• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's hiring a Mergers and Acquisitions senior manager

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That'd be pretty incredible, especially since all the major IP holders are putting out remasters/remakes of their properties to stoke sales. It would be a huge get for Sony.

BluePoint is showing off their tech and the custom system they built for SotC at GDC in 2019, so it is a possibility.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
See, this is what I feared would happen when MS started buying independents up. If all the majors employ that strategy we end up with a Balkanized gaming landscape where everyone has less access to product, irrespective of platform.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
See, this is what I feared would happen when MS started buying independents up. If all the majors employ that strategy we end up with a Balkanized gaming landscape where everyone has less access to product, irrespective of platform.
I think this is necessary given the current state of gaming. AAA Devs are fleeing up-market as "indie" development continues to push into more genres and offer prettier, more-robust experiences. It's not unique to consoles, either. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Steam, GoG, Epic Game Store, etc are all investing millions into exclusive content to differentiate themselves from the competition.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

But hopefully gives those same companies more longevity and hope.

Blam

I doubt it. Microsoft is more open then sony ever will be so I'd have faith that sony is gonna fuck some shit up and then will lose their footing for next gen

entremet

I’m fine with this. Game development is a tough biz. If you can get under the wing of a platform holder your longevity is more likely.

Why does Sony need to buy more studios? Sorry, I just don’t know what the argument is.

what is it for you if they didn't buy any studios?. we get more games?. its fine to be indifferent. but to say they shouldn't is a different matter

microsoft and a lot of other companies are gobbling up all the good independent studios that are left.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Because if they don't, Microsoft, Amazon and possibly Google & Apple will.

So what? FOMO doesn’t seem like a sound business strategy nor does it guarantee quality consumer products. Look at the App Store, hundreds if not thousands of developers making games exclusively for iOS and yet...

fallingdove

what is it for you if they didn't buy any studios?. we get more games?. its fine to be indifferent. but to say they shouldn't is a different matter

microsoft and a lot of other companies are gobbling up all the good independent studios that are left.

So granted, while I would put myself in the indifferent bucket, as a PS4 owner I would much rather Sony invest in their online infrastructure than buy studios. My 1st party backlog is already longer than I will ever find time for, especially when you factor in all of the great 3rd party games that are coming out.

That said, if more studios meant that there would be greater variety in 1st party games, that would definitely be a plus.

So what? FOMO doesn’t seem like a sound business strategy nor does it guarantee quality consumer products. Look at the App Store, hundreds if not thousands of developers making games exclusively for iOS and yet...

So Sony would be fine without the exclusive games/studios it has currently under its belt?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I doubt it. Microsoft is more open then sony ever will be so I'd have faith that sony is gonna fuck some shit up and then will lose their footing for next gen

In what respect is MS more open?

As to Sony losing their footing, even after what, 3 years of misery, starting with PS3 launch and climaxing with the PSN hack, they still managed to come out of the gen with equal sales and greater momentum.

This time around they are ending the gen in an even stronger position, and considering that the transition seems likely to be far less technologically disruptive as the move from PS2 to PS3, the likelihood of them stumbling seems much lower.

Xbox is not gaining ground, sales figures make that abundantly clear.

12Dannu123

This was inevitable, especially when Netflix came into the entertainment industry. If you don't have enough money, you're irrelevant. Looks like Microsoft saw this a mile away.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
In what respect is MS more open?

The "whose the most open" arguments are stupid. The guy not in first place always has much more incentive to be more open than the guy in the lead and that is how it usually turns out. When 360 was killing it and Kutaragi's golden goose was laying rotten eggs is when Sony embraced indie devs like a long lost sibling and Microsoft's walled garden was behind an iron curtain. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

Last edited:

Dargor

If this is just about getting studios, I don't think this move is particularly great. Who are they even going to buy?

I would be more impressed if this was about getting some iconic IPs, but who is even willing to sell them?

If this is just about getting studios, I don't think this move is particularly great. Who are they even going to buy?

I would be more impressed if this was about getting some iconic IPs, but who is even willing to sell them?

Insomniac if they can, I'd assume.

Last edited:

Akuza89

Well given Microsoft's recent sweep of studio purchases, this doesn't surprise me.

Yes sony have some great studios, but quite a few are separate studios that just work on an exclusive basis.

Sony need to tie these guys down, then look at others to stand a chance against Microsoft next gen.

Last edited:

Dargor

Insomniac if they can, I'd assume.

I actually don't think thats a great get. They basically already work for Sony.

Well given Microsoft's recent sweep of studio purchases, this doesn't surprise me.

Yes sony have some great studios, but quite a few are separate studios that just work on an exclusive basis.

Sony need to tie these guys down, then look at others to stand a chance against Microsoft next gen.

Oh no, no, no, no, no.

The reason why Sony puts out so many great games is because their studios are not tied down, they do what they want for the most part.

So you get out of here with that.

Dargor

I think it's more to prevent someone else from buying them.

Though I know Insomniac like being their own thing, with enough money anyone will change.

I actually think Sony should go after IPs, not studios. Studios are just a business, if there are people there that Sony thinks would be great having, they can just make a job proposal and try to hire them, way less expensive.

edit: clarity

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Finally, now if only Nintendo would do the same as well.
I don't see Nintendo ever going this route. They value their unique corporate and game design culture far too much.

I think they literally would prefer to just hire more people and personally train them as opposed to spending any money on outside studios.

Maybe they'd buy Platinum or Silicon Studios but that is all I could see.

The Alien

Banned
Plot twist:

It’s in preparation for being acquired by Microsoft
Yep. They'll keep Naughty Dog and dissolve the rest of the studios. Then in 5 years time after asking Naughty Dog to revive the Kinect, they'll disband them too! Bwa-hahahaha!!!

Last edited:
I don't see Nintendo ever going this route. They value their unique corporate and game design culture far too much.

I think they literally would prefer to just hire more people and personally train them as opposed to spending any money on outside studios.

Maybe they'd buy Platinum or Silicon Studios but that is all I could see.

i think they'd rather just hire more people in the EPD department.

Fahdis

Big roll eyes to Sony for closing down:
Evolution
Liverpool

And now they want to acquire more. How about you take care of what you already have? We'll never see WipeOut and DriveClub 2 thanks to these idiots.

redfirm

Banned
Big roll eyes to Sony for closing down:
Evolution
Liverpool

And now they want to acquire more. How about you take care of what you already have? We'll never see WipeOut and DriveClub 2 thanks to these idiots.
Ehm what?? We have a wipeout on ps4 and Sony owns the ip of both of these games. if they want they can allow others Devs to make them. Sony has the best game studios in the world and if you want to stay active, you have to bring your a game, I guess those two studios did not

Top Bottom