• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Sony became a player in the gaming world - Financial Times

Bryank75

Banned

The first noise on Frank Ocean’s breakthrough album Channel Orange is not his voice but a sound effect — two syrupy synthesiser notes, a celestial twinkle, then a sound like slicing through compressed air, light glinting from a blade. It’s the start-up sound of Sony’s first gaming console, the PlayStation, which triggers a Proustian reflex in millions of gamers my age. Hearing it today, I am catapulted back to Christmas Day 1998, unwrapping the grey plastic machine and loving it immediately, unconditionally, with every fibre of my being.

Ocean is not alone in milking the widespread nostalgia for this era-defining console. The sounds of PlayStation haunt electronic music and grime. The console’s monogram logo is trending in modern streetwear. This cultural prominence is partly down to Sony’s success — the three bestselling home gaming consoles in history are all PlayStations — but it’s not the whole story. Nintendo and Microsoft have sold millions of consoles, too, yet neither brand became an icon of modern culture. How did PlayStation become the cool one?

Sony aligned its console with underground culture, sponsoring extreme sports events and music festivals. As rave music went mainstream in the mid-1990s, PlayStations lined the chill-out rooms of nightclubs such as Ministry of Sound. Zeitgeisty games such as Wipeout featured design from the trendy Designers Republic and music from electronic acts such as Chemical Brothers, New Order and The Prodigy. For decades games had been regarded either as kids’ toys or the reserve of bedroom geeks, but PlayStation was stylish, edgy, the opposite of Nintendo’s pastel-coloured innocence.

This reputation was cemented with the PlayStation 2 in 2000, an immediate phenomenon that sold 160m units and inspired one fan to change his name from “David Holmes” to “PlayStation 2”. The surreal adverts continued, including a baffling spot from David Lynch. Behind the posturing was a stellar line-up of games including Grand Theft Auto III, God of War and Metal Gear Solid 2, which pioneered the mature themes, cinematic narratives and open-world action genres that still dominate the gaming landscape today.

Continued in Article.

Last edited:
どうもありがとお、そに-さま!
vPLgaGF.png

すごい!すごい!すごい!
PrwpK9T.jpg

Last edited:

GHG

Thank you so much Nintendo for being a POS company for so long.

We wouldn't have had Playstation without you.

Sega fucking about at the same time also contributed.

Every star that needed to align for them around the release of the PS1 did.

petran79

Banned
Sega fucking about at the same time also contributed.

Every star that needed to align for them around the release of the PS1 did.

Atari, Commodore and Panasonic fucked it even more. Microsoft surpassed them all in fuckery but difference is they had billions of cash reserves and some part of their infinite investment sufficed and paid off.

Bryank75

Banned
I was a big Sega fanboy back in the day I hated Sony.
I was a Nintendo fanboy... I still have 3 Switch's but I prefer Sony, they won me over after how they dealt with the PS3. Just making awesome exclusives and providing them year after year.

Lukin1978

I remember reading in some magazine that Sony would have a hard time because they didn't have any exclusive software.
I was a Sega guy so of course I bought a Saturn but a few years later had to pick up a PS1 been a fan ever since.

Chiggs

Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance is arguably in the Top 3 of those legendary 2001 PS2 games.

That’s how wonderful that game truly is.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
More like THE player. Telecommunications Regulatory Authority-Sultanate of Oman just posted this (in Arabic) referring to all gaming (even smartphone gaming) as simple as PlayStation (بلايستيشن), talking about the raise of telecommunications usage during COVID-19 pandemic:

148403.jpg

Original:

EVnhtEoUMAEMfmI

148402.jpg

Last edited:

Shakka43

どうもありがとお、そに-さま!
vPLgaGF.png

すごい!すごい!すごい!
PrwpK9T.jpg
Honestly didn't remember Ico being that old, I didn't get it until the PS3 Remaster anyway.

Quite the magical lineup that was. I remember me and my older brothers visiting our cousins who had a PS2 with GTA3, we spend the whole day playing it and just being blown away by how awesome it was, the next day we got home my brothers bought a PS2 with GTA3, Silent Hill 2, MGS2 and Resident Evil Code Veronica which came with a demo of DMC, didn't take long for us to get the full game.

Honestly didn't remember Ico being that old, I didn't get it until the PS3 Remaster anyway.

Quite the magical lineup that was. I remember me and my older brothers visiting our cousins who had a PS2 with GTA3, we spend the whole day playing it and just being blown away by how awesome it was, the next day we got home my brothers bought a PS2 with GTA3, Silent Hill 2, MGS2 and Resident Evil Code Veronica which came with a demo of DMC, didn't take long for us to get the full game.
Cherish those memories forever 💙

Jtibh

Banned
どうもありがとお、そに-さま!
vPLgaGF.png

すごい!すごい!すごい!
PrwpK9T.jpg
This right here is what i am hoping for from ps5.
Easy to develop for easy to understand architecture will result in a huge output of games . No more waiting years and years for games to release.
Here is hoping.

Looking back i cant believe i played all those games in a span of 2 months.
Going to bed at 3 am in the morning only to wake up at 9 and continue all weekend long.

どうもありがとお、そに-さま!
vPLgaGF.png

すごい!すごい!すごい!
PrwpK9T.jpg

What a time to be alive. The following gens never lived up to this one imo.

Checkout this channel (thanks IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo - Making of GTurismo) that has heaps of PS content from years gone. The Obscure Games playlist is pure gold.

This game stood out to me. Surely it must have pushed the PS1 hardware all the way. Anyone know if theres an english version?

There is! DL link in Description - Edit: Nevermind - https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=29010.0

Last edited:
cheers_leonardo_dicaprio.gif

Likewise without Sony entering the console business Microsoft wouldn't have. As they entered because they wanted to compete with Sony for the living room spot. Nintendo set off a chain reaction.

Wouldn't have happened without Yamauchi not noticing the fine print in the contract sooner.

Naibel

I still believe July to December 2001 was video gaming's peak.

PS2's historic line-up (with the greatest game ever made in it, you know what it is), Gamecube and Xbox launch (SSBM, SW Rogue Leader, Halo, PGR, Dead Or Alive 3), the last DC games (Shenmue 2, Rez, Virtua Tennis 2), some great gems on the GBA (Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Ace Attorney but only in glorious Nihon), motherfokin' Tony Hawk 3...

It was a ridiculously good time to be a gamer, regardless of platform. Too bad I was slightly too young to enjoy most of those titles tho. I was too much into Pokemon godammit !

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
Thank you so much Nintendo for being a POS company for so long.

We wouldn't have had Playstation without you.
Nintendo also thanks themselves from pulling out of a bad deal and ushering in a good competitor that has contributed a lot towards a good and healthy console gaming market that also Nintendo keeps profiting from.

The Alien

Banned
Lol.

Since we arent getting clicks on PS5 news, we'll just make our own stories about Sony to get those clicks.

Top Bottom