• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should or could Microsoft’s Nextbox be a hybrid?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
With news of upcoming switch 2 and recent popularity of the steam deck / ROG ally and now the legion 2 all being hybrid handhelds do you think Microsoft’s next system may be a hybrid handheld?

Think outside the box a second. The traditional consoles space is tough for Microsoft. Having two systems is also limiting for developers.

What if the reason there is no series x pro is because they are investing all that r&D into a hybrid system.

The current mobiles ROG/legion and more coming already have a cpu that outclasses the consoles. The GPU’s are closing the gap pretty fast with new SOC solutions.

Imagine a mobile 1080p/60 handheld device with 3 hours battery life in demanding games
And a dock that supports 4k/120 even if it’s FSR
And easily replaceable ssd solution and 12-16gb ram

Imagine for a second that Microsoft isn’t afraid to lose a little in the costs to establish a base and that they release it as a 499.99 or 599.99 hybrid.

The now have the game studios to support consistent titles and the ip’s to leverage.

If done properly they might really put pressure on Nintendo in the portable space and make inroads into Japan.

I don’t believe Sony wants to go that road and are happy with bigger consoles but I think Microsoft might actually benefit from this design especially going forward.

I don’t think on paper it will match the ps6 in specs but I don’t think they need to. The form factor portability and having access to a massive slew of IP’s and game pass would be a real incentive for gamers?

Do you all think it’s plausible for Microsoft to shift into a hybrid going forward and would it help or hurt them in the long run?

Last edited:
Not sure you thought this through.

Almost every Xbox game is on PC as well. So why would you buy an Xbox hybrid that could only play Xbox games instead of a PC handheld that could play the lionshare of the entire PC catalog.

And if this ran windows, they wouldn't get royalties for game development, so it would have to be extremely expensive and it wouldn't be an Xbox at that point. It would just be another steamdeck. So not sure how the Xbox ecosystem benefits from this.

0/10

Markio128

I’m not sure MS do the outside of the box thing. Unless what’s outside the box is an acquisition of a large publisher, or a subscription service.

Chukhopops

I don’t see the point of this when there are so many hybrids playing PC games already, MS already benefits from those since it’s a large publisher on Steam, has its own store and GP available on all those handheld PCs.

They would only lose money on the hardware basically.

StueyDuck

If they didn't like competing with Sony, going up against Nintendo is a whole different game.

They will stick to home consoles, I see the "steambox" style PC/console being an eventuality at MS in the future.

tr1p1ex

Doubt it happens. Seems too expensive. And feels like the people who get Xbox/PS want the best graphics for the price which isn't what a handheld delivers.

AT the same time, never know when the market might change or is changing. You have to ask yourself is there really a sea change going on here or not. IF so then you have a realistic possibility.

but how much of this thought and the recent pc gaming handheld trend merely a copycast response to the Switch's success?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
As someone who has always had an Xbox since the original, it saddens me to say this; but I think the days of fixed console hardware from Microsoft may be numbered. It’s clear that they are pushing subscription services and they just don’t seem to be hitting it out of the park with big releases (minus Starfield). It’s going to get harder and harder to convince the higher ups the that hardware is the way to go.

I don’t think a hybrid console will work either if games are just going to be on Steam Deck as well.

Think outside the box a second. The traditional consoles space is tough for Microsoft. Having two systems is also limiting for developers.
Asks question about Xbox... demands thinking outside the box... outside.. the box ..

Always Sunny Fx GIF

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Nah but at some point I can see them adding a Xbox api set to windows to be able to play the games directly. So maybe that way..

I mean, if they can make the series s smaller in two years. Put a damn 1080p lcd screen on it and still sell it for 299. Be bout the size as a steam deck. I’m sure ppl will buy that. Just think of playing all the newest games and all your Xbox 360 games. Hell do cloud gaming also. I promise if they could. I believe they would. Just really depends if they can improve how much energy it draws and how big the battery they can put in it. The Xbox series H. The H stand for hybrid, play it handheld or connect it to the tv and it pretty much a series s then.

Dcr1d3r

I don't know about a hybrid system, but what MS need to do is get right back to basics and focus on what made the 360 such a standout (apart from the rlod) console....kickass exclusives and console shifting new ip's

I'm not even sure what they can do to salvage the brand at this point. I've owned every iteration up to Series X, which will be my last. Halo is ruined, Starfield missed its mark, there's no VR, and Playstation has a seemingly endless stream of incredible first party games. Nintendo releasing a PS4 caliber Switch will be the final nail in the coffin I think.

Crazy to think how far the brand has fallen since the 360 days.

It would be a no brainier given the popularity of the switch.

APU in the main screened device and a more powerful external GPU in the dock. They already did something similar with their surface devices. It’s clear at this point a substantial number of people like the flexibility offered via a handheld device. There is literally no reason that everyone can’t be catered to.

It would at least set the Xbox apart from PlayStation. At the moment Xbox doesn’t have much of an identity.

L*][*N*K

Banned
Throw in the towel Phil, you can be the biggest game company in the world you just don’t need a console

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
New thread idea: What if E.T. on the Atari sold gangbusters and technological development traveled along a different course as a result, current gen consoles are still cartridge based, but the hardware can now levitate. Discuss.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im inclined to believe that Xbox series consoles are their last consoles.

OR their next console will be priced much higher such that they're not losing money.

Top Bottom