• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Mexican food became more American than apple pie

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

I thought this was common knowledge, what we know in the west as chinese or mexican food is neither chinese nor mexican, you just need to ask an actual mexican or chinese person. Theres no such thing as burritos in Mexico, over there is more about quesadillas, tortillas and tamales.

Taco Trucks are pretty dope. Especially the ones around here.

This. And as an added bonus, my local taco truck comes complete with Rambo:

jjzGe.jpg

eastmen

Banned
The majority of people have terrible taste (see: tv ratings, music charts, movie box office, etc), so while America has countless small ethnic restaurants with wonderful food because we are such a diverse country, once those foods are accepted by the unwashed mainstream masses, we will of course get chains with Americanized bastardizations that are shit.
Of course no one HAS to eat at those places, there are still plenty of delicious authentic Italian/Mexican/Chinese etc restaurants out there for those with good taste, if they know where to look. I wonder what the next trendy chain with crappy fake ethnic food will be, perhaps Thai or Indian...

Thai food has already been hit with the rendy chain , I see thai places in my local malls here in jersey .

Indian food is never going to take off.

Hero

He's not just saying the food is different. He's saying that the melding of a food to a culture shapes both cultures and is a sign of acceptance. He's saying that the hybridization of foods is analogous the melting pot of our broader culture. That people adapt cuisines they're familiar with and that familiarity is a sign of cultural acceptance and integration, an acknowledgement of a people integrated into the fabric of society in a fundamental way. In other words, it's a sign that a culture is not "foreign" it is US.

The California Burrito incidentally is a perfect example of this phenomenon he's celebrating.

Okay, sure, I understand that and I'm not disagreeing with him but still that happens all the time. Pizza? Hamburgers? Hot dogs? Subs?

wanders

Never took a liking to Mexican cuisine. Too spicy for my palate. I've also come to discover that they just can't do sweet baked/fried goods either. All the "pan dulce" I've ever sampled at the local mexican bakeries I've been to tend to be absolutely awful, other than the churro which is quite delicious.

Im Mexican and I love most Mexican food but I CANNOT stand Mexican bread, pastries, etc. Stale as hell cardboard that is thrown in sugar that does not taste sweet at all.

Dresden

Thai food has already been hit with the rendy chain , I see thai places in my local malls here in jersey .

Indian food is never going to take off.

I've seen indian express places... butter chicken, naan, all those go down well with americans.

Log4Girlz

I've seen indian express places... butter chicken, naan, all those go down well with americans.

I have yet to run into an indian place in Miami. Anyone know where I should go? I have found Naan bread at specialty stores and that packaged crap already tastes godly.

AMUSIX

I never really understand these rants...

if the food I'm eating tastes good, why should I give a fuck where it came from or how it evolved? If the chef in the kitchen decides to add olives to his Caesar Salad, should I bitch because that's not the way it's made in Tijuana?

The fact is, there is a lot of truly authentic Mexican food that is inferior to a modified version...hell, that goes for any cuisine. Of course, there are dishes that are near perfection in their 'pure' form as well.

Oh, and why hasn't this been posted yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYHHCRm-R-U

cajunator

Banned
I have to agree. Some of my favorite eating places are fusion food.
Its not 100% authentic, but in this hotbed of cuisine the food is probably better than many places anyway.

Now I want mexican food and apple strudel for dinner and the only mexican around worth going too is 45mins away. Thanks alot GAF :(

DBT85

The Indian place we go to is choc full of Indians on a Friday and Saturday night. No Tikka Masala for me!

Amazing food.

Guy Fieri has a restaurant where I live that combines barbecue and sushi.

Never been, but oddly curious.

Also, I dislike ALL fanboys, so I'm OK with fusion cooking, adapting ethnic foods to another group's palate, and fast food versions of ethnic food. It all tastes good and it means I get variety in my diet.

New England sucks for Mexican and Japanese food. Moving here from Los Angeles, it's been cuisine hell for me. Nothing but Dunkin Donuts and fried seafood around here. Ugh.

Guy Fieri has a restaurant where I live that combines barbecue and sushi.

Never been, but oddly curious.

Also, I dislike ALL fanboys, so I'm OK with fusion cooking, adapting ethnic foods to another group's palate, and fast food versions of ethnic food. It all tastes good and it means I get variety in my diet.

Do you live in Sacramento?

In a Tub is the most amazing fake, disgustingly delicious midwest taco chain

l.jpg

My MAN! Actually, do those exist besides the two locations in KC?

For everyone, In-a-Tub is crazy. It's as Americanized, off the highway burger stand kind of place as you can get, and their tacos really took over the place. I don't know how long they've existed, since the 60's or 70's probably.

Anyway, the tacos are full of this powdered cheese substance. Like, not far from mac n' cheese mix. Then deep fried, shell and all. It's insane, it sounds disgusting and it is, but it's also shockingly good. I've really always thought that if somebody put a little work into it, In a Tub could become a national guilty pleasure like White Castle or something. It's definitely a local favorite.

Here's a pretty apt review: http://greasyspooners.blogspot.com/2010/06/in-tub.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom