• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How often are you wearing headphones?

BossLackey

Gold Member
I don't want to say it's a problem necessarily, but I'm wearing headphones/IEMs/earbuds for a very large percentage of the day. Working from home? Wired headphones. At the office? IEMs. Taking the dog out? BT earbuds. Cleaning? BT headphones.

It suppose it's indicative of my need for constant stimulation, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Catphish

Only when playing certain games or when I need the attached mic. For work, speakerphone. For music, home stereo.

When I'm out and about, I want to hear my environment, so I never wear anything like that outside.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Anytime that I'm not in the shower, with friends, watching tv or playing TV games. I would say 14 hours a day with earphones/headphones. It helps my sound sensitivity too.

Gp1

Besides every other time office, gaming, running, etc.

I sleep with a earbuds/headphone over my sleeping earplug. True story.
(Just because I didn't find a comfortable one to sleep with)

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Im all about headphones. I need headphones. I cannot live without a pair I live in NYC so during public transportation, walking, bike riding working in the office, home, when I DJ, phone calls.... I even have headphones tattooed on my arm.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have tinnitus, so most of the day, but I have tons of headphones, ear-phones, in-ear phones, I guess anytime I forgot them, I am buying a new one. Tinnitus is cruel condition. I sleep with them too obviously.

trickybiff

Way too often. Sometimes my ears actually start to feel sensitive to the touch after having worn them for a while. I don't like that.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
When Im home and doing chores i listen to a lot of podcasts. When Im at the gym music. When I game or chat with friends ya. But luckily for me I guess I cant concentrate on work while listening to something so when working or studying I dont have headphones in.

Last edited:

manfestival

When I am home? Most of the time outside of sleep, cooking, and showering. Though the majority of my day ... no. Somedays it can be like 12 hours but most of the week no. Maybe a few hours a day.

Mossybrew

The only time I wear any type of headphone is when I'm playing online with a friend a few times a week. Other than that I have no real need for them.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I wear a headset when gaming, and for meetings. I play music on my home stereo or in the car. I would say about 4-6 hours a day max.

Bombolone

Gold Member
I used to wear headphones while out or at the gym. Made it a goal to cut it out. Be more present in my surroundings.

Dont wear em in either scenario now. I enjoy the extra focus at the gym and being a pedestrian is already dangerous enough here. I also enjoy the sounds around me.

I use headphones at home for games/movies. I have a pair of Sony Xm3s. Over ear headphones get uncomfortable after an hour or so.
Maybe on average 1 - 2 hours a day.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Every day. Arctis Pro Wireless for working/calls/games, Sony XM3s for when I know I won't be interrupted and for the electronic drumkit I just got.

Never going back to buds.

maybe 40% chance i'll wear earpods while i walk the dog for 30-60 min (and twice a day). most of the time i'll wear them for a podcast or light music, but sometimes i'll keep them in just for noise canceling and not have anything playing even....

i go days never wearing any headphones though

OZ9000

Banned
I used to wear my headphones all the bloody time, but have since added a pair of monitor speakers and subwoofer at my desk.

I've stopped using earphones as they aren't very good for you and cause excessive wax retention.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Very very rarely - which makes my purchase of AirPods and the 3D PS5 headset big wastes of money.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
1. On a plane
2. With conference calls now being online, sometimes I wear it
3. Xbox MP
4. Occasionally when I walk to stores and listen to music

20cent

Banned
9 am - 6 pm at work (custom molded iem)

9 pm - 11 pm at home while gaming/movie when kids sleep (over the head headphones)

sedg87

Banned
I only tend to wear earphones when I'm in range of people, which isn't very often these days. Helps me with anxiety really.

nemiroff

Gold Member
After buying a pair of open back Fidelio X3 by Philips I'm now wearing headphones more than I ever did. Can wear them hours and hours and still feel completely comfortable (I thought the Steelseries Arctis was ok, but these are in a different league, including sound-wise). It may sound like an ad, but it's not meant to be. I mean, finding the right headphones for you is crucial for the experience. But it's tricky because we need to wear them for a while to find out..

Anyway, this is a tip for those who don't want to feel isolated with headphones: "Open back" headphones, they are great if you need to be aware of what's happening around you. They also tend to make a more natural sound profile.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
dont have headphones. i have sony earphones. always listening to something on the way home from work or at night to fall asleep.

i'd like a good pair of headphones to use on my PC but don't want a wire dangling all over the place. i just haven't bothered trying any and don't know if my earphones would connect. i might go try that right now infact! if it works i can get a good headset. the sony headphones (xm4 i think) are the ones i was looking at.

edit: omg i got them connected! :D so is so cool lol. i can hardly hear the click clack'ing of my mechanical keyboard now which was pissing me off. alright that's it i'm going to buy myself those headphones. i'll keep the earphones for my iphone/ipad.

Last edited:

Mistake

I only use them when I’m working or on a call. I have an enclosed phone case, which makes loud noises when talking to others. Usually I listen with apple earbuds because they don’t go in my ear and are less annoying. Also less likely to give you an ear infection.

Last edited:
Pretty much how I always listen to anything. Unless I'm watching a movie on the couch.

I like using headphones for the PC when I'm watching streams, YouTube and stuff like that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Cumulatively maybe a couple hours a week when I listen to music late at night. I actively try to avoid wearing headphones.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
As much as I can. When I'm at work, when I game, outside taking a walk listening to music. It's almost like an addiction. And it got even worse when I got my Sony xm3 last year, which are so good and versatile. Headphones makes everything better.

Last edited:

Dark Star

when I'm sitting at my desk at home I like using my right and left desk speakers, subwoofer, etc and listening to music that way. I actually prefer listening to music on speakers over headphones, i can be more aware of my enviomrent and I like the sound/feeling of bass/low frequencies filling a room/space rather than music being shot straight into my ear drums.

I quit wearing in ear headphones, too much earwax build up. Have not used my airpods pro in months.

I wear my over the ear headphones (bose) for a a few hours on the weekends when i'm riding my bike or skating or doing something active. That's my go-to for listening to music on the go.

at work I have a logitech headset that I wear for virtual meetings, maybe a couple hours a day. those are actually not very comfortable and should get new ones, they're cheap.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Only when I go out and wanna listen to music
Or it's late at night.
Any other time I turn the volume up for the good vibrations.
I never migrated to this headphone craze people did in the 2010's

daveonezero

Banned
Too much. I think AirPod Pros are amazing for podcasts and calls.

I too have to consciously take them out and go periods without them. I was wearing them a quite a bit.

Last edited:
I sleep with one AirPod Pro listening to podcasts, white noise, delta waves etc.
Just the other day I bought new JBL wireless buds and put on a sound clip of space music and had the best sleep in ages. I'm really liking these wireless buds and the killer feature is that I don't have to disconnect them. When i remove them from my ears and place them into the holder, it auto disconnects from my phone and when I take them out of the holder, they look to auto connect to my phone. That's a really cool feature.

Last edited:
Top Bottom