• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How SONY's Hometown Studio Rose From the Ashes In Time for the PS4

Read the whole article. very cool read. Convinced me to buy Puppeteer and Rain right now. It's downloading at the moment. Polished, unique games, thats what gaming is all about. I just hope Becker doesnt interfere too much with Ueda's vision...

Shahed

Legend of Dragoon 2 will be Sony's Final Fantasy killer.

Please

I really want them to do a big JRPG. But even if I enjoyed The Legend of Dragoon, it wasn't without flaws. If they go big and ambitious for an RPG, I'd rather have them make a complete new game that can amaze us, without the constraints an existing IP like LoD would have, and any baggage that would come with it.

A reboot or sequel to that game can come later :p

Donthizz#

"Last year, the sight of the name "Allan Becker" led members of the webforum NeoGAF to worry that a foreigner was taking over the studio."

Oh GAF.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Eh, I'll believe it when I see it. I sure hope I see it. Sony Japan has been in the shitter. =/

Another good kotaku article, they're really standing out from the crowd for me.

yeah but they still have a ways to go to get rid of the bad taste of "jaffe is a misogynist" accusations or "why didn't sony have any female presenters?"...among other things.

Pistolero

How many people work for Sony Japan Studio?

Not enough, imo. Being their only eastern studio, I believe that Sony should expand it...
Well, I'm aware that the financial situation of the group is not rosy, but still, that would be a reasonable thing to engage in.
Enlighting article by the way!

The lack of many Japanese, heavy-hitter titles is what really soured this gen for me. I'm a big Nintendo kinda guy and I can't remember being excited for any Japanese game for either my PS3 or 360. They need to fix this now... and I don't want the Japan studio basically making western style games.

The lack of many Japanese, heavy-hitter titles is what really soured this gen for me. I'm a big Nintendo kinda guy and I can't remember being excited for any Japanese game for either my PS3 or 360. They need to fix this now... and I don't want the Japan studio basically making western style games.

well, 3 games under his management so far Puppeteer, Rain, and Knack don't exactly look japanese, I think we'll get some japanese looking game but need something that have international appeal look to it, so maybe not too anime heavy look, but they also have Gravity Rush 2 in the pipeline so who knows, also I wonder if external development like Over My Dead Body 2, Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars falls under his responsibility too or not.

well, 3 games under his management so far Puppeteer, Rain, and Knack don't exactly look japanese, I think we'll get some japanese looking game but need something that have international appeal look to it, so maybe not too anime heavy look, but they also have Gravity Rush 2 in the pipeline so who knows, also I wonder if external development like Over My Dead Body 2, Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars falls under his responsibility too or not.
Yeah, but even Metal Gear Solid still feels pretty Japanese to me and it has worldwide appeal. I think they can do it... gimme that Team Ico stuff up in heeeere.

BBboy20

I think you'll see this kind of Japanese comeback throughout all of next gen. Capcom and Panta Rhei, SQEX and Luminous, Konami and Fox Engine, just to name a few.
Well...assuming Cacpcom doesn't turn another favorite into a free-to-play title, Final Fantasy XV actually earns the hype, and if Konami makes something that isn't Metal Gear.

I have to say that for all the heat they take on here Kotaku publishes some pretty compelling pieces. They've definitely upped their game in the past year and their reviews and their long journalistic articles have become must reads for me. I hope they keep it up.

It's been pretty clear that Studio Japan have never lacked the talent. Just look at games like Rain and Puppeteer. The latter is one of my games of the year but also illustrates the continued tendency for SCEA to make some odd decisions. The game would have done a lot better, and gotten a lot of free exposure as a PS4 crossplatform launch title. I hope they can stop making these sorts of iffy decisions and start putting out more great games. Imagine what they could do if they had the organization, marketing skills and focus as Naughty Dog.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just read the rest. That was a good read. I hope Japan Studio can become something and if going by Becker's new direction with the studio then I'm pretty excited for SCE Japan SW moving forward.

I have to say that for all the heat they take on here Kotaku publishes some pretty compelling pieces. They've definitely upped their game in the past year and their reviews and their long journalistic articles have become must reads for me. I hope they keep it up.

It's been pretty clear that Studio Japan have never lacked the talent. Just look at games like Rain and Puppeteer. The latter is one of my games of the year but also illustrates the continued tendency for SCEA to make some odd decisions. The game would have done a lot better, and gotten a lot of free exposure as a PS4 crossplatform launch title. I hope they can stop making these sorts of iffy decisions and start putting out more great games. Imagine what they could do if they had the organization, marketing skills and focus as Naughty Dog.
Other than sports games and digital download games. Sony seems really not into cross gen games. They could have make gt6, tlou, puppetteer, and beyond as a cross gen gamea but they firmly said no, and I actually believe them when they said they're not porting their ps3 game to ps4. At least not until a few years into ps4 as ps3 full hd collection

Jhriad

Thoroughly enjoyable read. Thanks for the heads up Bundy. Really hope we see even more from Japan Studio this generation.

Damn, I knew Japan Studio was extremely modular, but 40+ titles in development in a 400+ team studio? That's insane.

Looking forward to what Allan Becker can deliver.

leroidys

Not that I would MIND if Legend of Dragoon came back, but I would rather them just start something from scratch, and please, for the love of god NO LEVEL 5. Rogue Galaxy was terrible, WKC was terrible, apparently Dark Cloud was somehow good, but these dudes can not make good gameplay to save their lives.

I would actually be very interested in Ueda overseeing a JRPG. Too bad he's stuck working on TLG for the next 30+ years.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?

"We launched the PS Vita and saw few AAA titles to suit the Japanese market," Yoshida said. "Everyone got a wake up call." The solution was obvious and it was going to involve Sony's Japan Studio. "We really have to support our first party," Yoshida remembered thinking. That was 2011. And by the next year, Sony brought in Allan Becker to make sure that the studio could deliver.

Once Tearaway ships it looks like none of Sony's studios will be working on Vita games (outside of MLB I guess) so someone has to.
The article repeatedly makes mention of Rain, and that game was developed by Acquire. So I dunno what's going on there.
Brian seems to be under the impression that if you don't make console games you don't exist. Which is of course hilarious given he lives in Japan.
That said, it's not like Japan Studio is pumping out the Vita games either. They've only developed Gravity Rush.
I don't know if that's directly talking about the Vita. That's forgetting the fact that a few insiders say that there are Vita games being made, they're just being kept really quiet.
Rain is a three way between Playstation C.A.M.P, Acquire, and SCEJ.
If you don't make games, you don't exist.
Code:
| PS3 |  4   |   4  |   3  |   4  |   0  |   1  |   3  |  0  |
| PS4 |      |      |      |      |      |      |   1  |  2^ |

*Includes both PSP and Vita. PSP Support ended in 2012.
^Assumes that TLG and GR2 come out in 2014
[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCE_Japan_Studio"]Source[/URL]
Here's what I think Becker is doing.
Now obviously, SCEJ is goddamn massive. You don't have 40 projects going with just 4 people each or something. There has to be hundreds of people working there and they could only pump out 6 max a year? And with a split proportion of small and large titles at that. Obviously, Becker came in in 2011, ripped up what they were doing, and told them to focus down. I don't know if we'll be reaping the benefits in terms of quantity but, we will be getting it in at least AAA games. That JRPG they are doing has to be taking up man power. And they still have TLG and all those Vita titles in development. And, they just finished up on Knack. In about a year or two, we'll have tangible evidence of what he's been doing. And honestly, since he's taken over, we've had just as much (if not more) diversity and solid title ratio than any of those previous years. If what we reap from SCEJ and Becker is better AA titles and 2-3 AAA on a good basis, I think the refocusing was an extreme net gain.
"Last year, the sight of the name "Allan Becker" led members of the webforum NeoGAF to worry that a foreigner was taking over the studio."
Oh GAF.
QFT
Not enough, imo. Being their only eastern studio, I believe that Sony should expand it...
Well, I'm aware that the financial situation of the group is not rosy, but still, that would be a reasonable thing to engage in.
Enlighting article by the way!
You don't have 40 projects running at the same time without some insanely massive group. They don't need growth, they need focus. And it's happening. And they are expanding their studios. Look at SSM and ND. Not to mention we don't know how many other studios are still 1 team or not.
Great article though I wish they had pushed harder for info on The Last Guardian. That's a journalist's job, right?
What? This is the most TLG info we've gotten in a long time. The fact that Becker and Ueda are having tussles is very good information. This is exactly the kind of information we want and look for. Did you want a release date or something?

Really interesting article, and it's genuinely exciting to think Japan Studio could make a comeback this gen, firing on all cylinders again. There's clearly a lot of ideas and creativity there, and I'd love to see them become as prominent as Santa Monica or Naughty Dog. Sounds like the structural shake-up was harsh but necessary and in the long term they'll be much better for it.

I really hope the rumour about one or two big RPGs in development is true. Most of all I'd love Demon's Souls 2 though.

Qvoth

gonna read this
man, can't imagine what'd happen when they finally announce tlg again
i wouldn't mind to pay a ps4 up front

<3 Japan Studio.

They've made most of my memorable games. Gravity Rush, Siren Blood Curse, Tokyo Jungle, and soon to be added; Puppeteer. 30% and only at $20! :D People buy it before the next update on PS Store!

I love Puppeteer, but can we all admit that they haven't risen from shit yet? They're poised to rise, but they haven't gotten there yet. They acknowledge that in the interview.

Or it could be typical Japanese humility.

Tratorn

Their Vita-output isn't bad imo (Puppeteet was great too), but I want finally some JRPG love for homeconsoles again. :/

EGM1966

Good article - in fact TBH in made me realize how short and weak more articles are on game sites these days : or so it feels like anyway.

Liked both Rain and Puppeteer despite some flaws in each and hope to see a lot more interesting stuff from Japan. Demon's Souls 2 would be nice too.

Read the whole article. very cool read. Convinced me to buy Puppeteer and Rain right now. It's downloading at the moment. Polished, unique games, thats what gaming is all about. I just hope Becker doesnt interfere too much with Ueda's vision...

Let him interfere. It's been nearly EIGHT YEARS since Shadow of the Colossus launched, and we've yet to see anything solid on TLG bar the reveal trailer. Clearly the structure and set-up they've been using has not worked, so it needs someone to come in, kick the team up the arse and either get the project back on track or just can it and stop stringing us all along.

Nothing will ever be a FF killer

Square-Enix are doing a pretty great job.

Somehow I feel like Sony has learned from all their mistakes during the last generation and they are making it right this time.

Yeah, it does seem like they've learned their lessons in almost every regard. Here's hoping Japan Studio can really re-ascend to greatness. Like many Japanese developers, they really seemed to lose their way last gen.

I love Puppeteer, but can we all admit that they haven't risen from shit yet? They're poised to rise, but they haven't gotten there yet. They acknowledge that in the interview.

Or it could be typical Japanese humility.

A lot of this is humility. It's one of the things I like most about the Japanese side of the industry; there's lots of respect and humbleness.

PerZona

Read the whole article on Kotaku and it's a very good read. Looks like we can expect some good games for the PS4 and Vita from Japan Studios soon. And I hope that the whole videogame industry in Japan makes a comeback next gen, it's about time that they "wake up".

Top Bottom