• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much of your school knowledge have you forgotten?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
All the helping verbs are permanently burned into my brain in the form of an insidious song.

Is, am, are, was, were, be, being, been, have, has, had, do, does, did, shall, will, should, would, may, might, must, can, could. Thanks 2nd grade. Really useful.

Mistake

I know lots of history, but I am terrible at specific dates. For math, I retained a lot of basics, but forgot formulas and such. If I refreshed on all of it, I wouldn't have much trouble since it's all in the back of my brain somewhere

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I got raised by Wolfs.

All wisdom they passed on are the very core from which operate from.

Sans the killing. I've compartmentalized those very well.

Confused Wolf GIF

Last edited:

Most but if you need it the fact you have done it before makes it easier. We can't all remember everything which is redundant day to day.

Plus lots of what you are taught in school is either severly cut down just to give a taste of it or more often than we care to admit - wrong, that for it to be of any practical use you need a few years studying the subject or working in the field anyway.

School is a filter to push people into professions / further education where you start the subject again.

willothedog

BIDMAS/BODMAS has served me well in life :messenger_beaming: as for none science subjects (history, geography) bloody hopeless.

Last edited:
I've lost all of it.

The only things I've retained are critical thinking skills, reading comprehension, public speech and writing. The current knowledge I have is relegated to my career, personal interests and whatever's necessary to get by in the day-to-day world.

ssringo

I remember my ABCs, times tables through 12, ROYGBIV, pretty good at spelling, a handful of French and Spanish words, a surprising amount of the Periodic table.

Mostly baseline stuff.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Main things I lament forgetting is basically all forms of maths and my knowledge of Spanish, which I used to be borderline conversational in.

Danknugz

assembly, LISP, and high level calculus involved with quantum information / bell states etc

just about anything outside of comp sci which I was forced to take for general education requirements (psych, shakespeare, classics, etc)

School taught me how to play by a system's rules, even if you think it's BS, because it's easier to get by and will reward good little sheep like that

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I plow through things like doing math, listening to science pods (ted), you know the combination of gym stretching, home economics, I’m glad I went through high school.

Spaceman292

Banned
I've forgotten everything I ever learned, with the exception of the recorder. I've lost count of the times that a quick toot of Three Blind Mice has gotten me out of bad situations.

wOYp1rT.jpg
I was having a rough job interview last week, but then I whipped out one of these bad boys and hit them with some Saints Go Marching In. Now I'm on 97K and drive a company Mercedes.

Last edited:

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I remember doing the bare minimum effort in my high school physics and chemistry classes because I knew even back then that I would never need that knowledge in the future.

tamago84

I remember the cafeteria food more than the subjects in class. Square pepperoni pizza, pear halves in plastic containers, choco milk, steak fingers and ice cream scooped mash potatoes, fried okra, tacquitos with that cheese sauce…list goes on..

mopspear

I've taught ESL for five years and started teaching game development this year. I hate teachers and I hate school. It's not a waste of time but what we were taught and the way we were taught was so bad and a waste of time. When I have kids, I am never sending them to public school, ever. I'm still mad I had to learn electron orbitals.

Puscifer

School taught me how to play by a system's rules, even if you think it's BS, because it's easier to get by and will reward good little sheep like that
Hate how true this is but honestly in a professional environment it *literally* pays to fall in line. No one says you can't throw money at strippers after work but when you're there fake it till you make it!

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'd say I've forgotten a lot of it, because the vast majority was specific.

Even from classes I enjoyed the most like History.

Dark Star

my math skills are .... kind of pathetic. I can probably get a decent score on the SAT or some standard test if I took it now, but there is no way in hell I'd be able to pass a Calc exam haha

what I remember well:

biology, chemistry/physics concepts, and general science knowledge
history, arts, music
books i read in english classes

Last edited:

MastAndo

I really enjoyed Art History in high school, practically minored in it in college so a bunch of that stuck with me. I think I still have a decent grasp of math (well, anything before Calculus which I've forgotten). and some physics. I'll occasionally drop something related to it in conversation to fool people into thinking I'm intelligent.

I majored in Comp Sci in college though and that was gone from my brain as soon as I graduated and got a help desk job. I couldn't code my way out of a paper bag right now.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Nothing much. I remember things that happened vividly from over 30-years ago.

Although I'd prefer to forget my first 2-years of college. Had to change my career after my mentor professor was killed. It's hard to forget those who left an impact.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Most of it I dont remember. I remember some stuff in general where some things will always be familiar like joules and mols etc... but in no way would I be able to do formulas or anything. I just remember terminology.

I'd say the only thing that sticks in my head as content, it relates to real life, and even my job is anything related to business and accounting. I'm not an accountant, but the general theories about assets, liabilities, understanding an income statement etc.... all hold true 100% to real life. It's of course a lot more complex with real data, but the foundation is spot on. You dont even have to have a finance job to care. If you need to understand financial docs for investing, high school content is still solid content to build on.

Math courses are most pointless. There hasn't been anything remotely related to all the fancy stuff you learn in high school. Just knowing the basics of multiplication, %'s and stuff like that is good enough.

I dont even know what kind of jobs would even utilize stuff like quadratic equations, calculus etc... You got to have a really complex math, science or engineering job to utilize that stuff I assume.

For university, a lot of business courses have decent real life foundational theories, but looking back its so black and white. Most of it wont relate to real office life since in school you dont get thrown curveballs which involves solving it using non-academic strategies. However, one of the best courses I do remember was my Retail course. The prof taught us stuff like how to calculate profit margins and how and where to stock products to maximize sales and exposure etc... You can surely google it now too, but I remember him telling us why grocery store layouts are the way they are where they get you to move from one section to another. Its the kind of stuff if you really thought about it yourself on the sofa for hours it all makes sense. But as a student, you need a prof to teach you this.

One of best profs said something like this about marketing. I still kind of remember it... "at the end of the day, marketing is just about using common sense to drive interest and sales"

Last edited:
Forgot how to read music notes and play the clarinet. That's about it.

For real though. I learned more from YouTube than I did by hitting books in school to be honest. Fuck a library.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I dont even know what kind of jobs would even utilize stuff like quadratic equations, calculus etc... You got to have a really complex math, science or engineering job to utilize that stuff I assume.
Commonplace in science, engineering, computer science, data science, but not so much outside of those fields.

Let’s say you have a drone with onboard sensors that you’re programming to fly itself using machine learning. You’ll have linear algebra matrices to store and process the sensor data in, triangulation and vectors for positioning in 3d space, calculus for gradient descent algorithms for computer vision.

Plenty of math to be comfortable with!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you who have never worked a business job, it doesn't matter if you never took a business class or anything. But everyone probably has a basic concept of trying maximize sales setting a good price, a good product, good supply and availablity etc.... All those kinds of core basics make sense. In school, business classes and economics classes will usually have a solution they skew you to write which is maximizing sales at some kind of XY axis of units x price etc....

But what they never do is thrown in issues that will totally fuck up any kind of textbook example.

You can have best set of core basics trying to storm the marketplace raking in milllions. But no academic class will do is have a real life example like what if a big competitor spend some money to pay for shelf space, eye level shelf space, give annual escalator deals (Walmart sells more they get paid more bonus cash which every Buyer will aim to hit).... and it's all wrapped up in a two year locked and loaded contract between the retailer and competing supplier.

Then what? All that magic math gets thrown out the window.

Companies will always do contractual terms and bundle deals locking out others. Wonder why that shitty product which you suspect nobody buys is still there? Well, Nestle might have done a giant overarching deal that involves keeping products on shelf in return for a payout. That's how business works. Not all products kept by stores are based on true sales/profit kind of analysis at an item level.

Sometimes blanket deals will solve the financial targets at the end with a big cheque. lol

Having kids go through primary school revealed what a dumbass I had become. If you don't use it, you indeed lose it. Now honours high school math for my son has me literally relearning to teach and assist at home with him. At least it has a trickle down effect where I've now relearnt enough to assist my daughter a couple of years younger too.

Also I remember end of year school break up parties, I'm chalking that up as school knowledge.

Top Bottom