• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long should a video game review be? (Video)

What's the ideal length of a review video?

• Under 5 minutes.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • 5 to 10 minutes.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • 10 to 15 minutes

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 20 minutes

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • 25+ minutes

Votes: 4 17.4%

• Total voters
So I was looking at the IGN thread posted on here and one user talked about how IGN are good with their reviews usually being bite sized (5 to 7 minutes) and it got me thinking... how long should review videos be?

Personally I prefer the 5 minute ish format. If I am on the fence about a game or perhaps just checking it out, I want to see enough but I don't want everything spoiled. If I watched a big long ass 20 minute review I feel like I've played the game without doing so.

So GAF, what's the ideal length of a review video in your opinion?

ssringo

As long as it needs to be to convey and show the points being made.

I'd probably tap out by the 30 minute mark though.

AJUMP23

5 to 10 minutes is enough for me. But I do not really care. If people want to do long form in depth reviews then I think there is an audience for that.

5-10 for most videos reviews, though 20 minutes is probably my limit. Some of these usually go overboard with unnecessary exposition and filler content.

Kacho

10 minutes is the sweet spot usually. If the reviewer has interesting thoughts they can go a little longer. Anything more than 20 minutes is pushing it though, and don’t get me started on stuff like a 4 hour Fallout 4 review. No thanks.

poodaddy

As short as possible. Fuck off with these long form reviews for hours, if you can't explain your point succinctly then you still got editing to do. This long form shit is for self proclaimed intellectuals who like to speak often yet manage to say very little.

odhiex

Ideally, I like the review videos less than 10 minutes. Unless, the videos are well-made, funny and entertaining...I could bare to watch a bit longer.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The obvious answer seems to be, any time they want?

Sometimes I just want to see the score and that's it. Sometimes I want to see less than 5 minutes., and barely want to see the game due to spoilers. Sometimes I've already beaten the game and want to watch an hour long essay dissecting the game.

Kacho

As short as possible. Fuck off with these long form reviews for hours, if you can't explain your point succinctly then you still got editing to do. This long form shit is for self proclaimed intellectuals who like to speak often yet manage to say very little.
Yeah, those long form reviews are pure self-indulgence.

Top Bottom