• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF grenade: Do you tip at buffets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

I went to the first buffet in a long time. There was a guy refilling drinks and clearing plates. Some people were leaving tips and some weren't. I left one as my kid made a mess so I figure he deserved it. But still I figured since GAF tends to tip for everything under the sun, what's the actual etiquette here?

Dresden

I just leave a five there. I'd leave less if I went there by myself, but... who goes to a buffet by himself?

Clydefrog

ixh0ys.jpg

i only go to buffets in Vegas so I will usually leave them the leftover crumbled up dollar bills and change in my pocket from the night before.

Dresden

Clydefrog said:
You should wait until someone posts 'lol no you don't tip bro' and someone replies, in an angry tone, 'fuck you i work at a buffet.' It doesn't truly begin until then, imo.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've never been to a buffet where there were servers of any kind. You eat, go to the till at the front and pay, no real opportunity to tip.

Then again I've only been to 2 buffet's in my whole life and that was 2 too many.

cubanb

Banned
At buffets (which I havent been to in years) and mongolian bbq where you build your meal. I tip only a buck or two. That is if they refill your drinks. Otherwise, it's nothing.

Jayge

Leave like 3 or 4 bucks for the busboy or something, my friends and I would feel bad considering what the table looks like when we're done with it :lol

Dresden said:
You should wait until someone posts 'lol no you don't tip bro' and someone replies, in an angry tone, 'fuck you i work at a buffet.' It doesn't truly begin until then, imo.

That one thread where a guy who worked at Papa John's was complaining about how the delivery guys don't get any of the "delivery fee" charged so please tip him turned awesome when someone mentioned that he was a GAF Secret Santa deadbeat who didn't send his present that year. :lol

LQX

What the fuck is it with these tip threads? And who the hell tips at a buffet. The whole point is to serve yourself and if they do serve its a line of them so who the hell would you tip?

Tobor

Speaking of which, I put a dollar in the tip jar at the sub shop today. I made sure the guy saw me do it, Costanza-style. It felt good.

Ducks

I guess it depends. At every buffet I've ever eaten there were no servers to be seen. You just put your plates in a bin after you're done and go. If there was someone filling my drink and stuff, yeah I would tip.

Clydefrog

Dresden said:

:lol You're right. I'm such a junior. :( But really that gif was for "...another tipping thread??"

and in all seriousness, i would only tip if my party made a mess. if your table is super easy to clean up, i don't see a problem leaving $0 for tip. if there's some work to be done on your leftover filth, then at least leave a few bucks.

threenote

Banned
I do at a Korean BBQ place I go to. The guy periodically changes the grill and refills my drink. That deserves a tip in my book.

The last buffet I went to they served me drinks the whole time, so yeah, I tipped them. Not like at a regular restaurant, but they were tipped well.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Went to a Souper Salad today. Haven't been to a buffet of any form in years. If there is someone checking up on you or refilling your food/drink then I don't see the harm in leaving a tip.

I love buffets. People that eat a lot know what's up if you go to buffets regularly. You sit there for 2-3 hours and you fucking EAT.

Point being, I tip nicely if there is someone there refilling my water. The more they refill it, the more they get tipped. If they leave me a pitcher of water, they've hit jackpot and get a big tip.

Going to a buffet is an adventure, not to be attempted by puny mortals that limit their consumption of food.

Depends on what kind of service I get. One extreme example I can think of is this place where they take your order and give you a drink and then YOU have to get up and go to the bar to get a refill or anything that you need. The person who would get your tip basically fills your drink up with the spigot thing, they don't even bring your food.

I don't tip there.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Will go to a buffet on Sunday. This thread determines the outcome of whether I leave a tip or not.

Wads

Banned
Soka said:
I love buffets. People that eat a lot know what's up if you go to buffets regularly. You sit there for 2-3 hours and you fucking EAT.

Point being, I tip nicely if there is someone there refilling my water. The more they refill it, the more they get tipped. If they leave me a pitcher of water, they've hit jackpot and get a big tip.

Going to a buffet is an adventure, not to be attempted by puny mortals that limit their consumption of food.

2-3 hours?!?!? I can't imagine the amount of food you could eat in that timeframe... I tip at buffets in the rare occasion there is actually a server.

Big-E

Ninja Scooter said:
i only go to buffets in Vegas so I will usually leave them the leftover crumbled up dollar bills and change in my pocket from the night before.

This is what I do. I have seen people tip the cashier before they even eat at Vegas buffets and I thought that was ludicrous and I usually tip for everything.

The buffet I got to, I usually get the same lady servicing my table (taking dishes away, refilling water, handing out chopsticks and making sure everything is okay), so I tend to tip.

Plus, I roll with a bunch of animals who have no manners and tend to be idiots (eating fried chicken and mashed potatoes with chopsticks, soy sauce wars), and she doesn't say a word. Just cleans up and smiles. I figure it'd be rude not to tip.

p.s. I know my friend are assholes.

YagizY

No. I get my own food and plate. All the server does is put my dish in a bucket and refill my drink once (I usually don't drink that much). That's not a dollar or two's worth of work IMO.

[EDIT] Now that I think about it, I think I'm a 50/50 tipper at these kind of places. Sometimes I never get a refill and sometimes the servers just let the dishes pile next to me. Thats when I don't tip. All they ever did was bring me an initial drink.

Rahnter

Usually like $2 or 3. Most places I go you have to queue to make your order (i.e buffet, salad bar, or a menu item). And you have to carry the tray with drinks, plates, etc to your table. The waiter/ress only brings bread, refills drinks and clear plates.

AFreak

Banned
I'm a college kid anyway, so my tips are always bad. If it's a bar, 50 cents a drink. if it's a regular restaurant, 1 dollar for every ten on the bill. I do round up, so an $18 dollar bill gets the waitress $2 bucks.

Buffets it has been $1 dollar every visit, no exceptions. Well, once I gave someone a 3 dollar tip ,but they fucking deserved it man. Never had to ask for a drink refilled, cleared my plate right away, and even flirted a bit. Yeah, the golden egg for me is a $3 tip, and until I become a high roller, it isn't going to change a bit.

EDIT: Good thing about being in an Asian country. NO TIPS BABY!

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
if nobody is providing any service than no. If somebody is bringing drinks, bussing plates, attending to any needs, than yes.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Big-E said:
This is what I do. I have seen people tip the cashier before they even eat at Vegas buffets and I thought that was ludicrous and I usually tip for everything.
That's what you have to do if you actually want service. They leave something on your table that signals that you tipped.

DarK SouL

ronito said:
I went to the first buffet in a long time. There was a guy refilling drinks and clearing plates. Some people were leaving tips and some weren't. I left one as my kid made a mess so I figure he deserved it. But still I figured since GAF tends to tip for everything under the sun, what's the actual etiquette here?

No. They are getting paid so why should I give them my money?

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I usually tip, but only $1 at most.

$2 today because it was excellent service.

(on a $7 meal)

I tip more if actually served.

My rule is - if someone performs a service for you, then they should be tipped. If they don't perform a service for you directly, then a tip isn't necessary.

Im WTFing at the number of people in this thread that dont go to buffets.

WTF?

9.99 for all you can eat chinese + sushi + crabs = good eating.

As for tips, it depends.

Do they bring you drinks? Has your server cleared your old plates quickly? Do they bring you extra items (soy sauce, crab forks etc) Then yes. (1 or 2 dollars)

Is it self service drinks? Is plate speed average? Then no. UNLESS youve made an enormous mess, then yes.

AFreak

Banned
Ashy Larry said:
Last time I went to a buffet my friend payed for both meals but did not tip because he is cheap

When that happens, you tip. I mean you aren't even paying for the meal, so you can at least give them 2 bucks.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
EvaPlusMinus said:
Went to a Souper Salad today. Haven't been to a buffet of any form in years. If there is someone checking up on you or refilling your food/drink then I don't see the harm in leaving a tip.
This. The buffet itself matters. One with servers who fill drinks and clear plates should probably not be exempt from tipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom