• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How many PS3 games were actually shown in 1080p?

You see all this bitching and moaning about how the "tard" pack won't have HDMI, but how much use would that get anyway? Obviously BR would use it but, correct me if I'm wrong here, even that HD-DVD player thats out doesn't do 1080p and it doesn't matter because 30 fps is more than movies even play in? Back to the point, does anyone actually expect more than maybe 5-10% of games released for PS3 to support 1080p? I sure don't. It's a fucking novelty.

GT HD supported it, right? Was there anything else?

ram

you can play with the "tard" pack games and movies in 1080p too. just not with the hdmi interface.

Aryuken

Banned
War Devil had a 1080p video. Don't know much more than that. Look the thing is, the number of games that will have it will be short, and honestly, the number of people with a 1080p TV will be as short.

Do you have a 1080p TV? Then who cares...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I believe Resistance: Fall of Man is another...but what does HDMI have to do with playing games in 1080p? :p

tehama

Ted said Resistance was running in 720p in our closed session if I remember correctly. I'll be able to verify when I get our tapes back from the person doing our video editing. HDMI Next Gen is important for 1080p because without it you can't output 1080p. Component cables can only output up to 1080i. That's the reason the 1080p capable TV sets out there can only take 1080i input and have to upscale it to 1080p.

pcostabel

Gold Member
Aryuken said:
Warhawk is a no. Resistence, they said maybe, depends on the tradeoffs, they are trying.

At GDC they stated that it was 1080p/60. They asked to show it on the side screens and Phil said that those didn't support 1080p.

Aryuken

Banned
pcostabel said:
At GDC they stated that it was 1080p/60. They asked to show it on the side screens and Phil said that those didn't support 1080p.

Interesting. At e3 they said that no, it wouldn't have 1080p....and hey...those monitors did support "True HD".

Jim said:
Heavy Rain is a possibility as well, though it wasn't confirmed either way

HEavy rain is a tech demo for the technology that they will integrate in their next gen game for next gen consoles and PC. ITs not a game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
According to Ars Technica, an Evolution rep said they might try to get Motorstorm out at 1080p, but that's clearly less than a promise..

llaannccee said:
To the people that saw games running at 1080p did you notice straight away?

I'd be surprised if they did, on the screens of the size at E3. Well, maybe they might have looked a little cleaner, perhaps.

pcostabel

Gold Member
llaannccee said:
To the people that saw games running at 1080p did you notice straight away?

It depends on the display. The sets on the floor were relatively small, so it wasn't obvious.
The big screens inside the boots (70", I beleive) looked awesome in comparison.

Jim

Aryuken said:
Interesting. At e3 they said that no, it wouldn't have 1080p....and hey...those monitors did support "True HD".

HEavy rain is a tech demo for the technology that they will integrate in their next gen game for next gen consoles and PC. ITs not a game.

Heavy Rain IS a game franchise, but "Heavy Rain: The Casting" was a demo yeah.
But still, it was in-game and brought up as a potential 1080p title by a few attendees.

And, for the billionth time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video
"Component video is capable of producing signals such as 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p"

Klocker

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/707/707540p1.html

Well, we're in the 1080p era now, but we're not seeing that as a full-on standard by any means. Most of the games on the show floor (both at Sony's booth and at other booths displaying PS3 games) were running at 720p in the current build, although higher resolutions are being targeted for the final game. Here's a rundown of what we have been able to confirm regarding resolutions for PS3 titles:
Gran Turismo HD -- Full 1080p
WarDevil -- 1080p
Madden 07 -- 1080i
Mobile Suit Gundam -- 1080i on show floor
Resistance: Fall of Man -- 720p, aiming for 1080 in either form (an Insomniac designer says that the game can run at 1080 in the current build, but the team is weighing the trade-off in system power consumption at that res ... basically, they can do it, and now it's all up to what's best for the game.)
MotorStorm -- 720p on show floor, will stay at 720p but will get to (and hopefully be locked at) 60fps
Warhawk -- 720p on show floor
Heavenly Sword -- 720p on show floor
Eye of Judgment -- 720p
My SingStar -- *TBA
Genji 2 -- 720p
F1 '06 -- 720p, planning for full 60FPS but not necessarily any resolution bump-up
Virtua Tennis 3 -- 720p, planning for 1080i
Sonic the Hedgehog -- 720p
Untold Legends -- 720p
Heavy Rain -- *TBA (expected to be 1080p or 1080i, due to placement at booth -- the game was placed on monitor with a "1080" plaque, but this refers to the Sony monitor, and several PS3 games not at 1080i or 1080p were on these screens, possibly with TV-generated upscaling)
Indiana Jones -- *TBA
Full Auto 2: Battlelines -- 720p at show, the team is weighing options past that but with the defining factor being a 60FPS framerate above all else
Fatal Inertia -- *TBA
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance -- *TBA
Assassin's Creed -- *TBA
Tiger Woods 07 -- *TBA (demo is only tech concept, running on PS3 but not really a PS3 "game" demo)
Tiger Woods 07 -- *TBA (demo is only tech concept, running on PS3 but not really a PS3 "game" demo)
NBA Live 07 -- *TBA (demo is only tech concept, running on PS3 but not really a PS3 "game" demo)
The Club -- Only playable on Xbox 360 at E3
Tony Hawk's Project 8 -- Only playable on Xbox 360 at E3 Haze -- Only playable on Xbox 360 at E3 Rainbow Six: Vegas -- Only playable on Xbox 360 at E3 Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway -- Only playable on Xbox 360 and PC at E3

tehama

pcostabel said:

You'd have to have been in a closed session with them. They said that it was currently running in 720p in our session and when I asked them what they would do on the visual side between now and launch due to having final tools, Ted said they weren't going to change/add anything to the game in that regards between now and launch.

BlueTsunami

So just to make sure this gets absorbed into the collective GAF conciousness.

Choosing HDMI or Component Out will NOT effect your ability to play games in 1080p. HDMI is only really needed for people who want the Video Signal and Audio Signal to travel through one Out. It also only has the ability to carry HD Audio (lossless Audio).

HDMI or Component Out, you will be playing and viewing BD and PS3 video games in 1080p no matter what you choose.

Aryuken

Banned
pcostabel said:
Interesting, thanks. I could have sworn that Warhawk was 1080p. It certainly looked like that on the 70" set.

Well...720p looks pretty good ya know? HEll Gears of War looked amazing and it was shown on a theatre screen.

RuGalz

Stop dreaming about games running at 1080p at stable framerate with next-gen level of graphics now. There's just not enough bandwidth for it...

ghibli99

Subjectively, I saw very little difference between the 720p and 1080i/1080p titles at the show. Personally, I was more impressed with 480 games like Okami and GOW2, just because they were so refined. I look forward to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th years of any console cycle.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
RuGalz said:
Stop dreaming about games running at 1080p at stable framerate with next-gen level of graphics now. There's just not enough bandwidth for it...

RESISTENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!! WARDEVIL!!!! FUCK!! It's also 1st gen games. Damn think people. What's happening with GAF? :(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's possible they were all being upscaled to 1080p -- that's one of ps3's output resolutions, and the tvs sony were using had "true hd: 1080p" stickers on them. i wish i'd taken a close look at gt hd...bebpo says the jump from 720p is comparable to the jump from 480p to 720p, and the numbers agree with him.

Klocker

mckmas8808 said:
RESISTENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!! WARDEVIL!!!! FUCK!! It's also 1st gen games. Damn think people. What's happening with GAF? :(

Resistance: Fall of Man -- 720p, aiming for 1080 in either form (meaning 1080i maybe too)(an Insomniac designer says that the game can run at 1080 in the current build, but the team is weighing the trade-off in system power consumption at that res ... basically, they can do it, and now it's all up to what's best for the game.)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/707/707540p1.html

I think before you have a coronary ;), you should read the last line in that quote and realize what Devs realize. there are other things that they will most likely find the need to spend their resources on, other than a bump in Res.

BlueTsunami

drohne said:
it's possible they were all being upscaled to 1080p -- that's one of ps3's output resolutions, and the tvs sony were using had "true hd: 1080p" stickers on them. i wish i'd taken a close look at gt hd...bebpo says the jump from 720p is comparable to the jump from 480p to 720p, and the numbers agree with him.

The numbers are there and a jump from 720p to 1080p should be noticable, you just need a large screen to notice. I'm guessing a game thats natively rendered at 1080i/p won't be able to show its benefits (over 720p) until you hit a 45"+ Screen. The larger the screen the bigger the contrast will be.

drohne

the demo tvs weren't that big, but you ended up standing really close to them, which i'd expect to produce a similar effect. i'd bet the difference was perceptible.

Acosta

it's possible they were all being upscaled to 1080p -- that's one of ps3's output resolutions, and the tvs sony were using had "true hd: 1080p" stickers on them

Not 100% sure but I think not all TVs used that stick. For example in Heavely Sword demo they had "Full HD: 1080".

Seriously, I´m having headaches this gen with console resolution. Just hope the difference between a 1080p and 1080i is not very noticeable in a 26" TV. I have a very nice Sony Bravia that do wonders for my games now (specially PC and X360) and I won´t change again for PS3.

joePM

OPM SHILL
FWIW, the Warhawk dudes specifically said that they would -not- be trying for 1080. They said the tradeoff just wasn't worth it for them; they'd lose all kinds of fancy-shmancy effects.

I pressed the guy on it and he said that there's no hard-and-fast ceiling for that sort of thing. That is, it's not like if you do 1080p it's impossible to do pixel shading or whatnot. He just said they didn't have enough experience to make it happen without a major tradeoff at this point.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BlueTsunami said:
As you may have noticed from pcostables locked thread

COMPONENT OUT CAN DISPLAY 1080P JESUS CHRIST

Although that is still mighty inconvenient, since every since every single 1080p TV has HDMI. Anyway, the PS3 tard pack ensures that almost nobody will include 1080p mode - it'll be similar numbers to that seen in 1080i on Xbox.

