• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many different Link's are there in the entire LoZ series?

Hollywood

Banned
"Hero of Time" Link: OoT, Majora's Mask
Wind Waker Link: Wind Waker of course, maybe Minish Cap too right?

I have no idea how to classify the others, or if they even went by a certain name? Anyone have an idea of how to explain how it goes? Some Link's are the same, some are a different story .. ?

AniHawk

Hero of Time: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask
Hero of Winds/The Wind Waker: The Wind Waker
Link from LoZ/Zelda II/ALttP
or
Link from LoZ/Zelda II and a separate one for ALttP

then there's the FS timeline, which has a different history altogether (FS -> FSA -> TMC).

Hollywood

Banned
What about Link's Awakening, and the two GBC games? I think Link from LoZ and Zelda 2 are the same. I'm not sure how LttP interrelates though.

Syckx

The Link in LoZ and AoL is the same one; however, the Link in aLttP is a seperate and the last Link as it is the final game in the series regardless of how patently false NoA was in calling it a fucking prequel.

OoT and MM are the same Link and WW is different.

Game Boy titles I always considered to be an alternate world, and the Four Swords and Minish Cap games seem to validate that.

luxsol

The official word is that each Zelda game has a different Link. Aonuma seems to be speaking for himself and Miyamoto in this interview.
In the beginning of the game, we see Link receive his trademark green tunic. It is explained that Link is the Hero of Time. Just how many Links are there?
Mr. Aonuma: In our opinions, every Zelda game features a different Link. A new hero named Link always rises to fight evil.
http://www.zelda.com/gcn/legend_popup.jsp?page=2

Just how well does this fit into what is said in the games and by fans? ::shrugs::

Personally, i like history that AniHawk said.

hobbitx

I've also been wondering about this for a really long time. I wish one day in a Zelda game they let you enter a Triforce temple that has a huge mural of all the different Links throughout the ages. I'd love to see a girl Link standing right next to a big burly bearded Link. Or even better, bring back the old Shadow Link formula from OoT and let you go head to head with past Links in effort to prove your worthyness of the Master Sword. A dungeon like that would let me die a happy man. :)

AniHawk

hobbitx said:
Or even better, bring back the old Shadow Link formula from OoT and let you go head to head with past Links in effort to prove your worthyness of the Master Sword. A dungeon like that would let me die a happy man. :)

Holy shit, I think you might've stumbled onto something there...

That would be a cool idea :D But I'd so let cel-shaded link maul angst-Link. >:) He rocks!

I also see it as different timelines, whatever the "official" line is. I can't reconcile the NES/SNES Link's with those from the N64 gen onwards for example. For me it's like this:

First Link:
The Legend of Zelda ---> Adventure of Link --->

Second:
A Link to the Past ---> Link's Awakening --->

Third:
Ocarina of Time ---> Majora's Mask --->

Fourth:
Oracle of Ages/Seasons --->

Fifth:
The Wind Waker ---> ???

The Four Links:
Four Swords ---> Four Swords Adventures --->

Minish Cap is a part of one of those timelines, if you've read which in my spoiler tags before I made this edit, then you already know where. It's awesome btw.

Link in the new Gamecube game could actually fit into one of those other timelines, rather than having his own too.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nice history and exactly the way I considered it. It would be really cool if somehow they paid homage to past game events.. like it was cool going into Hyrule Castle in Wind Waker and seeing the sages all in tainted glass.

radcliff

Miyamoto said that LA can take place after any game in the series. The interview in which he said this occured before TWW and the Oracle games were released so maybe he changed his position since then. But according to Miiamoto, the order is as follows:

OOT - MM - TWW - LOZ - AOL - ALTTP (with LA occuring after any game)

We do know that the completed Triforce sends Link to his quest of enlightenment (Oracle Series) so the Oracle games probably occur after AOL when the Triforce is completed by Link for the 1st time, or after ALTTP when Link reunites the 3 Triforce pieces. In fact, my guess is that the Oracle games are the quest of enlightenment that Link was returning from in LA. But I have nothing to prove that with.

Top Bottom