• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How pissed am I? I just found a Gamecube component cable for $5 at Gamestop.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Yes, it's the official Nintendo one. Yes, it works perfectly.

I paid $50 for this damn thing on eBay and here I am, dropping by Gamestop before I grab a bite. I just happen to be digging through the used Gamecube crap and lo and behold, I see the colors of a component cable. Thinking "surely it's just some piece of crap 480i-capable Pelican one", but nope, Nintendo logo and all. I quickly snatch the thing off the shelf and buy it without trying not to act like they had no idea what they had.

Now I could do the obvious thing and just throw the sucker on eBay, but I'd honestly rather it go to some GAF GC fan, maybe via a game trade or something. Anyways, you can PM me on that one as I'm sure the ops don't want me bartering on the board. I just thought this was one of those interesting little treasure discovery I'd share. If you're trying to track down one of these elusive component cables, be sure to try the used section of your local EB or Gamestop first.

I take it you're based in NA? I wouldn't mind getting hold of a cable to run my NA imports, but you'd need to ship to UK.

What stuff you looking to get in a trade?

tedtropy

aerofx said:
So it was a mistake or do they actually sell it for that price?

Yep, it rung up for $5. Grabbed that puppy and ran.

tedtropy

radioheadrule83 said:
I take it you're based in NA? I wouldn't mind getting hold of a cable to run my NA imports, but you'd need to ship to UK.

What stuff you looking to get in a trade?

Yeah, NA. Any cool Gamecube titles, accessories. Just whatever you're willing to part with I'd love to hear out.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmmm, game trade? Whaddya want? I'd rather a brand new one, but I kinda don't want to wait until January. I got my own from NoA years ago, but I'm getting a component GCN for my brother for Hanukah, and it'd be nice to be able to get him a component cable right away.

I'm game. Name your "price". (Live in NY, by the way.)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
What?!

How long have these been in the stores? Why the hell didn't they have these in stores four year's ago? I had to import from JPN when NOA said they had sold out due ot "unexpected demand."

tedtropy

Gahiggidy said:
What?!

How long have these been in the stores? Why the hell didn't they have these in stores four year's ago? I had to import from JPN when NOA said they had sold out due ot "unexpected demand."

Well it wasn't in the original box or anything, just the usual used item ziplock bag. It was in good condition. I don't think Gamestop's ever officially sold them though, or at least I never saw 'em.

tedtropy

Mejilan said:
Hmmm, game trade? Whaddya want? I'd rather a brand new one, but I kinda don't want to wait until January. I got my own from NoA years ago, but I'm getting a component GCN for my brother for Hanukah, and it'd be nice to be able to get him a component cable right away.

I'm game. Name your "price". (Live in NY, by the way.)

Eh, just drop me a list of whatever you're willing to trade and we can go from there.

Mejilan

I don't want to trade anything. Not from my collection, anyway. But I'll happily buy you a game and have it shipped to you if you wish. Within reason though. I won't pay $50, because NoA will restock in a few weeks anyway. I'd just be happy to get it a few weeks early. :D

tedtropy

Mejilan said:
I don't want to trade anything. Not from my collection, anyway. But I'll happily buy you a game and have it shipped to you if you wish. Within reason though. I won't pay $50, because NoA will restock in a few weeks anyway. I'd just be happy to get it a few weeks early. :D

Ah, gotcha. I almost feel bad accepting money for it. Just a neat find, I've already got one, and just want to share the gamer wealth. If nobody wants to trade anything for it though, I'll be sure to let you know. I wouldn't dream of selling it for $50, I was pissed enough that I had to pay that...

Mejilan

tedtropy said:
Ah, gotcha. I almost feel bad accepting money for it. Just a neat find, I've already got one, and just want to share the gamer wealth. If nobody wants to trade anything for it though, I'll be sure to let you know. I wouldn't dream of selling it for $50, I was pissed enough that I had to pay that...

If I may ask, why didn't you wait? Nintendo sells out a few times a year, but they've always restocked before... eventually.

Dalamar86

Honestly must it be for a trade? I would gladly pay a resale amount. I've been trying to get a hold of one of these for a good year but I always miss them when they are stocked.

tedtropy

Mejilan said:
If I may ask, why didn't you wait? Nintendo sells out a few times a year, but they've always restocked before... eventually.

I'd just bought my new HD set at the time and was just too amped to wait on Nintendo's really indefinite restock date. I don't regreat buying the cable on eBay per say, just a little irked that I found it for considerably cheaper afterwards. F-Zero GX made me forget about those $50 for awhile. :D

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
tedtropy said:
Yes, it's the official Nintendo one. Yes, it works perfectly.

I paid $50 for this damn thing on eBay and here I am, dropping by Gamestop before I grab a bite. I just happen to be digging through the used Gamecube crap and lo and behold, I see the colors of a component cable. Thinking "surely it's just some piece of crap 480i-capable Pelican one", but nope, Nintendo logo and all. I quickly snatch the thing off the shelf and buy it without trying not to act like they had no idea what they had.

Now I could do the obvious thing and just throw the sucker on eBay, but I'd honestly rather it go to some GAF GC fan, maybe via a game trade or something. Anyways, you can PM me on that one as I'm sure the ops don't want me bartering on the board. I just thought this was one of those interesting little treasure discovery I'd share. If you're trying to track down one of these elusive component cables, be sure to try the used section of your local EB or Gamestop first.
I got my cables this way last year for $8.

Mejilan

I know what you mean, and kudos. Drop me a line if you'll accept a new game shipped to you, or cash (and by that, I mean Paypal). :D

tedtropy

olubode said:
I got my cables this way last year for $8.

Cool. Every now and then you find some really neat stuff cheap at places like EB and Gamestop. I picked up Alice for like $.99, the 'Game Over' Nintendo history book for $.50. Got F-Zero GX for about $5, ton of other good GC titles on the cheap...

el jacko

tedtropy said:
Cool. Every now and then you find some really neat stuff cheap at places like EB and Gamestop. I picked up Alice for like $.99, the 'Game Over' Nintendo history book for $.50. Got F-Zero GX for about $5, ton of other good GC titles on the cheap...
Heh, my friend picked up the Mac version of Diablo for a penny from a GS once. I actually think it was still new and sealed.

I believe when he brought it up to the counter, the clerk just kinda laughed and told him to keep his money.

Top Bottom