• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How often do you skip cut scenes?

How often do you skip cut scenes?

• Total voters

NinjaBoiX

So this question just popped into my head while I was trying out Exoprimal on GamePass. It quickly dawned on me that I was just hitting skip on every cut scene without even giving them a chance, almost subconsciously.

It’s a goofy game about mechs fighting dinosaurs, and I’d already decided that it wasn’t going to be humorously subversive, I just have no interest in the story it has to tell. But it just struck me how immediately dismissive I was, I didn’t even give it a second thought. And I think I’d already decided before I even booted the game up.

But I’m just as stubborn in my mindset about a game where I think I’ll find the story engaging, even if it’s not tickling my fancy right from the off I’ll almost always stick with it to see how it unfolds. And I almost never keep playing but decide to start skipping the cutscenes after a while, I’m either invested or not.

I think I’ve been playing games for long enough now that I already know if I’m willing to give the story a chance ahead of time, I’m either interested to see how it pans out or I just want to play the game without distractions, and I rarely change my mind midway through.

What about you guys?

Portugeezer

Usually I watch them, sometimes I skip dialogue in an RPG after many hours if I can skim read it.

Death Stranding was a recent exception, I have no fucking clue what happened towards the end because I skipped so much.

Last edited:
Normally I'll watch them through, because I tend to enjoy RPGs with stories, but if I'm playing something like Blazblue vs Persona Max or something like that where the dialog is so awful, I'll just button mash through it.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
When I was very young I used to be a shallow gamer. I would always want to get to the meat of the game as quickly as possible. But I have matured, and now I never skip them.

However.. I do wish I could have skipped the opening cutscene of Okami though. That was totally ridiculous..

jm89

If it's watching it for the first time, never skip.

But one game I couldn't do it and that was Yakuza kiwami 2.

Never played a game with such boring cutscenes that bored me to death. It was mainly towards the latter part of the game I started skilpping cutscenes wholesale.

Last edited:

Mikado

Gold Member
With steam's 2hr refund window, these days I skip every damn thing I can until I have a chance to see if the game is any good.

If it is, I'll go back and watch the ones I missed later / on YT.

NinjaBoiX

So interesting poll results so far, overwhelmingly “always watch regardless”, I was absolutely expecting more “I’ve usually already made my mind up” votes, especially with an enthusiast forum.

Fair play to people giving them a chance regardless, maybe I’m just jaded! 😅

Saber

Gold Member
Usually watch them to see myself if the writting and dialogues are interesting.

If not, I just skip by default.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Never during the first playthrough. Ever. Why would I want to skip a ton of the game I've paid for? A game is both its gameplay and the story it wants to tell, and I want to experience all of it.

Unless of course it's repeating stuff, like activating shrines in TOTK or whatever. Those I skip after the first few.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Most games i'll give it a good chance but as of late I find a lot of games have as much of a plot as most of the bilge you find on Netflix, being an old bastard I find myself liking more games that dont really have any sort of main plotpoint, games like Snowrunner or other open ended games..

When I was younger games had more down to earth plots, WW2 games were actually based in reality and other generes weres totally out there and were 'gamey'..

These days quite a few games are trying to tie modern tropes into the actual game itself and it's not what I like.

NinjaBoiX

Also who tf keeps playing a game he/she doesn't like?
Well that’s really a separate question but yeah, I just don’t understand why anyone would play a game they don’t like, for whatever reason.

I’ve seen posts sometimes where people have plugged away at a game they vehemently hate, chasing a platinum or whatever. I just don’t get why you’d do that, especially with the embarrassment of riches gamers have these days.

My problem is usually staying engaged, I’ll move on at the slightest hint of boredom!

So this question just popped into my head while I was trying out Exoprimal on GamePass. It quickly dawned on me that I was just hitting skip on every cut scene without even giving them a chance, almost subconsciously.

It’s a goofy game about mechs fighting dinosaurs, and I’d already decided that it wasn’t going to be humorously subversive, I just have no interest in the story it has to tell. But it just struck me how immediately dismissive I was, I didn’t even give it a second thought. And I think I’d already decided before I even booted the game up.

But I’m just as stubborn in my mindset about a game where I think I’ll find the story engaging, even if it’s not tickling my fancy right from the off I’ll almost always stick with it to see how it unfolds. And I almost never keep playing but decide to start skipping the cutscenes after a while, I’m either invested or not.

I think I’ve been playing games for long enough now that I already know if I’m willing to give the story a chance ahead of time, I’m either interested to see how it pans out or I just want to play the game without distractions, and I rarely change my mind midway through.

What about you guys?
It depends on the game for me. If it's something like Mass Effect, Death Stranding, TLOU, GoW, or heavy story oriented then I won't be skipping it. But if it's a racing game, or some arcadey platformer or an action game that mainly focuses on hardcore combat mechanics then I'll most likely skip.

If it's a new IP like Atlas Fallen for example, I'll watch the beginning cut scenes, if I don't find it interesting after a few I'll start skipping.

Usually try to watch all cutscenes on first playthrough, but if it becomes apparent the devs didn't put effort into the cutcenes, then neither am I.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

Depends on the game. TLOU? No. Exoprimal? Can’t skip fast enough.
Yup, this is exactly where I’m coming from, to extent that I’ve usually already decided before I even start.

A Naughty Dog game? These are going to be exceptional cut scenes well worth my time, both technically adept and narratively engaging.

A b-tier Capcom game about mechs fighting dinosaurs? Life’s too short bro…
Never during the first playthrough. Ever. Why would I want to skip a ton of the game I've paid for?
Fair point, the cut scenes are an integral part of the product that you’ve paid for.

But sometimes I know I’m interested in playing the game, but will be bored to tears by the cut scenes, and will make a purchase decision based on that.

I adore FromSoft games for example, and know for a fact that I’ll get hours upon hours of entertainment from them. But the minute I hear “Centuries ago, the Tarnished lost the grace of the Erdtree and were consequently banished from the Lands Between by Queen Marika the Eternal….”

Bore off with your cookie cutter, fantasy trope bollocks. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I skipped a lot in Final Fantasy XVI. I got so bored with the dialogue and whatever happened before a boss fight. I skipped maybe a quarter of the cutscenes in God of War Ragnarok. The game wasn’t catching my interest and I wanted to get to the end boss. Diablo IV I skipped a lot of dialogue. The cutscenes I watched because it’s Blizzard. I wanted to skip cutscenes in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 because the game felt better if it had the Dark Souls style world, ya know? I’d save the dialogue for 2D RPG’s. I’ve been in the mood for PS1 gen cutscenes. Stuff like Remnant II and etc. I skip the dialogue stuff. Maybe the love of the Souls games spoiled me. I replay DS3 and BB every year and it makes it hard to sit through some cutscenes.

Lately I haven’t cared for cutscenes. I usually don’t skip if it’s a cool cutscene or a boss cutscene. If the game has filler and it’s going nowhere then I’ll skip right away. I didn’t skip cutscenes in TLoU, RDR2, and some of last gen games. I didn’t skip with ER, RE4 or RE8. Something just happen.

I do plan on watching/listening to BG3 and AC6. I’m not gonna play Assassin’s Creed this year.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
I skip all cuts scenes. Always have. Don't give a fuck about story. I play games for gameplay. I watch TV and movies for story. I literally will skip a game if the cutscenes aren't skippable.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

It’s weird, when I was younger I’d talk to every towns person, watch every cutscene .. but now days I rage if I can’t skip a cutscene. I mean the other day I turned on Horizon 5 to a unskippable cutscene fir some new races or some stupid shit and I just turned it off.
🤷‍♂️
Haha, I feel you bro! I don’t mind an unskippable cut scene if it’s busy loading, especially if it tells you. But with modern SSD’s that’s rarely the case.

But having said that, I generally find that unskippable cut scenes aren’t often long, they aren’t going to force you to sit through a 5 minute cut scene against your will.

And in your example of FH5 and mine of MW2, it’s every few months at least until they bother you with it again.

I can deal with that.

Yes most game story’s are utter garbage, but if u skip them, how are u going even know what’s going on, u want to do that just stick gas games lol.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I usually watch them, at least during the first playthrough. I do remember skipping most of them in TLOU2 though, for example, so it’s nice that the option at least exists.

Really depends on the game and if the story is worthwhile relative to the length of the scenes for me. I’m not wasting countless hours on cutscenes I don’t care about.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Great thread. I got Ghostwire Tokyo for like 7 EUR and tried it out yesterday. The entire first act was one huge cut scene interapted by short walking section and 2 enemies encounters. I was yelling at the TV “just let me fucking play”. I told myself, if there’s another cut scene I will stop playing and uninstall that shit. And yeah, I tool an elevator, left the building and there was another cut scene. I gave up. It was the worst opening to a game that I’ve played in a long time.

Cut scenes should be short and sweet. They take control from you and the entire point of playing a game is being engaged and in control.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I would have voted if there was a "drunk" option 😄

Games like Dragon Age or Mass Effect I would just go to bed when I started to drunkenly skip cutscenes impatiently.

Lately though I'm skipping a lot of those awful FF 16 side quest cutscenes. Fuck yo story lemme fetch that shit for ya already.

Hudo

Depends on the game. I never skipped the Quake 3 intro, though.

It's still fucking awesome:

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Skip on most games because most games have terrible stories. Only exception in recent memory is BG3.

Top Bottom