• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF grenade: Do you tip at buffets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFreak

Banned
mac said:
Then I guess no place is deserving of your business. People, if you show up 5 minutes before the restaurant closes you will get worse food. Instead of bemoaning how the world doesn't meet your standards just leave 30 minutes earlier.

Sometimes you can't. Sometimes, you have just gotten out of class at 9:45 and are hungry and the place right across the street is OPEN TILL 10!

Maybe instead of thinking you are allowed to not do your job, you should actually do it and quit fucking whining.

EDIT: Also, no there are PLENTY of restaurants and shops I go to because they do their best to provide good service to me. In fact, one of my favorite places in Birmingham, AL called Fat Sam's (It's a deli, makes some of the best damn sandwiches and philly cheesesteaks I've ever had so far) even allowed me to order after 10. It was after class one night and I got there at 10:10. The door was still unlocked and I walked in. He recognized me and said, sorry man, I just turned the grill off, but if you want a cold sandwich I'll be happy to make it for you.

I wanted something hot, but you know what I did, I ordered from him because of the dedication he has for his business and his exemplary customer service. He isn't lazy good for nothing so I gave him my money instead of going down the street or driving to the nearest 24 hour joint.

Oli

Clydefrog said:
ixh0ys.jpg

:lol I'm seriously going out of my mind, based off of how funny I found this. :lol :lol

mac said:
Then I guess no place is deserving of your business. People, if you show up 5 minutes before the restaurant closes you will get worse food. Instead of bemoaning how the world doesn't meet your standards just leave 30 minutes earlier.

Or restaurants could just have a big sign outside saying "Sorry, no orders after [insert time here]. It's not hard.

DarK SouL

Devil Theory said:
You're such an egotistical freak I could barely hold down my breakfast while reading through this thread. I never knew you were so intellectually superior that you could peer inside someones soul and see why the service was like this, or like this, and on this day; and judge whether they're worthy for your lousy $5 while you sit and stuff your face. Oh, $5 isn't lousy, I forgot it "adds up" -- well, in that case, stop eating out all the time if you can't even grace the table with your $3 tip to someone who makes next to nothing, as well as them dealing with assholes who walk in expecting to be treated like a king at Ponderosa. Who the fuck are you, again?

Right! You're that hard working guy, like... everyone is. You deserve such service, since you work hard somewhere... else, for... whatever reason, so that means you can dictate how they work, at their job now. And for how long, and hard. Despite the fact that it might not have anything to do with the service they gave at your table.

Oh, that's right. They should just leave and not work at such a shitty place, right? Lol, excuse me for forgetting that it's easy to quit a job and jump around until you find someplace that's just wonderful to work at. I guess everyone who works at a restaurant should do that! Oh wait.

And let's not forget that at a lot of places, the tips are shared. Your lousy $3 doesn't go as far now, does it?

Wow! So much hate! You are acting like I killed your kitten or something like that. And like I said a few times already, none of that shit your crying about its my problem.

RapidCancel said:
No, it's actually pretty pain rude that you don't tip someone for doing that job.

Thats your opinion, mine is different.

RapidCancel said:
I hope you seriously don't think it's that fucking easy.

Yes I do believe that. And no, its not easy but its not impossible either.

way more

DarK SouL said:
Thats your opinion, mine is different.

Opinions about social actions and manners are funny things. As a society we set a standard for human behavior that we abide by to show we are proper people and were raised correctly. One may have the opinon that smelling of feces in public is fine but the rest of society will find your transgressions rude and piggish.

So tipping is not merely an opinion like a political affiliation but more a display of proper breeding.

AFreak

Banned
mac said:
Opinions about social actions and manners are funny things. As a society we set a standard for human behavior that we abide by to show we are proper people and were raised correctly. One may have the opinon that smelling of feces in public is fine but the rest of society will find your transgressions rude and piggish.

So tipping is not merely an opinion like a political affiliation but more a display of proper breeding.

Not tampering with food would fall under that also.

Concept17

I currently get paid 7.15/hr as a waiter. On weekends I walk out with over 100$ a night in tips, sometimes over 200$. If someone tips lower than 15%, I assume something went wrong/they're jerks/they don't know how to tip.

I've never had someone completely stiff me. Though its happened to many I work with.

Also, in the many years I've worked in food, I've never once seen anyone actually 'tamper' with someones food. And many of the mistakes made by servers are not always the server's fault. Majority of the time your bartender, expo, cooks, etc... will fall behind, or someone's food needed to be upcooked etc. Shit happens every night.

The shittiest thing when serving tables however is the nice people that leave shit tips. You'll be someone's bitch for an hour and a half, do a thousand things for them, they'll be nice as hell, laugh, joke, etc...and then leave you 10% or less on a large bill.

As for buffets...gross. I've only been to a couple that weren't repulsive. And I'll always tip the waiter something.

Concept17 said:
I currently get paid 7.15/hr as a waiter.

Damn, I wish the place where I work was that nice. I also work in a tip position and all I get on the hour is $3.75, granted I'm doing roomservice which is more like delivering pizza and 20% gratuity is automatically added to every bill, but even the waiters in the restaurant of the hotel only make around $5/hr

AFreak

Banned
Concept17 said:
I currently get paid 7.15/hr as a waiter. On weekends I walk out with over 100$ a night in tips, sometimes over 200$. If someone tips lower than 15%, I assume something went wrong/they're jerks/they don't know how to tip.

I've never had someone completely stiff me. Though its happened to many I work with.

Also, in the many years I've worked in food, I've never once seen anyone actually 'tamper' with someones food. And many of the mistakes made by servers are not always the server's fault. Majority of the time your bartender, expo, cooks, etc... will fall behind, or someone's food needed to be upcooked etc. Shit happens every night.

The shittiest thing when serving tables however is the nice people that leave shit tips. You'll be someone's bitch for an hour and a half, do a thousand things for them, they'll be nice as hell, laugh, joke, etc...and then leave you 10% or less on a large bill.

As for buffets...gross. I've only been to a couple that weren't repulsive. And I'll always tip the waiter something.

Yeah, I probably wouldn't tip you. I only got 7.25 at the places I worked at sans tips. We also probably didn't do less work than each other either. I'd get about 226 every two weeks.

DarK SouL

mac said:

That would be ok for someone that cares of what some random person thinks about him, which for me is completely irrelevant.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I live in the buffet capital of the world. I always tip at buffets unless it's a self-serve one (i.e., you have to get up to get your own drinks, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom