• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to use your PS4 controller as a PC controller

wwm0nkey

Since the controllers are out in the wild and a lot of people are buying them I feel like this would be helpful.

How to pair your device to BT for wireless play:
(MicroUSB required for wired play)

To put the unit in pairing mode you hold Share button (first) + PS button, the unit will start double blinking white LED.

You should then be able to find it under "Add BT Devices".
*credit to Darobga

UPDATE: How to play Xinput/360 controller supported games with DS4!
Has anyone tried this - http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4-To-XInput-Wrapper

Its based on the XInput Wrapper for the DS3 and it seems fairly simple to set up and use.

Video of how it works - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNk36TOQfuk
You can now use your DS4 as a Xinput PC controller!

Z3M0G

When I tried it with FFXIV yesterday some of the buttons were miss mapped... and even though the calibration screen recognized every input, it wouldn't let me go through the calibration process.

Should this help me fix that?

Edit: Share and Options were crossed with L3/R3, Triangle, Circle, and X were mixed up, but Square was still Square. Everything else worked fine by default.

wwm0nkey

When I tried it with FFXIV yesterday some of the buttons were miss mapped... and even though the calibration screen recognized every input, it wouldn't let me go through the calibration process.

Should this help me fix that?

Yes, if you were already using x360ce the new xinput1_3.dll should fix that issue as that was happening to me on Borderlands 2 and Bioshock 2 but that seemed to fix it.

How to pair your device to BT for wireless play:
(MicroUSB required for wired play)

To put the unit in pairing mode you hold Share button (first) + PS button, the unit will start double blinking white LED.

You should then be able to find it under "Add BT Devices".
*credit to Darobga

This sounds so much easier than the bullshit hoops you have to go through with the DS3. Can't wait.

wwm0nkey

Thanks for this. How many games are only 360 controller supported or are most of them open to both platforms?

There are A LOT of xinput games out there. If it says it has controller support its probably going to be xinput so just do the x360ce thing for each game.

Bebpo

Banned
Don't really get why, in this day & age, 1st party controllers can't be plug and play with PC gaming. If X360 can do it, why can't Sony/Nintendo?

satam55

Banned
The Dualshock 4 controller should also work natively via USB or/and bluetooth on Windows (desktop versions), Mac OS X, Ubuntu Linux, Google Chrome OS, iOS, Android Jellybean 4.2.1 & up, and Windows RT.

It won't work on Windows Phone 8, because Windows Phone 8 still doesn't support Bluetooth HID devices. But, It should work on ANY OS or device that supports USB or Bluetooth HID devices.

It looks like Microsoft has made another (minor) mistake of using a proprietary wireless connection & proprietary driver for the Xbox1 controller. The Dualshock 4 is going to be a lot more popular because it can be used on a bunch of devices via USB or Bluetooth.

Orayn

Don't really get why, in this day & age, 1st party controllers can't be plug and play with PC gaming. If X360 can do it, why can't Sony/Nintendo?

DirectInput, despite being about the same as XInput in terms of functionality, is a very broad "standard" that lends itself to lots of different controllers with different layouts and button assignments. XInput, on the other hand, gave devs a consistent layout, a set of icons, and a high quality controller that lots of people wound up buying.

Could DirectInput enjoy a resurgence and a similar level of support if the DualShock 4 becomes popular for use on PC? Maybe. It's worth asking developers about. There might be some slight hurdles in officially adding Playstation button icons to games, but Sony might be cool with it.

Alex

Oddly, my most excited piece of these new consoles launching is that I may eventually get a new controller for my PC.

wwm0nkey

Well X-com and Deus Ex HR DC don't work. Anybody know of some games that this DOES work with?

I got Bioshock 2, Halo 2 and Borderlands 2 working with it. Don't know whats up with DeusEx and Im trying to figure that one out myself since it really should be working

satam55

Banned

Because Xinput is a Proprietary Microsoft driver for the Xbox 360. And Xinput is now the standard used for PC gaming.

In Sonic Generations the controller works but the buttons are switched around. Start is the share button and the X and O button are swapped.

rob305

I thought the ds4 was going to have PC drivers to avoid requiring something like this.

I am disappointed... I guess that just narrows my choice though.

Yeah thought so too since Sony announced themselves that it is supported on the PC. Maybe they'll release drivers on the console release date.

Miguel81

I thought the ds4 was going to have PC drivers to avoid requiring something like this.

I am disappointed... I guess that just narrows my choice though.

It works natively. It's just like the 360 pad, connect it via micro-usb and it shows up. Also, bluetooth is much better than having to buy proprietary dongles. About Xinput, well blame Microsoft for trying to corner the market.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I wonder if XInput Wrapper will be updated to alleviate the need to have x360ce.

Oddly, my most excited piece of these new consoles launching is that I may eventually get a new controller for my PC.
I'm going to hold out for the Steam control, instead of buying a DS4 on its own.

Alasfree

Can someone do me a favor and try it with games that use SDL? Valve games use it and many Humble Bundle games use it as well.

Yeah thought so too since Sony announced themselves that it is supported on the PC. Maybe they'll release drivers on the console release date.

As far as I know, they said nothing of the sort.

When Yoshida was asked about it, he merely said to wait until people had them and see if it worked or not.

wwm0nkey

If people find out how to get this working with Deus EX and other games that wont work for some readon please post here and I will update the OP

S_Dev

Neo Member

I recall that some game was shown at some show with the PS4 controller hooked up to a PC, since the PS4 port was not in showable order, and the dev was quoted saying that the controller and trackpad worked in windows.

scitek

Out of curiosity, does x360ce have trouble with Sleeping Dogs in general? I dont have a PS4 controller, but was having trouble getting it working with my Wii U Pro pad earlier.

TheFrza

Ok...

Even if I don't buy a PS4 this year, the DS4 is so going to be my next PC controller...

It's funny, I just fell in love with the Wii U Pro controller, but I think the DS4 may have earned the crown for my PC gaming controller needs.

Kalnos

Banned
Doesn't seem worth the hassle if it isn't plug and play. I misread the news a while ago and was under the impression they would be.

don't see the point in replacing the xbox 360 controller with this if the developers don't start supporting it natively. i like the analog placement better in the sony controllers and the 360 pad sucks dick but some games are just buggy as shit with controllers and i just feel having to go to trouble to set up this kind of thing for any game that isn't a fighter is just not worth it

Doesn't seem worth the hassle if it isn't plug and play. I misread the news a while ago and was under the impression they would be.

yeah this is shit. it's 2013, it needs to be plug and play.i can understand the older games not working, but if they expect this thing to actually be sold to be used on pcs, they need to make sure it works out of the box with new releases

I wonder if XInput Wrapper will be updated to alleviate the need to have x360ce.

I'm going to hold out for the Steam control, instead of buying a DS4 on its own.

Do you know how to actually use Xinput Wrapper? I've never managed to get it to work. Im just trying to do it via usb, no bluetooth, but I can never get the thing to recognize my ds3.

Edit: Nevermind, I'm a moron, I got it working perfectly.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

It is plug and play, except it doesn't work with games only designed with 360 controller support/Xinput. MS created a proprietary API and devs chose to develop only for it.

yeah this is shit. it's 2013, it needs to be plug and play.i can understand the older games not working, but if they expect this thing to actually be sold to be used on pcs, they need to make sure it works out of the box with new releases
Blame MS for the API and the devs for developing for it. They're the ones that splintered the market.

It's a PC, so there's always workarounds.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Thanks, man. I'm going to pick one up as soon as I find a Gamestop that has one near me, this will be a huge help.

Stimpack

No, just plug it in and it come up as wireless controller. All of the buttons work, as well as sticks and triggers. The only things that don't come up are the trackpad and sixaxis.

I've set it up and put all the files into the folder with the game's .exe and it's not working. I must be doing something wrong?

Blame MS for the API and the devs for developing for it. They're the ones that splintered the market.

It's a PC, so there's always workarounds.

well it's definitely microsoft's fault, but sony has to be the one to go out of their way to make it work and make it easy for the developers to use

Tilian

Banned
I followed everything and the camera in Dark Souls is spinning around and the circle is in place of X. What am I doing wrong?

Does Xinput Wrapper not work with the DS4 like it does with the DS3? The instructions in the OP sound like they have to be followed for each individual game, which sounds like a huge hassle.

Top Bottom