• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Nintendo Directs Represent a New Direction and Improvment of Gaming Journalism

GG-Duo

Huh, that's interesting. While journalists are becoming developers as a part of their career progression, developers are increasingly breaking their own news. The line keeps blurring.

It's forcing the hand of journalism. They are no longer waiting for payouts through eager PR. How is this issue so hard to comprehend?

Can you give a concrete, direct example of how it's forcing the hand of journalism and not some anecdotical fact derived from some flawed logic?

CrisKre

I like Nintendo Direct, but come on dudes, it's a HYPE MACHINE for the publisher, it's not some voice of truth amongst lying/corrupt game journalists. It's Nintendo's way of being all "hey, look at dem awesome games we have", when many of those games aren't anything special. I'd rather take impressions from game journalists than watch Iwata being fake-impressed with every game on Nintendo Direct. It's not game journalism and neither does it replace anything. It's no different than publishers having press releases on their websites and putting trailers to Youtube.

I don't see how this "improves" anything. Nintendo has more interest in lying/hyping up shit than any gaming site ever will.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Nintendo direct, and even more so iwata asks, present much more informative content than mere hype machines as you put it or infomercials, as ive seen people describe them here. They do choose how to show the content, but it's pretty straight forward and often encourage viewers and readers opinions on what is said/shown. They rarely cross the line from informing/announcing to imposing an opinion.

Go watch the latest ND. Seems more like a dialogue/response to fans requests than a blantant commercial.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Can you give a concrete, direct example of how it's forcing the hand of journalism and not some anecdotical fact derived from some flawed logic?

The fact that I grew up reading gaming magazines that stretched from the U.S. and UK and the biggest news of the day was whether "Secret of Mana 2" was going to be released in English or not.

But eh, maybe it won't force the hand of journalism.

jonno394

With Nintendo Directs we are consuming the information directly, rather than the ground up and minced opinion pieces that mainstream gaming news outlets present.

Neogaf and ND are my only sources of gaming news now.

freddy

Banned
You Nintendo people know Microsoft and Sony have had weekly podcasts about their systems as well as written blogs for years? And they both produce video segments? And various publishers produce YouTube shows to advertise their games? Nintendo Direct really isn't all that novel a concept.

Why would you edit out 'You guys' and put "You Nintendo people'? Strange.

CrisKre

Also, having started gaming with the NES, this new venues nintendo found to connect with its user is a lot more important than many people seem to give it credit for.

For a long time people had no idea of how exactly a company like nintendo worked. Iwata broke that wall between the company and its users in a pretty spectacular way. The company positioned itself with much more transparency in the perception of the gaming community. We know the philosophies and faces of the people that make the games. We almost feel like a part of the process. The loyalty and involvement of the users that derives from this is something I intuit will be greatly valuable for Nintendo in the future.

Any customer with a nintendo system can access this information with practically no need to specifically search for it from their systems too.

zoukka

ND's are company hype and PR. That said they are well done and don't treat the viewer as such a big idiot as the usual PR material from big game companies. Nintendo clearly has engaged in a dialogue with the consumers, however light it may be.

It's refreshing for sure and doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out like gaming journalism in general does.

I don't visit any gaming related websites outside neogaf. And never will.

Dr Dogg

It seams to me this has been way over anaylised the past few days. If you take the time to think about and look back over the years you could just say it's Nintendo now catching up with social media and how their audience consume new information and media about their products. Outside of the rabid hard core Nintendo fan how many do you think visit gaming sites, listen to podcasts or read magazines to keep them selves informed? Where as they know they either own one of their devices so they have an entry point to them right there. Comparing the size of something like YouTube to the gaming press as a whole is apples to oranges and that's another avenue for them.

As was discussed in another thread this won't too much affect on actual journalism as this has been the case for a good few years now but seeing as most of the revenue that games related media generates is from advertising, mainly paid for by said platform holders and publishers. They are more interested in awareness and promotion of their products in a good light than some expose, opinion piece or other such drivel they pass off as journalism. I do wonder if they can sustain or generate a higher rate of interest in their products, either through things like Nintendo Direct, Major Nelson's and the PlayStation blog, that they will forgo advertising in gaming media. What would happen then if they are stripped of their valuable access and main source of revenue?

CrisKre

It isn't and that's kinda my point... This is not "improving game journalism" because Nintendo Direct itself isn't journalism, it's marketing.

You are simplifying the nature of things tremendously. For example, during ND, Iwata adresses concerns and apologyzes for shorycomings. Its more than marketing bud. Its feedback and a form of dialigue, and it adds teansparency between Nintendo and its consumers.

Famassu

It's forcing the hand of journalism. They are no longer waiting for payouts through eager PR. How is this issue so hard to comprehend?
And we are, in turn, getting eager PR straight from the source. Don't see how that's an improvement when the gaming journalists still have to report everything based on that.

TrutaS

I would love to see producers do this and be totally open about what they are doing, but no other media does that, why games? I couldn't care less about an Activison Direct because I know that would be blatant PR from people who are not there for the games. Nintendo is a good-guy company, one we mostly trust and that is why ND is so well received. Similarly, a Valve Direct would also get hype through the roof, as would Blizzard (I think they still got - bit of trust) and other developers.

I like the fact that reporters aren't getting exclusivity. 2 years ago I went to a Gamescom only to find out I couldn't watch any conference, play any unannounced games or anything that I thought a convention would allow me to see. It was endless hours of waiting to see things i could click on the internet and watch in an instant. On the other side of the walls (if you had a reporter badge) was the real thing, reporters were posting great news of amazing announcements that were happening on the convention and I thought to myself how ridiculous that was. There was nothing new for the thousands of conaisseur gamers attending the thing. Games industry should acknowledge (and ND is a good step towards that goal) that there are a lot of gamers that actually know a lot about the industry and want to get the news first-hand, and not just more casual costumers who prefer things to be presented by journalists ( which is fine If I'm more casual about it, nothing wrong in that, but at least I want to have that choice).

Subaru

I like Nintendo Direct because I know that Iwata is trying to sell me those games, so I can judge the information using this as a starting point. When I read an article @ ign, I don't know if they're being sponsored or if the "journalist" is just a fanboy praising the brand he loves/criticizing the company he hates.

Also, it's good to see the CEO talking to ME. I know that is a PR strategy, but it feels good anyway. And I can see the news without any judgment and make my interpretation without any filter. Ok, I like to see people opinion, but I also like to know the facts before.

So, when I see the NEWS, I wanna purely the facts. When I read a review, I wanna see their opinion. I think this is not entirely clear in the game media, because we often see reviews that seems more like a PR stateman than a Nintendo Direct and some news that makes more assumptions than told us the real story.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Thanks for daily audible groan induced by the internet that my girlfriend has to respond "whats the matter?" to from the other room.

Aren't Nintendo just copying Apple's PR model of cutting out the middle man? i.e. the media.

Only instead of doing it via a slick press conference at some large venue, they film it from their incredibly drab offices with people who can barely speak English. (Specifically griping about the EU ones with that last part.)

evolution

This is just too much. Nintendo directs are nothing special. These events only allow Nintendo to frame their messaging exactly how they want to, nothing more. Some diehards are making them out to be revolutionary, yet they've changed nothing. Is it better for nintendo? Yes, but that's not saying much.

They should start a blog like Sony, at least then people could actually have a chance of receiving feedback directly from developrs. For now its just PR

Cipherr

You Nintendo people know Microsoft and Sony have had weekly podcasts about their systems as well as written blogs for years? And they both produce video segments? And various publishers produce YouTube shows to advertise their games? Nintendo Direct really isn't all that novel a concept.

I dont care who created the concept. I don't think anyone is trying to crown Nintendo for 'discovering' this new concept. Forget about the credit. This is a great idea no matter which one of them is doing it.

I hope all 3 start doing this. For those people calling this PR, I dont see the difference between this and the PR they shove out at a conference that is then filtered through Gawker and into my news feed.

Its the same thing, without the filter. Then we take it to the message boards (here) and discuss it.

Nintendo direct is an infomercial, nothing more. That's not journalism.

Neither is the shit 90% of gaming outlets put up half the time... So whats your point? That we should respect the Dew drinking, PSP licking, Dorito popes that ballroom dance with their copy of Skyrim?

How about no.... Just give me the info, and hold the nonsense.

This is just too much. Nintendo directs are nothing special. These events only allow Nintendo to frame their messaging exactly how they want to, nothing more. Some diehards are making them out to be revolutionary, yet they've changed.

Yeah, this is going to be impossible to discuss, way to many of you cannot get over the idea of Nintendo possibly being credited for something here. So the conversation about the fact that ALL of the console manufacturers should do more of this, disintegrates before it starts as you all stand in a circle crying about who did it first and who deserves the 'attaboy'.

If it helps, the PS Blog and other things are just like this, and they are GREAT, we should have more of it.

R1CHO

How Nintendo Directs Represent a New Direction and Improvment of Gaming Journalism

Marketing it's not Journalism.

And yes, 90% of gaming media coverage is neither journalism, but that is another problem.

ND are mini E3s...which is awesome.

Especially from a company that holds everything so tight to the chest.

This board will turn into gamefaqs soon won't it...

"nintendo people"?

wat.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
And we are, in turn, getting eager PR straight from the source. Don't see how that's an improvement when the gaming journalists still have to report everything based on that.

Where are the hard-hitting questions that journalists should be asking in interviews and articles? If Nintendo or whoever won't answer them, then it is time to make the gaming websites relevant to the point where their reputation creates sway over who buys what - not solely judged upon what advertising space they allow or what score credentials they deem them fit. Unfortunately there are no hard questions asked against Nintendo because the company treats them like a sideshow.

What better time to create a new avenue of journalism than now when publishers begin to awaken to the streaming data of hype? They will slowly ignore the fact that they need some form of "outreach" in order to hit their database numbers and begin to do it solely through social networking videos. Look at the hype created by Nintendo Direct announcements alone - could Sony and Microsoft replicate the same success? You'd be a poor man to answer no.

Ultimately gaming journalists need to create a new relevance to the fact that publishers should be questioned and scrutinized. Interviews should be readily accepted, behind-the-scenes moments should be embraced. Fuck the dinosaur methods of pleasing the media entertainment in order to get the "exclusive" goods - it should never be written within a journalists job to sell the product.

It's going to be a hard-fought battle to be seen as respected within this beautiful bridging field of entertainment and technology, but papers like The Economist haven't been around since the mid-1800s for nothing.

Not every site is like this and that's no excuse.

"Every big site is just copy & past of PR so let's just skip the big sites completely" is the worst fucking idea ever. Let's shut down all the press and hear the news directly from the government then.
Sadly, the press that you're referring to is a corrupt mouthpiece and PR echo chamber for the most part. It's mostly an enthusiast industry leeching off another, which is fine and has definetly a place, but it doesn't and never will begin to satisfy a journalistic coverage of the medium and culture itself.

Rare exceptions like RPS or the occasional researched feature or interview are little more than band aids applied to a publishing model that simply isn't capable of offering a complete journalistic approach to the medium.

As for the OP, I think your argument has one fatal flaw, deriving from your definition of Press/Journalism. I would agree, that a direct advertisement format like Nintendo Direct or Sonys sadly defunct Heaven show, are making enthusiast press obsolete. There's no doubt about that.

However, being infomercials first and foremost, they can't by definition replace journalistic coverage.

I would say that in light of recent events, the enthusiast press has been challenged to either transform or become irrelevant to the point of being independent PR contractors.
The gauntlet has been thrown, it's now that publications would do well to look at their way forward. PR channels can be replaced, a journalistic platform with integrity would offer a much needed critical democratization and dissection of PR information.
Hopefully we'll get to that point eventually.

xandaca

Iwata is just so awkward on camera.

That's what I love about him. He's so uncool and just looks delighted to be there, despite being an absolutely hopeless host (his slip-ups are fabulous, whether mispronunciations or occasionally saying the same syllable twice when getting excited) by any traditional measure. It's all very square and Nintendo, which is what makes it work. Some JJ Allard type trying to convince everyone how rad the latest XBox game is would just be grating and tedious.

shink

I think with Nintendo Direct you get everything in one hit, while PS Blog you'll get news/announcements that is more evenly spread out.

For those wanting Nintendo news, these Directs are great since it's much better than before.

iwata-asks.jpg
>> Gaming Journalism

Laguna

Banned
I remember that in the good old 128bit era the editor of a magazine called GamePro (germany) literally complained in his editorials that Nintendo doesn´t buy ad-space.

I remember that in the good old 128bit era the editor of a magazine called GamePro (germany) literally complained in his editorials that Nintendo doesn´t buy ad-space.
ah Gamepro, the turd that was. That magazine was a desater of epic proportions. Nintendo buying ad-space in a magazine that did nothing but belittle and make fun of them. What a shock.

While I really enjoy the Nintendo Directs, they are not journalism. Journalism is taking the bare information about an event and attempting to frame it accurately within a greater context.

Also, PR and journalism are not mutually exclusive. It really could be that a peddling piece is the truest depiction of the situation (as unlikely as that could be.)

So, in essence, every arm chair blog, neogaf post and professional publication piece is more true to the spirit of journalism than Nintendo Direct.

So ND is space world or their conference in the fall. Forgot the name.

It doesn't really change anything. The same media sites that regurgitated whatever Nintendo press releases said now just criticize the video.
Sure, however that cannot be avoided and I'm not sure if it should be. Nintendo Directs can complement the already existing cycle of how the news is fed. Yes, it'll still be carefully pre-chewed by Nintendo, but that's one filter less that will have interpreted the information for us. A good portion of gamers will be able to process their presented information themselves before they'll read the rest of the media's interpretation. The media will still be able to sway to whichever side they wanted to, call companies out on their mistakes and do all their features. Nothing is lost, we only gain. It's not exactly the most novel idea, but it's a pretty good one.

I would also like to give props to the OP who clearly spent his time and effort into fleshing it out properly and then engaged in the discussion. It is threads like this that drew me to NeoGAF in the first place.

troushers

Another angle to consider is that Nintendo aren't constricted by the audiences the gaming media serve. If they want to send messages to the wider public, not just regular readers of gaming websites, this is a good way to do it.

Do you think someone who bought Wii Fit 3 years ago is a regular visitor to GameTrailers? They might happen to see this Nintendo Direct or a mention of it on Twitter.

A lot of gaming media has underscored its irrelevance to Nintendo's new market, especially the major US based sites. They have completely ignored substantial Wii software releases on the basis of personal taste, and made no effort to expand their audience outside the gaming ghetto.

Nintendo seem quite proactive at recognising problems and devising novel solutions to them.

That said, I feel the Direct aren't overall a positive trend. There is a lot to be said for the ability of a press to ask questions and challenge reps and this entirely bypasses that.

Kurdel

Banned
Wow, some people are really going nuts with this,

There is no difference between this Nontendo Direct and an E3 press conference or an Apple press conference. This whole "bypassing the presss so we don't need them" is nothing new, seeing we have been having acces to live feeds of press conferences for a while now.

Also, comparing articles that take a broader look at a corporations strategy to slow news day "elite head gone" is ridiculous, and unessassary.

Thinking Nintendo invented anything by presenting something directly to the fans rather than having to rely 100% on media is not only short sighted, but frankly embarassing.

It is also clearly a PR tactic from a company with a hardcode dedicated fanbase that needs to feel special. The pleas and promises from Iwata that things will get better, and letting the "true fans" take a peek for themselves behind the curtain, will help them feel part of a club of priviledged owners that are being directly spoken to. And clearly, it seems super effective considering the response here on gaf.

Great OP.

I think Nintendo Direct and Iwata Asks are both brilliant ideas. It feels as though many of the mainstream websites have had a bit of an agenda regarding Nintendo for a while - not for any sinister reasons, but mostly because the majority of their readers are COD playing "dudebros" (I hate that term) and they are appealing to that demographic. Any Nintendo news these sites report is generally slanted in such a way as to appeal to their readership.

Cutting out the middle man, giving direct announcements to the consumer, is a great idea in this situation.

BowieZ

Banned
Great OP.

Shame many people are missing the point (whether they agree with it or not).

Nobody is claiming Nintendo Directs are JOURNALISM (not that they're anything like "infomercials" anyway since Iwata presents everything in such a factual manner without any actual praise or hyping, eg: there is a marked difference between a hypnosis-inducing Apple conference ("and it's amazing! you're really going to love it.") and Iwata's meek delivery "Fans may like this, and this, etc. How did you like it?")... but rather that Nintendo Direct is one less step away from the consumer.

Nintendo still chooses to frame certain games in certain ways, placing emphasis on some, and providing fewer details about others, but can you imagine them doing that and THEN a gaming site reviewing that information, cutting it up and rewording it to fit onto their site and in the framework of their opinions. The original material, whether originally biased or not, is now doubly biased, and usually distorted.

And this is different from a Press Release, because, well, how many people actually thoroughly read Press Releases? lol - I guarantee most of you get your Press Release information from either GAFfer opinions or gaming site writers.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I can agree to a certain extent. The same thing could be said about Sony this gen, they dropped the ball, and when they went to pick it up the media just kept kicking them.

I dont think we need an improvement of journalism, because that wont ever happen. I mean they did the exact same thing with the Wii and nintendo was praised. We just have to trust our instincts and start seriously blacklisting these fuckers who are sabotaging our hobbies for clicks. It is seriously becoming way too top heavy in this industry, and it's become extremely unhealthy.

Larsen B

Really enjoyed that OP.

I hadn't considered that four opinion pieces appeared after the Nintendo Direct, two with a positive take and two with a negative spin based on the same information does show a direction games writing could be heading. Should they just become reactive critical sources, the diference between "games writer" and someone who posts on a message board with an opinion will becomes even less defined.

The Side Note about the Polygon article not fitting the conventional discourse for GAF and being rejected was absolutely spot on.

pixlexic

Banned
Yes I think everyone should do a nintendo direct. I just want straight information without personal opinion. If I want to guage reactions from fanboys I will read a forum.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I will say that between these Nintendo Directs, Iwata Asks and, y'know, the running of one of the biggest videogames companies of all time, I have a serious amount of respect for Iwata. I don't know how the poor bloke isn't a haggard mess of bones and bags under the eyes by this point.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Wow, some people are really going nuts with this,

There is no difference between this Nontendo Direct and an E3 press conference or an Apple press conference. This whole "bypassing the presss so we don't need them" is nothing new, seeing we have been having acces to live feeds of press conferences for a while now.

Also, comparing articles that take a broader look at a corporations strategy to slow news day "elite head gone" is ridiculous, and unessassary.

Thinking Nintendo invented anything by presenting something directly to the fans rather than having to rely 100% on media is not only short sighted, but frankly embarassing.

It is also clearly a PR tactic from a company with a hardcode dedicated fanbase that needs to feel special. The pleas and promises from Iwata that things will get better, and letting the "true fans" take a peek for themselves behind the curtain, will help them feel part of a club of priviledged owners that are being directly spoken to. And clearly, it seems super effective considering the response here on gaf.

I seriously think you are missing the point of the discussion a little here.

Great post. I just wanted to say that Nintendo Direct is important to me, as a Nintendo fan, as well as a gamer in general. I think Nintendo is ahead of the curve on this one, where Microsoft and Sony still rely on E3 for their biggest reveals, Nintendo is giving us a glimpse into new product much more often. It keeps the hype train rolling, way longer than a simple E3 Press Conference would. That being said, I still enjoy watching E3 Prss Conferences every year, but they're not for us gamers. They're for shareholders, they're for gaming press, and other members of the industry. Nintendo Directs make me feel like I'm the most important audience for Nintendo, as a gamer and as a customer. I don't feel that way with MS and Sony at this point.

In the end, Microsoft needs to get rid of Major Nelson, find someone younger, or with more credibility within the company, and address the Xbox community when they reveal Durango. Sony should surely do the same with the Orbis.

Cipherr

Sony should surely do the same with the Orbis.

Thinking of this, didn't Sony have a 'Sony Game Day' or something like that early last gen for the PS3? I recall them having something of their own to promote games, but I think they just invited journalists to play stuff. Can't quite recall what they showed or when it was though.

But still, more stuff like that. Maybe record some footage and put it online. Or just continue with the Vita Heaven Event style releases. I really like this Vita Heaven/PSBlog/NDirect style.

royalan

this, it's the kind've thing i loved about gaming mags in the day too.

gonna exit stage left, too many people clearly not reading the OP/responding to "UGH ANOTHER ND THREAD" from the title instead, really does wonders for discussion around here

I honestly think it's just a lot of people disagreeing with the premise of the thread, as stated in the title. ND "representing a new direction and improvement of Gaming Journalism." Frankly, I do believe that idea is a little silly. Maybe ND represents a new direction for Nintendo, but let's not pretend that they're pioneering transparency in gaming. The concept has been around for a while now.

I mean, when was the last time anyone had to rely on gaming journalism to get their gaming news? Most companies release blog posts, press releases and youtube videos. Most major companies make their E3 presentations available direct online - and this is all the same basic premise as ND: PR for the company. You're never going to get an objective opinion on the games. You're going to get information the company wants you to know presented in the way they want you to see it. If you want dissection, analysis, and discussion, and context of said information, you're going to have to go to "game journalism" and enthusiast sites like GAF.

That's...kind of how it has been for years now. Welcome to the party, Nintendo.

Top Bottom