• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long do you keep your phones?

Sybrix

I had my iPhone 7 Plus from new, got an iPhone 14 Plus few months ago.

I loved my iPhone 7 Plus, best iPhone ever. I only upgraded as it was becoming faulty.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
2phones-kevin-gates.gif

Irobot82

3-4 years, depending on how it lasts, battery or breaking it. Maybe longer if I'm lucky. Just don't see any need to a faster phone to do the same things.

Rockondevil

Used to be every 2 years up til I got the iPhone X.
It lasted me 5 years before I decided to upgrade for more battery life.
Not sure how long I’ll keep this phone but if I get 3-5 I’ll be more than happy.

I still have my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Not planning to change until it is broken or not getting iOS updates. It is $2000 to get a new iPhone so I want to maximise my ROI.

Tg89

I've had my XR since release. To be fair I don't use it for much heavy stuff, less so now that I almost exclusively WFH. Mostly browsing the web and reddit. That said, I'll probably bite the bullet this year - starting to show its age.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm due for a phone upgrade at work. Currently use an iPhone 8. It works fin for what I need but small. I know people at work who got upgrades from IT getting iPhone 12s. I guess that's the top end corporate phone available to us.

Thanks for the thread OP. It's a reminder for me to bug IT for a new phone.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm due for a phone upgrade at work. Currently use an iPhone 8. It works fin for what I need but small. I know people at work who got upgrades from IT getting iPhone 12s. I guess that's the top end corporate phone available to us.

Thanks for the thread OP. It's a reminder for me to bug IT for a new phone.
My work phone is also an iPhone 12. The battery life is nice.

Mistake

I have an iphone XS max. No performance issues at 5 years old. I usually wait things out until it gets slow. My last phone was a 6S, and I swear to this day a firmware update destroyed the battery usage. Even after I replaced it, didn't matter

Kamina

Golden Boy
Currently surfing on an iPhone X
IPhones became super expensive and Apple has yet to convince me to upgrade from the X.

Last edited:

Banned
there's less and less reason to upgrade. the last one I had 4 years. my current one might stick around for longer than that.

xrnzaaas

Around 5 years unless it's damaged and not worth repairing. I really don't anything fancy - as long as it runs the banking app, spotify, current browsers etc. I'm good.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
2 years because we get new ones through my job. Then I hand my phone down to a relative usually.
We got them for Covid for the WFH element but after lockdown ended work decided to no longer pay the contracts - we could keep and pay ourselves but the cheeky fuckers still expect us to use Teams and other apps on our personal devices for work or pay for two contracts now.

Last edited:

Drake

3-4 years. I've had my moto z4 since November 2019 and it still runs great. The only issue is that Motorola doesn't give the phone security updates anymore and it only runs Android 10. Hardware never seems to be the issue, it's longterm software support which is how these companies get you.

MikeM

Iphone X here. Thing works great besides a wonky charge port. Bought a wireless charger to fix the issue. Plan on keeping it until she dies. Phones are way too expensive and I buy them outright.

Forsete

Gold Member
2-3 years with Android. The batteries have always failed me.

I have a iPhone 12 now, which is 2 years old but I've never been more happier with a phone than this. Only thing I regret is that it only has 64 GB of memory.
Battery health of this phone after 440 charges is 97% according to CoconutBattery.

Roughly five years unless a huge leap in technological advancements pursued me to make a purchase. I've stuck to the Samsung Galaxy Note series for a very long time now. I'm Currently on the S22 Ultra.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
After thinking about this more, I think I'm going to stick with my 12 Pro for another year. They made the phone too good... I don't have much reason to upgrade lol. Plus I like this Pacific Blue color. I just wish they still sold all of the silicon case colors for it.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I currently have the Xperia 1 II from 2020
I wasn't gonna upgrade to it back then and now I feel even less need to now.
Phones have gotten to that diminished returns point.
Even 3 phones back the difference is it gotten bigger and smaller bezels.
yeah the hardware is more powerful but it's gotten kinda less noticeable after 3gb ram

Cyberpunkd

I have a 13 Pro, going to use it probably till it gives up, hopefully Apple releases a flip phone in the next 3-4 years, otherwise it’s pointless to switch.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Used to buy a new one every year but I don't see the point anymore. 120Hz OLED.. Camera is solid..there's nothing more to gain.

Denton

As long as they work sufficiently well or until I destroy them.

Nokia 3210 - 6 years
iPaq Business Navigator - 3 years
Samsung Monte - 4 years
LG L9 II - 1 year (forgot in pocket, drowned in an ocean)
Asus Zenfone 2 - 7 years (battery got too weak)
Motorola G72 - seven months so far and very happy with it, hopefully it will last another 7 years at least.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Ah... so you guys do have phones!

Using a Huawei P Smart 2019, had a Microsoft phone before that which was my first smartphone. Never bought one myself my wife always bought them for me.

sono

Gold Member
I view a mobile phone as a practical device, if it breaks down or software I need is no longer compatible I upgrade then

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I have a Sammy S22 Ultra and tbh I have absolutely no qualms with it, I love the S-pen, the screen, the cameras especially the 10x optical zoom, proper game changer so this one will do until the Folds hit a point where the tech and form factor don't cost the price of a new telly

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Still using a Galaxy S10. Battery lasts all day with constant podcasts/music/audio books going and decent web browsing through the day. So no need to replace it yet.

iPhone X to iPhone 14 Pro.

Wife phone broke so I got me a new one and gave her my iPhone X.

Before I had a bunch of Android like the Samsung edge 6 plus. But I feel they get pretty lame after 3 years. iPhone X run rock solid, even my wife older iPhones run faster (but all with broke glass 😂)

Last edited:

Mithos

Switched my Sony Compact Z5 Compact for a Asus Zenfone 8 in 2021.
Bank apps etc required Android 6 and my Z5 Compact was on 7 so I decided too leap in front of the inevitable update to Android 7 requirement to a phone that at least would have Android 12 (It has Android 13 now).

So I guess that when Bank apps etc start to require Android 12 I'll start looking for a new phone.

VN1X

Banned
Every other week. I use a burner. I work for the government. Clandestine operations.

Over and out.

Go_Ly_Dow

Rocking a Pixel 4a from 2020, no issues, runs fine and battery solid. I'll probably upgrade to a Pixel 7 or 8 by year end.

Urban

My Iphone 12 from 2020 has still 87% battery left but it doesnt feel that way. Performance and Camera wise its more than enough for me but the battery drains really fast

Until it gets too outdated to use basically. As long as I can do everything I need on it then I usually keep my phones for a while. I mostly only use it to text and call so it's very rare I'm in any rush to upgrade usually.

Portugeezer

Until it feels slow or breaks.

Given what I use my phone for, it could be many years. I have a Galaxy S10 which is fast enough still.

Top Bottom