• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much does KotOR pick up?

I picked up KotOR for $25 and have been playing pretty consistently this week. I just got onto Dantooine and I was wondering how much the game picks up? I am still really intrigued, but it isn't quite Baldur's Gate II level yet. Am I still in for some holy crap this is good stuff moments?

Slo

There are dry parts (like Manaan), but it took me a while to really get into the game. I'm *this* close to beating it, and the coolest part of the game just happened. Whether it's worth another 20 hours of your time is really up to you, but I'm glad I kept going. I'm playing darkside, BTW.

Bottomline: If you're not having fun, STOP.

Norse

I really didnt care for the first portion of the game, but once I got to dantooine I really liked it...finished as darkside of course.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The dungeons never really get that interesting or varied, same goes for most every combat situation...a real letdown. Though a few interesting diversions peek out of hiding now and again in certain dungeons(Sith tombs were kinda neat for example), for the most part you will find yourself abusing the same strategies in very redundant settings for the quest as a whole.

Each world does have a few interesting quests to take on though, I particularly 'enjoyed' the legal trial on Manaan, a very interesting predicament for your party to solve. The game never lets down with the amount of conversation trees you endure, many ARE interesting, and I found it tends to drag the game down. (Mostly because of how bland much of the rest of the game can occasionally feel) Anachronox sort of suffered similarly(weak combat drags down the rest of the game, though the exporation/puzzle solving spanked Kotor in that one)

Anywho, Kotor doesn't really get 'better' or 'worse' I'd argue, the plot takes a few twists now and again, but in the realm of play no dramatic changes occur. A merely 'good' game.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
You used the same battle tactics before dantooine as after?

/me confused as to why you would do that

I do agree that the combat really acts just as filler for the game, the story is why you play to the end, but its the same with virtually all RPGs these days, i personally found KOTORs battle system a hell of a lot more engaging than Baldurs Gate due to the added visual element of actually seeing combat take place (rather than just you slashing then them slashing), and Infinately more engaging than any Jap RPG ive ever played.

There were lots of tactics available, unfortunatly the game didnt really force you to use many of them and once you have a 3 jedi party the combat side of things gets pretty easy, even if that does make the adventure side of the dungeons more complex.

To answer the original question, the game after Dantooine is an entirely different animal, though what you get out of it is up to you, to get the best you have to interact with all your team members and find their motivations, the story is the real meat of the game and you wont really get the most out of it until a couple of hours before the end, so id recommend playing all the way through.

Top Bottom