• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Steve Jobs would have presented Wii U at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

Thanks guys. I wrote this watching two soccer semi finals and going late to bed, and yet I believe it's a better script than what they spent weeks to show at their conference. Using Steve Jobs was not supposed to be taken so seriously. I used him because he knew how to present his product strengths, his vision, exactly what is lacking in recent Nintendo communications. If you can see the difference between this kind of confident message and what Nintendo presented, then you will understand my point. Some comments here are borderline but I also had some good laughs. Love you gaf.

I think much of the abuse you're taking stems from the fact that a presentation like this doesn't translate well to a forum post. I suspect that it would come off much better -- much more true to your vision -- if you imbued it with life in a video so you can convey your passion for the product (the way Steve did) using subtle intonations and nuanced emphasis.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Screw the haters, I read this in Jobs' voice and pacing and it was fantastic. This would have gone over much better than the real conference, and definitely inspired more energy and excitement.

The truth is, the Wii U will probably be fantastic, and the launch lineup isn't half-bad. The problem is that Nintendo had a botched delivery with their conference, and people on GAF are stupid-hard to please - they love watching Nintendo fail.

So again, forget the haters. I think you did a good job rewriting the conference. Anyone who gives you shit probably has a pathetically pessimistic and closed mind, or wants to look cool by hating on Nintendo.

Tookay

The truth is, the Wii U will probably be fantastic, and the launch lineup isn't half-bad. The problem is that Nintendo had a botched delivery with their conference, and people on GAF are stupid-hard to please - they love watching Nintendo fail.

No. They don't.

If anything most posters wanted Nintendo to save us from a shitty E3.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Screw the haters, I read this in Jobs' voice and pacing and it was fantastic. This would have gone over much better than the real conference, and definitely inspired more energy and excitement.

So again, forget the haters. I think you did a good job rewriting the conference. Anyone who gives you shit probably has a pathetically pessimistic and closed mind, or wants to look cool by hating on Nintendo.

Yea, it's amazing how copying a Steve Jobs keynote and changing some words can sound line Steve Jobs...

Nintendo fandom is ingrained in a lot of people, I don't think people choose to dislike what they are doing, some of my favourite games I've ever playe are on a Nintendo platform developed from Nintendo, but their E3 conference was nonsense to me, I feel no urge what so ever towards getting the WiiU.

OP: Please try to be less biased. Your fanboyness makes me scroll past your posts.

The company does not care about you. It is a corporation.

coldfoot

Banned
I don't get the hate against the OP nor the length. It wasn't THAT long come on. I don't give a crap about Nintendo or Wii U, and I found it enjoyable. Everything seems a little bit more magical when presented with the Steve Jobs style...

VegaNine

Jack Tretton: It's a great honor to introduce our next guest. He is a world-renowned autho—

Ernest Hemingway: That's unnecessary, Jack. An introduction from you is an insult.

*Tretton shrinks away*

9WMdl.jpg

My name is Hemingway. I'm a writer, a sportsman, and a man. I've been called here today to introduce Sony's Wonderbook. I've been paid handsomely for the job, but had I been given a photograph of this crowd, I'd have come at no cost.

Your faces impress me. I see children where men should sit.

*drinks*

You lot of reprobates. I was never so young!

You, there—in front. I've traveled the world and have seen no face like yours. It's the face of an adult child. Yes, that's right.

Don't shy away! Look at me!

No man who has labored in the sun could give your impression. There'd be no lurching, no paleness, no coyness. They'd be sitting straight! Faces brown, eyes proud, hands clutching psalmbooks. But not you. You clutch a cellphone. Find me one in the hands of a matador!

"Puck." May I call you that? Tell me, Puck—do your veins pulse with blood? Come up here, then, and spill me a little. Spill some of mine if you can. I have your puberty in my fist. Don't you want it? No?

*hearty laugh*

*drinks*

I've only one question for the rest of you:

*stares out at crowd*

Have you nightcrawlers never looked into the eyes of womankind? Or can't you do it?

No, I don't imagine that any of you have charisma enough to woo the female sex, but if you ever impregnate a whore, the rats that crawl out of her backside will require some help. From you, they won't get any. From me, they just may.

That's why I'm here! The Wonderbook! It will morph your bastard pinkies into functioning humans. How, you ask, will it perform this shining miracle?

*appears onscreen: "Ernest Hemingway's Death in the Afternoon"*​

With literature!

Literature is nothing like the shit you read today. You'll find no wizards in it. In literature, your children will learn to fear nature! They'll learn to smell blood!

My book will firm their handshake! My book will give them BALLS! When their wives ask a favor, they'll growl, "NO! I was conceived on a LUCKY DAY—my father was a miserable softie and I won't be the same! It was Hemingway! Hemingway taught me what it means to be a man! Do the job yourself, you bitch."

*blasts air through nose*

So I plead—if you MUST reproduce, and so roll the dice against posterity, then purchase the Wonderbook for the sake of our dying nation.

Then give that unlikely child a glass of cognac and sit him by the TV.

You can curl beside him in the fetal postion. Cover your eyes if you must. Just make sure that bastard pinkie finishes the book, and becomes more of a man than my new girlfriend, Puck.

*drinks*

Good night, and god help us.

*exits stage, drinking*

Jack Tretton: Wow, that was just great.

I used to hate Jobs presentations, but there's no doubt he was a master at them. marc^o^ you've done a great job here and anyone who thought this was written from scratch is insane. It was perfectly obvious what you did and it's masterful work. Quite honestly, reading it makes me want a Wii U more than anything Nintendo has done. Love how you structured it too, feels like it's hitting the right notes at the right time.

Most definitely not an Apple or Nintendo fanboy before anyone calls me out.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I used to hate Jobs presentations, but there's no doubt he was a master at them. marc^o^ you've done a great job here and anyone who thought this was written from scratch is insane. It was perfectly obvious what you did and it's masterful work. Quite honestly, reading it makes me want a Wii U more than anything Nintendo has done. Love how you structured it too, feels like it's hitting the right notes at the right time.

I'm with you. It was a well-crafted script.

I can't believe I read the whole thing.

Would Steve really rush though each game? Your story gives the impression he gives the products 10 seconds of exposure before moving on to the next thing.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious the OP has a pretty basic grasp on what made Jobs a great presenter. No way in hell he'd blow everything like that. OP awkwardly copy-pasted random sections of Jobs' presentations and added Nintendo words with no ear for pacing. Pick and choose random paragraphs and you can easily imagine a lot of it coming from Jobs' mouth, but if you actually filmed the presentation based on this script it would seem amateurish.

And everything the OP wrote himself is pretty bad, a lot of it lack confidence in an awkward way. "It’s called Nintendo Land and it’s probably one of the more fun games you will play on the show floor of E3." Somehow I can't imagine Jobs saying "This is the iPad, and it's probably one of the better tablets you'll see today."

Mxrz

This is some embarrassing stuff. Even moreso that it seems like copy/pasta bits of a keynote with Nintendo edited in.

Jack Tretton: It's a great honor to introduce our next guest. He is a world-renowned autho—

Ernest Hemingway: That's unnecessary, Jack. An introduction from you is an insult.

*Tretton shrinks away*

9WMdl.jpg

But gaf saves the thread!

Lebron

Well, just when I thought I've seen everything on GAF. It would have been more amazing if the OP actually wrote a speech, instead of copy/pasting Jobs old speech and adding in Nintendo instead of Apple.

Grade: F for plagiarism

The parodies are amazing, though.

this was pretty cool. I could see Jobs doing it exactly like this. I don't know if he would have used the produc ton stage though... maybe he would have.

This is amazing. Unsarcastically so!

Someone with the know-how should make a .gif of when he bobs his shoulders during the "Get down girl go'n get down" parts.

But that's not really the OP right? I feel like the joke is going over my head. I guess it's that that guy is lip syncing, and the OP plagiarized?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I don't get the hate against the OP nor the length. It wasn't THAT long come on. I don't give a crap about Nintendo or Wii U, and I found it enjoyable. Everything seems a little bit more magical when presented with the Steve Jobs style...

I liked your post, OP.

I'm with you. It was a well-crafted script.

this was pretty cool. I could see Jobs doing it exactly like this. I don't know if he would have used the produc ton stage though... maybe he would have.
Thanks guys.

MarkusRJR

I just read the first post and I got really confused. Who would spend so much time writing something as strange as this? It's like a bad fanfic.

Then I go and see his post history. Everything is like Nintendo PR. No negative comments towards anything Nintendo does, and constant damage control. Honestly, the OP should just work for Nintendo as a PR rep... if he doesn't already. At the very least he's much better than the guys they have now.

This is quite possibly the biggest Nintendo fanboy I've ever seen. I am in shock. *horrified*

ghostmind

MDQb5.jpg

Good morning.

I'm here to talk with you today about the WiiU, a new paradigm so exciting, so revolutionary, that only our talented team here at Micro- I mean Nintendo, could have made it a reality.

Instead of going into details on the hardware today, we have put together a special treat for you. Please welcome, the tweet choir!

SHQs4.jpg

That was just another amazing example of how we at Nintendo "get" the Internet, and the emerging Web 2.0 marketplace.

However, as revolutionary as our new WiiU technology is, our success depends on the most important element of all...

xXHOW.gif

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS

Now that I have made you all feel uncomfortable, and some of you scared, I invite you to check out the show floor for all of our new offerings for this revolutionary new platform.

yng2e.jpg

Row

Banned
Given how the Wii U looks you'll probably also have lots of time in the future to work on your fan fiction

snesfreak

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/MDQb5.jpg[IMG]

Good morning.

I'm here to talk with you today about the WiiU, a new paradigm so exciting, so revolutionary, that only our talented team here at Micro- I mean Nintendo, could have made it a reality.

Instead of going into details on the hardware today, we have put together a special treat for you. Please welcome, the tweet choir!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/SHQs4.jpg[IMG]

That was just another amazing example of how we at Nintendo "get" the Internet, and the emerging Web 2.0 marketplace.

However, as revolutionary as our new WiiU technology is, our success depends on the most important element of all...

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xXHOW.gif[IMG]

Now that I have made you all feel uncomfortable, and some of you scared, I invite you to check out the show floor for all of our new offerings for this revolutionary new platform.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/yng2e.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I laughed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom