• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How would you like Nintendo's franchises to change with the Cafe?

Thoraxes

I'd honestly just like HD versions of titles they're already making/have been making. They still continue to innovate in their franchises, and I honestly feel like they can do whatever they want in the mechanics department. However, I'd like them to make them actually hi-def.

They innovate with each title they make in most games, and that's honestly god enough for me. I never thought Mario could do more, and then I got completely blown away with Galaxy 1 and 2. I honestly can't wait to see what they do with the next console installment, because man, they hit a perfect spot with Galaxy.

watershed

Banned
This isn't so much about improvements or changes made to an existing IP but I would love to see what Monolith come up with for a major RPG title for the cafe. Looking at Xenoblade, that game is amazing, and imagining what they might come up with, it is likely to surpass all hd console rpgs of this generation.

If the next rpg they make is in the Xenoblade series then I would like to see them keep the open world/tradition rpg world design instead of going for something like FFXIII or how the Mass Effect games handle worlds and world maps. In terms of combat I'm fine with the system used in Xenoblade Chronicles but I'd like to see better animations for the enemies in terms of how they react to being hit and fighting in general. So kind of like having the animations and collision detection be like Monster Hunter while keeping the mmo like combat system in place.

Of course they must get Mitsuda and Shimomura back for the music.

Edit: also I want Nintendo to give the title major support like confirmed release dates for all regions at the same time even if its not a simultaneous release, huge advertising and simply giving the game a big budget. It should be the flagship RPG experience on the cafe and it shouldn't come near the end of its life cycles. I know huge RPGs take time but come on Nintendo, plan ahead.

Truth101

Banned
Ookami-kun said:
I honestly prefer linear platforming with "multiple" paths being more like Super Mario World.

And that "replace Star Fox as humans" clearly have no idea what he's talking about. Because apparently turning them into humans would make the game suddenly better!

EDIT: Oh god, look who's in this topic!

It was only a matter of time, man. Just a matter of time.....

Star Fox Cafe should be huge and epic, and have battles that go from space to air to land and back to space without loading or transition screens.

See the Star Fox Cafe thread for many pages of discussion.

This sounds so good. You know... I'm now going to be disappointed in whatever Star Fox we get =[

watershed

Banned
beast786 said:
I would love to see Zelda change with Cafe.

Have linked aged and much more realistic graphics but still keep the connection The game will have real time effectt on link. Bruises , scars etc etc. Voice over and narrative.

Back in the world of Hyrule,

Open world game, with setting more close to LoTR more gritty environments.

16948_the_lord_of_the_rings.jpg

The game will be SP but would have a multilayer component within its SP campaign.

Meaning. As you travel as link you will go city by city. Each of those city are going to be ruled by other players. Within each city there will be a quest. The Guest player would protect that city from Link , and could create an army and obstacles .

It would be a create and share model in a Magical world against the protagonis.

You do realize your asking for Fable 3 right? IMO Zelda games aren't about that. There is no city management or property ownership. Link doesn't rule anything. Also I don't see a need for any multiplayer in Zelda besides a 4 swords style adventure spin off. Having multiple Links the the same game world where the narrative plays out would be terrible in my opinion. I would never want to see another Link running around in my game.

Neiteio

For Star Fox, I'd like the following:

- Three-to-one vehicle-to-on-foot mission ratio. In other words, for every three Arwing, Landmaster or Blue Marine missions, there'd be an on-foot mission.

- The Arwing can transform into a bipedal mech for ground combat ala the unreleased Star Fox II on Super NES (or, more recently, Starhawk).

- Vehicle missions would be either on-rails or on-rails/free-range.

- On-foot missions would be on-rails run-and-gun/hack-and-slash in the vein of Sin & Punishment, as well as arena-style sandbox scenarios in the vein of Warhawk/Starhawk.

- Treasure would be a stellar dev choice. In my wet dream, Treasure co-develops with Factor 5 in a carefully coordinated East-meets-West melting pot of brilliance.

- An epic single-player campaign, and a separate two- to four-player co-op campaign, local and online. This way you have scripted wingmate moments in single-player, and separately you have co-op where your friends ARE your wingmates.

- Also, 32-player online multiplayer, Warhawk-style, with free-for-alls or team-based 16-on-16 matches. You can work in your planet-to-space-and-back-again scenarios here.

- All in 60 fps 1080p, of course. :)

I want Nintendo to stay as far away from story as possible, outside of their RPGs.

I also want Nintendo to just do whatever they feel is right for their series because, well, they're the game devs

Zoc

This goes for all Nintendo's franchises:

I want them to keep the same clean, simple style they use for most of their games, and just make it run at the highest resolution and best frame rate possible.

At the same time, I hope they use the added resources from a powerful system to make their games more dynamic, with more moving elements: birds in the sky, trees waving in the wind, etc.

Aside from obvious opportunities like greater scale and level of detail, my hopes for Nintendo franchises are tied more to design choices and less to hardware. Of course, you always want games that feel intuitive and take advantage of the controller, and it's still not certain what that will mean with Project Cafe. One thing I'd really like to see in general is Nintendo giving more free reign to young talent on important projects. In Iwata Asks interviews you always hear about how much freedom the designers had in the NES/GB days and the crazy ways each franchise or sequel came about, as opposed to how tightly controlled their major IPs are now. I'd love a Mario or Zelda with the typical Nintendo polish that isn't concerned with playing it safe, or better yet an entirely new Nintendo franchise with the same creative clout as their old mainstays.

beast786

artwalknoon said:
You do realize your asking for Fable 3 right? IMO Zelda games aren't about that. There is no city management or property ownership. Link doesn't rule anything. Also I don't see a need for any multiplayer in Zelda besides a 4 swords style adventure spin off. Having multiple Links the the same game world where the narrative plays out would be terrible in my opinion. I would never want to see another Link running around in my game.

There will be single link. Your Friends create worlds Offline and have them placed in cities (create and share) There is no ownership in respect with Link. There will be a quest. And it would be up to the Guest to defend the quest against link.

To me its more of Zelda + LBP+ Demon Soul.

Instro

Nintendo main line series generally evolve enough with each iteration, I dont want any of them to do complete genre switches or something stupid like that. Big changes without changing the base formula is fine by me. Many people seem to just be asking for X game to be more like Y game. As they are main franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are unique and cant be experienced elsewhere so changing in ways that make them similar to other games seems pointless.

If they have new ideas just make them new into IPs instead of completley fucking around with their established stuff. Either that or make it spinoff if its something really worth making.

What Id prefer to see is taking the current franchises and simply expand the scale and scope, continue to make moderate changes with each new iteration, add online support where applicable, etc.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You know something is bad when people force "create-your-own stuff" on games that aren't meant to have that.

I want everybody who would buy beast786's version of Zelda to be disappointed.

I want a richly animated, cel-shaded world in keeping with the promise made to me during the SNES era. Wind Waker was not enough. A rich world, full of chickens, farmers and old crotchety men for the first moments, and then expansive dangerous clifftop castles, rivers, forests, craggy mountains. Friends, enemies, helpers, mysterious swords glimmering in the light, and the knowledge that someone needs me to be a better hero to save their life.

I want this to be done with rich animations, careful colour choices, a sense of scale and a bit of bravery. I don't care if its HD, but if HD lets them get to this place, then HD is the best thing in the world.

Neiteio

Wolves Evolve said:
I want everybody who would buy beast786's version of Zelda to be disappointed.

I want a richly animated, cel-shaded world in keeping with the promise made to me during the SNES era. Wind Waker was not enough. A rich world, full of chickens, farmers and old crotchety men for the first moments, and then expansive dangerous clifftop castles, rivers, forests, craggy mountains. Friends, enemies, helpers, mysterious swords glimmering in the light, and the knowledge that someone needs me to be a better hero to save their life.

I want this to be done with rich animations, careful colour choices, a sense of scale and a bit of bravery. I don't care if its HD, but if HD lets them get to this place, then HD is the best thing in the world.
Hire this man, Nintendo. :)

maeda

I just want a fully seamless world for Zelda. That is all.
And what is with all these people wanting Nintendo's popular franchises changing to fit some pattern established by other games? Why not just play those games?

Medalion

Banned
I am in the belief despite the boost in graphical and procesing power, Nintendo will be mostly par for the course and keeping the franchises close and true to their roots with slightly updated graphics for HD but not a huge leap in art styles. And I would be fine with that.

KevinCow

Banned
I want Metroid and Zelda to have completely seamless worlds. No hidden loading doors. No loading elevators. No Link riding off into the distance and fade to black as it loads the next area.

Zelda in particular, I think they should play a bit of the Assassin's Creed series and Darksiders. Look at the huge cities, with waves of bustling NPCs roaming the streets. Stick a giant castle in the middle, and that's what Hyrule Castle Town should be. And what would be really cool is if I could traverse the buildings with the hookshot or something, and eventually even reach the top of Hyrule Castle.

Venturing out of the town, let's turn to look at Darksiders. Let's look at how War enters the first dungeon. Not kicking the door open, but the way he just opens the door, and boom, there it is, the dungeon. Then you walk through on your own - the game doesn't take control and force you to walk through as soon as you open the door, like in Zelda.

That's what I want in Zelda. A fully streaming world and a big bustling city.

Chet Rippo said:
Donkey Kong Country Forever

Donkey Kong Country & Robin

Gravijah

KevinCow said:
Zelda in particular, I think they should play a bit of the Assassin's Creed series and Darksiders. Look at the huge cities, with waves of bustling NPCs roaming the streets. Stick a giant castle in the middle, and that's what Hyrule Castle Town should be. And what would be really cool is if I could traverse the buildings with the hookshot or something, and eventually even reach the top of Hyrule Castle.

Link should be a young poor youth in Hyrule Castle Town. So tasty.

beast786

Ookami-kun said:
Sandbox games.

Because the last thing Zelda needs is a "create your own dungeon" shit.

I cant thing of a Genre that does not have create and share. With the help of cafe and hopefully a robust MP. Why limit it.

As per what zelda needs. I am sure you are an expert of it.

I don't really see the jump to HD all of a sudden offering that much more opportunity to do stuff that they're not doing now. Most of the posts in this thread corroborate that.

That said, I hope they do a few things:

Offer better online. I am resigned to the fact that they are going to use friend codes again. Still, at least allow a fully-featured online component to the multiplayer games.

There's no reason that Brawl can only be played online in free-for-all modes, instead of offering the multitude of options (1v1, 2v2, item switches, level switches, etc.) that are available in local multiplayer. That is if the game was actually worth playing online because of the ridiculous lag. Why can't all multiplayer games be online? Online NSMB, online Wii Sports even. There's no reason holding them back.

Change up Mario Kart.
I'm usually okay with how much Nintendo innovates their franchises. Mario Galaxy is different than Sunshine is different than Galaxy. Also, the heavy hitters like Smash usually come once a generation, so there's not much franchise fatigue.

That said, Mario Kart has been hitting twice a generation (console and handheld), and it really hasn't changed much since 64 (sans the excellent Double Dash). I don't know how I want it to change, and I realize it might not have too much room for growth within its genre. But I want change.

Continued innovation with POINTER CONTROLS. I'm sick of whiny hardcore gamers that never actually played the Wii complaining about the controls. Aside from the ergonomics of the split controller, pointer controls offered so much. I could play a whole game based on the Yoshi controls in Mario Galaxy 2.

Call of Duty and Conduit perfected the point-to-shoot controls. Speaking of Mario Kart, how about, instead of entirely luck-based item usage, you actually had to aim your shells and bananas and whatnot with the pointer while you drove with the analog stick? The items could be completely innovated with this in mind. And that's just one racing subgenre. Unfortunately it looks like Nintendo kowtowed to the wishes of the so-called hardcore, and I guess the fault of that is threads like this.

Gravijah said:
Just port FSA to the 3DS. Or remake it on the Cafe. Pwease.

They need a new one. My brother and I have played the one on Gamecube SO MANY TIMES. It rarely gets old, but what is getting old is the battery life of the GBA SP.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
beast786 said:
I cant thing of a Genre that does not have create and share. With the help of cafe and hopefully a robust MP. Why limit it.

This person must be the result of them forced multiplayer games.

Also I thought you "ignored" me! IGNORED!

Azure J

I'm all for Niro's Valkryia Wars/Advance Chronicles idea. As for the main concept of this thread, I want Nintendo to do what Nintendo does best and produce good gameplay married to strong visual styles, but beyond that (and this may be more of a policy change than anything else) I want Nintendo to either stop being afraid of or get bold with experimenting with more internally developed games and make new franchises with the same potential for staying power and marketing effort behind them as the Marios, Metroids, and Zeldas. I'd also like them to start trying to push their ntire catalog into the audiences' eyes and thus making sure that while the Fire Emblems and the like may not light the world on fire, they are still getting their dues as opposed to wholesale cutting them off at the ankles or leaving their efforts in Japan.

I'd also like to see Nintendo tackle different times/locale inspirations in newer games. I want an urban RPG with a 80s Brooklyn Graffiti art aesthetic. How about something old-Hollywood styled? Maybe something like that hole in the ocean that was recently discovered? Or what about those massive salt crystal mines that had been discovered previously? And then there's always cyberpunk... The possibilities are endless and as much as I'm not clamoring for it like mad, I wouldn't lie to you and say I wouldn't get excited if Nintendo tried to tackle something with these inspirations serving as a backdrop for overall aesthetics.

Also StarTropics. :p

Reposting some stuff from another thread on that:

The thing about ST that's really interesting versus "random scrambling through Nintendo's backlog for something to make new again" is that it has so many different pieces unto itself that when refocused could lead to any number of interesting different directions, as opposed to just a straight "do it like it used to be" revival. For example:

- Should it be more like a Saturday morning cartoon version of Uncharted with liberal Nintendo-isms? The original games already set a good framework for this with the "chapter" set up and progression, and the separation between action -- dealing with deep cave trekking, mysterious area investigations or treasure hunting -- and interactions with the cast and personalities present on the island "overworlds". There's also the extraneous things like the characters, Mike being described just as a regular high school kid, his Uncle a pretty famous archaeologist, and the alien kids & princess that could pretty much act as his ambassadors on different worlds (should there be an increased emphasis on venturing through more alien worlds on top of the earthly ones). Surprisingly enough, even though this is the one I support most (mainly because it fills a gap that other Nintendo franchises don't in making a "Indiana Jones"-like title), it's just as open to different interpretations as anything else. Look at how many people say it could be a more modern Zelda for example. Personally, I don't agree with this one because I feel as though it'd only help to make this series lose any shot it once had at a distinct personality or gameplay identity because of the inevitable comparisons to the mainline Zeldas. Let Zelda be Zelda in gameplay and design and let StarTropics have a chance to become something different, something that it can only be when it's unhindered by expectations or designs prominent in another series.

- As mentioned before, the series already possessed a strong western audience slant and even though the elements were crude, there was enough there to make a basis for a future entry with a more serious (re: the universe could be built up and taken more seriously, not a cry for "herp derp moar matoor") effort towards creating a universal but western influenced series. While I certainly would love it if the series would retain certain humors and charms that 1990 Nintendo toyed with (dressing in drag to infiltrate an island full of warrior women, blocking psychic suggestions... with bananas lodged in his ears) you can see that a lot of elements that were put into the series (especially the second game) were there just because they seemed funny/were forced gags as opposed to something thought out and used with the hopes of making something that was just genuinely funny (the entire time travel shtick in the second game, Cleopatra wanting a pizza, Merlin being your psychic advisor through time, etc.) Imagine what kind of potential it would have if it was given a new life and people who understood both game design and western culture could have a go with the franchise?

- Adding on to the previous, Nintendo has goddamed Retro, a studio praised highly for superb world design, art direction talents, and a really positive attitude towards working on Nintendo IPs and making them into something new entirely. Couple that with the idea that they are entirely American, and you have the potential to give them a series that could seem almost natural coming from them depending on how wild you allow them to get in the design of things. It'd be a great way to show off Retro's ability to make different varied franchises viable, a good way to show that Nintendo's library isn't limited to just Marios, Zelda, Metroids and the like, and a good way to start up an audience for adventure games without taxing EAD3 for "moar Zelda plz" given how long it has taken them to get their direction and show something for Skyward Sword throughout this generation.

Finally, I want Nintendo to try harder to provide an online presence that goes beyond just a shop for their VC stuff and maybe foster some sort of XBLA variant which they can use as a testbed for newer ideas that might not be full featured enough to hit normal retail, but have the potential to be fun and could blow up with enough exposure.

beast786

KevinCow said:

I love the Link/Assasin Creed combination.

Adam J.

I'd like a re-imagining of the original Super Mario Bros. with 3D Dot Game Hero style graphics, full chiptune soundtrack, and borderline masocore level design.

I'd also love to see them do an xbox prime time type thing like 1 vs 100, but with WarioWare.

Loam

I would like to see another Zelda game with an eerie atmosphere and in depth character interaction reminiscent of Majora's Mask. The fact that each town person had a story to tell coupled with such a unique atmosphere really made the game stand out for me, and has yet to be bested by any later installments of the series IMO.

I'd also want Sin & Punishment 3, a new Star Fox focused solely on arwing and landmaster missions, or a new IP that follows the formula of these two games. On rail shooters are sadly a genre that's been lacking for quite some time now.

In general I hope that that Nintendo's new system offers more function in terms of online play, which at the very least is comparable to what the 360 and PS3 currently offer. The Wii had some really great multiplayer games which didn't really get a chance to shine do to the systems limited online function.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I want mario to have an even more streamlined design than SMG2, and also: A PROPER SCORE SYSTEM AND ONLINE LEADERBOARDS.

I want smash to have a good online system.

I want fzero to have a good online system. massive tournaments, leaderboards

I want starfox to have online coop. with a headset for communication of course.

Triton55

Mario: Something crazy. Pipes that lead to 2D gameplay on the controller's screen, stuff you do down there influences the world on the TV screen. Mario and Luigi co-op. Mix of open-ended worlds and linear worlds. Great draw distances and tons of stuff going on in levels.

Smash Bros: Comic book style. Handful more characters, several more 3rd party characters. Costumes. Improved online, improved stage builder. Take pictures with controller camera (?) to use as backgrounds. For online with friends, you can use the forward-facing camera to record your facial expressions which would be displayed in a small box where your damage meter is.

Metroid: Return of Metroid Prime gameplay. Samus has a control panel on her arm cannon that is displayed on the controller screen. Atmospheric effects apply to control panel as well, with water droplets and such that can be wiped off.
If not Metroid Prime style, then 2D hand drawn sprites (co-developed by Good Feel for animations?)

beast786 said:

Why are you such a prick to people?

I can think of a heap of genres that don't have create and share. It benefits the rest of production by allowing other types of work to happen.

I would love for Zelda to be in a fuller world, but I also really like games without multiplayer because so far in game history, games with multiplayer elements have had poorer single-player design. This isn't just a trend, this is a observable tendency over several generations with only a handful of notable exceptions that are still disputable.

Wolves Evolve said:
Why are you such a prick to people?

I can think of a heap of genres that don't have create and share. It benefits the rest of production by allowing other types of work to happen.

I would love for Zelda to be in a fuller world, but I also really like games without multiplayer because so far in game history, games with multiplayer elements have had poorer single-player design. This isn't just a trend, this is a observable tendency over several generations with only a handful of notable exceptions that are still disputable.
Cmon bro, four swords

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Remember everyone, this thread is about respectfully discussing and sharing ideas. Even suggestions of extreme changes are welcome here.

Almost everyone here is doing a fantastic job of that, and there are some great ideas flying around.

If you want to have a more blunt conversation, please use the other thread.

zallaaa

SaintMadeOfPlaster said:
I want a Zelda game with a Hyrule that is just massive. It should take at least half an hour to travel from border to border on horseback. Especially if they return to a more exploration heavy title. I know this is wishful thinking, but it would be nice.
First thing I thought, but in over-the-top, beautiful 2D. Also, make the world extremely interactive with lots of secrets, hidden passages and side-dungeons/quests.

Nirolak said:
Remember everyone, this thread is about respectfully discussing and sharing ideas. Even suggestions of extreme changes are welcome here.

Almost everyone here is doing a fantastic job of that, and there are some great ideas flying around.

If you want to have a more blunt conversation, please use the other thread.

Wouldn't Punch-Out!! and Animal Crossing need major changes to their visuals?

Game&Watch could just be in 1080p and in black and white and I'd still grab it.

In terms of audio, Mario Kart will need a bigger sound engineer team. It won't have any excuse for compressed shoddy audio anymore, not with Cafe's power.

Games like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 have spoiled my ears. I hope Pikmin has tons of background audio going on that I could fall asleep listening to with the TV on.

I wish Golden Sun would make a console debut. I love the game for its gameplay and story, but man the sound and graphics suck. It's like dating an ugly woman for her personality. That once in a while feeling of "sex would be great if you just put on more makeup".

beast786

IchigoSharingan said:
Game&Watch could just be in 1080p and in black and white and I'd still grab it.

That is so full of my child hood. I have actually saved all my Game and watch. I have about 20 of them.

IchigoSharingan said:
I can't even imagine how GORGEOUS Pikmin will be on Cafe.

I can. I'm imaging my backyard with little pikmin in it right now.

I remember how that game blew me away the first time I saw it. I think I was maybe 15 or something maybe younger, but I thought everything looked awesome.

Top Bottom