• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would "No Russian" be reacted to if it were released in 2022?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
While reading the “we need more gore” thread today, “no Russian” from MW2 came across my mind. I don’t see gaming as lacking gore per se, but subject matter is absolutely toned down.

This mission would never see the light of day in 2022. Even with all of the warnings, making it an optional mission, etc.

Would the game be banned? Would Activision be sued?

I think there would be more than just bad media coverage.

We’ll literally never see a mission like it in a game again. Ever. Which is a damn shame, because I just watched Hotel Mumbai on Netflix and I don’t see Hollywood ever shying away from more touchy subjects. Game developers need more balls. Why is gaming not allowed to do what Hollywood does?

Last edited:

Represent.

In those days "No Russian" has the option to not be played, in the current time we are I think people will want to cancel the game or some social media shit, it was shocking then and it will be shocking now
I think even with the option to skip it, today it would never see the light of day. No way in hell. And if it did, at I would be cancelled and boycotted. Smh

jaysius

Banned
COD was known for it's "WTF" moments back in the day, without it's shock moments it's nothing at all.

They wouldn't be able to do a No More Russian anymore, unfortunately because games can't just be what they are, dumb games, now they need to be elevated to something dumb in culture and society, and recanted any time a tragedy happens.

People now understand a bit more so video games don't lead to violence. People forget how much backlash games got back then for "leading to violence". Now that is considered more of a fringe idea. I honestly think it would hit the mainstream more due to social media but it would be a debated scene as it should be. It wasn't just about gratuitous violence.

In those days "No Russian" has the option to not be played, in the current time we are I think people will want to cancel the game or some social media shit, it was shocking then and it will be shocking now

I think the option would still remain. Maybe now with a warning or message prior to the game.

Bragr

Banned
Movies have scenes like this all the time, why cant a game have it? This bothers me
It's wrong in the movies too.

It's hollywood glorification on serious matters, it's just disgusting nonsense. I understand that people don't give a fuck about others, the world is sick, but some base level of respect for innocent slaughter is needed in this world. It's as bad as pedophilia.

jaysius

Banned

It's hollywood glorification on serious matters, it's just disgusting nonsense. I understand that people don't give a fuck about others, the world is sick, but some base level of respect for innocent slaughter is needed in this world. It's as bad as pedophilia.
Wow, your sense of logic is... just incredible... incredibly flawed.

It sounds like you don't understand how art works.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Theyll be outrage....outrage everywhere.....especially with whats going with Russia and with like how many mass shooting in the US in the last 6 months?
I can almost guarantee the devs would patch that shit out in the day one update assuming the game was already gold.
If not they are removing that stage and making it a cutscene.

Thats of course assuming the "mainstream" media hear about the stage otherwise it will just fly by.
Movies have scenes like this all the time, why cant a game have it? This bothers me
Which Hollywood blockbuster has had scenes of mass murder anywhere near what No Russian was?
Like mowing down a bunch of civilians with a car, or maybe some mass shooter in a mall or something?
Are civilian casualties usually killed enmass in movies?

P.S:
I have no problem with the game having it, its a frikken game.
Im just genuinely curious if scenes as depicted in No Russian actually make it into any Hollywood Studio movies.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

5a5dd1e86e2d0bef688b5460d0637a71.gif

jaysius

Banned
I do, and this has nothing to do with art.
Well you're wrong.

Art is whatever, there's taste, your comments are on taste and how strong your distaste for extreme violence in a certain medium. You take your distaste of violence and insanely juxtapose it against sexual perversion.

Last edited:

Represent.

Theyll be outrage....outrage everywhere.....especially with whats going with Russia and with like how many mass shooting in the US in the last 6 months?
I can almost guarantee the devs would patch that shit out in the day one update assuming the game was already gold.

Thats of course assuming the "mainstream" media hear about the stage otherwise it will just fly by.

Which Hollywood blockbuster has had scenes of mass murder anywhere near what No Russian was?
Like mowing down a bunch of civilians with a car, or maybe some mass shooter in a mall or something?

P.S:
Im just genuinely curious if scenes as depicted in No Russian actually make it into any Hollywood Studio movies.

off the top of my head. both on netflix too

Last edited:

RaZoR No1

I think even with the option to skip it, today it would never see the light of day. No way in hell. And if it did, at I would be cancelled and boycotted. Smh
IMO Superhot Suicide act/mission (only read about it) should tell us how it will go.
Didnt they even remove that act completly in the end?

If the "No Russian" mission had been released this year, especially after the most recent Texas school shooting, legislation would be at the President's desk within a month to ban any depictions of gun violence in games. Meanwhile, sensible background checks and an age limit for AR15 rifles would still be a partisan issue. That's America.

Bragr

Banned
Well you're wrong.

Art is whatever, there's taste, your comments are on taste and how strong your distaste for extreme violence in a certain medium. You take your distaste of violence and insanely juxtapose it against sexual perversion.
There is a level to violence, and the slaughter of innocents is a different thing than just average movie violence. It's the far end of disgusting, just like pedophilia. It's both perversions.

Art is not whatever, art will easily be able to tell a story without having to suffer such perversions.

jaysius

Banned
There is a level to violence, and the slaughter of innocents is a different thing than just average movie violence. It's the far end of disgusting, just like pedophilia. It's both perversions.

Art is not whatever, art will easily be able to tell a story without having to suffer such perversions.
I guess you haven't watched A Serbian Film.

P.S:
Red dawn
Invasion U.S.A

Last edited:
If the "No Russian" mission had been released this year, especially after the most recent Texas school shooting, legislation would be at the President's desk within a month to ban any depictions of gun violence in games. Meanwhile, sensible background checks and an age limit for AR15 rifles would still be a partisan issue. That's America.
Which is why depictions of guns is still happening? They would just give thoughts and prayers, talk about mental health then move on.

Someone should make a mass kill all the white cishet men simulator, now the media reasponse on that would be interesting…

Yoboman

It would be less controversial now

"No Russian" was released while everyone was still in peak fear from terrorism, plane hijackings and anti Russian sentiment is way higher now than it was then

Anti game sentiment was also much higher then with massive backlashes against games like GTA from boomers, Christians and politicians trying to ban any violent games

If some people in positions of power had their way, all depiction of guns in games would be prohibited and each teacher in the country would be provided a tax-payer funded handgun to do a police officers job.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/texas-congressman-blames-rap-music-140000666.html
This is the same song and dance after every mass shooting, divert the blame and hope people don't really think about the actual problem. Plus, America is all about depictions of guns. There in political ads .

ManaByte

Gold Member
Which is why depictions of guns is still happening? They would just give thoughts and prayers, talk about mental health then move on.
If some people in positions of power had their way, all depiction of guns in games would be prohibited and each teacher in the country would be provided a tax-payer funded handgun to do a police officers job.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/texas-congressman-blames-rap-music-140000666.html
This is the same song and dance after every mass shooting, divert the blame and hope people don't really think about the actual problem. Plus, America is all about depictions of guns. There in political ads .

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

You're going to get this thread locked.

Oh I know, I live here.

Real weapons in the hands of people = good

Pixel weapons wielded by gamers = bad

At least, according to one political party.

Fbh

It was left untouched in the recent 2020 remaster and no one seemed to care.
I don't really think it would be that big of a deal unless the game is releasing in close proximity to a big mass shooting.

It doesn't involve race or identity politics which is what truly matters to the Twitter brigade.

Represent.

It would be less controversial now

"No Russian" was released while everyone was still in peak fear from terrorism, plane hijackings and anti Russian sentiment is way higher now than it was then

Anti game sentiment was also much higher then with massive backlashes against games like GTA from boomers, Christians and politicians trying to ban any violent games
No way would it be less controversial now after all of the recent mass shootings. Hellll no. It would be worse now than ever before

No way would it be less controversial now after all of the recent mass shootings. Hellll no. It would be worse now than ever before
Say all the recent mass shooting doesn't mean much in the greater context of damn near everyday. "No Russian" would be fine. Has anyone checked if a mass shooting happened the year it originally shipped?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
off the top of my head. both on netflix too
I actually watched Hotel Mumbai.....dont think it qualifies as a blockbuster.
It had a ~15 million dollar budget and I dont think it ever made that money back.
I dont think it even got a wide release.
That would be the equivalent of a random indie game having excess violence in their game the "mainstream" media wouldnt give a damn.

Havent heard of No Escape....5 million dollar budget.....I see why.
Will still give it a go, it has Pierce Brosnan so it cant be too bad right.

When I was talking about Hollywood blockbusters I was talking about comparative to the level that we call AAA, COD is a major title that even non gaming media would cover, so it having something "shocking" may cause outrage from all those people who dont actually play COD.

So when you was saying Hollywood does it all the time, I was trying to think what blockbuster has that kind of civilian mass murder.....and I couldnt really think of any.

Maybe no violence explosions or gunfights vs "the bad guys" but generally civilians dont have violence violence committed upon them enmasse.
If you really think about whats going on in the No Russian mission, I highly doubt a Hollywood movie would get away with anythin even near that level of innocent life loss so graphically....even with "no blood" it would be pretty chilling.

Red dawn
Invasion U.S.A
Are you being serious?

Top Bottom