• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How will playstation surpass ps4 next gen?

NahaNago

I'd have to agree with they won't crowd. This gen should have been an automatic win for Microsoft if they hadn't went to far in the evolution of gaming. With Sony using Microsoft's play book of a few big games each year and Microsoft using Sony's style of releasing several exclusives a year. Sony will go down next gen. Plus it kinda feels like Sony has abandoned Japanese gaming at this time which has always been a major help to creating the ps fanbase.

Calibos

This.

This is one of the biggest reasons I feel this idea of Sony worrying about MS is sorta silly. Sony very much sees that MS as a company is looking for their software moving better units on MORE devices vs creating exclusives.

Some either don't want to see it or admit it, or don't factor it in. This is a MAJOR thing, its MS saying they are not in the game of creating exclusives anymore, they are basically a 3rd party developer. So as someone that owns a PS console and gaming PC, MS has given me zero reason to buy a XB, in fact they've given me more and more reason to just keep my PC (or upgrade for next gen), so MS may have sold me on a few titles based on those purchases they made, but they haven't sold me on buying a XB next gen, but maybe that is the point of what MS is doing now. They can't move the same units as Sony on home console, they've tried for 3 generations and clearly this is a thing Sony knows like no other. They can't move to the handheld space as Nintendo has pushed even Sony out of that lol. What MS can do is leverage the PC market, but this means leaving behind this exclusive concept, which clearly will mean less XB sales. This makes sense for MS exact situation, but I see MS going further as its likely those rumors on MS looking to put titles on Switch could very much be true and I think its just the beginning of them moving to other platforms and going 100% 3rd party.

TLDR

This will leave the market even more to Sony, they will make PS5 clearly with titles you can only find on PS5 vs Switch, PC, phones etc. Someone like me has ZERO reasons to buy a XB next gen, I'll just do my same set up next gen PS5 and a gaming PC.

Sort of agree.

It's a little more like Xbox will be a platform that isn't lopsidedly dependent on selling consoles. They will have hardware for the people who don't want to buy a PC and upgrade year over year and deal with the maintenance. They will have an open Windows platform(phasing out of UWP and allowing win32 again is already happening) with the Xbox Live SDK enabled for all games. The same Xbox Live platform will be on mobile and Switch already has it with Minecraft.

So kind of between 1st and 3rd party with Xbox Live or Xbox Gaming platform being the framework for any titles that come from them. For them, this IS the best strategy they cuold have right now though. It's where their closest company competitors(Google and Amazon) are heading.

I think Sony can surpass this gen by simply repeating what they have done this gen while opening up their walled garden a bit more. They already have PS now on PC and it's crushing it so why not open the floodgates and add day one 1st party titles to it. Open it up to other platforms too if they will have it. I know that I would maybe pass on their next plastic box, but they would probably have a lifetime subscription from me if they had day 1 titles in there. I think as time rolls on and we all get even more connected, hardware specs wlll plateau and live services will be the way to make the monies so it's a no-brainer to invest more in the service stuff now.

Also, Bloodborne 2.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I'd have to agree with they won't crowd. This gen should have been an automatic win for Microsoft if they hadn't went to far in the evolution of gaming. With Sony using Microsoft's play book of a few big games each year and Microsoft using Sony's style of releasing several exclusives a year. Sony will go down next gen. Plus it kinda feels like Sony has abandoned Japanese gaming at this time which has always been a major help to creating the ps fanbase.

I would hardly consider always online/streaming/DRM to be the evolution of gaming. If anything, that is the de-evolution of gaming.

NahaNago

I would hardly consider always online/streaming/DRM to be the evolution of gaming. If anything, that is the de-evolution of gaming.

It is what is eventually going to happen. If not next gen then the gen after that or even the gen after that. Considering how massive online gaming is right now the use of what if you don't have internet becomes a lot weaker. Just think about how folks can't live without their phones and it's internet nowadays. The first step is getting game streaming popular with phone games and then slowly introduce it to console. First just use a small part of a game for streaming as extra free content for a game and then slowly increase that portion into full blown games.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
It is what is eventually going to happen. If not next gen then the gen after that or even the gen after that. Considering how massive online gaming is right now the use of what if you don't have internet becomes a lot weaker. Just think about how folks can't live without their phones and it's internet nowadays. The first step is getting game streaming popular with phone games and then slowly introduce it to console. First just use a small part of a game for streaming as extra free content for a game and then slowly increase that portion into full blown games.

That's what companies want but that doesn't mean they get what they want. If a company is offering a better product (natively) and which is generally cheaper, than people will buy it and there will a market. There might be a market one day for game streaming (I have my doubts) but its a fly on the backside of an elephant - not even measurable. Where virtualization has someone made a small dent is enterprise, but even desktop virtualization is rather small, but at least there the enterprise could potentially gather additional security or costs, but sometimes it costs more.

Generally speaking there is no upside for the consumer or limited, other than maybe additional options on mobile, cost will have to be more and quality of the gaming experience would be the negative side of things. People stream from their own devices today, can it be a nice feature, sure in a pinch, but even if it went away tomorrow nobody is going to get upset about it.

Sony would love if you guys would sign up for PS Now, but you're not. Microsoft would love that people would play their games on Win10 and download from Store, generally you're not, meaning consumers.

Last edited:
V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Having more platformers would probably improve it automatically for me.

Verdanth

Game catalogue wise MS is miles away from Sony, and while they can indeed shorten the distance next-gen, I dont see them matching Sony.

Sony only needs to keep delivering amazing exclusives and remember that, while technology is great, its not what truly sells consoles.

Surely they need to step up their ecosystem in many ways, but they should never forget: its all about games.

Players dont buy the most powerfull hardware just to sit there looking at it.

Google coming into picture may not be so threatening as it appears to be. They have their share of failing products, supposed trends that weren't trends at all. So them entering the race is a huge question mark for me.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
I don’t want any manufacturer to ‘dominate’. I want them all to do good because it will benefit the industry, and the consumer. Brand loyalty, and fanboyism is a fucking plague and should be called out every single time.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Just because companies want it to happen doesn't mean it *will* happen. Consumers are not dumb enough to buy into this concept, especially when it limits what they can do and restricts them in such blatantly obvious ways.

NahaNago

Just because companies want it to happen doesn't mean it *will* happen. Consumers are not dumb enough to buy into this concept, especially when it limits what they can do and restricts them in such blatantly obvious ways.

That is why I think doing a free to play game or free extra content in that streaming method would work since folks love free stuff. They will try it once if it isn't horrible they will try it again and then they got you hooked to where hey this isn't so bad and then you are willing to buy it.

That's what companies want but that doesn't mean they get what they want. If a company is offering a better product (natively) and which is generally cheaper, than people will buy it and there will a market. There might be a market one day for game streaming (I have my doubts) but its a fly on the backside of an elephant - not even measurable. Where virtualization has someone made a small dent is enterprise, but even desktop virtualization is rather small, but at least there the enterprise could potentially gather additional security or costs, but sometimes it costs more.

Generally speaking there is no upside for the consumer or limited, other than maybe additional options on mobile, cost will have to be more and quality of the gaming experience would be the negative side of things. People stream from their own devices today, can it be a nice feature, sure in a pinch, but even if it went away tomorrow nobody is going to get upset about it.

Sony would love if you guys would sign up for PS Now, but you're not. Microsoft would love that people would play their games on Win10 and download from Store, generally you're not, meaning consumers.

The streaming future is not something I'm hoping for it is just simply something that I see as inevitable. The code for getting consumers into it hasn't simply been cracked yet. If you could easily get ps5 quality games on a small little handheld screen for anywhere you want to go I can easily see that being a selling point, that would be awesome for Nintendo.

DanielsM

Banned
That is why I think doing a free to play game or free extra content in that streaming method would work since folks love free stuff. They will try it once if it isn't horrible they will try it again and then they got you hooked to where hey this isn't so bad and then you are willing to buy it.

The streaming future is not something I'm hoping for it is just simply something that I see as inevitable. The code for getting consumers into it hasn't simply been cracked yet. If you could easily get ps5 quality games on a small little handheld screen for anywhere you want to go I can easily see that being a selling point, that would be awesome for Nintendo.

Nice post, I generally disagree but that doesn't mean I know the future.

Generally, when a product/service is better - the consumer doesn't need to be cracked, although sometimes fine tuning a price point, or product can lead to a change in customer behavior. On that, you could be right but its been a decade. People aren't asking for this, that's the difference. I'm sure a company would love to sell rocks at the price of gold, the issue is no demand for rocks at gold prices, meaning they really don't want the rocks. There really is no customers because the customers are really not asking for it, what is their to crack?

You are saying it could be a selling point, but it could have been a selling point for nearly a decade. There is no excitement for the product because nobody is asking for it, generally speaking.

Thank you for the quality post, I get what you are saying, we'll just have to see in time. (I gave you a like even though I disagree on your points)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Unlike MS, all they gotta do is go on just the way they do now. Release the most powerful console, don't price it into the heavens, and keep pumping out those exclusives. Snatching up 2K wouldn't hurt either, propably.

I strongly believe that that is what made the PS4 succesful. It just had the games and the hardware all for a good price.

People are thinking way too difficult here. Most people buying a console only do so to play the next FIFA, COD or Madden on these things. The only question should be which place is the best to play these on...

The exclusives come afterwards, and if those are good too you might as well have just won a generation.

Most people buy a console to play FIFA, COD or Madden? Oh is that why they sell 80 million copies a year?

Shut your face. Your logic is flawed.

You're basically saying they are jailbreaking their own hardware and offering it elsewhere, haha. The console itself is irrelevant, I understand exactly what's going on... they're telling everyone. Sure their is a walled garden i.e. digitally either on their own service, Steam, MS Store, etc. the issue is its no longer walled off on hardware i.e. console. No reason for the console to exist, generally speaking.

There is limited reason why the big 3rd parties would target Xbox Two, as they can just target Win32 and sell on their own launcher or via their current distribution channels like they do today on PC. Most of the reasons to own a console for them is going away. Nobody is saying there isn't a walled garden, its just the wall isn't on the console, its in whatever garden you want it to be on PC.

You really dont get what their doing and pretending you do. They are projecting a good level of console sales the first year of the new Xboxes, and some plans, which we should get more info on at E3, are designed to increase hardware install base.

All you see is Xbox and PC in the same sentence and jump to a conclusion people have been repeating for 15 years.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Sony Surpass with help of this little beauty girl

D1I9LYCU8AITdRK.jpg

DyFdCPPUYAYPaco.jpg

Gravity rush 2 Remastered and Gravity rush 3 in 4K, will be Awesome.

DanielsM

Banned
You really dont get what their doing and pretending you do. They are projecting a good level of console sales the first year of the new Xboxes, and some plans, which we should get more info on at E3, are designed to increase hardware install base.

All you see is Xbox and PC in the same sentence and jump to a conclusion people have been repeating for 15 years.

My guess, Xbox as a Console sales for 2019 will be below last years bad number (6.9m units), if they officially announce the ability to play Xbox games on Windows 10, may guess is significantly drop off, if they continue to announce native support for exclusives (Steam release or other), it will go down even further, imo. I would not be surprised, if this year is the worst full year Xbox has had, even worse than the original Xbox years. The console sales are immaterial, they would rather you booted up your Windows 10 machine and installed your game from the Microsoft Store so they can stop making consoles. Microsoft doesn't care about console sales, but they will sell you one for the time being until the rest of their services are completed. I would not be surprise by the market getting flooded by used Xbox One Xs going forward.

Not sure what you mean by the last sentence, Microsoft is telling you where they're going and have been for 5-7 years, you just don't want to listen. ( you really are not discussing anything at this point )

There are always holdouts at the end, just a matter of how long they hold out. The console warz are over and have been for quite some time.

A Japanese soldier who refused to surrender after World War Two ended and spent 29 years in the jungle has died aged 91 in Tokyo.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-25772192

Last edited:
You're copletely wrong on what they are going to announce. You'll see later. Also I was talking about the next Xbox.

But even then the One will sell more than last year most likely.

DanielsM

Banned
You're copletely wrong on what they are going to announce. You'll see later. Also I was talking about the next Xbox.

But even then the One will sell more than last year most likely.
I never claimed they weren't going to release another Xbox hardware, I would actually be surprise if they don't. I believe some of the disc-less Xbox One and Xbox Two rumors are true or partial true. They don't have the whole staging area built for you cattle, you're at the beginning stages of being moved, they'll have to pickup the pace soon to get you to the new holding pen at some point. I would suggest they get the cattle prods out, say some Xbox Live fee increases - get you slow moving cattle going in the right direction. (if you don't know what this means, it means you should consider thinking harder)

" It seems that every time we meet, I have nothing but bad news. I’m sorry about that, I truly am. But for what it’s worth, you’ve made a believer out of me. Good luck, kiddo. " -The Oracle (The Matrix Reloaded)

Last edited:

rəddəM

PC > Consoles.
The only way consoles can survive is by offering something PC can't, and that is practicality, low prices and exclusive content.
Why bother with XBox when M$ PCed it. Everything XBox has to offer you can play it better on PC.
Sony on the other hand seems to care very much about its PlayStation brand by making sure it have the best game makers exclusively working on it.
And that's why consoles are still relevant. Sony and Nintendo have their own ecosystems with exclusive experiences, if Sony continues down the same path with a more powerful box, better games, online services and OS they can't go wrong. Backwards Compatibility being a given of course.
Edit: Full HDMI 2.1 bandwidth support and 4kUHD BD driver too so that it can be complete and future proof.

Last edited:
Near photo realistic graphics.

Look at the jump from PS3 to PS4, compare The Order 1886 to anything on the PS3, now if the jump from PS4 to PS5 is as big then yeah, I expect near photo realistic graphics.

Or to be more exact I imagine environments will basically look real, but it's the human face that of course provides the most challenge, it may not be even possible to make a human face that looks 100% real through CGI thanks to the uncanny valley, but it can be damn close.

It would also nice to see Sony remove the stick up it's ass and become less politically correct.

I never claimed they weren't going to release another Xbox hardware, I would actually be surprise if they don't. I believe some of the disc-less Xbox One and Xbox Two rumors are true or partial true. They don't have the whole staging area built for you cattle, you're at the beginning stages of being moved, they'll have to pickup the pace soon to get you to the new holding pen at some point. I would suggest they get the cattle prods out, say some Xbox Live fee increases - get you slow moving cattle going in the right direction. (if you don't know what this means, it means you should consider thinking harder)

" It seems that every time we meet, I have nothing but bad news. I’m sorry about that, I truly am. But for what it’s worth, you’ve made a believer out of me. Good luck, kiddo. " -The Oracle (The Matrix Reloaded)

Your whole post continues to show you don't understand how they are executing their service and console plans. You are only seeing surface level articles and making assumptions with no evidence. They aren't "jailbreaking their console" you arent "buying Xbox games" on pc to play on PC. You're completely misunderstanding the idea. If you dont like them fine but spreading misinformation is a bit low.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever happens, I hope we are all alive and economically set next gen bros.

EDMIX

Sort of agree.

It's a little more like Xbox will be a platform that isn't lopsidedly dependent on selling consoles. They will have hardware for the people who don't want to buy a PC and upgrade year over year and deal with the maintenance. They will have an open Windows platform(phasing out of UWP and allowing win32 again is already happening) with the Xbox Live SDK enabled for all games. The same Xbox Live platform will be on mobile and Switch already has it with Minecraft.

So kind of between 1st and 3rd party with Xbox Live or Xbox Gaming platform being the framework for any titles that come from them. For them, this IS the best strategy they cuold have right now though. It's where their closest company competitors(Google and Amazon) are heading.

I think Sony can surpass this gen by simply repeating what they have done this gen while opening up their walled garden a bit more. They already have PS now on PC and it's crushing it so why not open the floodgates and add day one 1st party titles to it. Open it up to other platforms too if they will have it. I know that I would maybe pass on their next plastic box, but they would probably have a lifetime subscription from me if they had day 1 titles in there. I think as time rolls on and we all get even more connected, hardware specs wlll plateau and live services will be the way to make the monies so it's a no-brainer to invest more in the service stuff now.

Also, Bloodborne 2.

"I think Sony can surpass this gen by simply repeating what they have done this gen" agreed.

Even what they did this gen is basically what they did the generation before. If they keep making new series and established IP, they'll be fine.

Norse

It won't . It may be #1 with PS5, but added competition will keep PS5 from ever touching PS4 numbers.

DS_Joost

Most people buy a console to play FIFA, COD or Madden? Oh is that why they sell 80 million copies a year?

Shut your face. Your logic is flawed.

Uhm either that or Fortnite. Those are the biggest sellers...

And shut my face? That is a hell of an argument I gotta say? Should I be afraid now or what?

And why not elaborate on why my logic is flawed instead of telling me to "shut my face"?

Quality debating here...

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Uhm either that or Fortnite. Those are the biggest sellers...

And shut my face? That is a hell of an argument I gotta say? Should I be afraid now or what?

And why not elaborate on why my logic is flawed instead of telling me to "shut my face"?

Quality debating here...
When I read it, it seems a bit excessive. Sorry that's how my buddies and I talk to one another. Just busting your balls

DanielsM

Banned
Your whole post continues to show you don't understand how they are executing their service and console plans. You are only seeing surface level articles and making assumptions with no evidence. They aren't "jailbreaking their console" you arent "buying Xbox games" on pc to play on PC. You're completely misunderstanding the idea. If you dont like them fine but spreading misinformation is a bit low.

The irony of your posts.

You're completely misunderstanding the idea. If you dont like them fine but spreading misinformation is a bit low.

Yet, you have failed time and time again to provide anything of substance other than a vague, "you just don't understand" comment. There is nothing to discuss in any kind of way because you are not offering any type of real rebuttal or information. I welcome you to provide something of substance other than your opinion that I don't understand. Maybe you should take some time and reread what I have written, maybe the key is for you to read. (if you really want to see Microsoft's future (heck its already here), you should start reading their official blogs and youtube channel)

Good eat a cookie, and remember you don't believe any of this crap, you'll feel better.

As soon as you step outside that door. You'll start feeling better. You'll remember you don't believe in any of this fate crap. You're in control of your own life, remember? Here, take a cookie. I promise by the time you're done eating it, you'll feel right as rain. - The Oracle (The Matrix)

Last edited:

GamerEDM

Banned
i think sony and Nintendo are going to slowly start to die after next gen unless they can figure out a way to match Google and Microsofts streaming technology.

DS_Joost

i think sony and Nintendo are going to slowly start to die after next gen unless they can figure out a way to match Google and Microsofts streaming technology.

Indeed, I can finally stream all those fantastic Microsoft exclusives... oh wait... THERE ARE NEXT TO NONE...

On a more serious note: I mean it. Streaming will not mean jack squat if Microsoft doesn't fix their line-up problem. So far, Phil Spencer has been promising the world but unless I see those games on display, working, and out there I do not take anything the man says at face value. Get me something good to stream in the first place. I wouldn't touch a Google project with a ten feet pole either because they create services then abandon them recklessly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom