• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How similar is Baldur's Gate 3's gameplay to Divinity 2 Original Sin's?

Guilty_AI

(And I'm not sure what being good at games has to do with it, but ok)
Fights end more quickly for you because you're good at it.

I, too, think the fights in both games can draw out a bit, though its something that doesn't bother me. Think how the average joe may spend quite a bit of time just calculating the next move, retrying after dying a couple of times, or maybe aggroing more people than necessary.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Well, I don't "idle" a lot thinking my move because typically by the time my turn comes I already had something in mind.

Mozzarella

Yes it's an extra to burn enemies of course, what i meant when i said it's pointless is that, for example, i am using my mage as a double haste machine, and then after that i can either pass my turn or just use him to finish some low hp enemy, but by using haste and avoiding losing my concentration on my mage i feel i am more useful and that i am wasting less resources than by trying to do combos or to deal a lot of damage, after all my two hasted guys are going to destroy the fight in a couple turns, and even if they are melee their movement is so high that they can go anywhere to be honest.

I feel Divinity 2 made me try harder to use elemental status since the damage output overall was way lower unless you used "Glass Cannon", but that forced you to be really really squishy, while on BG3 you can be tank as hell and still land a lot of attacks per turn.

About the arrows yes i mean the ones on your inventory, basically every usable item on there, same for scrolls, or grenades etc, on BG3 there's way more than you'll ever need, i have hundreds of these items at this point, Divinity 2 felt way more hand-crafted on that, that's why i meant stealing was more useful in D2, as you were resource limited, each arrow, barrel, or gold you could get was great.

On BG3 i got over 20k coins right now, which i left on my camp because it's already over 20KG, most items cost 100-400, i could buy every item from every trader and i wouldn't waste all my coins at this point, as for camp resources, when i saw you needed these to camp i liked the idea of having to plan when to rest etc, now i have around 3k resources also on my camp since it's around 150-200kg. that's like 35 long rests.

That's why i said stealing doesn't make much sense in this game, other than for quest items, i created a character to steal because it was very important on Divinity 2, but on this game i just stole something two times, i don't see any point on stealing more gold, arrows, scrolls etc when i have so many already.

As for my favourite games i'd say both Divinity games combat wise were great, even tho both have flaws, also both XCOM, i've spent over a thousand hours on these games and i still don't get tired of playing them just for the combat. There are more but these are the ones that will always come to my mind first.

And about the combat i agree with you, it's not that long at least on BG3, while some specific fights can last 20mins, i'd say the average might be 5 to 10 mins range, would help if we could "skip" enemies turn's animations for example.
I see, the beauty of the game is that you can roleplay how you like, for example in your case i would say you are simply wasting the potential of your mage, if your mage sole purpose in the party is to be "Haste machine" then isn't it better to just craft potions of speed and stack scrolls of Haste? maybe you want a lot more than you can afford so you stick with spells, but the potion can be better for your strategy since it uses bonus action instead of action and doesnt require concentration., by limiting your mage to one role only you are wasting his potential of being an AoE damage machine too, in the shadowlands i lost count to how many times the fireball aoe spell cleared enemies for me, its a really good bomb to deal with a pack of enemies, i had a tough encounter underground with enemy that strikes fear into my party members, and paralyze them, i used water+electricity spells and removed 3 of them entirely from the fight with a single hit and left 1 near dead, also you can use a lot of other spells, im sure you know all that.
Anyway the great thing about the game is that it lets you build whatever roleplaying fantasy you want, you want to be a ranger who just uses elemental arrows, go ahead. You say there are lots of items to use and i say thats a great thing, since that gives you more reason to play things differently on your next playthrough, i dont want to play the same way each time, thats a huge plus for me. Think about it from this way, every item you can buy (except weapons and armor you dont want to downgrade duh) can be put to a good use. I'd rather say the itemization in BG3 is way better than DOS2 too, i agree with someone who pointed that out.

I'm sorry but i still dont understand your point about stealing in the game, both games allow you to steal, whats the difference here, in BG3 if you keep stealing until you are rich af, then how is that a problem, i guess just stop stealing if you feel you have enough? i explored dungeons and looted everything and i found myself still lacking on gold, because some items can cost up to 5000 gold and plus, so stealing is definitely useful, its also better handled with proper pickpocket system than just stat check. In DOS2 you can have too much gold too, i remember i used to refresh shop to get the item i wanted from it, lol, but in both cases you can steal and buy everything. You are right in the sense that DOS2 you need to build a thief to make stealing worth it, here you can steal without being a thief, but thats about it.

I agree XCOM and Divinity are great tactical games but XCOM isn't a RPG. I played quite the number of turn based RPGs, few of them come close to the level of gameplay in Larian games. For example i enjoyed Tactics Ogre, but my god its not even in the same league of those games, and thats an actual good turn based rpg with some depth into it, Dragon Quest and Persona for example bore me to tears with their system. (dont want to crap on them since i can enjoy them for some hours before i start losing steam)

Fights end more quickly for you because you're good at it.

I, too, think the fights in both games can draw out a bit, though its something that doesn't bother me. Think how the average joe may spend quite a bit of time just calculating the next move, retrying after dying a couple of times, or maybe aggroing more people than necessary.
Sometimes i drag the fight longer because i feel im enjoying it a lot, not everytime a combat is long means im having bad time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom