• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Switch Game Boxes should be? Home console-ish or portable-ish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

butman

I found this mockups and i was thinking how Nintendo will do this time now that the console is an hybrid.

3DS
IM5PUyg.png

WiiU
ZABHRLH.png

Home Console or Portable boxes?
I'll go for the 3DS one. Remember that the cartdrige is back baby!

That Vita style box doesn't seem to be the one I know. EDIT: Oh you scoundrel, you edited :mad:

But whatever, I hope they go Vita style.
Small boxes for small cartridges. Since they don't put in manuals anway they should also be as flat as possible.

Cubas

Maybe a bit bigger than Vita boxes. It's a cartridge based system so it makes no sense for the boxes to be as big as the Wii ones.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I actually think retail box size will play a big role in mind share for the console's perception. If you see one a smaller box for Madden sitting next to the "full size" DVD/Bluray case for PS4/XBO do you begin to ask why it's smaller, even if the game is exactly the same? Having worked retail before, I can easily see this exact scenario playing out.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Smaller to waste less plastic.

I'd love to go digital there like I do on other systems, but it's tough as Nintendo games go on sale digitally so rarely and native storage is more limited than other consoles.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
We already had this exact thread.

But I want them to be Blu-ray-sized. It's first and foremost a home console (according to Nintendo), so size the boxes appropriately. Small boxes make you think of handheld games.

Vita size
Vita gets to live on due to Nintendo , why you gotta kill vita Sony
;p

The smaller the better to save money X space , but I think they will go Xbox one size at first since it's being pushed as a home console

Branduil

I have a feeling they'll go with BD size cases since they don't want to create the impression that these are inferior or lesser versions of games, but rather full console games that you can also play on the go.

Neff

Game Boy-sized cardboard boxes, please.

I have a feeling they'll go with BD size cases since they don't want to create the impression that these are inferior or lesser versions of games, but rather full console games that you can also play on the go.

Okay, make that SNES-sized.

Phoenixus

Bluray size would be ideal, especially if they're trying to go for parity games-wise with the other consoles' third party support.

Branduil

Literally no reason to have Wii U sized boxes for tiny carts.

Wii U are DVD sized, right? I don't think they'll be that big, but I do think they'll be at least BD sized. There's a psychological aspect here, where Nintendo wants the Switch to be viewed as a home console that happens to be portable.

Reki

While small boxes can mean savings in plastic and improve the quantity you can ship with the same transport, it can also make consumers believe it's an "inferior" product when compared to the bigger cases of the competition. Hard to say, but I think they will probably use something like the 3DS cases.

wrowa

You got to appreciate that this OP has (some of) the same images in it that the last one that got closed had.

joms5

No reason to have cases much larger than the disc for BD games either, but we do. It signals something on the shelf next to the portable games.

There is though. Thing is, it's not a practical reason. Perceived value for the consumer.

You could probably sell a Blu Ray in a rigid sleeve without cover art but don't expect to get $25 for a new release.

More on topic: Why not similar boxes to DS and 3DS? I've always thought the Vita boxes felt cheap. Very flimsy.

Nicky Ali

Portable design is better for the environment anyway!

Sidenote: Those mockup designs of the Breath of the Wild boxart look so much better than the actual confirmed Wii U boxart

foltzie1

3DS (which have a similar width to DVD and Blu-Ray boxes) sized boxes will play nice with existing retail shelving.

Anything that isn't similar in sized to a DVD or Blu-Ray screws with retail in a way probably wipes out any value from using a smaller box.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I can't believe we've had multiple threads on the game boxes of Switch. I hope they are the same size as PC games of old.

I think they should go back to the landscape oriented boxes like with the SNES and N64. It would differentiate them from disc boxes and also from their portable boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom