• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Many Xbox 360s Do You Think Succumbed To Hardware Failure And Were Subsequently Replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The Xbox 360 has one of the highest rates of hardware failure in the history of electronics; evidence of this fact is a survey by magazine Game Informer, which indicates that 54.2% of Xbox 360s failed by 2009, the final year that the original, defective model was sold. The console malfunctioned in various ways, such as by effectively becoming a brick due to software updates, damaging discs inserted into its disc drive, overheating due to poorly installed heatsinks, and suffering a general (unidentified) failure that is indicated by the Red Ring of Death (the illumination of three of the LEDs around its power button).

The cause of these hardware failures were intrinsic aspects of the console: its design and highly compartmentalized manufacturing process. Microsoft wanted the Xbox 360 to appear more stylish and compact than its brawny and widely-considered unaesthetic predecessor; hence, they made it much smaller, which was problematic because it included more powerful components than its predecessor and subsequently produced more heat - but had less internal space for the greater amount of heat to dissipate. Additionally, the console was comprised of over 1000 components that were supplied by over 200 companies, which made it difficult to assure that every component was not defective and also made it difficult to trace the source of a unit's hardware failure (Source).

Microsoft was aware that the console's construction was flawed even before its release, because a whopping 68% of units that were manufactured were determined to be defective (Source).

When you consider the percentage of Xbox 360s that have suffered hardware failures, it's apparent that the 85 million units of the console that have been sold partly consist of units that were bought to replace ones that failed. Hence, the actual install base of the Xbox 360 was definitely lower than 85 million. According to the survey mentioned above and was conducted in 2009, 36.4% of respondents said that they had to buy a replacement unit due to their original one failing. If we apply that 36.4% to the 30 million units that had been sold by 2009, the last year that the defective model was sold, we get the following:

36.4% -> 0.364

0.364 x 30,000,000 = 10,920,000 units

Hence, the actual install base of the Xbox 360 would be the following:

85,000,000 - 10,920,000 = 74,080,000

Hence, it's reasonable to assume that the install base of the Xbox brand decreased...by 27,080,000 users between the generation of the Xbox 360 and that of the Xbox One.

-------------------------------------------------------
Here's the current distribution of the "hardcore-gaming" console market.

Number of PlayStation 4s sold: 110,000,000

Number of Xbox Ones sold: 47,000,000

Total number of "hardcore gaming" consoles sold = 157 million

Percentage Distribution:

PlayStation 4 = (110,000,000 / 157,000,000) x 100 = 70.06%
Xbox Series X = (47,000,000 / 157,000,000) × 100 = 29.94%

Microsoft would need to increase their install base by 67.02% to increase their share of the "hardcore-gaming" console market to 50%.

157,000,000 / 2 = 78,500,000

78,500,000 - 47,000,000 = 31,500,000

(31,500,000 / 47,000,000) x 100 = 67.02%

However, considering my theory that the actual install base of Xbox during the generation of the Xbox 360 was only 74,080,000 and that it decreased during the generation of the Xbox One, it's highly unlikely that Microsoft will be able to increase it by a whopping 67.02%.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I broke my falcon myself and then bought jasper in 2008 which lasted me to this day.
My friend broke two units with gta iv and we resurrected one with towel trick lol

nikolino840

Dna4gB7.gif

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
what do you think it's in reaction to?

Me?

It all started in this thread

OP thinks 45million people bought 2 xbox 360s each lol.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The Xbox 360 has one of the highest rates of hardware failure in the history of electronics; evidence of this fact is a survey by magazine Game Informer, which indicates that 54.2% of Xbox 360s failed by 2009, the final year that the original, defective model was sold. The console malfunctioned in various ways, such as by effectively becoming a brick due to software updates, damaging discs inserted into its disc drive, overheating due to poorly installed heatsinks, and suffering a general (unidentified) failure that is indicated by the Red Ring of Death (the illumination of three of the LEDs around its power button).

The cause of these hardware failures were intrinsic aspects of the console: its design and highly compartmentalized manufacturing process. Microsoft wanted the Xbox 360 to appear more stylish and compact than its brawny and widely-considered unaesthetic predecessor; hence, they made it much smaller, which was problematic because it included more powerful components than its predecessor and subsequently produced more heat - but had less internal space for the greater amount of heat to dissipate. Additionally, the console was comprised of over 1000 components that were supplied by over 200 companies, which made it difficult to assure that every component was not defective and also made it difficult to trace the source of a unit's hardware failure (Source).

Microsoft was aware that the console's construction was flawed even before its release, because a whopping 68% of units that were manufactured were determined to be defective (Source).

When you consider the percentage of Xbox 360s that have suffered hardware failures, it's apparent that the 85 million units of the console that have been sold partly consist of units that were bought to replace ones that failed. Hence, the actual install base of the Xbox 360 was definitely lower than 85 million. According to the survey mentioned above and was conducted in 2009, 36.4% of respondents said that they had to buy a replacement unit due to their original one failing. If we apply that 36.4% to the 30 million units that had been sold by 2009, the last year that the defective model was sold, we get the following:

36.4% -> 0.364

0.364 x 30,000,000 = 10,920,000 units

Hence, the actual install base of the Xbox 360 would be the following:

85,000,000 - 10,920,000 = 74,080,000

Hence, it's reasonable to assume that the install base of the Xbox brand decreased...by 27,080,000 users between the generation of the Xbox 360 and that of the Xbox One.

Here's the current distribution of the "hardcore-gaming" console market.

Number of PlayStation 4s sold: 110,000,000

Number of Xbox Ones sold: 47,000,000

Total number of "hardcore gaming" consoles sold = 157 million

Percentage Distribution:

PlayStation 4 = (110,000,000 / 157,000,000) x 100 = 70.06%
Xbox Series X = (47,000,000 / 157,000,000) × 100 = 29.94%

Microsoft would need to increase their install base by 67.02% to increase their share of the "hardcore-gaming" console market to 50%.

157,000,000 / 2 = 78,500,000

78,500,000 - 47,000,000 = 31,500,000

(31,500,000 / 47,000,000) x 100 = 67.02%

However, considering my theory that the actual install base of Xbox during the generation of the Xbox 360 was only 74,080,000 and that it decreased during the generation of the Xbox One, it's highly unlikely that Microsoft will be able to increase it by a whopping 67.02%.
You posted the exact same analysis in the other thread.

Since you are crunching numbers, don't forget to factor in:

- # of PS system failures
- How many 360/PS3 systems were repaired (no effect to sales)
- How many 360/PS3 systems were repurchased, but they refunded a broken one at the same time (no effect to sales as a buy is +1 and a return is a -1)

TBiddy

I only saw one thread on that.

Apologies. The other was for Instagram likes. And one for unofficial colors. And one for memes. And one for confirming a jack. And an announcement thread. And the list goes on.

Point being - people create threads about the stuff they like. They don't necessarily need to be shills.

Reactions: CJY

Sosokrates

well, all threads are created in reaction to something, whether it's a thought or a response to a person or feeling.

What's the problem about this particular thread being created in reaction to you?

Well, his initial claim is not true, and this thread does not show it to be true.

Its just an odd thing to claim, that the 3 lights of death caused 45 million people to buy another new 360, so the 360 didnt really sell 90 million.

Im sure theres quite a few early on that might of done this but its no where near 45million.

Shin

Banned
whose astroturfing? With the amount of “Phil says” threads and concern trolling regarding the Ps5 from halo avatars I think it’s safe to say which company is astroturfing.
It's safe to assume you're conveniently ignoring the amount of PS5 threads that overwhelms "Phil says" threads being created by members for the sake of shilling/astroturfing.
The media asks him the dumbest things and like a fish he seems to bite which isn't surprising as it's his responsibility of sort, people posts what's said and it gets ridiculed by - guess who?

For the sake of this discussion or which is over 7 years late and have been discussed extensively when it did occur at the time from owners, haters, fanboys/girls, media and everything else.
What's the added value of discussing this after the fact and why is it relevant now all of a sudden? I can only guess but I'd rather have an honest answer which I likely won't get except people trying to justify their actions.

Not trying to start anything, but if you're going to spout such nonsense at the very least be informed which I know is hard for some people - to actually be interested in the news itself than giving one's opinion on things.

CJY

Banned
Well, his initial claim is not true, and this thread does not show it to be true.

Its just an odd thing to claim, that the 3 lights of death caused 45 million people to buy another new 360, so the 360 didnt really sell 90 million.

Im sure theres quite a few early on that might of done this but its no where near 45million.
I remember at the time there were a lot of claims of similar things. I know Peter Moore (I think) had to go into Ballmer's office to explain what was going on and he said it was going to cost $1.5billion to fix the issue. of course it's difficult to extrapolate exactly how many consoles this represents, but I doubt the repair/replacement of a single console would be more expensive than said console, but possibly not far off.

some quick math, ... 1.5b/$200 = 7.5m consoles.

red ring of death happened mostly with the original consoles, not with the S.

Warranty was also extended to 3 years.

OP said maybe 360 sold 10 million less than official figures right? my figure is that far off that. Where did you get 45million from?

I only skimmed the OP, forgive me.

Sosokrates

I remember at the time there were a lot of claims of similar things. I know Peter Moore (I think) had to go into Ballmer's office to explain what was going on and he said it was going to cost $1.5billion to fix the issue. of course it's difficult to extrapolate exactly how many consoles this represents, but I doubt the repair/replacement of a single console would be more expensive than said console, but possibly not far off.

some quick math, ... 1.5b/$200 = 7.5m consoles.

red ring of death happened mostly with the original consoles, not with the S.

Warranty was also extended to 3 years.

OP said maybe 360 sold 10 million less than official figures right? my figure is that far off that. Where did you get 45million from?

I only skimmed the OP, forgive me.

It was from the other thread the 45 mil claim.

Sosokrates

Ok, well then I'm just not following properly then.

In this thread his findings say 74 million is the actual 360 install base.

But its seems a odd thing to delve into, im sure you could do a similar thing with the PS3 but it all seems a bit console warish.

CJY

Banned
In this thread his findings say 74 million is the actual 360 install base.

But its seems a odd thing to delve into, im sure you could do a similar thing with the PS3 but it all seems a bit console warish.
Sure... I know what you're saying, but it was a very serious issue in the 360 gen.

Man, that generation was insane... if it wasn't for RROD, Xbox might have run away with it and hit 100m.

I watched this when it came out and remember it's fairly good...

Mystic is a PS fanboy, but his videogame docs are pretty good and well balanced.

Stuart360

Sigh, i'll just post my post from the other thread -

There is actually a big flaw in that argument, a really big flaw, and thats game sales. Fanboys always try to make out that 360 didnt really match PS3, and its 'real' sales were much lower, but if that was true then games sales, especially of multiplatform games, wouldnt of almost alwasy be higher on 360 than PS3. And game sales on 360 on multiplatform games was always higher than PS3.

CJY

Banned
Sigh, i'll just post my post from the other thread -

There is actually a big flaw in that argument, a really big flaw, and thats game sales. Fanboys always try to make out that 360 didnt really match PS3, and its 'real' sales were much lower, but if that was true then games sales, especially of multiplatform games, wouldnt of almost alwasy be higher on 360 than PS3. And game sales on 360 on multiplatform games was always higher than PS3.
Could that not simply be put down to 360 having a higher attach rate that gen and more dual-console owners buying multis on 360 because they performed better?

Lots of people I know only had a PS3 for FIFA, COD and Blu-Ray player. All the 360 owners I knew had tonnes of games and special collectors editions. It was crazy back then with Xbox brand fanaticism.

Stuart360

Could that not simply be put down to 360 having a higher attach rate that gen and more dual-console owners buying multis on 360 because they performed better?

Lots of people I know only had a PS3 for FIFA, COD and Blu-Ray player. All the 360 owners I knew had tonnes of games and special collectors editions. It was crazy back then with Xbox brand fanaticism.
But if 360 sales really were lower, like half as some people are suggresting, then no way would games sell more on 360 than PS3, even if 360 gamers were buying more games.
And thats also ignoring the fact that Microsoft themselves said numerous times last gen that replacement and refurbished consoles were NOT included in sales.

CJY

Banned
But if 360 sales really were lower, like half as some people are suggresting, then no way would games sell more on 360 than PS3, even if 360 gamers were buying more games.
And thats also ignoring the fact that Microsoft themselves said numerous times last gen that replacement and refurbished consoles were NOT included in sales.

Yeah, but didn't a ton of 360 owners have to rebuy their games because the disks got stuck in the dead machines and lots of the drives scratched the disks?

:messenger_winking:

Moses85

I have had 11 RODs.. it is/was a shame.
First ROD I have had at Launch Day!!
Planned 1 week off to enjoy PDZ and Kameo.
I was lucky and the EB-Games Store Boss gave me his Xbox 360, which worked for 3 month.. This console was a piece of shit, but the games it offered were superb!

martino

Didn't most of them got replaced by SAV ? I doubt SAV count as sales.
Do we have something less biased than internet forum ? it's hardly a proof to use a s reference internet where a community is dominant and where bad faith is common behavior.
Also can we prouve SAV replaced or repaired unit were count as sales ?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Should be asking how many were repairs for free of charge. It’s not like every Xbox that broke the owner didn’t take up Microsoft’s repair free of charge and just all went and bought new Xbox’s 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom