• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How To Deal With Hotlinkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

swoon

my blog - prewarblues.blogspot.com does fairly well for what it is - a mp3 blog about pre-war blues. i get a 80 gigs of transfer space off my roomate server for free, and previous months i've only gone through 35-40 gig a month. this month was a little bit high because of a special event two weeks ago, so i was running about 40.

last friday, i got my normal friday hits, but transfer'd 25 gigs in a day (which i didn't notice cause i only look at hits) and my server is down now. looking at the useage log, no domain name has been downloading that much and really i can't find where the bandwidth went? i'm guessing hotlinking, which hadn't been disabled (it's disabled now). is there any other reason for that bandwidth to go "missing?"

ChrisReid

Could've been mentioned somewhere popular and had a million extra people visit to download whatever it is you serve. Or hotlinking.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
IT WAS FORTNINETY!! GET 'EM BOYS!!!!

:lol

but seriously.. yeah.. either program a script that prevents hot linking or if you are using apache use a .htaccess file.

borghe said:
IT WAS FORTNINETY!! GET 'EM BOYS!!!!

:lol

but seriously.. yeah.. either program a script that prevents hot linking or if you are using apache use a .htaccess file.

I just realized that what I wrote is verbatim what those jack-asses from online poker sites say when they spam my blog! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom