• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"How the fuck was I supposed to know that" moments in video games

Getting the A ending in Valkyrie Profile. It's such a beautiful, brilliant game, with the one big flaw of it being extremely counterintuitive to unlock the best ending and some huge chunks of the game's story.

Fucking P.T.

Playing it with some friends who had no idea what the fuck to do for about 3 hours. Luckily i'm a GAF member and rescued them from their sorrows

mcz117chief

dark souls. After I got out of the prison, and got to fire link shrine, I kept going downstairs and running into these skeletons that kept respawning after I killed them. I wasn't really feeling the game anyway so I deleted it. I was watching a walkthrough a few months later and apparently I was supposed to walk around a ledge and go the opposite way to continue on.

How the fuck was I supposed to know that

Also the way to kill the skeletons required a special weapon that I couldn't get until later on.

How the fuck was I supposed to know that

Im not asking for hand holding, but at least give me some indication of whats going on

I had the same problem, but I realised I was going the wrong direction when I reached the orange wall, then I looked on the internet to see WTF is going on. Yup, I got all the way through Valley of Giants on my 1st playthrough with the most basic character :D

sphinx

the piano man
at least one event in every chapter Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, which I am playing right now.

it feels like they do it to encourage multiple playthroughs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You know, having finally finished the original Castlevania Lords of Shadow I'm inclined to say that there are a LOT of sections that fit this thread in that game. Far too many times I was left uncertain how to proceed due to some obscure action you needed to perform.

I've never played an old-school Sonic before, but let me guess: the "obstacle" is actually part of the background and you could just drop there? :p
No, not at all. That stupid spinning drum thing is the issue and you need to get below it.

Maybe just a side effect of being a kid at the time, but using magic powder on the pots to open the grotto dungeon in Link's Awakening.

Someone else figured it out for me.

This pre-dated GameFAQs, so no getting help from the primitive internet at the time.

MauMau

Banned
"Don't open this, this and that treasure chest in the first 10 minutes of the game if you want the best weapon at the end of the game."

...............WTF FFXII....

Oh god, FF 6 does this. Thankfully in FF 6 the items aren't that important.

DJ_Lae

Tales games and their sidequests. I remember following a walkthrough on my second playthrough of Vesperia and wondering who on earth thought it was a good idea as well as who figured it out in the first place.

Sidequests generally involve talking to people repeatedly, in areas you've long since passed by and have no other reason to visit, in sequences that make no logical sense.

1rhPwpF.jpg

the thread.

I keep seeing people mention this but I passed this part easily as a kid, I don't even get what was so complicated about it? Or maybe I'm just a gaming god :shrugs:

As for the OP, this has happened to me A LOT in the 2D Zelda games, and a lot of the puzzles in the first Silent Hill were just pure WTF.

Earthen Peak in Dark Souls II... -_-

I remember the first time approaching the windmill there. I summoned a player to help me through the area and he grabbed a torch trying to point me in the right direction. I had no idea what he wanted me to do and I eventually figured that I was supposed to jump off.

I was wrong.

shockdude

Burnout Paradise.

If you're in a single-player race and it's clear you're going to lose, you'll quickly notice that there is no menu option to quit the race. You have to finish the race no matter how far away you are.

That is, unless you just so happened to know that you can quit an event by parking your car for 5 seconds. IIRC the game never tells you about this trick; you had to have done research online to know about it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
How the fuck was I supposed to know that I'm not supposed to attack the scorpion when it says "ATTACK WHILE ITS TAIL IS UP"

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Carnival Night zone is full of barrels like this. You jump on them, they go down a little then raise back up. Sonic is a pretty simple game when you get down it, you do everything but jumping on it, spindashing, or running.

So SUDDENLY

you're in this vertical room with a really high ceiling and one barrel, so you assume, "OK, I'll just jump on it up and down, that's what the whole game has been teaching me is the main mode of interacting with the environment". You can do that til your time runs out and game overs, if you like. It goes up and down when you jump on it like ALL THE OTHER BARRELS IN THE STAGE, this seems like what they want me to do, right?

What you're ACTUALLY suppose to do is press up and down while standing on the barrel. Because for some reason you can control the barrel by standing on top of it? Something the game has given you zero indication is a thing you could do, and will never use the d-pad method for any other set piece/environmental interaction again as far as I can recall?

Its just...there's no in-game logic like Sonic maybe pulling a lever like an elevator, no precedent set by previous Sonic games and their respective level design and game mechanics...its just fuckin' bizarre game design.

This is the best way of putting it. Everything up to that point leads you to believe that it should work in a different way, and it does basically nothing to indicate what you need to do (except move the barrel very slightly if you do end up pressing up or down)

To think that such a horrible idea came from Sonic Team... it's amazing really.

RagnarokX

PT really shouldn't count, guys. The stuff you gotta do to "beat" it isn't meant to be "solvable". They just made it so that eventually someone would trigger the ending at random. They didn't expect anyone to stumble on it as quickly as they did.

The barrel in Sonic 3, however, is a great example. That made no sense.

Manu

Earthen Peak in Dark Souls II... -_-

I couldn't figure out how to kill the snake lady before the poison killed me, I was convinced it was a race against time thing. So I summoned two players to help me do it.

We were almost at the boss gate when they stopped following me and guided me all the way back to the bonfire to show me how to do the windmill thing.

I still remember them cheering when I did it, lol

Respect

Man, digging deep here. I think the game was called Brandish for SNES, top down RPG, Zelda like. In the 4th world, there was a point I think you needed to find a hidden wall...was stuck forever, had to call the company and have the guide sent over, after a couple weeks we got it and were finally able to progress. It is hazy since it was 20+ years ago, but I think that was the gist of it.

Zatoth

Can somebody explain these? Don't get it, sorry.

Only know about the Metal Gear Solid one.

You are told to contact someone with the radio and you should look for the needed frequency on the back of the CD case.

You have to look at the actual CD case of the game and not some item within the game.

The forced first person sections of Other M where you're supposed to point at a something specific. There's one in particular where you're supposed to spot a green stain on the ground but because the textures are so muddy it didn't look out of place.

MattyG

Banned
Yup, absolutely PT. I guess it was kind of intentional though, probably to get the internet to come together to solve it and build more interest in the game.

The character Pip in Chrono Cross.

The game at no time tells you or even hints that depending the the Elements you use in battle and how many times Pip or party members use them, Pip will evolve twice into more powerful verisons of himself. I found this out entirely by accident when I played the game and was shocked when he suddenly exploded mid-battle and looked like a chubby little angel.

Can somebody explain these? Don't get it, sorry.

Sonic 3 barrel: you have to stand on it and press up and down to throw sonic's momentum up and down to move the barrel, however no where in sonic 1,2 or 3 uses this method of control apart from looking up and down with the camera, jumping on the barrel also made it bounce up and down so it was really confusing.

MGS: you have to contact meryl at one point in the game, you have no number to contact her but you do get told to look at the back of the box for clues.

He should eventually, in both games. Also, I think if you die 3 or 4 times he'll call you and tell you to shoot the busts of mantis on the side of the room, instead.

Sixteen years later and I'm still discovering new things about MGS. Never knew about this. Always just did the second-port trick.

In most mgs games they would tell you alot if you pestered them alot

The thing is, I remember Baker telling me the back of the CD case... but it was so outside of the box, I was playing the game looking for a CD case. My inventory even had something (forget what) at the time that looked like a CD case and I kept trying to use it.

The only other game I was ever exposed to that had something so 4th wall breaking was Star Tropics and having to have the original manual/paper to drop a page into water to reveal the code... But even then, there was so much time between those two games it never came to me that I was LITERALLY being told the answer.

Top Bottom