• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long before I can leave this dentist waiting room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

I'm sitting at the dentist office waiting room. The appointment was for 12pm. 25 minutes later and I'm still waiting.

How long should I wait before I get up and tell them I'm leaving?

This is just for a cleaning.

Also, as I walked in, some other guy walked in after me and they took him first. Maybe he had an appointment for 11:45? Dunno.

Anyways, what do you guys say? Just wondering at what time I can justify leaving?

Iolo

maybe you should get up and ask them what time they think they will see you, 🤷*♀️

25 minutes late and you want to leave? You are overreacting.

That is nothing in medical...

45 minutes to an hour is when it starts getting unreasonable.

LiK

Sometimes this happens when the guy before you comes in late from my experience. I think if it's 30 min, you should ask them what's up before you leave. Maybe they'll get someone else to do it.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
maybe you should get up and ask them what time they think they will see you, 🤷*♀️

DON'T DO THIS

If you bother them they'll put you in the 'problem patients' list and change your cleaning to an unscheduled root canal with no anaesthetic

entremet

Why leave? Do you have another urgent appointment or it's just a lazy weekend day?

You're gonna do this again anyway and are postponing the inevitable.

Just wait and get over it lol. Watch some YT on your phone.

C'mon, bro lol.

That said, I'll probably try looking for other dentists going forward. That's pretty crappy if its standard policy. Sounds like some happened with a previous patient. Oral surgery?

Pretty normal for this to happen in medical offices (my wife works in a dental office). The other guy went in ahead of you because he's probably seeing a different hygienist or something.

If you want you can ask but it's not like you're at a restaurant. They get behind for various reasons, usually due to dumbass patients.

zeemumu

Give it a little longer, and if they take someone else before you, get up and yell "I DID MY WAITING! 12 YEARS OF IT! IN AZKABAN!!!"

styl3s

When booking an appointment for any kind of health reasons i expect at least 30-40 minutes minimum before going back.

Complain or leave it's up to you but don't be shocked when you get put on a shit list for it because doctors often have 0 patience for people who no-show or leave.

LOL at being upset over 25 minutes, pretty standard to have to wait longer. If it's that important to you, try getting an earlier appointment in the day. Delays usually add up over the course of the day, it's not like a doctor or dentist is going to tell their patient, "Looks like I have another appointment in five minutes, we'll just have to rush through the rest of the procedure."

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Lol, dude. Waiting 30 minutes after your appointed time is something I essentially take for granted.

Hoo-doo

Banned
You know, doctors and dentists don't usually have the luxury of having appointments that all work out perfectly in the alloted time.
Sometimes there's complications or issues that pop up that need to be taken care of right then and there. You can't just send the patient home in the middle of a procedure just because time's up.

So suck it up and wait. There's bigger problems in life.

FyreWulff

Talk to the desk. Also usually when someone comes in after you and goes in, they're either late or they are just coming in for a review/talk.

Either way, desk people are there to help you

edit: also they can run late because something came up with an existing patient

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm sitting at the dentist office waiting room. The appointment was for 12pm. 25 minutes later and I'm still waiting.

How long should I wait before I get up and tell them I'm leaving?

This is just for a cleaning.

Also, as I walked in, some other guy walked in after me and they took him first. Maybe he had an appointment for 11:45? Dunno.

Anyways, what do you guys say? Just wondering at what time I can justify leaving?

The guy that came after likely is seeing a different hygienist in the office. Wouldn't affect your appointment anyway.

My guess is the appt before yours came late which in-turn affected yours to be pushed down until they finish.

deadbeef

The earlier in the day you can get an appointment the better, as overrun appointment times compound over he course of the day.

Iolo

Also next time you go to an interview, make sure to storm out after 30 minutes, even after the receptionist assures you the interviewer is running a little late and just about ready. Especially do this if you've been out of work for a while

old

Sometimes this happens when the guy before you comes in late from my experience. I think if it's 30 min, you should ask them what's up before you leave. Maybe they'll get someone else to do it.

If true then never show up earlier than 30 minutes late. Since they'll still see you before those whose appointments are later.

Philia

I've waited 4 fucking hours at a dentist's office once. NEVER AGAIN. I have anxiety and that office took people that had medicaid which meant there's TONS of people in that room.

I've switched dentists and I've never been so much happier with this one.

LiK

If true then never show up earlier than 30 minutes late. Since they'll still see you before those whose appointments are later.

It's annoying but that's how they operate. Thankfully, my dentist sometimes take me when I'm early and the other guy who comes in late will need to wait. Or they get someone else to do it so it's not a long wait.

I was in a dentist's waiting room once and they had a video on the telly of all the staff dancing and singing around the practice.

I'm still not fully over it.

MsKrisp

Just ask the front desk... they'll likely charge you a missed appointment fee if you leave

Also, lol 25m

Iolo

Call them up and schedule a new appointment for 15 minutes from now using a fake name. If they call that name before yours, you'll know it's personal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom