• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you tip at an all-you-can-eat buffet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Im pro-tipping, but this "tip x %" stuff never made a lick of sense to me. What does the cost of my meal have to do with anything? The waitress isnt working any harder whether I or a hamburger or filet mignon.

5 dollars. they don't even come pick up the plates or refill my drinks. they don't deserve money but a tip for them to be a better waitress.

Chris R

Last All You Can Eat place I went to was quite awhile ago, but the place was entirely self serve. No waiters taking plates away, nobody refilling drinks ect. There was a bussing tub set near the garbage cans and an open soda fountain in a different area of the place. As I did all of the work except of course, the cooking, no tip was left.

Can't wait for someone to tell me I was doing it wrong.

Always came into this with friends where we didn't know if we should tip or not at a buffet. Often in buffets you also don't get a single person who works your table but a lot of people so tipping seemed pointless.

Deadly

Oh dear a tipping thread this isn't going to end well :lol . Honestly though I always tip 15%. You also have to remember some restaurants lower the salary from the minimum wage since waiters make the majority of their cash from tips.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
I always thought a buffet type place you gave 10%.....which is probably around a dollar at most places........

Einbroch

Banned
If the waiter/waitress refills my drink within a minute of me putting it at the edge of the table, I usually tip a pretty good amount. If he/she is slow, they get nothing.

Ranger X

Jesus. Another "how to tip" thread. This should be like 1+1 = 2 so all of you guys:

"You get excellent service = you tip" Ain't that simple?

Tipping is an extra "thanks". I means you are particularly happy, you want to pay more than what's been charged to you because of X thing that made your experience more valuable to you.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
$2 @ buffet.

$2-5 for $15 meal @ restaurant if service is good. $1 if service is meh. $0.25 if service is shit.

Tips are included in the receipt if I get one at the end of the meal.

If I already paid at the beginning to enter and eat at the buffet (like you would at a Cicis or a chinese buffet or something), and then I'm serving myself too, no tip.

JTran2003

15%, sometimes more if its exceptional service, goes down in value if service generally sucks... but never below 10%... so i guess the same as any other restaurant. Even though they are not bringing food or taking an order, the refills and check-ups are important IMO. never know if you are gonna need sauce, extra napkins, etc...

Brofist

The Faceless Master said:
well, she was excellent, she was always there to ask if we wanted plates cleared, and was asking if we wanted a refill when our drinks hit 1/4, and it was packed since today is mother's day.

why? it's a pretty specific question, not a general consensus like some other threads with similar subjects.
I dunno, having dirty dishes cleared and drink refilled seems par for the course for me. If a waiter can't handle these tasks at a buffet restaurant no less than WTF am I at a restaurant for.

As for the OP question, I'd leave a minimal tip just out of courtesy.

J-Rod

Ranger X said:
Jesus. Another "how to tip" thread. This should be like 1+1 = 2 so all of you guys:

"You get excellent service = you tip" Ain't that simple?

Tipping is an extra "thanks". I means you are particularly happy, you want to pay more than what's been charged to you because of X thing that made your experience more valuable to you.
It's not really that simple because a lot servers are paid below minimum wage and legally so.

pahamrick

Regardless of what type of restaurant or buffet place I eat at, I always try to tip 20% of the cost of the total bill. If the service is horrible, that tends to get cut to 15% or 10%.

Personally, as long as the waiter / waitress keeps my drink refilled (and doesn't wait until I have to ask / wait 10 minutes for a refill) and doesn't let the plates pile up, I'll leave the full 20%.

-PXG-

For some reason, I seriously don't know why, I lol'd at the title of the thread.

I don't tip at all at buffets. I didn't know people actually did. One, I barely go them. Two, whenever I do, the wait staff don't actually do anything at all. Seriously, they don't do ANYTHING. Why should I tip someone who doesn't do anything? :lol

reaver18

I work at sweet tomatoes. most people leave me $1-5. I've had those incredibly nice people that have left me $20. but I hand out balloons to kids, coupons, get refills, prebus, clear the table, etc. and sometimes people will totally jip me. like today on mothers day, our busiest day of the year and people were stingy as fuck. last night, I maybe had 6 tables all night that didn't tip me. if you have a table of 6+ you should leave me 2 bucks simply for cleaning your dirty ass table up. always leave a dollar or your change at least, come on.

itxaka

Defeatist
Nobody tips me for doing my job ok, and I earn shit. So, no tips.

false. I tip only if I get a good service but not a lot. After all, waiters here earn more than enough for what they do

MIMIC

Banned
NEOPARADIGM said:
I beg to differ. Last buffet we went to the "waitress" actually made a point to bring up that she only made $2.85 an hour or whatever. Like, hint hint.

I told my gf she didn't deserve a tip because of that.

Didn't fly though.

I wish I wore the pants

I would have left her 4 cents.

CrankyJay

Banned
reaver18 said:
I work at sweet tomatoes. most people leave me $1-5. I've had those incredibly nice people that have left me $20. but I hand out balloons to kids, coupons, get refills, prebus, clear the table, etc. and sometimes people will totally jip me. like today on mothers day, our busiest day of the year and people were stingy as fuck. last night, I maybe had 6 tables all night that didn't tip me. if you have a table of 6+ you should leave me 2 bucks simply for cleaning your dirty ass table up. always leave a dollar or your change at least, come on.

Where is this located? I saw a Sweet Tomatoes in Naples FL tonight...visting my parents. Never seen that before. Is it a chain? What do they serve?

Big-E

I am glad that American style buffet's have not penetrated Vancouver yet. The only time I have ever been to a buffet was in Vegas and I left a few bucks to the person cleaning our table out but I saw some people tipping the cashier which made no sense to me as some people in my party did that and we weren't even staying at that hotel so there was really no point to tip.

Rorschach

I stand on top of the table and drop some bills from above the waitress. She has to snatch as many as she can out of the air, but the twist is that not all the bills are real! Whatever she snatches out of the air she keeps. The ones on the floor... she has to pick up and hand to me.

NGAMER9

Korey said:
How about the pizza delivery guy? Typically I start out with a couple of bucks, then take out whatever the "delivery fee" was and give him the remainder.
Dude, why give them anything? I already have to give them money as a delivery fee, that should be enough. Plus they're paid well anyway.

aparisi2274

The Faceless Master said:
i'm talking about a place like Logan's Roadhouse, where all the waiter does is carry you to the table, clear plates and refill drinks. it's a buffet, so you go and get all of your food yourself. i said it didn't really matter, and 15% is fine since it's not that expensive anyway, and my cousin agreed, but my aunt insisted that it was too much, since it wasn't a real full service restaurant. the waitress seemed incredibly surprised at her tip, so i suspect that my aunt was right...

When I eat at a buffet where the only requirements for the wait staff is to clear empty dishes and refill my drinks, I give $1 per drink refill.

CrankyJay said:
Where is this located? I saw a Sweet Tomatoes in Naples FL tonight...visting my parents. Never seen that before. Is it a chain? What do they serve?

It's basically a buffet. Personally I've been there and haven't tipped because I only had a guy come once over and take our dirty dishes away, while the whole thing is self serve.

if I have access to water and if water boy never fills up my cup that 0

if water boy fills up my water 3 - 4 times, than 1.50 ya go

I tip poorly if they poorly refill my cup of water

Same answer as always for me.

Nada waiter bitches!

I got in a group and let them take care of it if they feel guilty. Receipt nor rules say shit about having to pay a tip. I throw my share of the dough into the group pile on the table and smirk, take my napkin and swipe the final bit of grease off my face then head out while the other guys do a mental calculation. Don't got time for that shit.

Not trying to be mean to the guys just doing their job but I don't agree with tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom