• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF grenade: Do you tip at buffets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DarK SouL said:
No. They are getting paid so why should I give them my money?

Because generally, base pay is shit. It'll be less than minimum wage at most restaurants. The money they make in tips is supposed to make up for it.

DarK SouL

RapidCancel said:
Because generally, base pay is shit. It'll be less than minimum wage at most restaurants. The money they make in tips is supposed to make up for it.

As a customer thats not really my problem. If they get shit pay they should find a better job, not expect me to pay the difference, cause I wont.

DarK SouL said:
As a customer thats not really my problem. If they get shit pay they should find a better job, not expect me to pay the difference, cause I wont.

everybody's free to be a dick I guess. The bill is cheaper as a result of the restaurant paying less for labor. They let you decide how much your server should be paid for their work. I honestly wish this was the case in every customer service person I have ever interacted with

DarK SouL

ElectricBlue187 said:
everybody's free to be a dick I guess. The bill is cheaper as a result of the restaurant paying less for labor. They let you decide how much your server should be paid for their work. I honestly wish this was the case in every customer service person I have ever interacted with

No one is forcing the waiter/waitress to work under those conditions. If they allow that to happen why should the customer pay for it?

And its not being a dick, its being conscious with my money, something most Americans dont do.

Dresden

DarK SouL said:
No one is forcing the waiter/waitress to work under those conditions. If they allow that to happen why should the customer pay for it?

And its not being a dick, its being conscious with my money, something most Americans dont do.
And so it begins.

DarK SouL said:

I already answered that. It's something that's done in America, like driving on the correct side of the road.

DarK SouL said:

No, it's being a dick. You can't throw down a buck or two for someone who was there waiting and serving you the whole time you were there? It's common courtesy.

You can't just automatically assume that everyone can leave their shitty jobs and will be able to find a new and better one just like that.

DarK SouL

RapidCancel said:
No, it's being a dick. You can't throw down a buck or two for someone who was there waiting and serving you the whole time you were there? It's common courtesy.

You can call it what you want, its not really relevant, the reality of it is they they are getting paid to do that job, and expecting to get free money for doing something you are already getting paid for is plainly rude.

For me a tip is something you give when you receive a very exceptional service, and frankly, moving the food from the kitchen to my table and asking once if everything is "ok" does not qualify as "exceptional" service. Anyone can do that.

You can't just automatically assume that everyone can leave their shitty jobs and will be able to find a new and better one just like that.

This is America, theres always a choice. If they are too lazy to follow through, too bad.

DarK SouL said:
You can call it what you want, its not really relevant, the reality of it is they they are getting paid to do that job, and expecting to get free money for doing something you are already getting paid for is plainly rude.

For me a tip is something you give when you receive a very exceptional service, and frankly, moving the food from the kitchen to my table and asking once if everything is "ok" does not qualify as "exceptional" service. Anyone can do that.

This is America, theres always a choice. If they are too lazy to follow through, too bad.
:D

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
DarK SouL said:

If that's the case then minimum wage laws should apply to waiters without the exemption. Either that or you'll see a surcharge added to cover tips. I'd rather have some control over the service I get.

Also, I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones in society right now, so I feel I shouldn't be an asshole to someone trying to just get by.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
That one thread where a guy who worked at Papa John's was complaining about how the delivery guys don't get any of the "delivery fee" charged so please tip him turned awesome when someone mentioned that he was a GAF Secret Santa deadbeat who didn't send his present that year. :lol
:lol link?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Tons of people make minimum wage, without tips, doing shitter jobs than a waiter.

In the Fair Labor Standards Act... it says...

"2) Be able to show that the employee receives at least the minimum wage when direct wages and the tip credit allowance are combined."

So, from my understanding, tips they get for the night and the amount paid directly under minimum wage have to add up to minimum wage.

So, on a forum full of college students living tight on money, it's pretty much dumb to give a tip unless it's extremely excellent service and you frequent the location.

Tip money added up over a year and can either be used in my car tank or theirs.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
DeathNote said:
Tons of people make minimum wage, without tips, doing shitter jobs than a waiter.

"2) Be able to show that the employee receives at least the minimum wage when direct wages and the tip credit allowance are combined."

So, from my understanding, tips they get for the night and the amount paid directly under minimum wage have to add up to minimum wage.

So, on a forum full of college students living tight on money, it's pretty much dumb to give a tip unless it's excellent service and you frequent the location.

waiters on base compensation in North Carolina, get about $2.80/hr

Tips is to make up for that, though I think they're guaranteed min wage if they don't.

I'm not a college student anymore, so my circumstances is different. I always tried to tip some, unless the service was bad, in which case I tipped a penny so they knew I didn't forget to tip.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I never tip at buffets, but then i usually never tip at all. Unless i am eating at a restaurant and i am getting awesome service then i *might* leave a tip.

There is already a service fee included in the price, so i dont see why i should give them anymore money.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
arstal said:
waiters on base compensation in North Carolina, get about $2.80/hr

Tips is to make up for that, though I think they're guaranteed min wage if they don't.

I'm not a college student anymore, so my circumstances is different. I always tried to tip some, unless the service was bad, in which case I tipped a penny so they knew I didn't forget to tip.
As a struggling college student, i personally think it's dumb to tip someone guaranteed at least minimum wage.

After getting a degree, I'll help out struggling people via tips.

Rad-

Not currently. I'm a student and every coin counts. However if I get a good, stable job in the future, I'll tip good service.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Most of the buffets out here have servers for drinks. Usually i go with a $5 tip if i find myself dining at a buffet.

JGS

Banned
Yes, but I tip less than at a typical restaurant since the servers are nearly non-existent. However, they do refill my drinks, so that warrants the minimum 15% I guess.

Yes because the waitress/waiter still refills drinks and is constantly removing plates. One might argue that buffet waitress/waiters do more work than their counterparts at regular restaurants.

numble

DeathNote said:

So, on a forum full of college students living tight on money, it's pretty much dumb to give a tip unless it's extremely excellent service and you frequent the location.

Tip money added up over a year and can either be used in my car tank or theirs.
This is a law that is broken pretty often, with little to no enforcement. No waiter is going to quit or get fired to hire a lawyer and sue for the lost $20/night or whatever it may be. Heck, many places don't even pay the base wage and treat it as an independent contractor type of situation--I'll give you 10 tables to wait on, and you earn whatever tips you get, period. There's a gaffer in that situation.

And even in cases where the bosses do follow the law, they often see a waiter asking for the makeup compensation as a poor employee who should be fired because they can't even get to the minimum wage on tips.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Since logical and rational explanations for why it is appropriate to tip people seem to go in one ear and out the other in every single f'ing tipping thread on gaf, all I can say is...

You don't tip in a tipping culture like the US? You're a piece of shit.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Number 2 said:
Most of the buffets out here have servers for drinks. Usually i go with a $5 tip if i find myself dining at a buffet.
Can I be your waiter? That sounds like a bit much unless you're with a few more people.

Kozak

Banned
I'll never tip. I'm Australian.

They get paid to do this shit, I don't care if they get paid a shitty wage. If they don't like it, leave the job.

Dipper145

If there is someone taking your order at the start, or drink orders/refilling your drinks, or clearing your plates, you should leave a tip.

I have a feeling refilling my drinks and clearing off the 8 plates of food that I eat before I even get back to my chair when I go to get more food is more work than what someone at a normal restaurant would do.

I always wonder if I am supposed to tip at Golden Corral. When you sit down a person gives you a card with their name on it and then refills your drinks and takes away your used plates throughout the meal. I never tip when I go with my reasoning being that I don't even find the person necessary. They could leave the few plates we use there until we leave and I am already getting up to get my own food, it's not much of a stretch to be able to refill my own drink like you can at plenty of other restaurants. Just seems like a pointless position and not worth tipping in my opinion. I have never been able to tell if other people tip, plus they make you pay before you eat and I hardly ever carry cash.

DarK SouL

ElectricBlue187 said:
I already answered that. It's something that's done in America, like driving on the correct side of the road.

Not by everyone cause I, and many other people dont do it. And the "correct" side of the road varies by country.

arstal said:
If that's the case then minimum wage laws should apply to waiters without the exemption. Either that or you'll see a surcharge added to cover tips. I'd rather have some control over the service I get.

I answered that already. Is not my problem that they choose poor working conditions.

Also, I feel like I'm one of the lucky ones in society right now, so I feel I shouldn't be an asshole to someone trying to just get by.

Why is someone not tipping an asshole? He is already supporting the restaurant by eating there, in my view they are the ones that should be gracious.

If you like to throw your money away good for you, but not condemn those of us that have better fiscal policies on how we manage our money, specially the way the economy is.

Kozak

Banned
Dipper145 said:
If there is someone taking your order at the start, or drink orders/refilling your drinks, or clearing your plates, you should leave a tip.

I have a feeling refilling my drinks and clearing off the 8 plates of food that I eat before I even get back to my chair when I go to get more food is more work than what someone at a normal restaurant would do.

Why?

When mechanics fix a car nobody takes into consideration that their car might be more fucked than normal but they'll still pay the normal price.

When Evilore (or was it WasabiKing?) upgrades the servers on GAF nobody takes into consideration that it could have cost him hundreds. Where his tip?

Kozak said:
Why?

When mechanics fix a car nobody takes into consideration that their car might be more fucked than normal but they'll still pay the normal price.

When Evilore (or was it WasabiKing?) upgrades the servers on GAF nobody takes into consideration that it could have cost him hundreds. Where his tip?

oh i offered Evilore a tip...just the tip. He wouldn't take it.

as for mechanics, you pay by the hour for labor in addition to the costs for parts and stuff, so a more fucked up car is probably going to take more time, which equals more money for them (which is already like $40 an hour for crying out loud)

DarK SouL said:

I completely stand by you in all of this, you hit the nail on the head. If somebody fucks up my order, "forgets" to bring me back a refill, I'll drop a dollar or 2 from what tip I would've gave him/her. Most of the people I've talked to at restaurants have 2 jobs, and waiting tables was their 2nd.

At Dave and Buster's in NYC last year, I could tell that just because my party was over 6, and the 20% tip was automatically added to our bill we were going to get bad service. Well, we did. I was so against paying it.

AMMEERRIIIIKKAAAAAAHHHHHH, FUCK NO!

Never tip reguardless, buffet is no different, just easier to get away with it without taking shit from some high almighties. Usually greasy christians preaching shit to me about a tip while their life crumbles apart.

If they don't say I have to tip in the rulebook when I go in, then I don't have to and I don't want to.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm not cheap, I just behave in a way that the vast majority of people in America would define as being cheap. I also have a tremendous sense of entitlement and am rude to people I consider to be inferior to me.

If they don't like the way I treat them, they should become millionaire surgeons and retire to Jupiter Island, FL.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The rule is 10% instead of the standard 15% min.

The 10% can be higher if the staff has to refill my drinks.

TBH I try to stay away from buffets, too many people breathing, coughing and sneezing all over my food. It's not like those small glass canopies don't allow for germs to get on the food.

Sure, I'll leave a couple dollars on the table.

Employers in restaurants give their salaries with the understanding that their employees will be tipped by the customers. It would be a dick move to screw over the employee because I refuse to acquiesce to common cultural understandings. If you can't afford the couple dollars as a tip then you really shouldn't be eating out at all.

Ducks

Does it not bother the US non-tippers that people exact vengeance on your food?

I have a few friends who say tampering is the great equalizer :lol

I think tipping should be phased out, but it's not yet. I tip because I'd want to be tipped in that situation

Salmonax

hulkamania-owns-you said:
Never tip reguardless, buffet is no different, just easier to get away with it without taking shit from some high almighties. Usually greasy christians preaching shit to me about a tip while their life crumbles apart.

If they don't say I have to tip in the rulebook when I go in, then I don't have to and I don't want to.
I am curious about this greasy Christian rulebook of which you speak.

Shanadeus

Banned
Ducks said:

I think tipping should be phased out, but it's not yet. I tip because I'd want to be tipped in that situation
If they are smart, they probably never buy food from the same place twice from the same location. And if the time a delivery person is employed is short enough, then they can probably order from that place after a certain amount of time has passed.

Ducks said:

People who tamper with others food should lose their job and be fined a huge sum of money. They're the lowest of the low.

cwmartin

DarK SouL said:
Not by everyone cause I, and many other people dont do it. And the "correct" side of the road varies by country.

I answered that already. Is not my problem that they choose poor working conditions.

Why is someone not tipping an asshole? He is already supporting the restaurant by eating there, in my view they are the ones that should be gracious.

If you like to throw your money away good for you, but not condemn those of us that have better fiscal policies on how we manage our money, specially the way the economy is.

I feel bad for you if your entire philosophy of fiscal responsibility is based on not tipping people who SERVE you. :lol:

come on people, tip the people who wait on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom