• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will Microsoft respond to Sony's acquisition of Insomniac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Alien

Banned
With all the recent additions to the XBOX Game Studios, Sony pulled a huge move and acquired one of the best available, independent AAA studios.

In November, Microsoft will host XO19. Do you think there will be new studio announcements? If so who?

My personal prediction is 3 new studios announced at XO19:

1) Asobo...recently made Plagues Tale, but partnered with Microsoft in the past on ReCore as well as Kinect and HoloLens games...and apparently are currently working with Microsoft on Flight Simulator 2019.
2) Ready At Dawn...been a rumor floating for a bit. Could be a good fit. They recently opened a new studio space in CA (possibly funded by MS?).
3) Moon Studios...makers of 2 Ori games for XBox. Ori 1 was highest rated exclusive of gen for MS. Would be a quality studio to produce AA content for Game Pass.

Shifty

Something like this, probably:

nod-of-approval.gif

kyoji

care to elaborate more on Ready at dawn? i know this is speculative. but i would think RAD would join sony before MS, considering their relationship. Not to mention there is a heavy rumor thats been going around of a new The Order title.

I don't think we're gonna see as much tit-for-tat like we did in the PS3 vs 360 era.

So to answer the question: Microsoft probably won't respond at all, or they'll offer polite congratulations and "we're all gamers in our hearts, bro" platitudes. But they won't respond by going "oh yeah? Well we just bought THESE GUYS!"

Mikey Jr.

MS and Sony are on 2 different paths.

For Sony and the PS5, these big tentpole AAA game releases works for them. They all sell incredibly well, usually over 10 million and that pushes the Playstation.

For MS and Xbox, gamepass is their main focus. The problem there is that you need a constant drip feed of new content to keep people subbed. Having a big AAA game every 10-12 months doesn't work for that. You'll get people subbed for a month or two, and then bounce until the new first party AAA game goes on gamepass.
Thats why MS is more focused on smaller devs and devs who are maybe in financial trouble. They can buy them for really cheap, and have them create small games that can be made pretty fast and will fufill the drip feed need for gamepass.

So I do not see them purchasing a huge studio to make a big budget game. I think they'll buy 2-3 studios to make a B budget game.

Last edited:

quickwhips

If they want diversified games supermassive games would be amazing get for either but less for sony since they have the heavy rain studio churning out games like this.

DanielsM

Banned
Another silly thread, more or less Microsoft is just like every other publisher at this point. How will EA respond... how will Ubisoft respond... how will Valve respond, etc. (are pretty much the same thing.. silly)

The console warz are over, there are more than just Sony and Microsoft invested in game development and publishing.

Last edited:
No to anything Ready at Dawn related. But I may just be salty.

Weren't there rumors about Sega and even Silent Hills/Konami? Imagine the insanity that would ensue.

Another silly thread, more or less Microsoft is just like every other publisher at this point. How will EA respond... how will Ubisoft respond... how will Valve respond, etc. (are pretty much the same thing.. silly)

The console warz are over, there are more than just Sony and Microsoft invested in game development and publishing.

Do you seriously think that Google Stadia is competitive? Orcs Must Die! 3 might just give them a run for for their money!

Last edited:

Pallas

care to elaborate more on Ready at dawn? i know this is speculative. but i would think RAD would join sony before MS, considering their relationship. Not to mention there is a heavy rumor thats been going around of a new The Order title.

There was a rumor from Klob(I think?) a while back that Microsoft was interested in a studio that had worked with Sony previously and a lot assumed it’ll be RAD. I’d be completely shocked though if a new The Order title is made, it didn’t do too hot.

DanielsM

Banned
Do you seriously think that Google Stadia is competitive? Orcs Must Die! 3 might just give them a run for for their money!

Well, at some point they could be, as of right now, no.

I really don't see the point of all these Microsoft vs. Sony threads, why not Sony vs. EA threads or Microsoft vs. Nintendo threads? (is all I'm saying)

Last edited:

I really don't see the point of all these Microsoft vs. Sony threads, why not Sony vs. EA threads or Microsoft vs. Nintendo threads? (is all I'm saying)
Because they're not in direct competition of third party studios, they work with them. Microsoft and Nintendo don't usually go head to head, especially as of this year.

DanielsM

Banned
Because they're not in direct competition of third party studios, they work with them. Microsoft and Nintendo don't usually go head to head, especially as of this year.

I don't know what you mean but yes those are all direct competitors, EA has a digital PCstorefront and has to compete against Microsoft even on Xbox for software sales. Valve has a PC digital storefront and sometimes even releases games on Xbox... all of these are competitors.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

Do we really need to point out the obvious? EA is not trying to sell hardware that is directly affected by which games are or are not on the hardware.

Nintendo is after a different market.

DanielsM

Banned
Do we really need to point out the obvious? EA is not trying to sell hardware that is directly affected by which games are or are not on the hardware.

True, but what does this Microsoft vs. Sony thread have to do with hardware? This is software development acquisitions to sell software and services. All of these Microsoft vs. Sony threads are silly, generally speaking. Sony vs. Apple next?

The console warz are over.

Last edited:
True, but what does this Microsoft vs. Sony thread have to do with hardware? This is software development acquisitions to sell software and services. All of these Microsoft vs. Sony threads are silly, generally speaking. Sony vs. Apple next?

The console warz are over.

It's a general, objective statement proving the differences. Digital storefronts are irrelevant, you're missing the big picture.

I don't know what you mean but yes those are all direct competitors, EA has a digital PCstorefront and has to compete against Microsoft even on Xbox for software sales. Valve has a PC digital storefront and sometimes even releases games on Xbox... all of these are competitors.

Last edited:

spawn

They don't need to. Insomniac was already making exclusives for playstation like Spyro, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance series, and then Spiderman. They made 1 exclusive to xbox

Yeah i don't really see a need to do anything. It is more likely that Sony acquired Insomniac to counter all the studio acquisitions by Microsoft. That and Insomniac was already a good fit for Sony. Microsoft literally just picked up how many studios? I don't think they feel any pressure to pick up more.

The Alien

Banned
Very speculative. The rumor about MS acquiring a Sony friendly studio has been circulating for ~9 months.

The person quoted about an Order sequel recently retracted his statement saying he actually knows nothing of a sequel.

We don't know the $$$ Sony paid for Insomniac. They may not want to spend more for RAD (and also should have already done it if they were gonna pull the trigger).

i mean guy above me is right this was sony's response to their acquisitions

they will prob get a japanese studio now.

Only thing wonder is, what Japanese studio would be gutsy enough to sign with Microsoft exclusively when 99% of Japanese games generally sell horrible on Xbox though? Unless they acquire a lesser known, new or smaller studio perhaps.

I honestly think Microsoft could maybe try to even build a huge Japanese studio from ground up to develop games for their console.

The Alien

Banned

True....its not console wars any more...its content wars.

Sony and MS are essentially platforms. How will Valve respond is interesting cuz they haven't responded to anything Epic has done. Speaking of, aside from Epic buying Rocket League dev....who else is buying studios?

I don't really see this hurting Microsoft, Pretty much the only good games they have made is Ratchet and Clank and Spiderman and those have been PlayStation exclusives anyways. I mean sure there was Sunset Overdrive but that game sucked so bad I didn't even grab it when it was the free game with gold! :p

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
They don't need to. They acquired like 7 studios.

That would be like Switch fans saying at one point saying something like, "we got six mobile ports no one ever heard of this month and PS4 only got God of War. 6 to 1 - we win!"

Look at most of those "studios" Xbox got. They range from AA studios down to a couple people-teamed, most unproven, indie devs.

Now compare that to the like of Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman, Sunset Overdrive, Stormland and Spyro the Dragon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
To be perfectly honest, while it would never happen, Microsoft should acquire EA. It would be perfect. They get a war FPS in Battlefield, a sci-fi FPS in Titanfall, a sci-fi RPG in Mass Effect, a fantasy RPG in Dragon Age, all the studios and IP's plus sports games and Star Wars which could still be on other platforms since they kind of do that anyway.

Add in DLC, micro-transactions, etc. and it would all be a perfect fit for Game Pass and the quota that it needs to meet.

Realistically speaking, IO Interactive would be a good fit if they go back to making Hitman episodic as that fits in perfectly again, with Game Pass and their overall direction.

Gamernyc78

Banned
That would be like Switch fans saying at one point saying something like, "we got six mobile ports no one ever heard of this month and PS4 only got God of War. 6 to 1 - we win!"

Look at most of those "studios" Xbox got. They range from AA studios down to a couple people-teamed, most unproven, indie devs.

Now compare that to the like of Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman, Sunset Overdrive, Stormland and Spyro the Dragon.

Like seriously all they are doing is getting mid tier developers to fill gamepass with mid tier shit. I'll pass, no thank you.

Neolombax

Gold Member
Funny, I thought this was Sony's response to Microsoft's previous acquisitions?

In any case, none of them should acquire any studios if there isn't a need to.

Mochilador

Come on, take Playground Games for instance. They are one of the best developers in the industry right now.
Other studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian and Double Fine are all highly praised. Some of them make some niche games like inXile with the Wasteland franchise.
Only Compulsion Games and Undead Labs seem to me like the new kids on the block.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Come on, take Playground Games for instance. They are one of the best developers in the industry right now.
Other studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian and Double Fine are all highly praised. Some of them make some niche games like inXile with the Wasteland franchise.
Only Compulsion Games and Undead Labs seem to me like the new kids on the block.
You have to realize who you're talking to, he's one of the biggest Sony console warriors on here. Nothing MS could do would please him so you're just going to end up giving yourself a headache.

DanielsM

Banned
True....its not console wars any more...its content wars.

Sony and MS are essentially platforms. How will Valve respond is interesting cuz they haven't responded to anything Epic has done. Speaking of, aside from Epic buying Rocket League dev....who else is buying studios?

How is EA going to respond, shouldn't they be buying studios? What about Ubisoft? What about Valve? What about Nintendo? Just because they are two companies that are buying studios doesn't mean the other should or shouldn't. (why are their constant thread on these two companies? we know the answer... people still dreaming of console warz)

Its more like someones "wishes their was a war".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom