• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much do you tip at an all-you-can-eat buffet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm talking about a place like Logan's Roadhouse, where all the waiter does is carry you to the table, clear plates and refill drinks. it's a buffet, so you go and get all of your food yourself. i said it didn't really matter, and 15% is fine since it's not that expensive anyway, and my cousin agreed, but my aunt insisted that it was too much, since it wasn't a real full service restaurant. the waitress seemed incredibly surprised at her tip, so i suspect that my aunt was right...

I worked at one many years ago and got tips 20% of the time, and usually a buck or two based on refilling drinks.

I don't tip at buffet restaurants unless I get different than expected service.

Salmonax

A few bucks, generally. Actually the only all-you-can-eat buffets I ever eat at are in Vegas, so I probably tip more than that just because it's Vegas.

elrechazao said:
I worked at one many years ago and got tips 20% of the time, and usually a buck or two based on refilling drinks.

I don't tip at buffet restaurants unless I get different than expected service.
well, she was excellent, she was always there to ask if we wanted plates cleared, and was asking if we wanted a refill when our drinks hit 1/4, and it was packed since today is mother's day.

Mama Robotnik said:
That short, three letter word guarantees us four pages at least.
why? it's a pretty specific question, not a general consensus like some other threads with similar subjects.

The Faceless Master said:
well, she was excellent, she was always there to ask if we wanted plates cleared, and was asking if we wanted a refill when our drinks hit 1/4, and it was packed since today is mother's day.
Well, I would definitely tip at that point, but in general would not.

Shanadeus

Banned
Don't tip anything, they can't screw up your food next time you at there as it's an buffet.
You have no reason to tip other than feeling good about yourself for helping an institution which lead to obesity.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
A few bucks, IF the waitress was good at refilling my soda. I am an asshole with that. I drink a lot while eating so it's a must.

I avoid those places these days. It is a really unhealthy concept unless you are young & active and thus have a reason to eat a lot.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Can I hijack this thread?

How much does everyone here tip for a meal at a typical restaurant. Let's say the meal cost $15

Korey

How about the pizza delivery guy? Typically I start out with a couple of bucks, then take out whatever the "delivery fee" was and give him the remainder.

Onemic

Dacvak said:

How much does everyone here tip for a meal at a typical restaurant. Let's say the meal cost $15

2-3, if they're amazing then 5

Same applies to a buffet, all depends on how much I spend, but I would never tip more than $5 individually. For the OP though I'd only give em a dollar or two at the most probably.

Darkman M

Some of you are some straight up bums :lol , unless the waiter is really shitty leave a damn tip even if it's only a buck or two.

Mikazuki

Army death height crane group location world
Like $10.

I get like 5/6 plates of food though. I figure if I tip them well they won't be pissed at me
. :lol

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
There are waiters at buffets?! I've never had one there before so I've never left a tip. The busboys taking my plate don't get anything because well they aren't actually doing me a service. If there were a place to toss my used plates I'd have no problem taking it there myself then grabbing a fresh one for more food....Again I'm just surprised there are actual waiters/waitresses at a buffet. :lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't tip at a buffet, are you seriously supposed to?

I tip 15% of the bill at full service restaurants unless the service was awesome or atrocious, and adjust accordingly.

Dacvak said:

I'll drop 4 or 5 dollars. Even if the service isn't a gift from god, i figure there job is rough enough having to deal with shitheads all day. if the service is awful, then i will tip accordingly, but that happens rarely enough to show much concern over it

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
$2 - $3. Not as much since you're getting up to get the food yourself etc. This is for 2 people so I'd say it comes out to about 10% for buffets.

$1 per person. Slightly more if service is amazing (always full drink, cleared playes immediately)

*More in vegas, Im talking about the $11 chinese buffet, not the $30 vegas buffet

No tip if you get your own drinks.

Edit: Also....logans is a buffet....?

Xyphie said:
You're not expected to tip here, so nothing.

I beg to differ. Last buffet we went to the "waitress" actually made a point to bring up that she only made $2.85 an hour or whatever. Like, hint hint.

I told my gf she didn't deserve a tip because of that.

Didn't fly though.

I wish I wore the pants

Ace 8095

If you feel the need to tip, I don't care if you do or not, the amount should be based off the service you received. Tipping based of a percentage of your total meal cost is irrational.

If you are at a restaurant, and you order a $100 glass of wine whereas your friend orders a $10 glass of wine, so you pay a $15 tip for your wine and he pays a $1.50 tip for his wine, are you going to whine about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom