• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you feel if Smash for Switch only got minimal contents, like Mario Kart 8 D

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Question: How would you feel if Super Smash Bros. for Switch only got minimal contents, like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe did?

I would like to emphasize the question is mostly for the people who already purchased Super Smash Bros. for 3DS or/and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

At Switch Presentation, we finally got the announcement of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe after the teaser we got in the preview trailer. We just found out that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe wouldn't have any new tracks for Grand Prix so the new features are more likely to contains: 4 characters, revamped battle modes and battle arenas.

There are some people reacted harshly toward to the idea Mario Kart 8 Deluxe wouldnt have any new race tracks. Basically they put their foot down and made their points that they wouldn't purchase MK8D at full price or not picking up the game at all. It made me wonder how people would reacts to the idea that Super Smash Bros. for Switch would get minimal contents.

Also if you are going to say that Super Smash Bros for Switch isn't confirmed yet. I would like to point it out that Smash Bros itself was dropped by Reggie.

Depends on what the content is.

If I have to get another GameCube controller adapter that works with the Switch. I'm not buying.

At the very least, I would hope it consolidates the 3DS and Wii U content into a single package. But yeah, new stages and characters would go a long way to incentivize a purchase.

rekameohs

Banned
I don't think it's an "if", I think it's probably a certainty at this point. I'd like to say that I'd wait for a discount before double dipping, but I would want portable Smash digitally and that ain't never getting a sale. IDK right now, basically.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I want all of 64 levels, 3DS levels and most of the Melee levels. Characters... not fussed.

Madao

characters would be a big deal for SSB, unlike MK8 where the character doesn't do much beyond being a kart accesory.

so, if it goes like MK8, i guess we'll get maybe 1 new character and a returning veteran (Ice Climbers probably since they were only cut due to the 3DS version not being able to handle them)

which bring me to the next worrying thing. i hope they scrapped roster parity for this port or we'll have a bad reaction.

random25

Like I mentioned before, getting some QoL updates and all the DLC characters, stages and cosmetics will make me content about this game. Mixing the 3DS and Wii U contents would make me happier. Getting more like additional characters and new stages will be a big bonus.

Mandelbo

Yeah gonna echo people in here hoping that it brings together the content from the Wii U and 3DS versions - I sort of doubt it'll happen, but I can dream.

The real question is what will they call it? "Super Smash Brothers for Nintendo Switch"? It seems like that would preclude the Switch from having its own installment.

KarmaCow

The non-skin DLC all together is almost $60 I think so I would be fine with a $60 port.

Though it would kinda annoy me to have the 3DS version without the DLC at that point.

It's good for people who haven't played the games, however I won't be buying either. £49 for a rehashed game with a few small changes I have already purchased, no thanks. I have enough games without the need to revisit one that hasn't changed enough.

eltercero

While I don't think (or, at least, I don't want to believe) that this will happen, I'd still buy it. I'm just a huge Smash fan.

A deal breaker would be dropping the support for Gamecube controllers. Since the Switch have USB, I really hope we can still use the adapter.

I am tempted to buy it again if it includes all dlc.

With Smash 3DS I learned to allreciate handheld Smash and having Smash WiiU on Smash would be ace.

watershed

Banned
I'm most likely not gonna pick up the game because of the lack of enough new content and also I don't want to pay Nintendo to play online. I know the game launches within the free period but eventually it will be paid and online multiplayer is the big attraction of MK8, second only to local multiplayer.

Ice Climbers and Squid Girl/Boy, Stages from 3DS/Wii U & DLC. Maybe a couple new stages or a new mode.

Also GCN Controller better work.

If it has that day 1, if not probably still day 1 but not excited about it.

For $60, MK8's content is worth it with all the dlc and 4 characters. Perhaps they should give them all for free(I mean the 4 new characters + battlemode) or at least battle mode for the wii u owners.

As for Smash Switch.. I REALLY hope LKD's rumor about having 3ds and wii u content together on switch is true(including all the dlc characters and stages for no extra charge). That would be perfect. That and two characters(from another rumor) would be great too.

I'll likely buy smash switch either way, as I'll be moving on from wii u soon after I get a switch and beat all my games on them.

Neoxon

If Source Gaming's intel is on the money (2 new characters, BotW Mii Costumes, a bunch of 3DS content), I'd be okay with it as long as we can use the GameCube Adapter.

KHlover

Banned
As long as it contains all 3DS and WiiU stages+game modes+DLC I'd buy at full price again. Ice Climbers would be nice for some people I guess and of course I wouldn't say no to new stages. The adapter should work, if it doesn't I would not buy. Home console Smash without Gamecube controller = no sale.

AGoodODST

Smash with all the WiiU/3DS content consolidated, all the DLC and a couple of new characters and stages would be a pretty good deal.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Buying all the DLC is actually quite a bit, if they bundle it all in it would be a decent value. Especially if it had the 3DS and Wii U Stages.

Like I mentioned before, getting some QoL updates and all the DLC characters, stages and cosmetics will make me content about this game. Mixing the 3DS and Wii U contents would make me happier. Getting more like additional characters and new stages will be a big bonus.

Yep, this for me. I'm honestly okay with not expecting much more than a GotY version like MK8. Anything more would be a HUGE bonus for me.

-Add Smash Run from the 3DS version (MUST)
-Add totally new characters (three sounds OK for me) plus returning (Ice Climbers)
-New stages (3-5)

Neoxon

I wouldn't care in the least. These titles are for people who didn't own a Wii U. The Switch will get its own Smash and MK
I wouldn't be so sure, especially in the case of Smash. Assuming that Sakurai's doing a different project right now or is doing a different project after the port, we probably won't get another Smash game for another 4 years at the least. Unless Sakurai gets to Smash 5 right after Smash 4, we may not get another Smash game on the Switch beyond the Smash 4 port unless Nintendo moves forward without Sakurai.

Crayon

I dont mind repurchasing a game but having to repurchase all digitally owned dlc is a real terrible thing to get over. If I had a wiiu and those games with all the dlc, I would just keep the Wii u hooked up and consider it a soft mark against the switch.

If so few people splashed out for the Wii u games, I think it would be right for Nintendo to do something for them like transferring ownership of at least the dlc. That would be a good way to reciprocate the support.

Honestly, combining the 3DS and Wii U stages with nothing else is enough for me lol.

More balance patches = even more of a lock. IDC about new characters.

Unless it's Isaac from Golden Sun.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Happy?
The less they waste resources on GOTY editions, the better
And both games would have tons of contents anyway

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
My post in Super Smash Bros Community Thread

Yeah it would definitely depend on the amount of characters and stages added to the game. The whole only two new characters would have me considering if I should even bother. Especially if Smash switch would change the controller support.

I think some people who owned Smash 4 for 3DS or Wii U and DLC probably would agreed with you there. I found out that most people I know aren't interested to pick up Smash for Switch if the rumor is true about two characters only and it received only minimal contents.

They doesn't really want to waste their money on the game for two characters. Even couple of people said they don't really want to pay 30 dollars per (two) characters since they don't really care about stages or anything else. Even Sakurai acknowledged that characters are the source that would bring the excitement to the franchise.

That's why I felt that we are in sticky situation with Smash for Switch and it's hard to predict what would happens.

For me, I'm more likely to buy Super Smash Bros for Switch on day 1 because I'm a sucker for Super Smash Bros franchise even I probably wouldn't have a good numbers of people to play with online if they chose to not buy the game in term of minimal contents.

I have my MK8 disc still, so I don't need to buy that again, but since I sold off my 3DS copy of Smash, I guess that'd be okay? Never played any of the DLC characters, so it'd be novel content for me anyways I suppose.

Meh. Sure, SSB and MK8 were the 2 very best games back in 2014 but having to pay slightly enhanced versions of these gems at full price in 2017 leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Still, those who didn't have a Wii U are in for a treat. I won't be surprised if I find MK8 and SSB in many players' GOTY 2017 personal lists. Those who ignored the Wii U will finally find out what they've been missing all these years.

Neoxon

I'm thinking this port might be called Super Smash Brothers. Deluxe

Sounds better then Switch at least
That could actually work, & it would offer a bit of consistency as far as the enhanced Wii U ports go.

Meh. Sure, SSB and MK8 were the 2 very best games back in 2014 but having to pay slightly enhanced versions of these gems at full price in 2017 leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Still, those who didn't have a Wii U are in for a treat. I won't be surprised if I find MK8 and SSB in many players' GOTY 2017 personal lists. Those who ignored the Wii U will finally find out what they've been missing all these years.
Assuming that Source Gaming is right, 2 characters & a bunch of 3DS stages is a decent update all things considered.

random25

I wouldn't be so sure, especially in the case of Smash. Assuming that Sakurai's doing a different project right now or is doing a different project after the port, we probably won't get another Smash game for another 4 years at the least. Unless Sakurai gets to Smash 5 right after Smash 4, we may not get another Smash game on the Switch beyond the Smash 4 port unless Nintendo moves forward without Sakurai.

Just to go off-topic, but what if the new Smash Bros. for Switch uses the same assets as Smash Wii U for the characters with slight graphical upgrades to speed up the development process? I believe Smash Wii U has perfected the looks and animations of just about every character in the game, and I don't see any more reasons to build the characters from ground up. More time will be spent on balancing the game, new characters and stages, as well as conceptualization of new game modes.

That way, the dedicated Smash for Switch will have less lead times, less work for Sakurai and easier turnover from production to retail.

Matbtz

Since I bought Smash 3DS/Wii U and DLC, maybe I won't if it's just for 2 characters.
I love smash but I am not the biggest fan of the franchise and don't play it weekly. Given that my Wii U will be plugged alongside my switch maybe I'll pass.

For MK8, I wish we had more tracks but since it features my all-time favorite Nintendo character : Bowser Jr. I'll buy it :) in hope of DLC along the way at the same price of Wii U's ones.

MrPanic

I honestly doubt it will have anything new added to it, at this point I even doubt they will mash all of the contents from both the 3ds version and the WiiU version together.

If the switch version has all the dlc, modes and stages from both 3ds and WiiU versions I'll probably pick the game up again at some point. Though some new characters would draw me in right away, some Switch specific characters like Inkling, Spring Guy and Bomberman as a new classic character seem like no-brainers to add.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom