• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How SE should handle Aerith big moment in Final Fantasy 7 remake?

I understand there might be people interested in the game that are new to the game and don't know the story. This is your last warning. Get out and don't look back.

My question is, it's quiet a pivotal moment in game, one of the defining moments for the game. How do you think it should be handled? I personally think Aerith's death doesn't change much. Its not like some games where death of a certain character basically starts a chain of events (Xenoblade Chronicles, Phantasy Star 4 etc) so I suppose she can be allowed to live.

I hope Square Enix give us surprises, not just Aerith's case but throughout the game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's almost certainly going to the be "the end" of Remake Part 2.

Hopefully, this means less people getting "stuck" at that part of the game because Aerith was a member of their party the whole time and was massively leveled and is just instantly gone. Not only that, but in the original game they essentially throw you to the wolves immediately after and don't give you time to build any other characters up nor give you the ability to move backwards to an area with weaker enemies. I've known lots of people who played Final Fantasy VII up to that point, then just gave up in frustration.

So hopefully, from a mechanical standpoint at least, they do better than the original game.

Whitecrow

Banned
You should read OPs before posting...

That is the most subtle and vague spoiler warning I ever saw. You know:
** WARNING: SPOILERS**

Sometimes people doesnt have the time to read every word of every post and tries to get straight to the meat of the thread, but whatever.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Would be interesting if you could save her, but it was very difficult to do so, so that the original narrative is preserved for most. A lot of fans would love that chance after all these years.

I've never played the game seriously, but I guess that could create issues for the ending?

Hopefully, this means less people getting "stuck" at that part of the game because Aerith was a member of their party the whole time and was massively leveled and is just instantly gone. Not only that, but in the original game they essentially throw you to the wolves immediately after and don't give you time to build any other characters up nor give you the ability to move backwards to an area with weaker enemies. I've known lots of people who played Final Fantasy VII up to that point, then just gave up in frustration.

So hopefully, from a mechanical standpoint at least, they do better than the original game.
It's not even certain that experience will carry from game to game, is it?

I was wondering this when they announced the special pre-order DLC (cactuar and a baby chocobo I think). Will those carry into Episode 2 and Episode 3? Will players hit an arbitrary level cap in Episode 1? Can you grind to your heart's content?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's not even certain that experience will carry from game to game, is it?

I was wondering this when they announced the special pre-order DLC (cactuar and a baby chocobo I think). Will those carry into Episode 2 and Episode 3? Will players hit an arbitrary level cap in Episode 1? Can you grind to your heart's content?
That's true - nobody knows the answer to any of these questions. I doubt that Episode 2 even releases on the PS4, which would further complicate matters.

Vawn

Banned
That is the most subtle and vague spoiler warning I never saw. You know:

Sometimes people doesnt have the time to read every word of every post and tries to get straight to the meat of the thread, but whatever.

It should be obvious to anyone reading the title that this is talking about spoilers before entering the thread. It doesn't matter if you've even played the game.

"How should they handle THAT moment?". If you read that and enter the thread about a game that almost everyone has played years ago and are surprised by a spoiler, that's on you.

The text is just extra warning. And no, "I understand there might be people interested in the game that are new to the game and don't know the story. This is your last warning. Get out and don't look back." Is neither subtle nor vague.

Grinchy

Banned
They should make it so Sephiroth dies instead since none of us would be expecting it. But then, Sephiroth's clone comes into frame and kills Aerith and says he's been watching everything the whole time so everyone can just interact with him as though he were the original Sephiroth.

jshackles

Exactly like the original, but in HD with updated visuals.
It always bugged me that Sephiroth's sword goes straight through her, but there was no blood or guts or anything and the blade was absolutely clean. Like Sephiroth was just checking to make sure she was cooked all the way through.

lqnQh0.gif

chitzy

Banned
They really need to up the ante here to recreate the shock and awe that we experienced in 1997. Here's what I suggest:
Sephiroth descends from the sky and plunges masamune through Aeris, who buckles over and dies. Cloud is stunned. Sephiroth then removes his mask and reveals his true identity: Donald J. Trump!

"Tremendous sneak attack. Just tremendous. I have the best sneak attacks!" Trump proudly proclaims. As Cloud sits there sniveling, Trump makes a few quips about him being "low energy" and a "nervous wreck". If you have Yuffie in your party at this point, Shinra ICE agents will appear and haul her away. You will need to complete a side quest obtaining falsified documents for her if you want to get her back.

ethomaz

Banned
I did not like her 3D model in the remake... it is so different from the art work.

Cloud and Barret are fine.

Well she was never a good character in gameplay terms.
She lacks damage output and her healing skills can be replaced with few materias.... in fact just the Restore and Heal.

So why did you maintain her in the group? To make the battles harder?

She was created to be a temporary and story related character since begining.

PS. That remember me how "magical" is Luna in FFXV a character supposed to have the same role as Aerith... one director did wonderful... the other lol what a mess... he had no ideia what he was doing... I should make a thread about that someday :D

Last edited:

Mr.Allan

Neo Member
That is the most subtle and vague spoiler warning I never saw. You know:

It's literally first sentance. Are you somewhat retarded to read from finish to start?

What big moment? That scene keeps getting overblown every year since it became easy to put reaction videos on the Internet, not that many reviews from back in the day even mentioned it.

All that happens is a sword stabs through her, same scene with modern graphics and you're done. The game will then screw over your party and you will quit in anger.

Pejo

Gold Member
What if you can save her by going back in time in Part 3 to the exact moment where Sephi stabs her and then substituting her body with a delicious Butterfinger™ snack bar. Better not lay a finger on my Butterfinger®

I think that this lends weight to her stature in the party, if killing her has no effect... Why does she matter? What would be the weight of her death?

They should do a switcheroo and have
Aerith kill Sephiroth !
Or maybe give it the Norman Bates treatment :
3r3F6Z0.jpg

Sephiroth was Aerith with a wig the entire time !
Wouldn't that be amazing ?
No.

But that was intentional because they wanted the players to actually experience some form of loss without Aerith anymore. That's why you never get another healer character so you always feel her absence.

Spokker

Well, I think they will keep that scene as is, but you'll have to collect 4 key cards, find 10 lost cats and steal the wizard staff to see it.

They will send a tissue by mail to all pre-orders.
I'm going to need more than one by the time I get to Honeybee Inn.

Last edited:
It always bugged me that Sephiroth's sword goes straight through her, but there was no blood or guts or anything and the blade was absolutely clean. Like Sephiroth was just checking to make sure she was cooked all the way through.

lqnQh0.gif
I dont think the idea was to make a gore scene, they were movies but at the time they didint have the tech or expertise to make them as good you can tell because they are using discrete polygons to make the different parts of the body just like the ingame models, it was in FFVIII and IX when they improved they quality for videos and in game models

Last edited:

Fret Runner

The scene plays out as normal, you're controling Cloud as he is spazzing out with his sword about to stab Aerith, you are waiting for Sephiroth to pop up an stab her but nope, you while controlling Cloud are the ones to kill her.

Cloud being controlled Sephiroth is the one to off Aerith.
Would be brutal and really sell Cloud losing his fucking mind after already Decking Aerith once after he gave Sephiroth the Black materia.

I personally hope for this change cause I always get the vibe that was their intension, what with the controlling Cloud weilding his sword behind Aerith about to stab her, but chickend out of it being that dark.

Top Bottom