• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long do you keep your phones?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've currently got an iPhone 12 Pro from 2020 and I've been planning to get an iPhone 15 Pro this year (3 years later). However, my phone still works great, has no burn in, 88% battery health, I like the blue color, etc... I could honestly put it off for another year if I wanted and I don't feel like my phone would hold me back at all.

This got me to thinking... how long do you guys keep your phones before upgrading?

Sleepwalker

I got a samsung galaxy s8+ on release back in 2017 and used it till last year. I used to upgrade phones all the time but don't really care anymore.

Currently have a Z Fold 3 thats 1 year old, as long as it works I can see me keeping it for 2-3 years more and jump onto the fold 6-7 train. This may change if there's unreal trade offers or if my phone gets damaged.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I currently have an iPhone 13 and plan to stick with it for a good while. It's good enough.
I don't really use phones much so I kind of just toss it around or throw it on a bed or something and forget about it. I was phoneless for, I think, 6 years till I got this.

Laieon

Usually every 2-3 years. I currently have an Xperia 1 II from 2020. I'll probably upgrade it next year. It does everything I want it to do, but security patches aren't being pushed out anymore.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Only have a company phone for almost 20 years across companies. I change them maybe once every 5 years when the IT guys says it's time to upgrade. Not free though. Taxable benefit. :(

lachesis

My last phone was iPhone 7 plus, and upgraded to 13 Mini, right after 14 was announced.
Basically I'm keeping it as long as iOS support is there. Really have no reason for me to upgrade it every few years as I only use it pretty much as text/email machine.

Aesius

I've had my iPhone 8 Plus since June 2018. It still works perfectly fine except for having a terrible battery life. Plan on finally upgrading in Sept when the 15 releases.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It was always 3 years for me but that is because my phones were on death's door by then, but now I'm in the same boat, 2020 iPhone Pro 12 that still works fine.

Haemi

Thinking back to my last few phones:

Price of the phone divided by 200 equals years of use. Bought my iPhoneX six years ago for 1200€ and will switch this year to the new one.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I used to do it every 2 years, give or take but right now I’m on an iPhone 12 from almost 2 years ago and really like it. It’s a nice blue and works great. Battery is 90% so that’s good too.

I might still upgrade to a 13 or 14 once the 15 comes out as I can hand it down to my kids or give it to my parents. They need phones pretty bad. It really depends on the Black Friday deals. If it’s only like $15 more for a phone, I’ll do it, if it is Boyd I’ll just use this phone or buy a new one out right. I’ll probably grab 4 phones this Black Friday but could drop to 2 or 3 depending.

As my current iPhone is my first, does the batter slowly degrade or drop off a cliff? For my old pixels it is totally a cliff

Fbh

Usually until it dies or develops serious issues and/or the battery life degrades too much.
I'm currently on a Samsung S8 I got in 2018 and still don't feel the need to upgrade. Assuming it doesn't die I might upgrade next year because the battery life is slowly getting to the point where it's becoming an issue and sadly where I live there's no repair shop I'd trust with changing the battery.

Paltheos

Usually as long as the device can live or until I begin running into compatibility issues. After my first flip phone, I had an S3 for the better part of a decade. I've had my current V20 for almost 5 years. In both cases tech had soared past my old devices - For the V20 in particular I'm running into reception problems when I'm out where I can't get a connection because the device isn't compatible with 5G. (Also, I dropped it on its side a few times and the 'raise volume' button is smashed in).

My friend recommends me go in on a newer Pixel. I'm considering it. Loss of a headphone jack sure is lame though (even if I have used that feature only a handful of times).

I had a galaxy s7 that blew up within a year of purchase from battery swelling. I then purchased a galaxy s9 and I've had that since I believe 2018. It has had almost no battery degredation, but I've started to suspect that the camera is actually degrading a little.

Esca

I just recently upgraded from my note 9 that I bought soon after it's release and only real reason I upgraded was due to the battery life being horrid those last months.

winjer

Gold Member
There was a time when I changed phones more frequently. One to two years.
But somehow, I just kept a One Plus 6 since late 2019. I only use it for light stuff, like watching youtube, browsing some sites, gmail and gmaps.
So I just don't feel the need to upgrade.
And I installed Lineage OS, updated to Android 13, to have the latest security updates and new features.

-BLITZ-

Using Huawei P9 Lite 2016 version for 6 years now. Still doing it's job. Last year, I replaced the battery by myself because it was too expensive to be done by service. :messenger_relieved:👌
I gonna use it until it brakes, because I cannot afford a new one at the moment. The screen is spotless, along with the casing which has patina in few places. 🤷‍♂️:lollipop_grinning_eyes:

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I too and still rocking a Galaxy S4, just this week put it in a new case and I do need to get a new battery as it’s not holding the charge so well.

there’s not a crack or scratch on the screen
I loved my S4! I dropped it though, that was a sad, sad day indeed.

I got an S7 after, I loved my S7, my son broke it, he put it into ultra power saving mode just as the battery died, it completly knackered it, no idea why, I was livid, another sad day indeed

Currently on an S20 FE. It's absolute dog turd. I went to upgrade my phone through my contract, no Samsungs come with an SD card slot. After they got rid of the 3.5 mil jack and now this, i'm done with new phones..

Guess I'll stick with this turd till it dies.

Tams

About 5 years, but generally until they die.

I have insurance on them though, so these days with the sealed batteries, I just get them replaced on that.

Since 2014, I've had a Note Edge and Fold (first gen, 2019). Insurance replaced the Fold in March as the battery was very degraded (and I'd managed to scratch it up a bit).

However, I am a smartphone collector, so that's only for my main phone. I have quite a few others, but they are part of my collection and I rarely use them (batteries are shot as a result).

Last edited:

mutt765

I still use my Oneplus 3, which came out in 2016. My car's also a 2009.
waynes-world-garth.gif

Capitan Todd

Neo Member
Still using my iPhone XR from 2018. Might upgrade after using it for 5 years. Although surprisingly the battery still lasts a whole day easily and it’s still quite fast. Camera is starting to show its age.

Before this I used an iPhone 6 for 4 years. Gave it to my mom and she used it for another 2 years.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I've currently got an iPhone 12 Pro from 2020 and I've been planning to get an iPhone 15 Pro this year (3 years later). However, my phone still works great, has no burn in, 88% battery health, I like the blue color, etc... I could honestly put it off for another year if I wanted and I don't feel like my phone would hold me back at all.

This got me to thinking... how long do you guys keep your phones before upgrading?
The 12 Pro I got at launch has been the one phone I’ve never felt the need to replace after 2 years. I don’t see any reason to, just like you the battery capacity is the only thing making me think it feels old.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
On my second phone since 2013. I think I got this one in 2018 or 2019, don't remember. It's not high on my list of priorities to upgrade.

nkarafo

For as long as possible.

I'm on my second smartphone. My first was in 2013 or 2014, a Galaxy S3 after it's price dropped a lot. In 2018 i had to replace it because some apps would run very slowly, such as Google maps and it only had 512MB RAM. So i got an A7 (2018). I still have that one because it runs everything i use smoothly and has enough RAM (4GB) for everything and a premium screen. I tend to keep the OS clean, without many apps and some bloat removed/disabled anyway. It still runs on Android 8, which is fine, i don't give a shit about having the latest version or something. As long as the apps support it, i'm fine.

Unfortunately, the battery is pretty much dead. It still lasts for a full day but it takes like 10 hours to charge.

It's funny that even after 5 years i still don't see a good replacement. I bought the thing for 250$ in 2018, if i buy a new phone at that price today it will hardly be an update.

Had an SE 2020 since release which I dropped and smashed it up real bad when getting out of my car (was in an Apple leather Case) so bought a 14 Pro Max 2 months ago, this will be it for me until it breaks and I need to upgrade.

Mossybrew

My Samsung is about six years old or so, and it was far from top of the line when I got it. I usually use a phone until it dies, but this old thing is awful slow, I should upgrade soon. I don't use my phone as much as a lot of people do, so it's never been a huge priority to upgrade.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
For me it was around 4 years between phones replacement. Galaxy S2 to S6 Edge Plus was amazing( the screen size basically feel like it doubled) then S10+ that I still have today. I waited more than usual because not only the phone is great and tech did not evolve that much from it, but I am looking at the Fold series and am waiting for when they make foldable phones perfect. Having a phone that can be a tablet at will is amazing but they are sadly not there yet.

Ownage

I kept my last two phones before this S23 Ultra for 5 years each. If they're about a grand when purchased new, that's $200 a year, and I'm good with it.

Top Bottom