• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will Microsoft respond to Sony's acquisition of Insomniac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ookami

Why the hell do they have to respond? It was already Sony's response to Microsoft's multiple acquisitions. Also, THE INITIATIVE still has to produce games.

nikolino840

MS and Sony are on 2 different paths.

For Sony and the PS5, these big tentpole AAA game releases works for them. They all sell incredibly well, usually over 10 million and that pushes the Playstation.

For MS and Xbox, gamepass is their main focus. The problem there is that you need a constant drip feed of new content to keep people subbed. Having a big AAA game every 10-12 months doesn't work for that. You'll get people subbed for a month or two, and then bounce until the new first party AAA game goes on gamepass.
Thats why MS is more focused on smaller devs and devs who are maybe in financial trouble. They can buy them for really cheap, and have them create small games that can be made pretty fast and will fufill the drip feed need for gamepass.

So I do not see them purchasing a huge studio to make a big budget game. I think they'll buy 2-3 studios to make a B budget game.
The same problem with buying only big aaa studios,maybe could be Dangerous for Sony if ms monoplize indi and aa games..less titles in a year plus marketing and journalists if they have to talk more of Xbox games studios developers

D

Deleted member 762073

Unconfirmed Member
I mean Insomniac has a great legacy, but Sony buying them it's something on the same level of MS acquiring Playground games, they basically were already very tied to them.

But anyway since you want it to be a tit for tat, there was an insisting rumor a while ago that wanted MS to buy somebody that was historically connected with Playstation.

People thought RAD or Bluepoint

Last edited by a moderator:

nikolino840

"You know, we would like to see Game Pass on all platforms ultimately and I think that is a long term goal. We don't have any specific plans today, but we would love to see Game Pass really go everywhere."

head of gaming services Ben Decker

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I mean Insomniac has a great legacy, but Sony buying them it's something on the same level of MS acquiring Playground games, they basically were already very tied to them.

But anyway since you want it to be a tit for tat, there was an insisting rumor a while ago that wanted MS to buy somebody that was historically connected with Playstation.

People thought RAD or Bluepoint

They did, it was Double Fine.

They will be too busy responding to the kinekt recording scandal.
less titles in a year plus marketing and journalists if they have to talk more of Xbox games studios developers
Sony already has many more indie games on the ps4 than MS has on the Xbox one (this has been true since the launch of the ps4), they just don't get as much exposure as they often should, the press only gives lip service to indie game development coverag -probably because not that many people pay attention to it when the platform they play on has more aaa or aa games (not saying that I agree, I think it's just how people are).

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
This is the rare case where quantity>quality (not that MS new studios are bad or something) - games already take years to make, with one-two games being shipped by each Sony/MS 1st party studio in this generation, and with more advanced hardware I'm more than sure the development time will only increase even further, a.k.a. we will see even less games from them on PS5/XB2 during their lifespan (unless next-gen will last even longer than PS3/X360 era). So the more studios you have the better, as more often new exclusive games will show up. Because just because a game comes from a 1st party studio doesn't really mean you will have to like it - the setting, the story, the gameplay etc. might not interest you at all, so it's much better to have a different game on the horizon within next few months rather than a year or two. Nevertheless IG are one of my all time favourite developer, so it's great to see them under Sony's wings, hopefully they'll resurrect Resistance series, or at least let them play with Killzone universe, it's time to cut the crap with all those boring-ass 3rd person narrative-driven SP-focused games FFS.

nikolino840

They will be too busy responding to the kinekt recording scandal.

Sony already has many more indie games on the ps4 than MS has on the Xbox one (this has been true since the launch of the ps4), they just don't get as much exposure as they often should, the press only gives lip service to indie game development coverag -probably because not that many people pay attention to it when the platform they play on has more aaa or aa games (not saying that I agree, I think it's just how people are).
Not really,i'm talking about multiplats indi or aa,youtubers and journalists try and talk with the ps4 versions of aa and indi games even if they are on Xbox

With all the recent additions to the XBOX Game Studios, Sony pulled a huge move and acquired one of the best available, independent AAA studios.

In November, Microsoft will host XO19. Do you think there will be new studio announcements? If so who?

My personal prediction is 3 new studios announced at XO19:

1) Asobo...recently made Plagues Tale, but partnered with Microsoft in the past on ReCore as well as Kinect and HoloLens games...and apparently are currently working with Microsoft on Flight Simulator 2019.
2) Ready At Dawn...been a rumor floating for a bit. Could be a good fit. They recently opened a new studio space in CA (possibly funded by MS?).
3) Moon Studios...makers of 2 Ori games for XBox. Ori 1 was highest rated exclusive of gen for MS. Would be a quality studio to produce AA content for Game Pass.
Moon is the one that makes the most sense.

leo-j

Sell rare to Nintendo, or make them third party 🌝

Or announce Banjo Kazooie remake for Xbox next to compete with Mario 3D and the upcoming Jak game from naughty dog.

Lol nah too improbable.

GHG

Gold Member
This isn't like two sports teams competing with each other, I don't know why people treat it as such.

Any "response" you might see from Microsoft over the next few months (if they are still in the market for acquisitions) will have already been in the pipeline long before the Sony/Insomniac announcement was made.

These deals take months (and even years in some cases) worth of research, negotiations and due diligence before anything can be finalised.

TeamGhobad

Banned
tenor.gif

My wishful thinking would be MS buying the Mass Effect IP, from EA *a.k.a Entertainment assassin.. And make Obsidian make a proper ME game.
Please yes. Andromeda simply could not scratch that itch for me that the original ME trilogy (mainly 2 and 3) did. I'm literally feening for a solid space-based action rpg with the depth of the Mass Effect series. Maybe CDPR can base their next game in space.

Shifty

This isn't like two sports teams competing with each other, I don't know why people treat it as such.
Because that's what they want it to be, I figure. Sox vs Jets is easier concept to get your head around than long-game corporate maneuvering

mejin

MS is reacting to Sony since they entered the market, come on now.

there is no doubt they will continue to buy devs to destroy the market as we know and to push their paid service agenda. Sony will get less developers, but there is no way they will stop with Insomniac only. Playstation is way more important to Sony than Xbox is to MS.

Lone Wolf

Please yes. Andromeda simply could not scratch that itch for me that the original ME trilogy (mainly 2 and 3) did. I'm literally feening for a solid space-based action rpg with the depth of the Mass Effect series. Maybe CDPR can base their next game in space.
Starfield probably fits that category, although can we really trust Bethesda to deliver?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Or perhaps two multinational corporations each have their own independent acquisition strategies that involve buying appropriate targets when the time and price are right.

Yep, and this was posted last year, with more than likely talks for months and months prior.

Deals like this take time.

Last edited:

Raoh

MS and Sony are on 2 different paths.

For Sony and the PS5, these big tentpole AAA game releases works for them. They all sell incredibly well, usually over 10 million and that pushes the Playstation.

For MS and Xbox, gamepass is their main focus. The problem there is that you need a constant drip feed of new content to keep people subbed. Having a big AAA game every 10-12 months doesn't work for that. You'll get people subbed for a month or two, and then bounce until the new first party AAA game goes on gamepass.
Thats why MS is more focused on smaller devs and devs who are maybe in financial trouble. They can buy them for really cheap, and have them create small games that can be made pretty fast and will fufill the drip feed need for gamepass.

So I do not see them purchasing a huge studio to make a big budget game. I think they'll buy 2-3 studios to make a B budget game.

Great observation, makes sense

demigod

They will respond by buying more cheap mediocre studios. Xbox fans just love gobbing up those AA games thru Game Pass.

Elginer

care to elaborate more on Ready at dawn? i know this is speculative. but i would think RAD would join sony before MS, considering their relationship. Not to mention there is a heavy rumor thats been going around of a new The Order title.
There's a rumour of a new Order title?!! Do tell...

Vawn

Banned
It would but people just don't buy many copies of FF etc on Xbox.... don't know if the synergy is there.

You know SquareEnix is a lot more than Final Fantasy, right?
There's a rumour of a new Order title?!! Do tell...

I hope so, because The Order was far from a bad game. It wasn't a 9 or a 10, but it had a ton of potential and I very interesting story concept.

A lot of games don't really feel they need sequels, but they get them because they sold so well (The Last of Us). The Order feels like a sequel could really end up becoming a great game and a major franchise.

Starfield probably fits that category, although can we really trust Bethesda to deliver?

I couldn't find any gameplay videos (are there any?) but man ME left some big shoes to fill in my heart, thankfully Witcher 3 can scratch that itch somewhat but still...its something about space based story games...

Dane

Likely nothing, the Initiative is led by Ted Price with former staff from Insomniac and Santa Monica.

They'll probably acquire White Owl as it fits the criteria for their acquisitions (worked with Microsoft in a exclusive manner at some point), they already have the high profile games studios (Initiative, Turn10, Playground and 343) the others range from low size to mid size games (mostly midsize).

My wishful thinking would be MS buying the Mass Effect IP, from EA *a.k.a Entertainment assassin.. And make Obsidian make a proper ME game.

Lil trivia, some people actually think that Microsoft didn't make an acquisition offer, they did, but the investment fund which owned both Bioware and Pandemic refused.

And guess who was the president of that fund? John Riccitiello, the rest we all know...

NahaNago

They don't need to do anything since they just bought a bunch of studios themselves and are building one as well. Sony and Nintendo should still buy a couple more studios though.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Use Master Chief more, you got the best gaming character of all time and you didn't use him enough this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom