• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF grenade: Do you tip at buffets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks

Wickerbasket said:
People who tamper with others food should lose their job and be fined a huge sum of money. They're the lowest of the low.
I agree. Every time a friend tells me about that I feel bad for the person but it's fruitless.

I actually talked to a friend about this once, and he told me he witnessed someone intentionally bleeding into someone's food, from a cut on their hand.

There's no way I'd consider not tipping after hearing that :lol

Big-E

SapientWolf said:
That's what you have to do if you actually want service. They leave something on your table that signals that you tipped.

I tip the person serving us and cleaning up after us but to tip like 20% before anything has ever happened and to a cashier no less is a bit weird for me.

Ducks said:
I agree. Every time a friend tells me about that I feel bad for the person but it's fruitless.

I actually talked to a friend about this once, and he told me he witnessed someone intentionally bleeding into someone's food, from a cut on their hand.

There's no way I'd consider not tipping after hearing that :lol
It's ok, whenever I tip someone I always make sure to put the money between my ass before giving it to them. It helps to even out the karma.

I don't really do this, it'd be childish.

DarK SouL

cwmartin said:
I feel bad for you if your entire philosophy of fiscal responsibility is based on not tipping people who SERVE you. :lol:

come on people, tip the people who wait on you.

Thats no my entire fiscal policy, its part of it. I eat out a lot and giving $5 or more each time tends to add a LOT.

And I am not saying that I dont tip, I tip, but only if I feel the person deserves it, and only what I feel like tipping, not some arbitrary percent. I work hard for my money so they should work as hard to get it from me.

Ducks

silverbullet1080 said:
People that fuck with someones food because of a low or non-existent tip deserve to lose their fucking job.
Absolutely. When you combine immature teenagers (or otherwise) with some form of power, however undeserved or false, bad things happen. Sometimes peoples food gets tampered with just for ordering something annoying, or other trivial crap.

Still, as a meek fellow the idea is enough to keep me polite and tipping generously :p

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Tipping. Some people do it. And if you don't, well....some people are just jerks.

jerks-1.gif

Kozak said:
I'll never tip. I'm Australian.

They get paid to do this shit, I don't care if they get paid a shitty wage. If they don't like it, leave the job.

I hope you're not actually this ignorant.

DarK SouL said:
Thats no my entire fiscal policy, its part of it. I eat out a lot and giving $5 or more each time tends to add a LOT.

And I am not saying that I dont tip, I tip, but only if I feel the person deserves it, and only what I feel like tipping, not some arbitrary percent. I work hard for my money so they should work as hard to get it from me.

You're such an egotistical freak I could barely hold down my breakfast while reading through this thread. I never knew you were so intellectually superior that you could peer inside someones soul and see why the service was like this, or like this, and on this day; and judge whether they're worthy for your lousy $5 while you sit and stuff your face. Oh, $5 isn't lousy, I forgot it "adds up" -- well, in that case, stop eating out all the time if you can't even grace the table with your $3 tip to someone who makes next to nothing, as well as them dealing with assholes who walk in expecting to be treated like a king at Ponderosa. Who the fuck are you, again?

Right! You're that hard working guy, like... everyone is. You deserve such service, since you work hard somewhere... else, for... whatever reason, so that means you can dictate how they work, at their job now. And for how long, and hard. Despite the fact that it might not have anything to do with the service they gave at your table.

Oh, that's right. They should just leave and not work at such a shitty place, right? Lol, excuse me for forgetting that it's easy to quit a job and jump around until you find someplace that's just wonderful to work at. I guess everyone who works at a restaurant should do that! Oh wait.

And let's not forget that at a lot of places, the tips are shared. Your lousy $3 doesn't go as far now, does it?

Shanadeus

Banned
Devil Theory said:
I hope you're not actually this ignorant.

You're such an egotistical freak I could barely hold down my breakfast while reading through this thread. I never knew you were so intellectually superior that you could peer inside someones soul and see why the service was like this, or like this, and on this day; and judge whether they're worthy for your lousy $5 while you sit and stuff your face. Oh, $5 isn't lousy, I forgot it "adds up" -- well, in that case, stop eating out all the time if you can't even grace the table with your $3 tip to someone who makes next to nothing, as well as them dealing with assholes who walk in expecting to be treated like a king at Ponderosa. Who the fuck are you, again?

Right! You're that hard working guy, like... everyone is. You deserve such service, since you work hard somewhere... else, for... whatever reason, so that means you can dictate how they work, at their job now. And for how long, and hard. Despite the fact that it might not have anything to do with the service they gave at your table.

Oh, that's right. They should just leave and not work at such a shitty place, right? Lol, excuse me for forgetting that it's easy to quit a job and jump around until you find someplace that's just wonderful to work at. I guess everyone who works at a restaurant should do that! Oh wait.

And let's not forget that at a lot of places, the tips are shared. Your lousy $3 doesn't go as far now, does it?

Calm down a bit, if the restaurant doesn't make the tips mandatory then he can do precisely that - judging for himself whether or not he wanna reward the service with a tip.
All a server can do is put pressure on the restaurant owners to change into reasonable mandatory tips, or show their displeasure with the bad tipper and hopefully guilt him into tipping more.
I prefer a system where tips simply doesn't exist, and servers and delivery men get a minimum wage from the very beginning, none of that "tip expecting wage" crap.

DarK SouL said:
You can call it what you want, its not really relevant, the reality of it is they they are getting paid to do that job, and expecting to get free money for doing something you are already getting paid for is plainly rude.

For me a tip is something you give when you receive a very exceptional service, and frankly, moving the food from the kitchen to my table and asking once if everything is "ok" does not qualify as "exceptional" service. Anyone can do that.

No, it's actually pretty pain rude that you don't tip someone for doing that job.

This is America, theres always a choice. If they are too lazy to follow through, too bad.

I hope you seriously don't think it's that fucking easy.

Samara

We always leave the tips under the glass. Who cares who gets it Waitress/Busboy. Or if we pay by Mastercard, leave the tip in there.

Hex

Banned
I tip because they are taking my plates away and filling my drinks.
I also tip the guy at the grill.

Samara

Fumetsu said:
I tip because they are taking my plates away and filling my drinks.
I also tip the guy at the grill.

How do you tip the guy at the grill? He's hands are gonna get dirty!

I can't see myself stretching out to give them money. It would be unfair to the "fillers" and the Sushi chef.

Hex

Banned
Samara said:
How do you tip the guy at the grill? He's hands are gonna get dirty!

I can't see myself stretching out to give them money. It would be unfair to the "fillers" and the Sushi chef.

I mean the guy at the Mongolian grill type thing at the chinese buffet.
Just a dollar or two, but he is cool and knows what I like now every time I go in.
He is also the guy that makes the sushi and always makes sure that there is unagi the way I like it too.

We don't tip here in Australia because people actually get decent wages for what they are doing.

That being said, I have tipped when the meal was acceptionaly good but rarely.

Dresden

I can understand where Australians are coming from, but in you're in the states for the visit, you should tip... that's where these people make their living, their wages are trash to reflect what they should get from the tips.

Cubsfan23

Banned
tip the busers a couple of bucks

stop with the whole "its not my problem they make less than minimum wage".......if restaurants had to give competitive wages to servers your food would go up even higher. Now STFU about it, you can't change society

My problem is that I tip too much. I never know how much is too much. Once I also tried to tip a woman at a buffet and she just gave me it back. :lol

And *searches thread for Reservoir Dogs reference*, yes, excellent!

Well I'm not sure if it was brought up, but at the end of the shift, the tips the waiters/waitresses get, they need to share it with the bus boys at some places.

JGS

Banned
digita1alchemy said:
I always wonder if I am supposed to tip at Golden Corral. When you sit down a person gives you a card with their name on it and then refills your drinks and takes away your used plates throughout the meal. I never tip when I go with my reasoning being that I don't even find the person necessary. They could leave the few plates we use there until we leave and I am already getting up to get my own food, it's not much of a stretch to be able to refill my own drink like you can at plenty of other restaurants. Just seems like a pointless position and not worth tipping in my opinion. I have never been able to tell if other people tip, plus they make you pay before you eat and I hardly ever carry cash.

Well, sure you CAN do all of this, but do you?

You could say this about any restaurant you go to.:lol

Golden Corral is the closest thing to having restaurant service at a buffet

GhaleonEB

If there's someone clearing the table as we go, sure I'll leave a couple bucks. I assume they're on a more normal pay schedule than the full-time waiters, so I scale the tip to the service they're providing.

oneHeero

cwmartin said:
I feel bad for you if your entire philosophy of fiscal responsibility is based on not tipping people who SERVE you. :lol:

come on people, tip the people who wait on you.

Why doesnt this work with any type of service?

oneHeero

JGS said:
Well, sure you CAN do all of this, but do you?

You could say this about any restaurant you go to.:lol

Golden Corral is the closest thing to having restaurant service at a buffet
I'd do this at any restaurant to be honest. Only reason I eat out is to eat better food made by someone who can cook better than me. I'd be fine with getting my plate and drink. I didnt bitch throughout 12 yrs of school, why should I now?

EDIT: Sorry bout the double post :(

AFreak

Banned
Cubsfan23 said:
tip the busers a couple of bucks

stop with the whole "its not my problem they make less than minimum wage".......if restaurants had to give competitive wages to servers your food would go up even higher. Now STFU about it, you can't change society

See, this is the problem though. If we didn't have to tip, and the prices went higher, then it would more than likely equal out for everyone.

I mean if the tip is expected then just add the fucking thing in so everyone has to pay it, that way the nontippers have to pay, and the tippers can just shut the fuck up about tipping people.

way more

silverbullet1080 said:
People that fuck with someones food because of a low or non-existent tip deserve to lose their fucking job.

If they just fuck with the people who don't tip I don't see a problem with it.

Hatredcopter

Neo Member
I was recently at a Chinese buffet and I didn't leave a tip, even though I considered it. I actually felt a little guilty once I left, but nobody served me anything so there really wasn't any reason to leave a tip. It kinda made me think of something that would be a topic of discussion on Seinfeld.

Kozak

Banned
mac said:
If they just fuck with the people who don't tip I don't see a problem with it.

What?

They should do their fucking job properly. I don't give a shit if the pay is shit, quit and get a better job. If waiters/service are really like this they are the scum of the earth and deserve to be in their shitty situation..

way more

Kozak said:
What?

They should do their fucking job properly. I don't give a shit if the pay is shit, quit and get a better job. If waiters/service are really like this they are the scum of the earth and deserve to be in their shitty situation..

If they do their job properly and don't get fairly compensated then your food is their toilet paper as far as I'm concerned.

07_11poster-21_solidarity-handshake.gif

Fuck with Kozak's food my food service brethren.

AFreak

Banned
^it isn't good to fuck with anyone's food. EVER.

My friend who worked at a Dairy Queen once felt he was allowed to spit into people's food just because they came in at 9:55 five minutes before they closed. He rationalized it by saying, "Well we all wanted to go home so it was ok."

I fucking worked at Books-A-Million(like Barnes and Noble) for 2 years and I closed later than he ever did. the thing is, if you don't like the way it's done then go somewhere else. If you don't want to clean up after 10:05 then don't get a job at a place that makes you stay open til ten, otherwise quit your bitching. BTW, I tip, and people that spit or tamper with other's food, should be fired on the spot. There's their tip.

way more

AFreak said:
My friend who worked at a Dairy Queen once felt he was allowed to spit into people's food just because they came in at 9:55 five minutes before they closed. He rationalized it by saying, "Well we all wanted to go home so it was ok."

Even at nice places if you order your food five minutes before the restaurant closes you will get worse quality than if you order at a proper time. The food will be rushed, cooked early and generally made with spite and vitriol. (This rant is directed at everyone.)

Don't like it? Then don't go 15 minutes before they close. Also, want good service? Then don't go during rush hour. Just because you paid the minimum for your food you don't get to act like the king of food.

Gross fast food story for those that don't know how gross food can be:

My friend's brother fingered a girl in the freezer of an Arby's and then wiped his finger on someone's mozzarella sticks because he didn't like the guy.
True story.

Moral: Don't go anywhere and order food if someone that works there either A) dislikes you or B) you didn't tip in the past.

EDIT: My bad.

AFreak

Banned
mac said:
Even at nice places if you order your food five minutes before the restaurant closes you will get worse quality than if you order at a proper time. The food will be rushed, cooked early and generally made with spite and vitriol. (This rant is directed at everyone.)

Don't like it? Then don't go 15 minutes before they close. Also, want good service? Then don't go during rush hour. Just because you paid the minimum for your food you don't get to act like the king of food.

That is some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Like any service, you are the one working there. If you think you deserve a tip, then don't rush the service or the food. Otherwise I do not have to give one.

I hope you are never a surgeon.

"Fuck, I was supposed to be off in 5 minutes but now these damn ER patients keep whining about bullet holes."

"Screw it man, I'm just gonna do a quick run through on this guy and call it a day."

If you don't want to provide the service you are PAID to provide, then get the fuck out.

AFreak said:
^it isn't good to fuck with anyone's food. EVER.

So because his employers were too stupid to put up a sign saying "Last orders by 9.00", he (and other people it would seem) thinks it's acceptable to spit in peoples food? What a fucking tit.

Magnus

Where are these buffets where you don't have a server? Sounds like fast food.

Who brings your drinks to the table, gets you extra things you need, and clears your dishes afterward, if not a server?

way more

AFreak said:
That is some of the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Like any service, you are the one working there. If you think you deserve a tip, then don't rush the service or the food. Otherwise I do not have to give one.

I hope you are never a surgeon.

"Fuck, I was supposed to be off in 5 minutes but now these damn ER patients keep whining about bullet holes."

"Screw it man, I'm just gonna do a quick run through on this guy and call it a day."

If you don't want to provide the service you are PAID to provide, then get the fuck out.

If I show up 20 minutes late for my appointment with the doctor they cancel the appointment and make me schedule a new one. If I showed up a hour late for surgery I'm sure they would also reschedule.

I don't bitch about that because as a customer you are also expected to behave in a certain manner.

AFreak

Banned
Magnus said:
Where are these buffets where you don't have a server? Sounds like fast food.

Who brings your drinks to the table, gets you extra things you need, and clears your dishes afterward, if not a server?

You do it man. You get your own shit.

Find a CiCi's Pizza buffet somewhere and go there. You'll learn.

You pay, they give you a cup. by the cups are the forks and knives. Dig in.

So because his employers were too stupid to put up a sign saying "Last orders by 9.00", he (and other people it would seem) thinks it's acceptable to spit in peoples food? What a fucking tit.

Yeah man, fucking disgusting. I've even worked at a food joint too (was the griller for a drive-in movie theater). we served all the fast food stables and not once did i see someone spit into someone elses food, and I would never dream of it.

Why would you do to someone else what you don't want done to you?

his answer to the above was, "Well you don't know what it's like to want to go home after you close."

Fucking idiot man, I know what it's like to want to go home after I've grilled for 7 hours straight and then have to clean up once I'm done, that doesn't mean you do that kind of shit.

AFreak

Banned
mac said:
If I show up 20 minutes late for my appointment with the doctor they cancel the appointment and make me schedule a new one. If I showed up a hour late for surgery I'm sure they would also reschedule.

I don't bitch about that because as a customer you are also expected to behave in a certain manner.

YES, and showing up before closing time IS ON TIME!

If you want to kick someone out at 10:00 then by all means, go ahead. but 9:55 and you close at 10 is on time. So as a paying customer that has followed the rules, I expect to get the same level of service as someone else at 9:45. If you can't provide tha level of service, then you do not deserve a tip or my business,

way more

AFreak said:
YES, and showing up before closing time IS ON TIME!

If you want to kick someone out at 10:00 then by all means, go ahead. but 9:55 and you close at 10 is on time. So as a paying customer that has followed the rules, I expect to get the same level of service as someone else at 9:45. If you can't provide tha level of service, then you do not deserve a tip or my business,

Then I guess no place is deserving of your business. People, if you show up 5 minutes before the restaurant closes you will get worse food. Instead of bemoaning how the world doesn't meet your standards just leave 30 minutes earlier.

AFreak said:
Yeah man, fucking disgusting. I've even worked at a food joint too (was the griller for a drive-in movie theater). we served all the fast food stables and not once did i see someone spit into someone elses food, and I would never dream of it.

Why would you do to someone else what you don't want done to you?

his answer to the above was, "Well you don't know what it's like to want to go home after you close."

Fucking idiot man, I know what it's like to want to go home after I've grilled for 7 hours straight and then have to clean up once I'm done, that doesn't mean you do that kind of shit.

I agree, but it's too bad more of the world doesn't think that way. Humans just aren't that nice, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom