• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to do Cable Management |OT| Unravel the Possibilities

With the holidays coming up and people getting new devices or having time off, this seems like a good time to start this discussion.

Cable management is a task that can be hard to do for many people. It ranges from being tedious, it takes too long, it's hard to maintain, or just not knowing the best way to go about it. I myself have tried it many times and have often failed. Even after getting something that looked okay, over time it starts to fall apart. I tried to tie things together, label cables so I knew what each cable was, and even color code some of them so it would be easy to spot what was going where. This was the result of what happened years after my first attempt.

EgYgrGS.jpg

About a year ago, I had to completely tear down my setup and rewire it from scratch due to a move. That gave me the opportunity to take another serious stab at getting things under control and I think this time I've finally accomplished it. I'm going to share the things I learned and the things I used to help get things in order.

1) The first and most expensive thing to do is bite the bullet and throw out almost every cable you can that is replaceable. This really was the biggest key thing I did. I typically used cables that came with devices and systems or stuff I had laying around from the past. Stop doing that. Instead of using all these cables of varying length, carefully measure how long of a cable you need and buy a cable of that length or the closest length to that measurement. Monoprice is a great place to get cables that match in style and come in a wide assortment of lengths. I've personally become a fan of these slim style HDMI cables.

You can find Monoprice's Ultra Slim HDMI cables here:

http://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/hdmi-cables/ultra-slim-series-hdmi-cables

What this accomplishes is you don't have all this excess cable that needs to be tied up, bundled, or tucked away. Doing so makes it harder to maintain and just adds to the mess back there. Having cables that are almost the exact length makes it so you pretty much have a straight line going from one point to another. There were times during this process that I miscalculated and bought a cable that was too long by about a foot, but instead of using it, I stuck to this principle and got the right length cable. I find this to be extremely key to making it work. The most likely cables that fall in this scenario will be HDMI, network, and USB cables.

2) Buy a velcro roll. Something like this.

You can find the one I used here:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004AF9II6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Instead of using twist ties or even zip ties, get a roll of this and cut the strips as you need them. It holds really well, is flexible, and easy to maintain if you make a mistake or need to change something. Use it liberally to bunch cables together that run along the same path. You'll see how I use them often below.

3) Get neoprene sleeves to hold cables neatly together. I use two types in my setup. The first is this long one that has slots along the length. This is great because it lets you bundle the cables all along the back of your setup, while allowing you to have cables that come out at any given point along the line rather than being stuck to just either end being open. One thing to look out for is the one I got has velcro straps embedded inside. I can't stress enough how this helps a lot. This helps by holding the cables in place inside which is key when you're trying to lay cables along the long sleeve. It's way easier than velcro tying them yourself and trying to lay it inside because any movement can push the cable out while you're trying to lay it all down. So securing it inside will help a lot.

511vXJPQDUL._SL1000_.jpg

513ceXzrABL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SHLKFTA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The second neoprene sleeve I used is these shorter ones where it doesn't matter about hooking up to things along the way. This is just more a way to bundle cables neatly and getting from one point to another.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015HWXG4M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The way I utilize both of these is I use the shorter sleeves without slots to run HDMI, network cables, speaker cables, etc between my AV Receiver and my TV stand. In fact, because there are so many cables going between the two, I actually have to use two that I put next to each other in parallel. For my setup, I have a little stand that is to the right of my main TV stand. If you see below, you'll see how I use those to run cables between there, and once I get to my stand, I switch to the longer slotted sleeves above. I run one right into the other and then use the velcro strips to tie them together.

4) Attach labels to cables to make it easier to know what cable goes where. This is really helpful with power cables in case you need to unplug something. I also like color coding cables to make them easily identifiable because of their color.

5) Try not to connect one device at a time. Lay out your cables in groups of what type of cables they are. For example, I did all the power cords first. Then I did all the Ethernet cables. Then I did all the HDMI. Doing so makes it easier to keep it neat compared to doing it by device which will have all sorts of different cables and needs. With doing similar style cables, you apply the same process to each cable and you do it all at once.

So here's what it looks like when it all comes together. First off, this is the list of cables I'm managing. One thing to note is for systems that have external power bricks like the Xbox One or Xbox 360, I count that as two things. So it'll have a Power Cord and a Power Brick as separate entries on the list below.

12 HDMI
10 Ethernet
5 Speaker Wire
1 Coax Sub
2 HDMI Switches
5 Power Bricks
10 Power Cords
5 AC Adapters
1 PS4 Camera
1 Kinect 2 Camera
1 USB Cable to Hub
1 USB Hub
2 USB HDD cables
1 TV -> Receiver Link cable
1 USB LEGO Dimension
1 USB Disney Infinity
1 USB PSVR
1 USB Dongle Sony Gold Headset
1 Chromecast
2 Power Strips w/ Cables

Now on to the pics with a bit more detail. I've left them at full resolution so you can see close up how some things are done. So click on the quoted pictures in order to get a bigger view.

Here is looking down from the left side of the TV. You can get an idea of what all the cables look like in the second pic as it goes down the entire wall. On this side is one of the two bulk cable areas. I zoomed in so you can see that it's as chaotic as it looks from the more zoomed out view. In case you're curious, the device behind the TV is not my network switch or router. That's just an access point and the only reason I added that was so that I could get really fast 802.11ac speeds in that room. My main router covers the whole house with good Wi-Fi speed for Internet but if I want to do file transfers to my local server, I appreciate trying to max out the speed. This also has one of the two power strips.

This just a view from the other side as well as a close up of the other power strip in my setup.

Here is what it looks like behind my receiver which really is the central nervous system of the whole setup. That so far is the neatest I can make it, and I'm still trying to find ways to improve it. The white cables are all the speaker cables and then other zoomed in shot going to the right side of my receiver is the HDMI, and cables running to the PS4 and Xbox One. Now the cables on the left side of those zoomed in pics coming from the PS4 may look messy and chaotic, but look at the next two pics...

As you can see all the cables coming off the PS4 are virtually invisible when looking at it. Not a single cable drops down to be in view above the Xbox One.

Finally, for good measure, here's where my network switch rests underneath the stand as well as my PSVR Processor Unit. Every device is wired and I don't use Wi-Fi unless a device doesn't have an Ethernet port.

So that's what I accomplished a year ago and I've gotten it to a point where I'm not sure how much more I can improve it without going into the walls. I think it's a huge step up from what I had before. I decided to post this now since I got around to integrating the PS4 Pro and PSVR into it. I'm still looking at ways of making it look cleaner and neater. One thing I'm considering is getting a neoprene sleeve that says you can cut it to length so I can wrap any of the remaining exposed cables. At that point it should just look like black tubes/bars running around with almost no exposed cables. It may be silly, but I still even take a look at it every now and then and admire the work. I'm not looking forward to integrating the Switch, and most definitely not looking forward to replacing the TV and AV Receiver to upgrade to 4K and HDR which would cause me to tear that all apart.

It should be noted that while cable management might cost more money to do it right, having it so neat comes at a cost beyond money. Cable management is a fragile beast. Any time you want to add, change, or remove something can take a long time to do because of how tied down things can be. So before you do anything, be sure to plan and think things out. I already made a mistake while trying to do PSVR and PS4 Pro that cost me a few hours to do and then undo.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas as well as interested in hearing what other people have done. Hopefully this will even inspire some of you to clean up your wires and make things a tad neater. It can be done, it just takes a little planning and patience. It's worth it.

How long did it take you to get it all done? It looks great, and this is something I really should get on top of, but the amount of work feels daunting.

enewtabie

I used cable clips and 3m adhesive to hide my wires under my desk. I didn't want anything showing on the ground.It's the best I could do with this desk that didn't have much room for hiding wires.

Cable clips. Pick some up off Amazon..Makes your life easy.

HvySky

Subbed. I have a poor man's imitation of your setup but once I move next year I'm planning on going all out with the organization and management. Thanks for the awesome thread!

How long did it take you to get it all done? It looks great, and this is something I really should get on top of, but the amount of work feels daunting.

I won't lie, it took awhile. I split the work over five days, which reminds me of something I need to add to the OP. The first day was research, so you can throw that out if this thread helps with that. The second day was planning how I was going to lay everything out, measuring, and buying all the cables I needed online. The third day was the first day of actually doing something. On the third day I laid out all the power cables. I don't recall exactly how long it took, but it took a few hours. The fourth day I laid out all the HDMI and Ethernet cables which took around 4.5 to 5 hours to do. The fifth day was adding the misc stuff like PS4 Camera, Kinect, USB, etc. That also took several hours. Patience is something that's needed and do it in stages otherwise it might feel overwhelming to try and get it all done at once.

The thing I remembered to add to the OP is lay things out in categories, not by device. So like I mentioned above, I did all the power first. Then I believe I did all the networking, and then I did all the HDMI. It seemed easier when you're laying out similar cables at the same time.

ColdPizza

Banned
I also highly recommend these guys...

adhesive-cable-base.jpg

Adhesive on the flat side lets you stick to the back or underside of cabinets. Zip ties slide through the base mount and you can create your own loops.

p.s. subbed

Dirca

I also highly recommend these guys...

adhesive-cable-base.jpg

Adhesive on the flat side lets you stick to the back or underside of cabinets. Zip ties slide through the base mount and you can create your own loops.

p.s. subbed
I work in electrical maintenance. I'll endorse these as they are a God send.

Subbed for reference. There are some great ideas in here I need to use.

Subbed. That first pic is my whole adult life.

Subbed. I have a poor man's imitation of your setup but once I move next year I'm planning on going all out with the organization and management. Thanks for the awesome thread!

My girlfriend made me subscribe to this thread.

Subbing. I need to do this.

Subscribed.

*loads up Amazon*

Subbed as well. Great job with the clean up. I want to do the same this Thanksgiving.

^ This.

You the man, OP. Plan on moving in with my girlfriend next year and I want to be a cable king. This thread is a gift!

Kyne

Great thread. I just moved so this has pretty much been my life for the last 2 months. I'll post pics of my setup later.

These really helped for my desk. You can get them from Ikea:

ikea-ikea-signum-cable-management-__1364310128700-s4.jpg

I used to be a cable management freak. Then depression came. I suppose I can be glad I still lift that nest made of cables to vacuum under it.

Magwik

Banned
Great thread. I just moved so this has pretty much been my life for the last 2 months. I'll post pics of my setup later.

These really helped for my desk. You can get them from Ikea:

ikea-ikea-signum-cable-management-__1364310128700-s4.jpg
Yep I moved in October and my computer setup is a mess lol

Heh, I hope anyone who saw my posts about the rear USB on the PS4 Pro was my number one reason for getting one can tell I was being serious and understand why now =)

Having the right length of cables really is 80% of the struggle

Yep, this really is the key to everything. It's definitely a hurdle to overcome that you're buying new cables despite having cables for everything already. Once you get past that, it really is the key to everything. It probably cost me about $100 in cables plus the other materials which are about $10 for a pack of sleeves and a few bucks for the velcro.

Can you take a pic of your whole center head on?

I plan to. Heh, entremet has been asking me to do so. Hopefully I'll have time over the holiday to take some shots.

Are you willing to come to Canada to do that for me?

:p

Sure, if you pay for expenses and it's a nice place like Vancouver =)

Whoa. Thank you OP! I need to do this!

Nice thread, Marty ;)

OP, really well done, especially considering the sheer volume of cables you have.

Subbed as well. Great job with the clean up. I want to do the same this Thanksgiving.

Thanks everyone. Hopefully some people will take a stab at it and post their results here.

Here's a couple in progress shots that I took last year.

This one is just power cables only.

This one is adding HDMI and network cables. You can see before the black bar just kind of stopped where the network switch was. This was before I added the second sleeve to extend out for speaker wires, subwoofer, etc. It's also pre Access Point.

Not the best pic of this, but since there's a gap between the TV stand and the shelf with the receiver, the neoprene sleeve makes it look like a single black bar that just runs between it rather than a mess of wires. This shot was a work in progress, but now, it's flush to the ground , and even though there's another one running parallel, you can't tell when you look at it from the front. A good compromise without going into the wall and still having it look clean.

Ohhhhhhhhhh pretty!

How much of a pain in the ass is it if you need to remove a single cable from the bundle?

It's slightly tedious/time consuming if you're being careful about it. Since I velcro wrap the cables at multiple points, I try to undo one velcro strap, pull out the cable and then reapply the velcro strap to that section before moving on to the next velcro strap. I'm just paranoid of it all coming undone or making a big mess if I don't do it this way. So depending how far down the line and how many times you tied down the cable will really determine how much of a pain in the ass.

For example, for PSVR, I had to remove one HDMI cable, add in two HDMI cables, add in the USB, and add in the power adapter. That took at least 90 min to do, but it also was a series of stages. Like unplug stuff, rehook up with all the cables loose and not in place to make sure everything still works, and then unplug them again to wire them properly.

Unfortunately, I goofed and there was a flaw in the wiring because I tried to funnel all game systems to the PSVR as an option, but that didn't work because you would need to turn on the PS4 in order to wake up the Processor Unit, so all the other game systems couldn't get a video signal unless I did that. As a result, it took me an hour to undo the way I routed the HDMI. Finally, it took me about another hour to do it properly once the new HDMI cables arrived to fit the fixed layout. So I spent almost 4 hours on that, but it really should have been about 90 min =)

Also it'll depend how much space you have to work with behind everything. It's a bit of a tight fit, so that makes it go slower because I have reach in weird ways to get to some of those velcro strips. Totally worth it though.

Just finished this project coincidentally enough.

Before (PC for main TV, poor ventilation, a horrible mess of cables, a Bluray player we don't use anymore (our movies are ripped), a WiiU that's being put out to pasture, external hard drives, and random other stuff thrown in there over time... the electrical setup is also likely not good :))

I got an idea from Pinterest to set up some panels with perforated metal sheets instead of panels. So I took a Besta frame from IKEA and recreated the side panels and doors (the top and bottom of the frame is still from the IKEA frame):

It was also great to be able to redo the cabling from scratch, including a hole in the bottom through which to feed Vive connector box cables. USB cables and power cables have also been labeled so I know which external hard drive it belongs to (the external hard drives are now behind the PC (with enough breathing room):

Kyne

Bump for all you people with new tvs and new consoles.

This kind of cord organizer can be used for single cords. I used it for a clock that I hung (see below). It's adhesive so it sticks to the wall, and you slip the cords in via a small slit in the base.

This I used to deal with hanging cords that will probably be changed out constantly depending on how I situation the wall organizer. You'll barely notice it in the bottom left hand corner.

This can be used for several cords (I believe this one can hold up to 5). You can also paint over it really easily to match your wall. You mount the bottom base first and then the top one just snaps on.

As I previously mentioned this is what I used for under my desk. Almost hides the cables at any angle.

Here's a request for some cable management. I just purchased a condo and the only realistic place to put a TV is above a fireplace. I know you're not supposed to hang a TV at a higher level than your eyes when seated, so I picked up one of these things from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IITPJT6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And here's a reference of the space I have to work with:

I would like to be able to hang it above the fireplace without the cables being shown. In the two bottom cabinets there are power outlets (and the right one has Ethernet) so that is where I will be keeping my PC, and running cords to consoles out on some the shelves (unless I decide to keep them also in the cabinet. How would some of y'all accomplish this?

Nice idea for a thread. Been thinking about designing and building a new entertainment center that would revolve around this very subject.

I should probably do that with my PC cables... Along with getting at least a partially modular PSU when the time comes for me to replace my current one. The case is cramped as it is so having a bunch of unused cables doesn't help.

I really should work on managing all of my cables. Almost everything was setup back when I didn't care about cable management and now I'm just not able to muster the will to spend the time to clean it up especially since everything is hidden from view behind a big sofa and my desk. Might not be until I get a new desk/sofa and/or move that I will actually clean everything up.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Very, very cool thread! Subscribed.
I've always felt the community needed something like this. Way to go!

This kind of cord organizer can be used for single cords. I used it for a clock that I hung (see below). It's adhesive so it sticks to the wall, and you slip the cords in via a small slit in the base.

This I used to deal with hanging cords that will probably be changed out constantly depending on how I situation the wall organizer. You'll barely notice it in the bottom left hand corner.

This can be used for several cords (I believe this one can hold up to 5). You can also paint over it really easily to match your wall. You mount the bottom base first and then the top one just snaps on.

As I previously mentioned this is what I used for under my desk. Almost hides the cables at any angle.

Sexy af. Where did you get the desk and TV stand?

redlegs87

Will be getting a new desk this week & with this thread I just ordered some of the equipment needed to do just this I can't wait. Subbed.

Your room looks like it was ripped straight from an IKEA showroom.

Kyne

Sexy af. Where did you get the desk and TV stand?

Ikea. Both the desk and stand were part of a modular set so I basically took different parts and put them together exactly how I wanted.

Your room looks like it was ripped straight from an IKEA showroom.

You're not wrong. My apartment is 70% Ikea and 30% Amazon.

After basically living with someone who was polar opposite (colors and stuff everywhere) I knew that I wanted to go for a more minimalist style. It's really easy to clean as well. I'm sure I'll put some color up eventually.

The other side of my living room is a bit more flavorful.. although still black and white.

TBiddy

The part about cables being the right length is a good advice. I've never thought about that. Usually, when I'm hooking up my stuff after moving or just changing my setup, I always start with an ambition of making it awesome. Cue 30 minutes later, and I'm trying desperately to hide several meters of cable behind the tv-stand. :(

Top Bottom