• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How safe is public wifi for checking e-mails?

Estellex

If someone was snooping they would only see what website I go to right? However, username and password are encrypted via HTTPS right?

Last edited:

Relativ9

If someone was snooping they would only see what website I go to right? However, username and password are encrypted via HTTPS right?

In theory yes, the really easily available info is your browsing (which anyone can easily see, don't need any "hacking" skill), but once they have access anyone with a bit more skill can also completely hack your phone or laptop and gain access to all your personal info. Most consumer devices don't have the level of protection you'd need to completely secure yourself against a direct attack. Best bet to discourage malicious intrusions and snooping is using a secure VPN connection. If this is your work email and you work for a company with an IT department worth their salt they'll have a VPN you can access from almost anywhere, use that.

Also, use two-factor authentication.

Last edited:

JP

I won't go anywhere near a WiFi hotspot without using a secure VPN, particularly as many public hotspots don't even require a secure password to use.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I won't go anywhere near a WiFi hotspot without using a secure VPN, particularly as many public hotspots don't even require a secure password to use.
Any recommended and inexpensive VPNs? And what about for mobile devices?

JP

D demon
I can certainly recommend the one I use as I've been using it for years and I've always been really happy with it but it's difficult to say it's the best as people will have their own recommendations and I'm in no position to comment on theirs.

I've been using NordVPN for many years without any issues at all and I do know they have a special offer on at the moment for new people, as is usually the way with these things though, it's only a special offer as it's a long term subscription. Have a look at it and see what other people post too.

They have use apps, both on mobile and desktop but I've actually gone a bit further and installed it on my router. I do use the mobile apps when out though.

Estellex

How do you guys know VPN are safe though? Can't the VPN provider know your personal information and what you are doing on the web?

Quality HTTPS will protect you in most situations. Under no circumstances should you accept a security certificate offered by the access provider (this allows man-in-the-middle, or free access to your underlying traffic regardless of HTTPS). This isn't available for Safari on iOS but you can reasonably trust safari to use HTTPs.

Heres what you need to do: Install HTTPs everywhere browser extension. Browsers look for bad HTTPs floating around, and this browser extension forces your connection to HTTPs if a website supports it. They also keep track of major websites security certificates in order to detect if you're being served something fishy.

If you're connecting to a reputable email provider (gmail, microsoft etc) and use HTTPs everywhere, you're fine in most scenarios. The cryptography used when you connect to gmail is the best that humanity has. No one is breaking it, even if they record your traffic.

I vehemently oppose using commercial VPNs for lots of reasons. I run my own in the cloud using Algo VPN for $4 a month. There are other measures you should take to protect your device while browsing because our modern web sucks but that could derail the thread.

Last edited:

Makariel

Any recommended and inexpensive VPNs? And what about for mobile devices?
On my laptop from work I use the VPN set up there, for private stuff my better half and I use Tunnelbear for almost 3 years now, working pretty good so see no reason to change. An if you ever find yourself on a WiFi where VPN acts weird or can't connect: run like hell.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what is quite common to do is to put a man in the middle wifi hotspot yourself that gives a cert warning that 90% of the public ignores. After that, putting everything plain text is trivial and all your shits is insecure if you signed on.

Thats a common demonstration at security conferences actually. those 'pineapple' things are a great way to do this.

-Minsc-

Taking some mental notes while posting using public Wi-Fi at a coffee shop. Sounding like it's a safe bet I should not be doing my banking with my smartphone. I do understand that security can only go so far.

You could always build your own VPN using a cheap Raspberry Pi system as well, if you wanted to avoid subscription fees and data limits.

There are lots of DIY guides to this online.

llien

Note that using VPN "providers" for stuff other than breaking through market borders (e.g. US Netflix in EU), will likely get you an unwanted attention.

You could always build your own VPN using a cheap Raspberry Pi system as well, if you wanted to avoid subscription fees and data limits..

Many routers (all that support OpenWRT, advanced ones, like Mikrotik) do that, why Pi?

Note that using VPN "providers" for stuff other than breaking through market borders (e.g. US Netflix in EU), will likely get you an unwanted attention.

Many routers (all that support OpenWRT, advanced ones, like Mikrotik) do that, why Pi?

Mine does not, and it was a fun little afternoon project.

OrionFalls

I use a VPN daily for everyday browsing. I’ve not had the feds at my door.

There are pros and cons of all the VPN providers out there. I used this site as a reference to start - https://thatoneprivacysite.net/

I had OctaneVPN for several years, and got frustrated at their client having issues frequently (disconnects, freezes). I ended up going with Mullvad this time around. The speed isn't quite as high as I had with Octane, but the stability is much better (and their information policies are more secure).

Top Bottom