2D fighting games would look nice tho...Guilty Gears?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
BlueTsunami said:
So just to make sure this gets absorbed into the collective GAF conciousness.

Choosing HDMI or Component Out will NOT effect your ability to play games in 1080p. HDMI is only really needed for people who want the Video Signal and Audio Signal to travel through one Out. It also only has the ability to carry HD Audio (lossless Audio).

HDMI or Component Out, you will be playing and viewing BD and PS3 video games in 1080p no matter what you choose.

You forgot to mention the whole, you know, digital output thing. Which fixed pixel display people benefit from greatly. I'd rather a non DAC'd image.

drohne

Stinkles said:
Anyway, the PS3 tard pack ensures that almost nobody will include 1080p mode - it'll be similar numbers to that seen in 1080i on Xbox.

i hadn't even thought of that. damn you, tard pack. :(

well, it's not as if i have a 1080p tv anyway. but i will. someday.

joePM

OPM SHILL
Just checked the specs on the 1080p TV I just got...it does -not- accept 1080p over component. I believe those who say that the component bandwidth does allow 1080p, but it sounds like the "but TV manufacturers won't support it" argument may hold water.

This disturbs me. This is an entry-level 37" TV that's obviously aimed at the non-enthusiast market (LCD, fair but not exceptional contrast, decent but not top-of-the-line refresh, etc.).

Now, the screen does do 1080p over VGA...so I imagine something like this would work. But at $45...might as well just drop the extra $55 for a PS3 ULTRA(!!).

I think the "if you can afford $500 you can afford $600" argument is pretty hard to beat anyway. But then again, I AM SO BIAS!!!1!

ghibli99

How about BRD movies? Without HDMI and HDCP, aren't BRD movies downcoverted to 540p? I've heard that the early batch of movies won't have that flag on the discs, but for future titles, this could be a concern. Thanks.

drohne

supposedly movie studios have agreed not to implement that downscaling flag until 2010, but i trust movie studios and their agreements as far as i can throw them. $600 ps3 it is. :/

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
GreenNight said:
I love how my $2000 HDTV I purchased last year doesnt do 1080p. Its even a Sony. Thanks Sony!

It's your fault if you were ignorant about the specifications of the $2000 tv you bought, or if you went into the purchase fully aware, well, it's been made obvious for a long time now that sony would be supporting 1080p with the PS3.

1080p isn't some proprietary sony format, and almost all TVs from last year or older either function at a lower res or don't accept 1080p sources. Sell your tv on craigslist and buy a 2006 SXRD in a couple months if you're actually concerned about 1080p and not just throwing out a useless troll.

Stinkles

EviLore said:
It's your fault if you were ignorant about the specifications of the $2000 tv you bought, or if you went into the purchase fully aware, well, it's been made obvious for a long time now that sony would be supporting 1080p with the PS3.

1080p isn't some proprietary sony format, and almost all TVs from last year or older either function at a lower res or don't accept 1080p sources. Sell your tv on craigslist and buy a 2006 SXRD in a couple months if you're actually concerned about 1080p and not just throwing out a useless troll.

Blaming consumers for not knowing about constantly, pointlessly shifting unadvertised standards that are, if anything, muddied by research, is simply not fair.

It's like blaming your mom for not understanding die-size when her PDA breaks.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Stinkles said:
Blaming consumers for not knowing about constantly, pointlessly shifting unadvertised standards that are, if anything, muddied by research, is simply not fair.

It's like blaming your mom for not understanding die-size when her PDA breaks.

Blaming sony for his TV not being 1080p is fair?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Stinkles said:
Although that is still mighty inconvenient, since every since every single 1080p TV has HDMI.

HP Pavillion 1080p DLPs say hi :D

Also all of the top line CRT Front Projectors from years ago did 1080p without HDMI....take, for example the Sony G90U from *1999*:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_115.htm

Then there is the JVC QXGA D-ILA from 2001 (DLA-QX1G)

http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_315.htm

Then we have the Faroudja FDP-DILA1080pHD which only does 1920p via DVI and Component video:

http://www.meridian-audio.com/faroudja/prod_fdp-DILA1080pHD.html

Then we have the Runco Signature Cinema SC-1 which does 2048x1080 res via component:

http://www.runco.com/press_releases.section/pages/releasec01b35c3439.html

Or how about the Vidikron Vision Model 80 (1080p via DVI or component video)

http://www.projectorcentral.com/news_story_748.htm

I could find more examples if you wish :D

Stinkles

EviLore said:
Blaming sony for his TV not being 1080p is fair?

If you're going to paraphrase, at least wait a couple of posts - what I said, verbatim, in plain english, was this:

I'm not saying he's blameless, I'm saying this stuff is not easy for consumers. In fact, it's a clusterfuck.

Top Bottom