd call the general quality trend of big-developer games to be hands down the worst of any generation I've lived through, and I started gaming on the OG NES.

Nintendo does best when it has the flexibility to make weird games that don't require massive budgets, or the ability to make games with modest teams that are close-knit and share a common vision, rather than sharing an HR department and a set of corporate watchmen. I'm sure they can adapt to bigger scale to a certain extent, but many of us see only blandness in that direction. Look at Disney... to me, it's the most soulless set of products you can find on this planet, when it once was something special before it became a giant IP-factory.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I think that was clearly a matter of saying, "I'm glad that Nintendo doesn't follow the big industry trends as a matter of habit, including all the obnoxious things like achievements which ruin the other consoles." There wasn't any assertion that achievements and power are intertwined.

But there's a real problem of scale these days. Mario 64 was cutting-edge, but it was made by an absolutely tiny group of close-knit developers and designers: https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Super_Mario_64_staff

Even Mario Galaxy had a whole staff size that is equivalent to just half of one sub-department of the giant corporate development groups that make games like Ass Creed etc.

Games that are made to fit very high production levels require much larger teams. They become giant corporate products with a million middle managers. And they have started to suck as a consequence. Yes, there are gems, but I'd call the general quality trend of big-developer games to be hands down the worst of any generation I've lived through, and I started gaming on the OG NES.

Nintendo does best when it has the flexibility to make weird games that don't require massive budgets, or the ability to make games with modest teams that are close-knit and share a common vision, rather than sharing an HR department and a set of corporate watchmen. I'm sure they can adapt to bigger scale to a certain extent, but many of us see only blandness in that direction. Look at Disney... to me, it's the most soulless set of products you can find on this planet, when it once was something special before it became a giant IP-factory.

I get what you are saying about team size and end product, creativity, etc.

But look no further than Kena on the ps5 to confirm that having more power can result in a superior experience. No it's not as good as Nintendo games, but you can see how the package of gameplay, magic, sense of wonder etc all came together to create something better. I want this for Nintendo too. They can keep the small teams.

Don't really care, but if I did I'd be a PC gamer.

Deerock71

The only disconnect here is the idea that better graphics have no value, and it seems to be on your end. I don't care what your excuses are for the hardware, it's old and we can do better in 2023.
Go right ahead and enjoy your emulated, 8K 960fps version of the EXACT same game that can be played on the Switch, just don't expect me to give a flying fuck about your version, since it's clearly not demonstrably a better version of the Switch's with the exception of graphics.
leslie chow hangover GIF

THE DUCK

Go right ahead and enjoy your emulated, 8K 960fps version of the EXACT same game that can be played on the Switch, just don't expect me to give a flying fuck about your version, since it's clearly not demonstrably a better version of the Switch's with the exception of graphics.
leslie chow hangover GIF

Maybe get some glasses then or 4k tv then if you think it's the exact same.

Your rediculous argument is that its exactly the same game when it's clearly not. We don't play games in a bubble, we take on the whole experience, which includes graphics.

Why don't you go play it on 3" 240 line crt then, I mean it would be the exact same experience, right? Or in black and white? Yep same game. How about scaled back on the 3ds running 240p? Same game, right?

Where your argument falls flat 100% is that they both offer a different experience. You can say bla bla bla same game till you look crazy, but this is a fact. Posting stupid animated gifs won't change this.

EDMIX

We’ve been down this road. It depends on if they got the big third party games, but if they did Sony would be in a lot of trouble.

doubt

The majority demographic who buys their systems do not wish to have a home console.

Wii U literally was the fucking most powerful home console AT ITS RELEASE. More powerful then PS3 and 360 annnnnnnd still flopped.

Power to many Nintendo fans is completely irrelevant, what is relevant to them is portability. So no, Sony and MS won't really have much trouble if anything, the base majority that buys that content, buys a PS or a XB, so I don't see millions and millions of COD or Assassins Creed fans buying a Nintendo console, with a different control scheme, with non-existent networking, oh yea and shit get alllll their friend to join so they can play like they normally do.

Very, very, very unlikely.

Those days are long behind this company and that demographic has moved on and established itself on other platforms. It would literally take generations to undo all of that as many consumers may never change their setup merely cause Nintendo has a console, that doesn't mean they won't buy PS7 or XBZX etc At this point, we are beyond merely building a home console, do they even fucking have consumers that want that for it even survive to be a threat to anyone? lol

Soodanim

Gold Member
leslie chow hangover GIF
"With the exception of all the improvements, it's the exact same game"
Ken Jeong Love GIF by V8

It's a visual medium. If what you're looking at is improved visually, it's often a better experience. A cleaner image alone can do wonders, especially if a game isn't hitting native res of a display and things start looking blurry. But on the framerate side of things games also become more responsive. People don't just dislike 30fps for no reason, it's a noticeable difference. That's the entire reason two consoles adopted and kept performance modes: people prefer them.

Let's not pretend like the switch is any different. It's been 6 years since it came out, and outside ports/remasters there hasn't been a whole heck of a lot.
The PS5 and Series is the same story

As the beginning from the previous gen, there have been too many remasters/ports, i heard folks calling PS4 the Remasterstation 4

The Switch getting ports from Wii U wasn't a bad thing considering how it flopped in sales

Its Nintendo. They would build a powerhouse console and then shoot themselves in the foot by putting its games on cartridge format.
Cartridges had advantages over CDs

Nintendo couldn't had made Super Mario 64 they wanted with slow speed of CDs drives from 90s, as the game was a launch title for N64

Disco Dave

Cartridges had advantages over CDs

Nintendo couldn't had made Super Mario 64 they wanted with slow speed of CDs drives from 90s, as the game was a launch title for N64
Most games run from the SSD now so speed is not really an issue. Cartridges are also way more expensive than Blu-ray.

And that was my joke. Nintendo would make a powerful console and limit it to expensive cartridges with limited storage.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The GameCube sold 22 million lifetime sales. It was outsold by the original Xbox. Its direct competitor, PS2, out sold it more than 7 to 1.
What did the PS2 and Xbox have in common that the Gamecube did not have at all?

- A controller with the full layout of buttons required to play most games
- online play & many games that supported it
- DVD support

And wouldn't you know it, the Gamecube had none of those. Third parties would have to go above and beyond to make games work on the Gamecube due to the lack of buttons and storage space.

It's the same reason the N64 failed in comparison to the PS1. Weird controller, using cartridges over CDs. Final Fantasy 7 was a genuine system seller Nintendo (and Sega, for different reasons) missed out on simply because Square couldn't get the game to work on a cartridge.

N64 and Gamecube failed for reasons outside of their power. If Nintendo made a competently powerful console with great specs all around and 0 handicaps or bottlenecks that drove consumers and developers away they'd dominate Sony and push MS out of the market same way Sega was. Literally if a few design decisions were changed, history would be quite different today.

People keep saying that power and Nintendo are incompatible when it did work and worked in the past. SNES dominated Genesis in large part due to DKC being one of the most impressive visual feats done up to that point. Nintendo was just stupid in ways that handicapped them while other competitors flourished.

Last edited:

Deerock71

"With the exception It's a visual medium. If what you're looking at is improved visually, it's often a better experience. A cleaner image alone can do wonders, especially if a game isn't hitting native res of a display and things start looking blurry. But on the framerate side of things games also become more responsive. People don't just dislike 30fps for no reason, it's a noticeable difference. That's the entire reason two consoles adopted and kept performance modes: people prefer them.
And yet the Nintendo Switch keeps swinging toe-to-toe with these bloated behemoths, coming in first or second depending on what month it is, and probably running the yearly total down to a photo-finish with the PS5. That's got to be a confounding conundrum to you helpless graphics whores, trying to poo-poo those that don't mind playing the game on the lowly Switch, while you spit down from on high from your 64K 1920fps ivory towers. I'll just enjoy the Switch version. Thanks, anyway!*
Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

*It's so fun tweaking you individuals in the nose; you still haven't pointed to one scintilla of evidence it isn't the exact same game (because you can't).

Soodanim

Gold Member
And yet the Nintendo Switch keeps swinging toe-to-toe with these bloated behemoths, coming in first or second depending on what month it is, and probably running the yearly total down to a photo-finish with the PS5. That's got to be a confounding conundrum to you helpless graphics whores, trying to poo-poo those that don't mind playing the game on the lowly Switch, while you spit down from on high from your 64K 1920fps ivory towers. I'll just enjoy the Switch version. Thanks, anyway!*
Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

*It's so fun tweaking you individuals in the nose; you still haven't pointed to one scintilla of evidence it isn't the exact same game (because you can't).
Your entire post is based on the idea that by "people" I mean "all people". I don't. Sorry you wasted your time.

The bing bing wahoo continues unabated, and they continue having the best ips in the Vidya space. But with more polygons.

I doubt they would go all in on "le ultra realistic open world rpg action adventure"

Top Bottom